test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

New Doff Race ideas ver 2

Comments

• markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,236 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I agree that there are DOFF races that are too trait-limited and I'd like to see that addressed. The majority of Commons have 3 traits, so that is obviously the normal baseline.

I disagree on the other two counts.

Just because Jadzia Dax was "Congenial", doesn't mean all Trill are. All you have to do is look at Verad (DS9: Invasive Procedures) and Joran (DS9: Equilibrium) to see that it's not universal.

Betazoids could have Seductive as an optional trait, but they should be distinct from Deltans and for this reason alone I'd say they don't need to be universally Seductive. The trait is at least partly due to pheromones in the case of both Deltans and Orions, and Betazoids do not have any special ability to release pheromones in that way.
    Yeah, Betazoids aren't quite the same in that regard. Personally I think there should be more unscrupulous Betazoids. Deanna wasn't unscrupulous, but some others were.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    What do you see as the primary purpose(s) behind introducing new Duty officer species?

I'm not asking to discourage the brainstorming here - it may, in fact, come in quite handy. But I'd like to get a more solid understanding as to why more species variation is being requested.

* Are there shortcomings in the current system that new species can address?
    * Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?
    * Is it just a roleplay / immersion thing?

One thing that occurs to me right now is that there are way more DOFFs with a mix of favorable and unfavorable traits for existing assignments than there are DOFFs that have multiple favorable traits.

But that might actually be more an issue of building new assignments with different trait mixes, or releasing new DOFFs with different combinations of traits.

It's interesting that there are no "Alien" DOFF's that correspond with the playable generic alien species. Basically, I'd like to see portraits that don't look like an existing race and could have a really diverse set of trait options.

Another related issue I see is that it's very difficult to get DOFFs that aren't one of the major races. There are no DOFF grinders or cultural exchange assignments for minor races like Caitians, for example. I'd like to see those go in.
    * Are there new mechanics you'd like to see pursued that new species would allow for?

This is really hard for me to answer. There are a lot of Trek species that appear in the IP that are visually distinct but we don't really know much about them otherwise. There are a few of other species that will never lend themselves to the DOFF system.

I'm sure some folks would love to see "Q" appear in the DOFF roster, but that may not be a good idea :)

There are two "common" species that have not appeared in the DOFF system yet, as far as I can tell. (Would've said three, but I got a Romulan recently). I have not seen a Breen or a Hirogen. But would either of those races need a new mechanic? I don't think so.

We're at a disadvantage suggesting new game mechanics... very often our ideas would require new tech or aren't possible or don't fit Cryptic's future roadmap that we know nothing about.

EDIT: removed bad idea
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited June 2012
    Breen and Hirogen are available as cluster colonial chain rewards only.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • cusashorncusashorn Member Posts: 461
    edited June 2012
    Breen and Hirogen are available as cluster colonial chain rewards only.

Hirogen? I've got two Breen officers, but Hirogen? Are they a KDF only race?
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    -The Milkshake Song: Vulcan Edition
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    cusashorn wrote: »
    Hirogen? I've got two Breen officers, but Hirogen? Are they a KDF only race?
    Nope, Khazan cluster. http://www.stowiki.org/Hunter_Ikrin
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited June 2012
    I've completed every cluster. I never got a Hirogen.

Maybe I need to check again
    "My frozen dairy-based confectionery attracts all the males of the species to the facilities. They all agree on it's superiority. Indeed, it is superior to yours. I could teach you the finer details but that would require monetary recompense on your part."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Double check to make sure you did http://www.stowiki.org/Khazan_Cluster

It's East of Alpha Centauri.

Here's the full atlas: http://www.stowiki.org/Galaxy
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Duh, I forgot about the colonial chain Breen DO's. I even have a few of them. :o
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
    edited July 2012
    I guess I forgot to do Khazun and D'Kel Star clusters. I just checked my chain assignments.

