test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Devs: Fleet Cruiser Retrofit?

124»

Comments

• dalnar83dalnar83 Member Posts: 2,420 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wouldn't be suprised if it ends in another lock box in the future.
    "Cryptic Studio’s Jack Emmert (2010): Microtransactions are the biggest bunch of nonsense. I like paying one fee and not worrying about it – like my cellphone. The world’s biggest MMO isn’t item based, even though the black market item GDP is bigger than Russia … microtransactions make me want to die.”
  • assimilatedktarassimilatedktar Member Posts: 1,708 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    capnmanx wrote: »
    CBS said no quite some time ago; but it has never stopped the requests.

Yeah, that could have something to do with the fact that they never took the time to properly explain the reasoning behind that. It was basically "CBS said the Constitution is too old." Which lead to people saying "please tell CBS that they already greenlit a one hundred years older ship (D'kyr) and two contemporaries (Excelsior and B'rel) for T5." because they assumed that the people of CBS were rationally thinking humans. However there never was any reaction to that. If some stupid suit at CBS thinks that it would damage the Star Trek brand to see the Constitution at T5, well that's stupid but believable.
    Can you not see how frustrating the people who want a T5 Connie would find having the Cruiser retrofit with no Connie skin? Having their goal so near, yet still out of reach, would be rubbing salt in the wound.

It's rubbing salt in the wound everytime they release an older or as old ship. At least do something for those that are willing to compromise and fly a 25th-century look-alike. If they would release the fleet retrofit of the T2 cruiser with all skins it would rub salt into the wounds of the fans of the TOS Constitution. If they can't make everyone completely happy they should at least try to do it for as many people as possible.
    Like I said, I wouldn't do it. Not worth the aggravation.

You think it would be more than this thread? Or more than when they finally announce to leave the quarter-baked Klingons alone and start with Romulans? Cryptic has always been awesome at sitting out crapstorms, and if they would release T5-versions of the Exeter, Excalibur and Vesper they would make at least as many people happy as angry.
    FKA K-Tar, grumpy Klingon/El-Aurian hybrid. Now assimilated by PWE.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Personally, I could care less about a T5 TOS or even TMP Connie. With the Exeter/Excalibur/Vesper variants, there is a viable alternative to Constitution class that gives us the look we want with an updated 2409 design.

I echo what others are saying...a T5 variant of any of those designs would be perfectly acceptable to me.

Why not organize a question deluge about this in all the Ask Cryptic segments until we get a response?

"Can we have a fleet cruiser retrofit that allows for a T5 variant of the Exeter, Excalibur and Vesper classes?"

Just leave the Connie completely out of the question and see if that gets a response. Thoughts?

No guarentee of success, but it certainly wouldn't hurt to try.

I'd say we need to talk with the podcasts too. They do interviews all the time, maybe we can get the question asked that way. It's been tried before by a handful of people, but if enough people asked, then it couldn't really be ignored, right?

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • sp4cecomm4ndersp4cecomm4nder Member Posts: 65 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Whats so sad is that the devs dont even have the decency to respond to the issue.
  • cpthardcovercpthardcover Member Posts: 31 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hell, at this point I'd be happy with BranFlakes popping in and saying "it's in discussions," or "we're working on it, there's legal issues to be worked out," or even just "not sure why, but I'm going to bring this up to try and get you guys an answer." A simple "added to my list of feedback" would be nice. I'd even take a "we have no plans to do fleet retrofits of the T2 cruisers at this time, and this is why."

But silence just makes the natives more restless, Cryptic. Even if you think we won't like your answers, giving an answer is better than complete silence on things like this.
  • aethon3050aethon3050 Member Posts: 599 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Saying the contemporaries of the Constitution are in-game, and that it's a slap in the face, isn't justification for a tier 5 Constitution. The Excelsior, for example, was vastly superior to the Constitution. That's like saying that, just because the 2001 BMW M3 and the 2001 Ford Focus were made the same year, they must be on par with one another, performance-wise...and they're not even remotely close. Not to mention, the Excelsior wasn't exactly its 'contemporary'; the Excelsior was created right at the end of the Constitution's service life.

The Constitution is more closely on par with a Miranda. If you've seen the major battles of the Dominion War, you already know how those did during the war. They typically managed to soak up all of two shots before being mostly disintegrated, lol.

In Cryptic's defense, it makes sense to NOT have a tier 5 Constitution. A low-powered Captain version? Maybe, if it took a hit to performance somehow. A Commander-level version? Sure, I'd even buy one. But, as much as I love the Constitution Refit, I don't think it has any place at tier 5. When I want to fly mine, I drop my Mk XII MACO set into it, my best MK XII purple weaponry and consoles, and I go to town. If it had another weapon slot front and rear, I'd be thrilled...but it doesn't need much more than that, IMHO.
    edited July 2012
    aethon3050 wrote: »
    Saying the contemporaries of the Constitution are in-game, and that it's a slap in the face, isn't justification for a tier 5 Constitution. The Excelsior, for example, was vastly superior to the Constitution. That's like saying that, just because the 2001 BMW M3 and the 2001 Ford Focus were made the same year, they must be on par with one another, performance-wise...and they're not even remotely close. Not to mention, the Excelsior wasn't exactly its 'contemporary'; the Excelsior was created right at the end of the Constitution's service life.

