What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Scheduled Maintenance (July 13, 2012)

2»

Comments

• shadoreshadore Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    caliban149 wrote: »
    Yeah, UTC is a really stupid timezone to use.
    Its the timezone version of Esperanto, sounds like a good idea, but in reality its unwieldy and no one uses it.

STO is the ONLY place I have ever seen anything referred to in UTC (even the acronym is wrong, it should be CUT!)

If they wanted a standard timezone for this half of the globe why they hell they didn't just use GMT I have no idea. . . even just calling it GMT+1 would have been clearer tha bloody UTC.

If the UTC is anything like the UFC, it probably beat up little GMT.
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    1. UTC is the French acronym (the international language).
    2. UTC and GMT (and Zulu for that matter) are identical.

I stand corrected, I thought GMT did include the daylight savings time . . . hence the need for UTC. So UTC is TOTALLY redunant then?
    acronym doesn't make much sense with French Grammer either, that would be TUC.

I'm guessing they just ordered the letter almost randomly so avoid a fight between the Brits and the French . . . we have a long history of petty squabbles like this. :rolleyes:
  • tehibristehibris Member Posts: 74 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If they wanted a standard timezone for this half of the globe why they hell they didn't just use GMT I have no idea. . . even just calling it GMT+1 would have been clearer tha bloody UTC.

Because people in the USA think that GMT is always "My time + x hours", even in summer time - so you get idiots who say "Oh, GMT is five hours ahead" when they're on Eastern summer time. No, BRITAIN is five hours ahead, but we're at GMT+1, or BST (British Summer Time).

Believe me, it's much simpler just to use UTC (which is by the way the official acronym).

And it's hardly "the Esperanto" of time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC
    edited July 2012
    On a much happier note yesterday after the patch I ran the hard exterior tholian mission where we had to fight the boss with the pools of acid and in the box I got afterward I got the gun from the purple tholian set. It turns out it's more effective vs tholians than the jem hadar rifle i had been using. It does cold damage like the breen gun that I saw a lot of people using. Just 2 more pieces to go.
  • admbobadmbob Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    from staying up
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    shadore wrote: »
    On a much happier note yesterday after the patch I ran the hard exterior tholian mission where we had to fight the boss with the pools of acid and in the box I got afterward I got the gun from the purple tholian set. It turns out it's more effective vs tholians than the jem hadar rifle i had been using. It does cold damage like the breen gun that I saw a lot of people using. Just 2 more pieces to go.

you shold try the CRM-200 from the Breen mission Cold Storage. That thing works great also.
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
    edited July 2012
    you shold try the CRM-200 from the Breen mission Cold Storage. That thing works great also.

I'm level 50 and I still haven't run the breen missions. I probably won't go for that gun on my main who has the new one but my Orion science officer would greatly benefit from that I imagine.
  • darkstarkiriandarkstarkirian Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    IT's back up!!
    [SIGPIC]Handle: @kirian_darkstar
    Fleets: Warriors of the Phoenix, Kirian Industries[/SIGPIC]
    Three years and still no Captain Klaa hair...
  • clutch66clutch66 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    hippiejon wrote: »
    All I'm gonna say ... Dark humor is one thing. Talking about punching a baby in the face ? In what world is that humor ? Dark or not ?

/reported

lol. Go ahead and report me because you're a dry lame, but if you'd ever seen Robot Chicken then you'd have seen a baby being punched in the face and it would have been friggin hilariiuuooss :rolleyes:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3D5fUv-zNk

Now go play in traffic froob. I have no patience for people who take things so seriously all the time. Your life must really suck.
  • trappa83trappa83 Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I didn't mention this earlier because we didn't want to post about this in our notes until we verified that our change worked.

Yes, this patch should resolve the issues some fleets were having with unresponsive or nonfunctional fleet UI. I've updated the patch notes to reflect this.
    Great to hear that!

Thanks. :)
  • holyhelmetholyhelmet Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Any idea when the exchange is going to be fixed?
  • cptdavepilmcptdavepilm Member Posts: 8 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jj1963a wrote: »
    what about when i am playing there seems to be a clich or total black spots when playing with ship and on starbase and stardock area and the exchange it seems to be some kind of clich or total black n out lines of total black areas and if i move there go away but are there also

jj1963

they are called artifacts and the main cause is a failing ramdac on your graphics card, the best fix: replace gfx card.

sorry to bare bad news.
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    tehibris wrote: »
    Because people in the USA think that GMT is always "My time + x hours", even in summer time - so you get idiots who say "Oh, GMT is five hours ahead" when they're on Eastern summer time. No, BRITAIN is five hours ahead, but we're at GMT+1, or BST (British Summer Time).

Believe me, it's much simpler just to use UTC (which is by the way the official acronym).

And it's hardly "the Esperanto" of time: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UTC

Seeing as UTC is (to all intents) exactly the same as GMT

How can it add anything but confusion.

UTC is supposedly more accurate due to various advances in technology that weren't around when GMT was. . . well fine, why not redefine GMT rather than come up with a whole new name. Just Stupid.

Seeing as the whole idea was American lead, then its probably just another case of Americans attempting to rule the world by rewriting history methinks. I know its the offical Acronym but it still makes no sense . . . in either English or French.

As I said earlier I have never seen UTC used anywhere but STO.
    Everyone just calls it GMT, being identical and about 100 years older.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Seeing as the whole idea was American lead, then its probably just another case of Americans attempting to rule the world by rewriting history methinks. I know its the offical Acronym but it still makes no sense . . . in either English or French.
    Well, according to the wiki, they came up with UTC because it's neither "clear" french or english (but can be written in both, uhm, in a clumsy way) and is in line with the naming of time zones UT1, UT2, ...

But to bugs and issues:
    - the + and - buttons don't seem to work on the Qo'nos minimap.
    - everytime I beam to my ship, it fills my screen. No matter how far I set the camera, it resets to a close view after I make a visit to the ground.
    - and the KDF lore's been mentioned.
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
  • pwebranflakespwebranflakes Member Posts: 7,741
    edited July 2012
    Maintenance is complete :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
This discussion has been closed.