test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Mars rover: Curiosity

centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Ten Forward
Tonight or tomorrow, depending on where you live, the Mars Rover Curiosity lands on the Martian surface.

So in the midst of the Olympics, take a moment to cheer, pray or simply hope for the success of a one ton robot as it rockets to the landscape of the red planet. Be it we discover life, water, oil, the simple thrill of learning, or a stepping stone to the greater space beyond, here's hoping to the success of one small robot hurtling through the vastness of space.

And may it's eight month journey, be only the beginning.

Watch the NASA livestream here.
Post edited by centersolace on

Comments

• Options
    paulymanpaulyman Member Posts: 228 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    absolutely... this is a very important and monumental event for the world and the ever dwindling into non existant U.S. space program.

Maybe we should all cross our fingers that they do find oil on mars and watch funding for NASA apper all of a sudden. lol
  • Options
    nyniknynik Member Posts: 1,626 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I hope everything goes well as this mission will have significant effects on future funding of extra-planetary exploration. I hope to tune in from 5/6 am + (GMT iirc) to see history being made.

Here is a good artistic rendition of whats going to happen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwinFP8_qIM
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Wil Wheaton is narrating a special feature on Curiosity on that NASA Livestream, like, RIGHT NOW.

EDIT: Both William Shatner and Wheaton have been asked to narrate two versions of the same video.
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    commadorebobcommadorebob Member Posts: 1,223 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    So NASA made it to Mars before STO?

(Wow, I cannot believe I typed that...)
    "If you have never used Cello, I'm not interested in your browser opinion."
    edited August 2012
    Best of luck to all the engineers and personnel responsible for the Curiosity Mars rover. Thank you for your hard work in this audacious attempt at learning more about the red planet.

May the landing go just as planned.

-Forjo
    My oldest post (that I can find)
    Former Cryptic User #11424
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Stop the easily abused and unfair auto-silence "feature"!
  • Options
    doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Why is this historic again? We've sent rovers to mars before. Because this time we are getting a live feed thats 14 minutes old that will show Curiosity just before she touches down?

How many USS Curiosity are flying around STO right now? Im sure theres a few lol.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • Options
    darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I second, third and fourth this. What an awesome achievement this represents for man. May it be the small stepping stone to greater and more wondrous things.
  • Options
    psiameesepsiameese Member Posts: 1,648 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I'm streaming NASA in HD right now. Roughly a half-hour before the craft enters Mars atmosphere. 7 minutes of terror for the team. To see if the craft survives entry.
    (/\) Exploring Star Trek Online Since July 2008 (/\)
  • Options
    pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited August 2012
    T-minus 17 minutes! Things are looking really good! Reminder from OP, livestream is here: http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ustream.html

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Landing was a success! Congratulations to the entire NASA and MSL team! This is a VERY historic day! I've got goosebumps lol

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    IT'S LANDED!!!

Oh phoo it's seems Brandon beat me to the punch. :P
  • Options
    blastenblaster1blastenblaster1 Member Posts: 33 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    now Que Transformer to destroy rover and invade the earth
  • Options
    tacofangstacofangs Member Posts: 2,951 Cryptic Developer
    edited August 2012
    Wooooo! It's down, wheels on the ground, and 2 pics in already. Exciting times.
    Only YOU can prevent forum fires!
    19843299196_235e44bcf6_o.jpg
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    The Invasion begins......again. ;)

Be interesting what Curiosity will discover with her better equipment and if she will live as long as her cousins (1 is still going).
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Best tweet of the night about it: "@Satire - If @MarsCuriosity had the forethought to install @foursquare it would totally be the Mayor of Mars."

Also, @LarryNemecek's: "For all you kids who didn't get to sit through Mercury, Gemini or an Apollo moon landing, THIS moment is for you! #MarsCuriosity GO!"

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    xenor002xenor002 Member Posts: 424
    edited August 2012
    That was an amazing landing. I was practically holding my breathe with those guys when waiting for confirmation.

Those pictures are incredable, and to see them shown live and cleared up so fast was just amazing. Still watching the live feed now.

