test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Incursion is a Holoprogram

sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
Am now sure of this

largely because BORG surrendered

thus I am counting this as a holographic simulation NOT a mission (thus anyone damaged in it can consider themself still a living person)

I NEARLY deleted a character just now then I realised

Borg SURRENDERING?

Borg Sabotaging at all

Borg at all

got to be a simulation
Live long and Prosper
Post edited by sollvax on

Comments

• Options
    fiberteksyfirfiberteksyfir Member Posts: 1,207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    Am now sure of this

largely because BORG surrendered

thus I am counting this as a holographic simulation NOT a mission (thus anyone damaged in it can consider themself still a living person)

I NEARLY deleted a character just now then I realised
    Borg SURRENDERING?

Borg Sabotaging at all

Borg at all

got to be a simulation

Why would the Borg surrendering cause you to almost delete a character?
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    My guy got assimilated

now the two characters who have suffered this fate in MISSIONS were deleted
    this one gets to live because borg DON'T surrender
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    walshicuswalshicus Member Posts: 1,314 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    What mission are you talking about?

EDIT: Nevermind - you're talking about the Starbase Incursion repeatable.
    http://mmo-economics.com - analysing the economic interactions in MMOs.
  • Options
    tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Am now sure of this

Borg SURRENDERING?

Borg Sabotaging at all

Borg at all

got to be a simulation

I don't see Borg surrendering, you're right there.

The Borg sabotaging is reasonably common though, see the Enterprise episode and I'm sure some of Voyager.
  • Options
    kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Yeah its an ENT episode is called "Regeneration" there is a part where it looks like the Borg start assimilating the Enterprise but the Borg components later TRIBBLE with the ships power and weapons systems when they start fighting the Borg vessel.

The Borg don't surrender though. The drones have no mind of their own and are completely expendable. Entire fleets of cubes are completely expendable. The only part of the collective that is not expendable is the Queen, and I don't think even she would surrender either.
  • Options
    liquidacid29liquidacid29 Member Posts: 2 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    lol here comes sollvax making up more ridiculous things
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    danielpenfolddanielpenfold Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The borg should not be doing that should they really.:)
    I'm so happy :D
  • Options
    mistree89mistree89 Member Posts: 28 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    They might surrender if their link to the collective was severed by the damage your team had inflicted I suppose so although it's a stretch it's not implausible really.

As for the sabotage it could simply be them adapting their tactics. It was part of the Borg Queen's plan in Voyager to get Seven to develop a way of infecting humanity with nanites that would adapt the species over generations. Not really that far stretch of the imagination to believe they are conducting some raid of this sort to infect local supplies on a smaller scale.
  • Options
    assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My guy got assimilated

Why would you do that? Your character could found a club with Picard, Seven of Nine, Icheb, Janeway, Tuvok, Torres and Hugh. You could even print t-shirts. "The Borg assimilated me and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Why would you do that? Your character could found a club with Picard, Seven of Nine, Icheb, Janeway, Tuvok, Torres and Hugh. You could even print t-shirts. "The Borg assimilated me and all I got was this lousy t-shirt."

sollvax has the belief that Borg are zombies, you can't ever be unassimilated and that he has "counter assimilation nanites" in his head so if he does get infected by a borg he dies...

that's why he deletes characters that get assimilated

he explained this through his usual barely coherent crazy ramblings in another thread
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    My guy got assimilated

Allow me to be very clear on this point, and mind you this is only my personal observation.

You are certainly within your rights to roleplay this game to the point that you would consider a character "lost" if they ever once got assimilated. It seems extreme to me, but I won't criticize you for that.

However, the choice to delete them is yours and yours alone. No other player, and not Cryptic, forces you to do that or is to blame for that decision.

I get the feeling that you are unhappy that you can't force the game and other players to fit into your worldview. If I'm right about that, I'm sorry you feel that way.

Play the way you want, but please don't expect the rest of us to conform or agree. When all is said and done, this is only a game and we'd like to just enjoy the entertainment.

For the record, I agree... having the Borg show up in this particular scenario isn't very consistent. With all of the other races in the game who might try to sabotage a starbase and who might surrender, I don't see why the Borg need to be included in this.

If pretending that it's a holoprogram simulation helps you enjoy it, then I'm glad you found a way to enjoy it.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    syberghostsyberghost Member Posts: 1,711 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    It does take place on Holodeck, after all. :)

Although, what does that make it if you play it on Tribble...
    Former moderator of these forums. Lifetime sub since before launch. Been here since before public betas. Foundry author of "Franklin Drake Must Die".
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I'm gonna find sollvax in game and stalk him with my liberated borg captain :D
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I've read a lot of Sollvax's posts now and I have to ask...

Do we know for a fact that Sollvax isn't actually a cleverly renamed SuperLink?

The posts are almost identical - difficult to read/understand and always with a my-way-or-the-highway vibe to them.