...Now the darn game won't give me the next assignments. >_<
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • papertoastypapertoasty Member Posts: 248 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    what would be sweet is a mortal q super rare doff that would give you a 100% chance of a critical for any science or engineering assignment

and be limited to one per toon
    edited July 2012
    Well, the colonial chains are currently the only sources for several races. AFAIK there aren't ANY other Hirogen, or Breen Doffs at all.

El-Aurians have the cluster, and Rulian Mazan only.

The DS9 pack has a Romulan, but other than that I don't think there are any outside Eridan.

Hmm... LIST!

Delta Volanis: Deferi (Efficient, honorable, teamwork) only available here
    Arucanis Arm: this one is odd in that not only does it give different races to each faction, KDF gets Orions, but Feds get a Rigelian for Renown, and a Tellarite for Support.
    Hromi Cluster: El-Aurians (Efficient, Eidetic, TP), the only other El-Aurian is Rulian Mazan(Congenial, EIdetic, Tactful, TP)
    Khazan Cluster: Hirogen (Aggressive, Efficient), only available here
    Afehirr Nebula: Reman, only source of Remans for Fed, only easy source for KDF. the other KDF sources are a Unique Doff, and an ultra(I think that's what Minzon is anyways)
    Eridan Belt: Romulans, there's only 2 others: the DS9 C-Store bundle comes with a Romulan Doff, and a season 5 tribble reward is a Romulan,
    Rolor Nebula: Breen, the only Breen Doffs
    Betreka Nebula: Jem'Hadar, also available as a one time reward for completing "Facility 4028", also availble as Rares from Gamma cadre pack, and maybe from Dominion prisoner exchange
    Zenas Expanse: Vorta, See Jem'Hadar
    B'Tran Cluster: Feds get Borg Caitians, KDF gets Borg Gorn. Only Borgified versions as Doffs.
    T'Ong Nebula: Andorians(Fed), Klingons(KDF)
    D'Kel Star Cluster: Mirror Universe Humans(without FF)
    Eridon Nebula: Saurians(Fed), Nausicaans(KDF)
    Azlesa Expanse: Vulcans(Fed), Letheans(KDF)

It'd be nice to see the rarer races more often.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • originalmaxspockoriginalmaxspock Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    #28: Dolphins or a dolphin-like race
    traits: congenial, teamwork
    So. Much. Win.
    Before the forum merge, there were those who called me... MaxSpock

=/\= Remember AR-558 =/\=
  • switchngcswitchngc Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What do you see as the primary purpose(s) behind introducing new Duty officer species?

I'm not asking to discourage the brainstorming here - it may, in fact, come in quite handy. But I'd like to get a more solid understanding as to why more species variation is being requested.

* Is it just a roleplay / immersion thing?

On the subject of new traits:
    We found, from the introduction of Resolve doffs, that introducing new Traits is not a design choice that has long-term sustainability. While it still may be something we introduce in the future, we have to be sure that the amount of dev time that goes into ensuring the new Trait's viability is worth the investment. Hundreds and hundreds of work hours went into introducing Resolve and giving it a purpose, while also addressing economic and systemic balance concerns that it introduced. It's not something that we've completely ruled out, but it is unlikely that we will do something that like with any form of frequency.

Simply put, More Diversity. But not just Diversity for it's own sake, I don't want half my crew to be made of "species who are enemies", though I don't mind some (Worf, Garak, Simon Tarsus, ect). But, in TOS, and TNG, Gene Roddenberry insisted that the Enterprise have a racially diverse crew (Whitfield, Stephen PE; Roddenberry, Gene (1968). The Making of Star Trek. New York: Ballantine Books) meaning that Diversity is a core value of what makes Star Trek what it is. We know of many different races which may be allied with one side or the other, sadly mainly the Federation, though Farians and Finneans (and other unnamed species) seem to be a member of the Orion Syndicate and thus would now be a KDF species and one might think the Chalnoth would join with them as well.