It's good to see that one of the last tools from the former version of NASA was a great success! Lets hope this pushes more NASA growth to what it once was and beyond. :)

Also...someone getting a talking to later today I reckon for the mega loud "HOLY ****!!!" haha.
    now Que Transformer to destroy rover and invade the earth

Actually it was based off of "past" rovers. Haha we stil have until 2014 for when Transformers 3 occurs (seeing that Sam was out of at least 4 years of college).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] EXPLORE.

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
    Something should be done for those who cared enough to have a 1000+ day sub.
  • Options
    icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Best tweet of the night about it: "@Satire - If @MarsCuriosity had the forethought to install @foursquare it would totally be the Mayor of Mars." HAHA! EPIC!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Brandon, I know you're a Trekkie. Please, TELL me... you were humming the Star Trek theme song while you heard that it landed, weren't you? I was!

Da da DAAA, daaa, da da DAAAA, daa... DAA DAA DAAAAA DAAA DADADA DAAAA...
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    icegavel wrote: »
    Brandon, I know you're a Trekkie. Please, TELL me... you were humming the Star Trek theme song while you heard that it landed, weren't you? I was!

Da da DAAA, daaa, da da DAAAA, daa... DAA DAA DAAAAA DAAA DADADA DAAAA...

You betcha! That, and the Enterprise theme song...

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    That was awesome to watch unfold! Time delayed only a bit. But as close feeling like being on Mars as I'm going to get. I'm so happy for JPL and NASA.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    You betcha! That, and the Enterprise theme song...

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Funny fact about ENT's theme song: It was actually borrowed form the credits of "Patch Adams." :P

Dec '07 Account
    I EARNED 1000 days...I didn't BUY it! New LTS=Death to Vet.System: 10/10/12 Never Forget
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    xenor002 wrote: »
    That was an amazing landing. I was practically holding my breathe with those guys when waiting for confirmation.

Those pictures are incredable, and to see them shown live and cleared up so fast was just amazing. Still watching the live feed now.

Also...someone getting a talking to later today I reckon for the mega loud "HOLY ****!!!" haha.

We got photos back from Mars faster than it takes my cellphone to email a 3MB picture on a 4G network lol Incredible!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    One of the pics from NASA's twitter.

http://twitter.com/NASA/status/232352483492630529/photo/1

Also...funny tweet:
    MarsCuriosity No photo or it didn't happen? Well lookee here, I'm casting a shadow on the ground in Mars' Gale crater #MSL pic.twitter.com/cj1zFJty
    We got photos back from Mars faster than it takes my cellphone to email a 3MB picture on a 4G network lol Incredible!

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I have to agree with this a lot haha. I want my phone to send pics across country fast.....let alone other planets haha.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Lol NASA site practically crashed [they] are telling us due to high volume of people rushing to see pics.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    sumghaisumghai Member Posts: 1,072 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Been following the entire landing from the NASA livestream. Well done NASA and JPL!

A gem from a Facebook contact - "I never thought watching a bunch of people at computers talking into headsets could be so exciting."
    Laws of thermodynamics as applied to life: 0 - You must play the game. 1 - You can't win. 2 - You can't break even. 3 - You can't quit.
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Something came to my mind while watching all of this...most of the NASA crowd at the Star Trek Convention will not be there for obvious reasons. :P

2:15am Eastern should be the post landing conference.

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    If you have not already, check out this! http://eyes.nasa.gov/ Make sure to turn off "LIVE" mode and check out the virtual video from 10:20-10:31 PM PDT. WOW! JPL did an amazing job with that web app.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Watched it live from Australia, very clear feed.

... and still a better love story than Twilight
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Conference just started.

I think I'll watch the rest later today haha.... 2:30am ... :P

Dec '07 Account
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Next orbit by Odyssey should be soon. More pictures I'm waiting up for.
  • Options
    lonnehartlonnehart Member Posts: 846 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Now we know where Curiosity goes after it kills cats... maybe it'll find an ancient alien archive warning us about an armageddon caused by a machine race that wipes out anything that's not a machine...

In all seriousness maybe it'll tell us why Mars has patches of a magnetic field instead of the one Earth has. And one can only hope they're working on a rover to send to Venus... :)
    *sings* "I like Gammera! He's so neat!!! He is full of turtle meat!!!"

"Hah! You are doomed! You're only armed with that pathetic excuse for a musical instrument!!!" *the Savage Beast moments before Lonnehart the Bard used music to soothe him... then beat him to death with his Fat Lute*