Doesn't matter at all. The TOS Constitution could one-shot a D'kyr (pretty much what a Jem'hadar ship could do to a Miranda) and still the TOS Connie is at T1 and the D'kyr at T5.
    BUT MOST OF ALL: This thread is about the Excalibur, Exeter and Vesper.:P Says so right in the first post.
    Sometimes, if you want to bury the hatchet with a Klingon, it has to be in his skull. - Captain K'Tar of the USS Danu about J'mpok.
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Also excluded would be some things of dubious legality like the Millenium Falcon (which appeared in First Contact).

Wait, WHAT????? I have that movie and I don't remember seeing the Millenium Falcon in it at all! What scene are you talking about?

Thanks for stating the obvious.:)

In that case Cryptic could still tell us what is happening. But I have trouble seeing the Excalibur and Vesper as too similar to the Constitution. The Excalibur looks more like something you'd get if you leave an Ambassador and a Sovereign alone at ESD for a night and the Vesper is more inspired by the Excelsior than the Constitution. The only thing that could be mistaken for a Constitution when seen from another galaxy would be the Exeter. Until you realize that it has a freakishly large saucer.:D

[COLOR="rgb(0, 191, 255)"]LoL! Hey do you remember the TNG episode where the Enterprise created some kind of life form...
    That's what your post reminded me of. Still, I kinda like the thought of Star Fleet having to keep an eye on their ships like worried parents watching two teenagers dating. :D
    [/COLOR]
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • redheadguyredheadguy Member Posts: 423 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aethon3050 wrote: »

The Constitution is more closely on par with a Miranda. If you've seen the major battles of the Dominion War, you already know how those did during the war. They typically managed to soak up all of two shots before being mostly disintegrated, lol.

In Cryptic's defense, it makes sense to NOT have a tier 5 Constitution. A low-powered Captain version? Maybe, if it took a hit to performance somehow. A Commander-level version? Sure, I'd even buy one. But, as much as I love the Constitution Refit, I don't think it has any place at tier 5. When I want to fly mine, I drop my Mk XII MACO set into it, my best MK XII purple weaponry and consoles, and I go to town. If it had another weapon slot front and rear, I'd be thrilled...but it doesn't need much more than that, IMHO.

You mean because someone forgot to turn the shields on? :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC]

[/SIGPIC]
  • raj011raj011 Member Posts: 987 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    redheadguy wrote: »
    Wait, WHAT????? I have that movie and I don't remember seeing the Millenium Falcon in it at all! What scene are you talking about?

It the scene where you see the defiant doing it manoeuvres, just about when the cube fires its beam on the defiant and hits it for the first time, you will see on the let next to the cube the Falcon.
    edited July 2012
    LoL! Hey do you remember the TNG episode where the Enterprise created some kind of life form...
    That's what your post reminded me of. Still, I kinda like the thought of Star Fleet having to keep an eye on their ships like worried parents watching two teenagers dating. :D

Oh yeah, "Emergence". :D That was funny. But I think a captain running around with a shotgun because a Tuffli freighter impregnated his Sovereign would be funnier.:cool:
    You mean because someone forgot to turn the shields on? :rolleyes:

The Dominion War had too many ships. Equipping them all with shields would have been too expensive.
  • burstdragon323burstdragon323 Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    If theyre so worried about issues, why dont they contact the owner of the "Sobieski" Class and see if they can use it for the T5 Cruiser?

http://bridgecommander.filefront.com/file/Sobieski_class;112183
  • c4ptain0bviou5c4ptain0bviou5 Member Posts: 19 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh look, they finally blessed us with a response:
    dastahl wrote: »
    We simply haven't communicated what we are doing about this yet. That doesn't mean we aren't listening or have selective hearing. It means that we aren't ready to discuss our solution for this yet, or that the solution is still in the works.

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5073201#post5073201

Too bad they didnt actually say anything.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Oh look, they finally blessed us with a response:

http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?p=5073201#post5073201

Too bad they didnt actually say anything.

At least they said SOMETHING, and it wasn't a straight up NO, which some of us had been expecting.

Dan's answer here suggests to me they are looking at how this can be done, in a manner which CBS approves of, and that we will get the ship, or something like it, eventually.

Though it would have been nice if we got the acknowledgement a few weeks ago.

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
    edited August 2012
    Well, we did know that they haven't communicated anything about it yet and we did know that they know that we want it. No one here believes that the people working at Cryptic are blind. So that isn't exactly news. The interesting part is the "It means that we aren't ready to discuss our solution for this yet, or that the solution is still in the works." I would love to know what the problem is, but I guess we'll never find out.
  • tenkaritenkari Member Posts: 2,906 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I would love to know what the problem is, but I guess we'll never find out.

Problem: Getting T5 cruiser in without the connie parts. and possibly since all Starfleet ships have at least 2 other skins.... possibly coming up with a new one, and not the exter as to keep people from complaining that the skin should be unique to the Cstore unlock itself.