New species, particularly less well known species, can allow more freedom of trait combinations (as has been mentioned earlier), and can assist in the addition of new traits (a topic I will delve into later). I think another advantage to new species, particularly ones that have distinctive features is possibly the hope of having some of the new features added for playable characters (for instance the facial features of the Arin'Sen). For instance, the Ferasans were added as a DOFF race and shortly there after as a playable species.

As for new traits, to be fair, Resolve was added at the same time as Shroud, Telekinesis, and Spiritual (with Dominion Fugitive being shortly after and Photonic slightly before if I am not mistaken), that is 6 traits in a fairly short period of time. I would assume any more additions would come in batch form like that to be able to customize entire batches of missions for several new traits at one time.
    edited July 2012
    Cool. :) But, spiritual has been around since the doff system was first introduced. :p the rest is spot on though. :)

you're right about how crew diversity has worked in the TV shows. "enemy" races have been around in small number for a long time.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    Cool. :) But, spiritual has been around since the doff system was first introduced. :p the rest is spot on though. :)

Hmmmm.... I could have sworn there were 3 others added with Resolve (maybe the Dominion Fugitive was added so quickly after I thought it was the fourth... )
    edited July 2012
    Nah, Spiritual was a rather rare trait that wasn't used for much before the release of Resolve.

another fun fact: Bajorans were released before Cardassians! Most of them had spiritual as their only trait....
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    #2: Ocampa, the char creator has the parts for them. So it'd be pretty easy to make art for them. also.... there's apparently an Ocampa at ESD.
    Traits: TP(always), TK(sometimes), Eidetic Memory(always), congenial(often) and tactful(often)
    faction: Federation or Romulan

Heretic had talked about this, and said that they were talking about doind somethin in relation to their short lifespans (such as the DOFF going away after 1 year, though, not sure how they would get to either the Feds or Romulans being as they were from the Delta Quadrant

#8: Add Bynars. they could be either a Fed race or a Fed/romulan race.
    traits: Logical(often), eidetic memory(always), teamwork(often), unscrupulous(often)
    faction: Federation, Romulan

Would they count as 2 DOFFs?

#18-22: More random humanoids: Denobulans(long time Federation ally),

Absolutely needed!

#30: Grazerites, one Federation president was Grazerite, thus it makes sense to have Grazerites in starfleet
    traits: teamwork, tactful, peaceful, congenial
    faction: Federation

Again, Absolutely needed!

So what other fun ideas are out there? :D

Arin'Sen - Klingon Subject Species
    edited July 2012
    Ocampa: Romulans would get them from the Hirogen. The Hirogen Relay network comes close to the area established in canon as Romulan space. It's why they fight beside the Romulans, Sela made a threaty with them. The Hirogen acctually have the resources to get people from the Delta Quadrant to Romulan space. The Federation presumably has the abiltiy to TW to their space. Why? Well, you can do diplomatic contact missions with them.

Bynars: no. Maybe have a few have a single pic instead of a dual pic, but either way it'd only take up one doff slot.

Arin'Sen: where did this idea come from?
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    edited July 2012
    Ocampa: Romulans would get them from the Hirogen. The Hirogen Relay network comes close to the area established in canon as Romulan space. It's why they fight beside the Romulans, Sela made a threaty with them. The Hirogen acctually have the resources to get people from the Delta Quadrant to Romulan space. The Federation presumably has the abiltiy to TW to their space. Why? Well, you can do diplomatic contact missions with them.

