test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Account Shared Bank C-Store Slots Available When?

2»

Comments

• djconcentusdjconcentus Member Posts: 177 Media Corps
    edited June 2012
    rehpic wrote: »
    That isn't actually true. We only render the costume you are wearing.

I stand corrected. Thank's for the info, rehpic :smile:
    The opinions expressed in my posts are not necessarily those of my employer or Subspace Radio.
    Host of the Borg Boombox, 0300 GMT on Fridays on Subspace Radio
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Do you also render our underwear! Or are our characters naked under their uniform? :eek:

Mustrum "Feeling Silly today, I figure it's the 0 making me feel light-headed" Ridcully

Picturing, Mustrum "naked-in-his-underwear" Ridcully, in my head now... Thanks a lot... :tongue:
    i can only hope this means that just about all bound items are going to be made account bound. stf currency going account bound is nice and all, but i have a ton of bound stuff ive been holding on to in hopes that i can shift it between characters

Dsthal has said that very few old items will be changed to Account-Bound, because they would all have to be done pretty much individually...

For the time-being (according to Him) only new items will be Account-Bound.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Well I offer a solution to all the needless inventory clutter of currency items: data samples, particle traces, commodities, etc...
    1. Take the UI design for the "Cargo Hold" from the DOFF system.
    2. Make a new tab in the Inventory UI called "Cargo Hold"
    3. Put nice UI images for all of these items there, with a counter below as to how many you have on that character.
    4. Make each item icon "clickable" and have it bring up a "withdraw/deposit" (the same way it works for ECs for fleet banks and account banks.
    5. Now using these items will "auto-witdraw" from your running total for missions where they are inputs, or to vendors such as the crafting system and STF vendors.
    6. Whenever you obtain these items from loot drops, as reward they are auto-added to your running tally.

So now you ask why do we have to have a withdraw/deposit...well for items we wish to sell or trade.

...If Only.... :wink:
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • lomax6996lomax6996 Member Posts: 512 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    The various types of slots (character, ship, boff, inventory, costume, etc) all increase server and database storage and make transactions slower if you have a lot of them. So they can slow down the game for everyone. These slowdowns are addressed by a combination of buying new hardware and spending software engineering time optimizing code. By giving out a reasonable base number of slots and then charging for people who want to really load up their characters, we are ensuring that the people who are contributing to the slowdown are also contributing to speeding things up again.

Thank you for that explanation! Don't think anyone's ever quite made it so plain and so honest. :biggrin:

See above about why you "have" to buy costume slots. There are two reasons you have to pay energy credits to change a costume. The first is that the economy needs sinks for energy credits. There are not enough now and EC has seen lots of inflation. We hope that the fleet starbase projects will soak up enough EC to help balance out the economy a bit more. The second is that changing your costume is a pretty expensive (in terms of server CPU) transaction. Having to visit the tailor and spend a bit of EC encourages players to make costume changes a bit less often, doing more changes at one time instead of a bunch of smaller changes. This helps keep the servers running faster for everyone.

Oooops :rolleyes: So I'm guessing it would be better if I didn't pop in to the Tailor everytime I'm in town for some small tweak? :tongue:
    *STO* It’s mission: To destroy strange new worlds, to seek out new life and new civilizations... and then kill them, to boldly annihilate what no one has annihilated before!
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Hold up a second there. I said we were making some changes based on player feedback, not that we were implementing everything mentioned in the forums. Don't assume that "EDC, Salvage, etc" will all be transferable using the account shared bank.

Heh, Ok!

Well its the only thing I've really seen suggested. . . repeatedly . . . IN BIG LETTERS!
  • handshawhandshaw Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I just store my excess Boffs, tribbles, food items, history books, and commodities in the mail, which is also sharable by all my characters.
    I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    that makes no sense if the bank slots are shared then there are less slots to store.
    if i have 5 toons each with thier own 20 slot bank that = 100 slots
    if they share a bank and u give 10 extra slots then there are 30 total
    ur telling me that 100 slots takes less memory than 30 shared ones?
    sounds like its just an excuse to part ppl from thier cash

just used 20 as a easy figure i know thats not an acurate number/
    I need some help guys. Who do I trust: the developer who works on the game backend, independent of however Marketing decides to sell things to customers; or the conspiracy theorist with bad grammar and spelling? I just can't figure it out.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • obsidiusrexobsidiusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    handshaw wrote: »
    I just store my excess Boffs, tribbles, food items, history books, and commodities in the mail, which is also sharable by all my characters.
    I'm not really sure what all the fuss is about.
    It will make getting ECs to my other characters easier; other than that, I guess we can use it in addition to the storage afforded by the Mail service ;)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I don't care how long you've been playing. I only care about how you play.
    And remember to follow the rules.
  • darkenzedddarkenzedd Member Posts: 881
    edited July 2012
    Hold up a second there. I said we were making some changes based on player feedback, not that we were implementing everything mentioned in the forums. Don't assume that "EDC, Salvage, etc" will all be transferable using the account shared bank.

Then please go back to the drawing board. Unless all those character locked currencies cannot be put in the account shared bank and be used by all toons on an account, then its worthless....
  • captainbmoneycaptainbmoney Member Posts: 1,323 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wasn't transferring currencies going to be one of the main functions of the account bank? Specifically STF drops and Diltihium/GPL?

Like my fanpage!
    https://www.facebook.com/CaptainBMoney913
  • pr1983pr1983 Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Not meaning to necro a dead thread, but has there been any word on this?

Or am I just not seeing the option to buy more account bank slots?

I get the confirm purchase window, but it's just... Empty.
  • methos71methos71 Member Posts: 336 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    pr1983 wrote: »
    Not meaning to necro a dead thread, but has there been any word on this?

Or am I just not seeing the option to buy more account bank slots?

I get the confirm purchase window, but it's just... Empty.

As the OP of this thread, I've been wondering about this too PR1983. Yet, I've since given up hope on the whole 'Account Shared Bank' thing and resorted to heeding everyone's advise and simply mailing myself backup and overflow inventory items (that I'm keen on either keeping for myself, BOFFs, other ships or the Exchange).

That said, I can't escape the nagging feeling that mailed items might mysteriously fall prey to some vanishing mail glitch some day. Gods know enough things in this game, which once worked wonderfully, have a tendency to break down after some update or another!

And while these 'Account Shared Bank Slots' would only be a mild personal benefit, as I only run one toon; I can't help feeling some frustration for pals, who are Silver players, who run several toons and are keen on swapping stuff between characters more readily.
    "Don't try to be a great man. Just be a man and let history make its own judgments." -Zefram Cochrane
    Vice-Admiral Methos Corinthian
    methos71
    screenshot_2012-03-27-13-37-23.jpg

• centersolacecentersolace Member Posts: 11,178 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    methos71 wrote: »
    That said, I can't escape the nagging feeling that mailed items might mysteriously fall prey to some vanishing mail glitch some day. Gods know enough things in this game, which once worked wonderfully, have a tendency to break down after some update or another!

And while these 'Account Shared Bank Slots' would only be a mild personal benefit, as I only run one toon; I can't help feeling some frustration for pals, who are Silver players, who run several toons and are keen on swapping stuff between characters more readily.

I know the feeling man. I hope we get news soon.