Install Arc
Options

PW Ruining STO?

13»

Comments

• Options
    robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I just uninstalled the game because I am tired of the TRIBBLE with the lock boxes and no content. Season 6 does not offer much to those who are not in a fleet and I do not have time for a fleet.

Personally I think that season 6 is the one with the least content for the majority of players. It's obviously good for those fleets that want to inflate their epeen so that they can wave it in your face but I suspect that the majority of players are effectively solo players due to the nature of the game and the franchise.

Each Star Trek series is about a single ship. Each Star trek Online player is about a single Captain. Until yopu get to the end game nothing really encourages or forces you to team up (thankfully) so you tend to develop an independent mentality that doesn't mesh so well with the grouthink required for fleet advancement.

I think season 6 is the least 'Trek' season with the least content for people who like the franchise.
    Of course money happened. They didn't actually expect that launching an unfinished game was going to be a cash cow.

Cryptic are nothing but optimisitic. Literally.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • Options
    beritpandionberitpandion Member Posts: 199 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    That isn't completely impossible... other MMO's do expand territory every couple years. Everquest, which has a rather large world to start with, has opened up new regions. So have DDO and LOTRO. But again, that comes down to having the funding to do so and investors willing to take the risk such large scale re-investment entails. And those are PAID expansions. In the cases of EQ and WOW they are on top of sub fees.

How many STO players would be willing to shell out an additional $20+ for an expansion every year? Especially how many LTS'ers?

As a 10 Year vet of EQ I personally will say that I have 0 problem with paying 20+ for an expansion. I understand the need for a company to fund the game to keep it online. What companies like PW and Zynga comes to mind, have learned isn't so much that people won't pay for expansions and all but they will spend more money if they nickle and dime you until you empty your wallet instead of say a 15.00 monthly fee and say 20+ every 6 months.

Per account that figure is $220 per person a year. BUT let's say we can get you to spend 1000 ZEN on shiny object X and get you to buy 10 of them. They just made half of what they would in a year of sub and expansion off of you for no content. And if they put a new item out every couple months They've made bank. So even if only HALF those that would subscribe follow that pricing it's still worth it to the company to do the micro transaction store. That's why I don't have a problem with the store model. What I do have a problem with is some empty suit pocketing the the money instead of actually putting in the content and other things that need to be fixed back into the game so that they can keep making the money. Less money in pocket initially to make long term money makes more sense but that's not something companies understand anymore sadly.

"Gotta make a million Dollars no matter who dies."
  • Options
    n0vastaronen0vastarone Member Posts: 389 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    PWE can suck it. I however will continue to try and support the franchise i love....will continue to be vocal of my hatred of the games direction in the forums and will continue to criticize those responsible...namely PWE. Cryptic has my support...I know they mean well..but their overlords have all the say it seems.

and that say to me screams....rip of your players more!
    4h4uFix.pngJoin Date. Dec 2007
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    PWE can suck it. I however will continue to try and support the franchise i love....will continue to be vocal of my hatred of the games direction in the forums and will continue to criticize those responsible...namely PWE. Cryptic has my support...I know they mean well..but their overlords have all the say it seems.

and that say to me screams....rip of your players more!

That's what I was trying to say too essentially though you did it better. :)

I despise the business model of Zynga and PWE BUT I love STO and will try to continue supporting it. The thing is with some tweaks and more content this would be my favorite game and that's saying something as when it came out I had 0 intention of playing it after being disappointed in other IP MMOs.
  • Options
    kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As a 10 Year vet of EQ I personally will say that I have 0 problem with paying 20+ for an expansion. I understand the need for a company to fund the game to keep it online. What companies like PW and Zynga comes to mind, have learned isn't so much that people won't pay for expansions and all but they will spend more money if they nickle and dime you until you empty your wallet instead of say a 15.00 monthly fee and say 20+ every 6 months.

Per account that figure is $220 per person a year. BUT let's say we can get you to spend 1000 ZEN on shiny object X and get you to buy 10 of them. They just made half of what they would in a year of sub and expansion off of you for no content. And if they put a new item out every couple months They've made bank. So even if only HALF those that would subscribe follow that pricing it's still worth it to the company to do the micro transaction store. That's why I don't have a problem with the store model. What I do have a problem with is some empty suit pocketing the the money instead of actually putting in the content and other things that need to be fixed back into the game so that they can keep making the money. Less money in pocket initially to make long term money makes more sense but that's not something companies understand anymore sadly.

"Gotta make a million Dollars no matter who dies."

There are a lot of 'ifs' in there. The biggest is the assumption that since you are willing to spend $20 for an expansion, in addition to $10 to $15 per month, that enough others would likewise be willing.

If that was true, they would already be doing so and STO would be a LOT better off.

The evidence suggests that they are not willing to do so.

Consider the number of people balking at a one shot payment of $20 for this game? Or the numbers complaining about a grind that isn't really much compared to EQ standards (more of a grind compared to modern raid drops, but much less of a grind in terms of getting to top level without serious PLing or support).

Not to mention despite expansions, exploration in EQ is pretty limited, nothing of the scale that those lamenting the lack thereof in STO seem to want.

And a lot more in EQ is group oriented.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    There are a lot of 'ifs' in there. The biggest is the assumption that since you are willing to spend $20 for an expansion, in addition to $10 to $15 per month, that enough others would likewise be willing.

If that was true, they would already be doing so and STO would be a LOT better off.

The evidence suggests that they are not willing to do so.

Consider the number of people balking at a one shot payment of $20 for this game? Or the numbers complaining about a grind that isn't really much compared to EQ standards (more of a grind compared to modern raid drops, but much less of a grind in terms of getting to top level without serious PLing or support).

Not to mention despite expansions, exploration in EQ is pretty limited, nothing of the scale that those lamenting the lack thereof in STO seem to want.

And a lot more in EQ is group oriented.

True but I was also trying to point out some of the absurdity in that there are people that balk at 'paying a subscription and expansion' but yet end up spending way more than that in the micro transactions and getting less than they would in an expansion type of model. At least to me it seems absurd. Some may say well I pay for only what I want that way.

I think that players have really shot themselves by accepting the micro and even begging for the micro model. The companies that have grabbed onto it completely (PWE, Zynga, etc) are making tons of money and putting out less content to their games.

That's really what get's me. They're willing to pay more to get less in the long run and they think it's a good thing. :eek:
  • Options
    supergaminggeeksupergaminggeek Member Posts: 616 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So much for the Borg and their
    (?_?)
    ( ?_?)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)
    Perfect World.