Seriously, anyone ever seen them together? We may be looking at a Clark Kent/Superman scenario here.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    timelord79timelord79 Member Posts: 1,852 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I don't understand the complaint.

Obviously the Borg are looking for relics of their third dynasty we stole from worlds that they decided to retreat from since the primitive cultures there overthrew their overseer.

Perfectly consistent Borg behaviour. :cool:
    11750640_1051211588222593_450219911807924697_n.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Anyone "stalking" me with a liberated borg risks having his/her implants removed and Prune juice applied to the wounds (it has powerful curative properties if you are klingon according to Michael Dorn in an interview some years ago)

I have noticed a couple of other odd behaviours in this simulation as well
    Including "flying" Gorn
    and a Sab spawned approximately 2/3rds of the way into a crate
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wow you become assimilated in Incursion, might have to go try it out. Didn't it help Picard fight the Borg in First Contact, when he could hear them and target the correct system to destroy the cube? :P
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    No
    it didn't
    he was potty at that point

He was "hearing voices"

so unless you think joan of Arc was assimilated by the british??

But yes incursion is THAT broken that you can get characters facing the borg there
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    wolvenshirewolvenshire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    No
    it didn't
    he was potty at that point

He was "hearing voices"

so unless you think joan of Arc was assimilated by the british??

But yes incursion is THAT broken that you can get characters facing the borg there

You do know when you are fighting Borg in space and you see the red alert boarding "lights" on your screen, the Borg have boarded your ship and are Assimilating your ship and crew. :D

About Joan of Ark, heck I wasn't alive then, maybe she was. (what does she have to do with a Star Trek game anyway) :P
    @EremiticWolf - Join Date - Oct. 2008
    [
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    I wonder how he does STFs since you can be assimilated during them not to mention the fact even the normal mission drones can "infect" you with nanites... pretty much every ground and space Borg can either assimilate you or infect you with nanites as one of their powers.. it happens pretty much every single fight.. he must delete a lot of toons or just do no endgame content
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The second

After I completed all of them i STOPPED

and yes its cost me 2 VA level characters so far
    only Three made the cut

"endgame" is nothing if you are dead
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    The second

only Three made the cut

so you have endgame characters that you won't let do any of the endgame content ... well they sound useful
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    VA's are Desk rank
    (retired)
    some of them are still running story missions (but are safely past the Borg now)
    One has retired entirely and now merely acts as Command and control for my Alt fleet

See "end game" means "game over" for some of us

Now I have enough Alts i can be playing GOOD (non STF ) content for several YEARS
    Any new content is worth more than 30 Times as much to me

I expect eventually to have a full set of retired characters
    and THEN ill start a new account
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    if you character is retired than he no longer has a rank

I find it odd tho that you would willingly ignore the largest section of content... I mean leveling is fun but very short for an MMO... like a day and a half of /played time to get from Lt. to VA. just doing missions... and how is repeating STFs over and over and different than starting new toons and repeating the story missions over and over...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The second

only Three made the cut

so you have endgame characters that you won't let do any of the endgame content ... well they sound useful

I wouldn't do it myself, but I figure it's sollvax's business what he does with his own characters.

It's one way of making the game extremely challenging, if you look at it that way. It's not any more far-fetched than the folks who wanted a hardcoded permadeath option.

"Win or die."

How many players can claim a character that's played through each STF to the end and never lost a battle against the Borg? According to him, he's got three of them.

If the main goal is building characters for PvP, then that endgame content is only good for obtaining the gear you want and can't get any other way.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Naval and starfleet officers above COMMANDER retain title until death
    And Retired as in "desk job" like dear old Quinn

who incidentally is only a RA at best
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    standupguy86standupguy86 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    reyan01 wrote: »
    I'm with you on this one.

I said in another thread that I felt it out-of-character for the Borg to TRIBBLE around sabotaging when they are famous for assmiliation. Another poster pointed out that they could be sabotaging prior to, or to faciliate, assimilation, but not convinced - their method of sabotage IS assimilation. The don't beam aboard and break things - they assimilate them. Starbase 82 (from Infected Space) being an excellent in-game example.

The Borg's presence, and out of character actions, in Incursion ARE best explained away by it being a holoprogram.

Its been explained a number of times that the Borg we are dealing with now are not the same Borg we have known from the shows. They dont behave like classic Borg. The STFs were supposed to open all of this up and reveal whats made the Borg change. But Cryptic has lost sight of all of that.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    maybe they assimilated a lot of VERY scared people with Gas??
    #
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    eldioraeldiora Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I phasered, destroyed, slashed, TRIBBLE, kicked, mauled, assaulted, anihilated, butchered, slaughtered, obilerated millions of Borg so far.

I have seen ingame an Elite Tact Drone running away from my Duralloy Steel Boots of DOOM MK Roundhouse Kick.

So yeah probably the Borg are finally getting that they are being killed wave, after wave after wave in the millions, probably billions and there is no light at the end of the tunnel except for the light out of my phaser rifle.