But unless I am mistaken, the Doctor was able to go over the relay network because he was a computer program, not sure biological beings would be able to (though haven't seen that episode in a while). Not only that, but the relay network was discovered Many season in after Voyager got several boosts the Ocampa most likely wouldn't have (Kes cut 10 years off their trip, 2 slipstream trips, spatial vortex in the Void, 15 years cut off by using a stolen Borg Transwarp coil, a Graviton catapult jump, push by Q). Not to burst your bubble, but I would think if they were added that would have to be explained, and they would have to be really rare.
    Arin'Sen: where did this idea come from?
    Came from here as well as here.
    edited July 2012
    Good point on the Ocampa, but I'm sure it could be explained about as easily as explaining how Sela managed to convince the HIROGEN to sign an alliance. Maybe Sela gave the Hirogen tech to convert their Relays so that they can be used for Transwarp beacons? Despite their technical prowess, the Hirogen didn't have Transwarp tech.

Arin'Sen: Ah! Excellent suggestion! I missed that episode.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • fourthofelevenfourthofeleven Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    There is a 'Recieve Ocampa Delegates' assignment in the game, so apparently some of them are making it to Federation space somehow already...

Maybe there could be an assignment "Aid Stranded Vessel" or something, that gives Gamma or Delta quadrant species Doffs on a critical?
    edited August 2012
    IIRC you're thinking of "Receive Ocampa Dignitaries". But yeah, how is it possible? we don't know.

That vessel mission does sound like fun. :D But it'd need to be about as rare as "Instigate Defection".
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • daveynydaveyny Member Posts: 8,227 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I can see an easy way to add a Q Doff...

Simply make it a Rare, One-Use Doff...

Create it so that it can only be obtained with a critical hit on a few assignments (or perhaps it could be made to randomly appear as a very-rare reward for getting a Critical Success on any mission), but also make it so that it can only be Used on One Mission, and then it's gone.

You can hang onto it as long as you want, but as soon as you assign it to a mission, it's removed from your roster when the mission is done.

Just like the way Q popped in and out of Picard's life.

Give it a High Crit power... in other words no matter what mission you assign it too it will increase the Crit outcome by a substantial percentage... say 30% to 40%...

If necessary, They could make it a Character Bound item to keep them from becoming a hot item on the Exchange.

But only if Cryptic thinks it could somehow cut into Their profits.

This would fit perfectly with how Q showed up in all the post-TOS-time-period series.
    STO Member since February 2009.
    I Was A Trekkie Before It Was Cool ... Sept. 8th, 1966 ... Not To Mention Before Most Folks Around Here Were Born!
    Forever a STO Veteran-Minion
    upside-down-banana-smiley-emoticon.gif
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    We need Binars with Efficient and Teamwork as their main traits. And of course there would need to be 2 Binars per Doff card.
  • aestuaestu Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Professor Moriarty
    Doctor - Eidetic Memory, Emotional, Cunning, Unscrupulous, Photonic, Logical
    "Cogito ergo sum."
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I'm not completely sure about all these races, but new ones would definitely be interesting. It could allow to make missions requiring a specific doff race and introducing some new traits with new missions. Why not a bureaucrat trait for some fed doffs? I would also allow to create many new interesting missions, and maybe a new CXP category (administration). :D The KDF could get a "honour" CXP category.

It's weird no dev ever thought to that! The Federation is a huge bureaucratic machine, but we never see that in the game.

Some new missions idea: "Make a report to Admiral (name)". Required traits would depend on the race of the admiral, but bureaucrat is required. "A dinner with high rank officers". You definitely need a bureaucrat to translate your thoughts to these people! "Report about smugglers activity", etc. It has nothing to do with "developpement", developpement is about entertainment. This is about the boring activities!
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • icegavelicegavel Member Posts: 991 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I like most of the ideas... but not the Noncorporeal entities. You can't have a ball of energy working o n your ship... Nanites MIGHT be okay.
    edited September 2012
    Well, Isabella's race could take on a form that looked human when they wanted to interact with objects made of matter. They have the smarts, it'd simply be a matter of them learning how to use a starship.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • irrapirthesecondirrapirthesecond Member Posts: 18 Arc User
    edited October 2012
    Did someone say HORTA DOFF? I want.
  • felderburgfelderburg Member Posts: 853 Arc User
    edited January 2013