test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Too Complicated!!!

xcadmanxxcadmanx Member Posts: 4 Arc User
TOO COMPLICATED

I think the title says it all!

I have been a member since launch.

I do not often voice my opinion, being a player who trusts that Cryptic/Perfect World is taking this game in the proper direction.

However, I must voice my opinion now. Season 6 has become overly complicated.

I think major changes need to be made that include:

1) Separate the idea of fleet ships and Fleet Star bases.

2) Have a universal Star base (Earth Space Dock) that can be accessible by all (Fleets and Non Fleet players) in order to upgrade ships as the current model intends.

This way competitive game content (Ships) is made available to all...... equally.

3) Fleet Star bases should remain the same as intended to upgrade and develop, minus fleet ships . Provide content and other perks to Fleets in this regard.

This way everyone who wishes to fleet or not, can get a competitive in game ship.

I am unsure the current model as intended is going to be successful and would like to encourage Cryptic to reassess. EVEN IF THIS MEANS POSTPONING SEASON 6

I would rather play content that is enjoyable for all providing resonable options than forcing all players in a singular direction not all want to take nor should be forced to take.

I love this game but lately this has been way too complicated for my enjoyment. I would like to encourage taking a step back to evaluate the direction we are going.
Post edited by xcadmanx on

Comments

• rayezillarayezilla Member Posts: 139 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    take fleet ships out of the fleet starbases, and the starbases are a joke. join a fleet or get left behind, that's what PWE wants.

If you want a casual fleet that you don't have to talk to us or anything, reddit.com/r/sto has 350 members, many who never talk or post.
  • anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I for one am happy about season 6...

Not only does it truely add meaning to fleets, but it also encourages more co-ordination internally.

I say "let it be as it is".
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • darramouss1darramouss1 Member Posts: 1,811 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think fleet starbases will render ESD useless. I kinda like the idea of federation ships reporting to Earth, not some base located who knows where.
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think fleet starbases will render ESD useless.

ESD pretty much became useless when I discovered that other hubs had the bank and the exchange right beside each other.
  • ccarmichael07ccarmichael07 Member Posts: 755 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    At one time, Cryptic was talking about removing the 5 player requirements to start a fleet/guild.

Did that ever happen?

If it did, that makes it possible for EVERYONE to have their starbase and have access to fleet store and fleet ships.

If they didn't, then I feel the OP's pain, as I don't want to be forced into a guild just to have a competitive ship, or access to T5 ships that are not available anywhere else. (such as the T5 Nova)

"You shoot him, I shoot you, I leave both your bodies here and go out for a late night snack.
    I'm thinking maybe pancakes." ~ John Casey
  • skhcskhc Member Posts: 355 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't agree with you, I'm afraid mate.

This is an MMO, and, at the moment, more than 90% of the game content does not require you to interact with another human. What is the point of an MMO that is effectively single-player?

More multiplayer content is a good thing, imo. And it doesn't bother me that rewards for that content are locked off to solo players. I suspect it may be a while before I see the top quality fleetbase ships unless my fleet recruitment methods are ultra successful, but it doesn't bother me. Is my Armitage suddenly not going to be able to hack end-game content once the Fleetbase ships come in? Doubt it.

The only people I can see being really put out by it are solo PvPers, who actually would be at a disadvantage by not having the ships.
    At one time, Cryptic was talking about removing the 5 player requirements to start a fleet/guild.

That's still there, but most people get around it by hiring someone for a few EC and then allowing them to leave once the fleet is formed. That said, if you could form a fleet with 2 people, it wouldn't change the fact that those 2 people would be working for a long time to get their projects up and running.
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    ESD isn't totally useless... unless you're in the KDF...

1 - It's where new characters start off. They always know where it is.

2 - Everybody gets a transwarp to ESD.

3 - It's all the starbase that a newbie's got until they either travel elsewhere or join a fleet.

4 - It's a good place for fleets to look for people who need help and seek recruits.

5 - It's a door zone for the Foundry.

6 - It has all of the services available (mail, bank, exchange, shipyard, tailor/ship mod, engineering, medical, vendors, etc.), not just a subset of them.

I'm not saying it's the best social zone in the game... just that it's not useless and won't be even when Fleet Starbases are in. Players don't start out as members of a fleet and some people may never join one.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    skhc wrote: »
    That's still there, but most people get around it by hiring someone for a few EC and then allowing them to leave once the fleet is formed. That said, if you could form a fleet with 2 people, it wouldn't change the fact that those 2 people would be working for a long time to get their projects up and running.

