test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Game Crashing at Memory Alpha

akumatronakumatron Member Posts: 10 Arc User
edited August 2012 in PC Gameplay Bug Reports
Like the title says, my entire game crashes whenever I go to Memory Alpha. When I load the launcher again, it has to run a check of all the files before I cam play the game, and all is ok.....until I visit MA again, and the cycle happens again.
Post edited by akumatron on

Comments

• Options
    dabelgravedabelgrave Member Posts: 979 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I had the crash to desktop at Memory Alpha last night. I decided not to risk it again and left the planet as soon as I got back into the game.
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You have an error.log within the root of your install or the directory right above it. Please check to see if you;re getting some sort of crash or error report.
  • Options
    crazydarkonecrazydarkone Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm having the same problem. It never did it on the holodeck and then I got on tribble last weekend during the major testing and every time I went to Memory Alpha I would get as far as the second hall and the game chashed. Since season 6 went live I now have it happening on live as well.

I filed a ticket about it when it was just on tribble and again when it happened on live.
    After it happened to me again last night as I logged back in I saw someone else that seemed to stop running as in totaly frozen in the hall and disappeared and just as they disappeared another person appeared right beside me and I knew right then I was not the only one having this problem.
  • Options
    akumatronakumatron Member Posts: 10 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You have an error.log within the root of your install or the directory right above it. Please check to see if you;re getting some sort of crash or error report.

Nothing on the log
  • Options
    crazydarkonecrazydarkone Member Posts: 14 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    One other thing is when the crash reporter pops up on my screen I don't even have a chance to put anything in the comment part before it disappears.
  • Options
    zodrauzodrau Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I have been experiencing this as well since season 6. It happens in the second hallway in from the transporter. The first time I went ahead with the file check at the prompt. The other three times I just started the game again as normal. It has happened every time I've gone to Memory Alpha since season 6.
  • Options
    ga1enaga1ena Member Posts: 12 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ditto, Just started for me in the same place as well.
    Second archway from the holodeck, turn right or left, doesn't matter. It shuts down.
    I even know the exact floor tile line where it shuts down.
    When I log back in, it brings me back to the exact area in Memory Alpha but it works fine and I continue into the main room as if nothing happened.

Getting used to it these days.
    Tried deleting the three texture files which seemed to make sense the crash is location specific.
    Haven't tried it yet to see if it worked.
    Either my internet stinks this morning or there is maintained going on.

I'll try it out later.
  • Options
    pinkpower2012pinkpower2012 Member Posts: 66 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It's happened to me a few times as well. It does no harm just to skip the file check.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Okay, got back in after the patch.

I highly doubt they fixed the Memory Alpha glitch but, when I landed on Memory after deleting the 3 texture files this morning, I got right in with out the crash.
    Might just be coincidence, might be deleting those files, might be they fixed the issue in the patch.

Only tried it once expecting fully to be shut down after the second entrance. Didn't happen this time.

....yet.

Added

I did what someone else mentioned and just stood there at the second archway and wow.
    About 1 out of every 5 get stuck in that exact same spot.
    For a while there, there was quite a pile up of users frozen in time.

This is a lot bigger then I thought.
  • Options
    zodrauzodrau Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I used to craft a lot, but I've been kinda avoiding memory alpha because I have hit this bug every time since season 6. I did have to go there yesterday and after logging in after the second hallway crash, my avatar was dead, but still standing! I was even able to run around in the main room a bit. Couldn't chat. All of my ground options were greyed out except for security team. Yeah, I clicked it. Got a couple of red shirts following my corpse around. Then suddenly I rubber-banded back to the entrance arch to the main room, miraculously resurrected!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    That sounds more like when your ISP is having speed issues.
  • Options
    toralantoralan Member Posts: 17 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ga1ena wrote: »
    Okay, got back in after the patch.

I highly doubt they fixed the Memory Alpha glitch but, when I landed on Memory after deleting the 3 texture files this morning, I got right in with out the crash.
    Might just be coincidence, might be deleting those files, might be they fixed the issue in the patch.

Only tried it once expecting fully to be shut down after the second entrance. Didn't happen this time.

....yet.

Added

I did what someone else mentioned and just stood there at the second archway and wow.
    About 1 out of every 5 get stuck in that exact same spot.
    For a while there, there was quite a pile up of users frozen in time.

This is a lot bigger then I thought.

Which three files did you delete and has it consistently fixed your issue? :confused:

Oh, and there's a similar thread (probably more): http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=324071
  • Options
    trek21trek21 Member Posts: 2,246 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ga1ena wrote: »
    That sounds more like when your ISP is having speed issues.
    Not if more than 20 people and counting are having this issue...

My computer may be behind the times, but it runs more-or-less smoothly for STO, but everytime I beam down to Memory Alpha, this bug happens. Going back in, then walking around inside Memory Alpha doesn't trigger the bug again, but every single time I beam down this happens regardless.
    Was named Trek17.

Been playing STO since Open Beta, and have never regarded anything as worse than 'meh', if only due to personal standards.
  • Options
    zanthe25zanthe25 Member Posts: 207 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trek21 wrote: »
    everytime I beam down to Memory Alpha, this bug happens. Going back in, then walking around inside Memory Alpha doesn't trigger the bug again, but every single time I beam down this happens regardless.

I have exact same issue, every time I go to Memory Alpha, I spawn in transporter room, all seem fine, but as soon as i try to walk through the second doorway it crashes to desktop.

After reloading game everything works fine again, until I leave and come back.

(Windows 7 64bit)
  • Options
    philosopherephilosophere Member Posts: 607 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Add me to the list.

Reloaded and finished my errands and went on to Starbase 39. Upon beam down there I crashed again. On second restart did the file verification, so hopefully won't crash again... until I go back to Memory Alpha of course.

Please fix this devs. Time gating is enough without crash gating as well....
    Are we there yet?
  • Options
    vakovvakov Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Same problem here.
  • Options
    adjournonadjournon Member Posts: 94 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    Add me to the list.

Reloaded and finished my errands and went on to Starbase 39. Upon beam down there I crashed again. On second restart did the file verification, so hopefully won't crash again... until I go back to Memory Alpha of course.

Please fix this devs. Time gating is enough without crash gating as well....

Same. And this has been going on for a while; I've already had the game automatically send two full file dumps to cryptic that took almost an hour each. Every time I beam in, I get to the second hallway and ::pop:: cut to desktop, sorry, so sad, thanks for playing, restart, the end. The problem is: I'm the main crafter for my entire fleet, I fill two orders a week and this glitch is just killing me.

STO Forum member since 2008, player since 2012 - funny story that