test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What is the most iconic Klingon ship?

2»

Comments

• aesicaaesica Member Posts: 736 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    "Bird of Prey" is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear (read) "Klingon ship."

So let's go with that.
    Rubberband Dance has been unlocked!
    kNqxcCf.gif
  • farmallmfarmallm Member Posts: 4,630 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would say the Bird of Prey as well. Since it was the most used ship. And most easily spotted by that. The Vor'cha and Negh'Var was used very little. So not many can say that is a Klingon ship. Granted the D7/K't'inga was used a lot in TOS. But after that you rarely saw those. So the BOP is the most Iconic, while the D7/K't'inga is the Classic.
    Enterprise%20C_zpsrdrf3v8d.jpg

USS Casinghead NCC 92047 launched 2350
    Fleet Admiral Stowe - Dominion War Vet.
  • jjumetleyjjumetley Member Posts: 281 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    trygvar13 wrote: »
    A cloaking device goes against everything the Klingons are. They don't hide from their enemies, they die with their eyes wide open. But because of this slight change it became cannon and is now part of their history.
    Can't agree with you on that. Klingon ships are generally regarded as inferior to those of Starfleet. Klingons are honourable but not stupid. The cloaking device simply evens the chances during the skirmish. Apart from Chang's BoP, all their ships had to decloak if they wanted to fire.

Secondly - some Klingons understand the word "honour" differently. Worf once said (and I think Gowron too): "Nothing is more honorable than victory".

Thirdly - when Klingons used D7 cruisers they weren't portrayed as honourable. They were as cunning as the Romulans in TOS.

Fourthly - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't K't'ingas in TMP have some kind of bird feathers on the hull?
  • misterde3misterde3 Member Posts: 4,195 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Since an icon does not have to be ever-present to be iconic I'd say while the BoP was the most ubiquitous Klingon ship, the D7 frame is the more iconic one.:cool:
  • travelingmastertravelingmaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    jjumetley wrote: »
    Can't agree with you on that. Klingon ships are generally regarded as inferior to those of Starfleet. Klingons are honourable but not stupid. The cloaking device simply evens the chances during the skirmish. Apart from Chang's BoP, all their ships had to decloak if they wanted to fire.

Secondly - some Klingons understand the word "honour" differently. Worf once said (and I think Gowron too): "Nothing is more honorable than victory".

Thirdly - when Klingons used D7 cruisers they weren't portrayed as honourable. They were as cunning as the Romulans in TOS.

Fourthly - Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't K't'ingas in TMP have some kind of bird feathers on the hull?

Indeed, not all Klingons would interpret the concept of honor in the same way as a Samurai or a particularly virtuous European Knight would. That Worf quote is particularly telling. What's honorable and glorious in the Klingon mind is winning battles with the resources you have at hand, though most Klingons would prefer an even fight in terms of numbers and firepower :P
    My PvP toon is Krov, of The House of Snoo. Beware of my Hegh'ta of doom.
  • keppabar42keppabar42 Member Posts: 60 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    B'Rel is like a Klingon VW Beetle, classic, common, cheap.
    D7 is the closest the Klingons have ever come to a real Jaguar E type classic design :D
  • marveriusmarverius Member Posts: 27 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    It is odd that the original Bird of Prey from the third movie was supposed to be a Romulan ship. However, due to script and creative changes (plus a lack of budget and already made make up cosmetics I believe), it was change to Klingon.

I can't think of Klingons without thinking of the Bird of Prey and the D7 and their variants. It is a toss up.
  • lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    farmallm wrote: »
    I would say the Bird of Prey as well. Since it was the most used ship. And most easily spotted by that. The Vor'cha and Negh'Var was used very little. So not many can say that is a Klingon ship. Granted the D7/K't'inga was used a lot in TOS. But after that you rarely saw those. So the BOP is the most Iconic, while the D7/K't'inga is the Classic.

Hmm, so the original/refit connie is classic but the Galaxy is iconic because more people saw TNG.

:eek:

I eagerly await you defending your position in 20 years with the next generation of viewers.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • aurigas7aurigas7 Member Posts: 488 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Bird of Prey. I don't care much about this space junk from TOS.
    Vorcha_forward.jpg
  • daharmasterklagdaharmasterklag Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hands down the TMP era K'tinga and then next is the earlier TOS era D-7. Nothing else really compares IMO.

• sovereignmansovereignman Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    TNG represent. The BoP.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rMm_VoKkuco - Needs more female relief ops ensign.
  • denliner1701denliner1701 Member Posts: 72 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Probably the B'Rel Bird of Prey. Even though the D-7 is presented as the good old Klingon ship, and it's the first Klingon ship and cruiser I have seen, the B'Rel is the ship of great Generals and has been in service for decades, definitely a Klingon ship if it survived glorious battles with the Federation, the Dominion, and all who dare oppose the Empire.

However, it's a matter of taste, and I'm just giving out my opinion but I'll definitely choose the B'Rel as the iconic Klingon ship.
  • gehmorgehmor Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Well, I'm an old TRIBBLE and cut my teeth on TOS, so I've got to say the D7 (and K'Tinga).

As far as iconic goes, check out the shirt the singer for Sto-vo-kor is wearing here: 'Nuff said.

Hi! I used to be JBHemlock. There's already one of those in PWE. I play the Klingon Kerr, but there's already a Kerr in PWE, too. So I'm Gehmor, my Cardassian alt. Just picture me with a plate of gagh.
  • drkfrontiersdrkfrontiers Member Posts: 2,477 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Tough one.

Bird of Prey Vs. K'T'inga
  • eldarion79eldarion79 Member Posts: 1,679 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would say the BOP because it was the most used in the movies and later series, especially TNG and DS9. I remember when the B'moth was on DS9, I was like wow, they still use those. Of course, VOY would late show one too in Prophecy.
  • nrobbiecnrobbiec Member Posts: 959 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Negh'var. D7 is monstrously ugly.
  • apollyontb76apollyontb76 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    nrobbiec wrote: »
    Negh'var. D7 is monstrously ugly.

This...

The D-7 is the boxiest, and worse "design" I have ever seen. It honestly looked like a second grader drew a picture and gave it to his father who happened to be in charge of creating the art of the D-7. Even then it looks "unfinished", as if the artist just stopped and went home or got fired after making a pathetic design.

The BoP screams "KLINGON" to me. I don't care if they "stole" the design, or if the script changed and they ended up "getting" the BoP. I don't care what movie or series it appeared or .. didn't appear in. I don't care what ship blew up what ship in what series during what time. When I see a BoP I will find myself biting my lip thinking "ok how many of them are out there ..." and wondering just what amazing idea the captain of the "inferior" BoP will use to knock a hole in a Galaxy class cruiser.

D7 - ...an afterthought of a "what could have been" design

BoP - Everything a Klingon represents and I play STO just to fly one.