Even when you've got five people lined up, if you can't get them all online at the same time you're still out of luck.

I finally got our fleet up and running by bribing four other players to join for a Blue quality Boff of their choice. Starting a fleet that way (bribery) isn't pretty, but it's fast and effective.

Still, if they lowered the requirement to three players instead of five it would make it a lot easier.
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
  • kyeto13kyeto13 Member Posts: 3 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    xcadmanx wrote: »

2) Have a universal Star base (Earth Space Dock) that can be accessible by all (Fleets and Non Fleet players) in order to upgrade ships as the current model intends.

This way competitive game content (Ships) is made available to all...... equally.

3) Fleet Star bases should remain the same as intended to upgrade and develop, minus fleet ships . Provide content and other perks to Fleets in this regard.

This way everyone who wishes to fleet or not, can get a competitive in game ship.

ESD is already a universal starbase. Which is why everyone starts out with a transwarp option there. It has all the amenities you could possibly need, save the PVP arena and the STF store.

There is a reason to have fleet specific rewards, to reward players who have joined fleets. that is the WHOLE BLOODY POINT of this season. Time and Time again the Devs had said that Season six is all about Fleets. Fleet Advancement, Fleet Play, and Fleet Ships. Here is the thing, they know that there are lots of one player fleets out there. They do not mind. IF you want to make your lone wolf fleet, there is nothing stopping you. So there is no barrier between you and these high end ships.

I am unsure the current model as intended is going to be successful and would like to encourage Cryptic to reassess. EVEN IF THIS MEANS POSTPONING SEASON 6

I would rather play content that is enjoyable for all providing resonable options than forcing all players in a singular direction not all want to take nor should be forced to take.

I love this game but lately this has been way too complicated for my enjoyment. I would like to encourage taking a step back to evaluate the direction we are going.

I would love to ask you and every other lone wolves what is so damning about joining a fleet? You make it seem like we are force enlisting you into one and stealing the ECs from your credit chit. No one, not the devs, not the fleets, not other players are forcing you to sign up.

Even if it is for the perks of having a high end ship, that does NOT mean you cannot stay competitive. Just like there is no requirement to have a Cstore ship in order to be competitive in endgame, there will be no requirement to have a Fleet Ship in order to be competitive. Ships are just a template. How you load it out and how you play have a greater impact on your competitiveness then which ship you have.

Part of the reason Fleet Ships are so "OP" is because it will take MONTHS of FLEETWIDE grinding in order to make these. No 3 minute swipe of a credit card will allow you to get it. It will take a long time to get these ships. Therefore, the reward should scale up based on the amount of grind you have to go through. Manager classes at the local fast food restaurant is a weekend. Becoming a Doctor is an additional 10 or so years on top of the standard 112 for high school. More grind means more payout.

And again. you still have the exploit of paying 4 noobs to sign your fleet charter and then adding your alts. Grind away. No one in life will, or even attempt to, bend over backwards for you. This includes the Devs.
    Live on Earth. Work in Space. Play with Dragons. Join the best add on to STO, the Neverwinter holodeck program! Only 14 GPL a month.
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've been very negative of Cryptic and PWE over the last few months. However, I'm pleased to say that season 6 excites me, and it's drawing me back into the game. If only they could fix Fleet Starbases on tribble so they can advance to tier 1, I'm be uber happy.

But I like the concept of the Starbases and I like what you get for a lot of hard work for building it up. If you want a handout go play WoW.
  • twg042370twg042370 Member Posts: 2,312 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    What is the point of an MMO that is effectively single-player?

A game where you're not burdened with people trying to turn your relaxation time into version of Second Life that isn't soul crushingly dull?

Anyway, Season 7 will be the test for me. If its designed that you can't do the content without the fleet ship, I will give my gear away for 1ec each when I quit.
    <3
  • firefox3178firefox3178 Member Posts: 112 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Change is sometimes a painful affair.

When I first started playing STO, I was really taken off guard by how single-player the game really was. Even the PvEs could be done without the cooperation of those on your team. Teamwork didn't really come into play until you started doing STFs.

I can understand how people feel like they are being forced into a fleet. But I think for the majority, Season 6 will be the time when STO finally becomes a MMO not just in name only.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Cryptic: If you think the bugs are bad, wait until you see our fixes!
  • dariusmajeredariusmajere Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ahh yes Another Complaigner.. STOP,, Nooo, Don't make a MULTIPLAYER game beneficial to the MULTIplayers... Waaah... I don't want to be in a MULTIplayer Environment that actually makes me PLAY with other PLAYERS. Don't want to work well with others? Have social phobias or issues? Just Generally dont get along well with others. Then Deal with everything that comes with it. Fleet Gear, Fleet Bases, Fleet Items, Are Actually out there now for those of us who Conquer our phobias, Who step up and Deal with other people, to socialize and finds groups that have a like minded thought. The Fleet System is not meant to Exist for a Solo player to take advantage of something Designed that multiple people are supposed to work towards.
    Proud Fleet Commander in Garfon's Renegades!
    Proud Leader of the Massive Chaos Group
    Proud Listener of Subspace-Radio.net The Voice of Star Trek Online.
    [SIGPIC]http://massivechaos.enjin.com/[/SIGPIC]
  • kamiyama317kamiyama317 Member Posts: 1,295 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    TOO COMPLICATED

I think the title says it all!

I have been a member since launch.

I do not often voice my opinion, being a player who trusts that Cryptic/Perfect World is taking this game in the proper direction.

However, I must voice my opinion now. Season 6 has become overly complicated.

I think major changes need to be made that include:

YES DO THIS!!!

Everyone should be able to build a starbase! I wouldn't care about being a member of a fleet at all, if I could build my own starbase. I think it would make the new ships more accessible to everyone, and just be more fun for all of the players.

It would become like a second ship - it would have stuff you would upgrade, you could trick out its weapons and shields for starbase defense missions (which should be added, btw), you would have to man it with duty officers and do special assignments. The fun to be had. I can't wait!

Seriously, Cryptic. DO THIS.
    edited July 2012
    skhc wrote: »
    This is an MMO, and, at the moment, more than 90% of the game content does not require you to interact with another human. What is the point of an MMO that is effectively single-player?

I think STO is a very unique beast. Yes, it attracts MMO players who are in to interaction with other people but it also attracts Star Trek fans who don't play it because of other people, but rather because it's the most detailed Star Trek game around.

I fall in the the latter category. Sure, I enjoy the teamwork in the STFs, but 99% of the reason why I play is because I'm a trekkie. I love flying ships that I watched for years on TV. In primary school my friends and I used to pretend we were flying starships hunting klinks!!

I'm pretty sure PWE realises this and won't ever limit the game to cater for just one of the groups I described above. If it does, the game will really suffer.
  • deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If anyone is interested I'm selling fleets; 1,500,000 E.C.
  • deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think STO is a very unique beast. Yes, it attracts MMO players who are in to interaction with other people but it also attracts Star Trek fans who don't play it because of other people, but rather because it's the most detailed Star Trek game around.

I fall in the the latter category. Sure, I enjoy the teamwork in the STFs, but 99% of the reason why I play is because I'm a trekkie. I love flying ships that I watched for years on TV. In primary school my friends and I used to pretend we were flying starships hunting klinks!!

I'm pretty sure PWE realises this and won't ever limit the game to cater for just one of the groups I described above. If it does, the game will really suffer.

we may not be in primary school, but why can't we be friends and pretend we're hunting klinks?

Being a grown up doesn't mean you can't make new friends.

Most people I've met were Okay, true some are real arsehole, but most us are trekkies, and hanging out with like-minded people is always fun.
    edited July 2012
    For me, I find I'm on at very erratic times, and whilst I've met various people around the traps, the contact is far too infrequent to continue a past conversation. Because of that I really don't look to meet people.

Don't get me wrong, i enjoy the free-for-all chats on ESD and DS9 (which I fear starbases will kill), but I don't look to do team missions. Apart from STFs.
  • clamyfishstickclamyfishstick Member Posts: 53 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    OP obviously doesn't like teams or fleets.

Seriously, don't play an MMO or other online game if you don't plan to be sociable.
    edited July 2012
    OP obviously doesn't like teams or fleets.

Seriously, don't play an MMO or other online game if you don't plan to be sociable.

I don't understand people who get annoyed at how other people play the game. Why does everyone who play MMO's have to be social bugs?

Personally while I don't want to be in a fleet, though I enjoy doing PVP once in a while, and use the exchange on an almost daily basis. Even if I didn't do these things, and avoided all interaction with other people entirely, I would still be paying into the game. Anyone who helps to fund the game helps to improve your gameplay experience, whether or not they choose to talk to you.
  • blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To my understanding Fleet Bases are just like Guild Halls in Guild Wars? If you make a guild in Guild Wars you have to pay a small amount in fake gold. Then when you buy a guild hall and have to stock it with chests and merchants and etc..

IMO Guild Halls are useless unless you are heavy into PVP or need a center to meet up with your Guild buddies. Does this sum up what a Fleet Base does?
  • krell83stokrell83sto Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    TOO COMPLICATED
    This game is so simple, I get a good laugh from anyone whom thinks it's complicated.

Thank you, thank you very much.

"...just look at my track record for making the improvements that I said we would with the KDF and judge by that." - Dan Stahl
  • jardailjardail Member Posts: 5 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I don't understand people who get annoyed at how other people play the game. Why does everyone who play MMO's have to be social bugs?

Personally while I don't want to be in a fleet, though I enjoy doing PVP once in a while, and use the exchange on an almost daily basis. Even if I didn't do these things, and avoided all interaction with other people entirely, I would still be paying into the game. Anyone who helps to fund the game helps to improve your gameplay experience, whether or not they choose to talk to you.

Agreed, people who get annoyed about others who don't WANT to play in their special little group for their special little people should play THEIR game the way they want and let others play their game the way THEY want. It's not rocket science to make it enjoyable for everyone, we are all paying customers.
  • lilchibiclarililchibiclari Member Posts: 1,193 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I think fleet starbases will render ESD useless. I kinda like the idea of federation ships reporting to Earth, not some base located who knows where.

Every ship directly reporting to Earth no matter how far afield they are is akin to every US Navy ship directly reporting to The Pentagon. Bureaucracy just does not work that way--you can't have every Captain reporting directly to the top, or else Admiral Quinn would have twenty times more appointments than would fit on his calendar.
  • pyryckpyryck Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm soo glad that I'm in a "company" and not in a "fleet"!

Having my very own company (which includes all of my fed alts) is a blessing. :P

Now I have my very own starbase on which to house my companies operations and Starfleet is helping me to build it! :D
  • boglejam73boglejam73 Member Posts: 890 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    krell83sto wrote: »
    This game is so simple, I get a good laugh from anyone whom thinks it's complicated.

Thank you, thank you very much.

Hey, thats a useful, insightful post that really adds to the conversation.

Oh, wait. No it isn't. You just posted to tell everyone how smart you think you are.

Congrats on padding that post count, forum-warrior. :rolleyes:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited July 2012
    I would love to see fleet creation tokens added to the game. Let me pay 100 cryptic points and create a fleet without the 5 member requirement! Make them one-use only, so you get repeat business!

You can make easy money from me Cryptic! Why am I standing in front of the Fleet Ambassador begging people for help? This is stupid. :mad:
  • vetteguy904vetteguy904 Member Posts: 3,908 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would love to see fleet creation tokens added to the game. Let me pay 100 cryptic points and create a fleet without the 5 member requirement! Make them one-use only, so you get repeat business!

You can make easy money from me Cryptic! Why am I standing in front of the Fleet Ambassador begging people for help? This is stupid. :mad:

yep. and the sad thing is, that i would welcome joining a fleet if 99% didn't have the most idiotic names. Warpigs and maddogs and such.. really? is it star fleet or a NY street gang?

Where the hell is Cruiser Division 12 or destroyer squadron 31? hell I haven't even seen 1st thru 12th fleet!
    sig.jpg
  • stohansonstohanson Member Posts: 106 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    To the OP, no...
  • shantavishantavi Member Posts: 129 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Did that ever happen?

If it did, that makes it possible for EVERYONE to have their starbase and have access to fleet store and fleet ships.

If they didn't, then I feel the OP's pain, as I don't want to be forced into a guild just to have a competitive ship, or access to T5 ships that are not available anywhere else. (such as the T5 Nova)

It still takes five. But, you can just find four people to help (a lot of people offer EC for this) then kick the other 4 people out. Now you have your own single player Fleet.

"Back on topic. Destinii is correct."

(Formerly Destinii until the 'Great PWE Forum Shakeup of 2012')