test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Season 6 Foundry Heads-up

Hi Foundry Authors!

As we move closer to the launch of Season 6, the team and I wanted to give you all a heads up on some Foundry-related items. Please take note of these items and determine if any of your missions will be affected when Season 6 launches (there aren't many):
1) At the time Season 6 launches, the editing tool for the Foundry will be disabled as previous missions are republished -- we expect this editing downtime to last only a short while. Republishing will be an automatic process for almost all missions, but there are a few that will need to be manually updated before they can be republished. More on that in the following points.

2) It is no longer possible to use multiple maps inside a "Complete All". Note: Projects with this will go through the auto-republish, but the associated Unfinished Tasks must be resolved before an author can manually republish.*

3) We resolved an issue that incorrectly allowed "Whole Map" to be used as a valid "Leave From" selection on Cryptic maps. Note that it's still a valid selection for custom maps.*

4) A few projects have NPC Groups associated with "Kill" objectives that are not "Enemy" allegiance -- this is not working as intended and will now correctly result in an Unfinished Task.*

* The few authors who had these in one of their missions will need to update their projects and remove this before they can republish their mission.
Thanks for your understanding and we look forward to seeing all of your amazing missions built during Season 6 and beyond.

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
Post edited by pwebranflakes on

Comments

• Options
    rogueeenterpriserogueeenterprise Member Posts: 299 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Shields up... prepare for Season arrival! :D
  • Options
    synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thanks for the info!
  • Options
    sean2448sean2448 Member Posts: 815 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    getting close what better time then launch on friday the 13th event
  • Options
    markhawkmanmarkhawkman Member Posts: 35,231 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Is it intentional to disable the ability of Foundry chars to complete normal mission?

When Emani (my Tribble Foundry char, see avatar) tries to access contacts that would normally give missions to a KDF char, she typically gets a blank message window. Also the UI button for "Hail KDF" is usually greyed out. When using the hotkey (J) to pull up the window, I don't see any contacts listed to hail. Also Emani's "Beam out"/"Warp Out" button is permanently disabled for all maps, even Cryptic maps.

Tetin (my Holodeck Foundry char) can do all of the above, although the game tends to hang whenever a mission with a cutscene gets to the cut scene. The Cutscene never starts, and sometimes the mission can't be completed.

Anyways, I LOVE the UI improvements in Tribble Foundry. It'll be nice to see those in Holodeck Foundry.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
    Costume_marhawkman_Tsin%27xing_CC_Comic_Page_Blue_488916968.jpg
  • Options
    nagoraknagorak Member Posts: 882 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I hope the republish goes smoothly this time. After the S4 debacle I'm always scared when a new season goes live.
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012

3) We resolved an issue that incorrectly allowed "Whole Map" to be used as a valid "Leave From" selection on Cryptic maps. Note that it's still a valid selection for custom maps.*

TRIBBLE, whelp, that breaks "One Too Many"... Gonna need to think up a creative reason to fix that.
  • Options
    backyardserenadebackyardserenade Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Since I now have a mission out, this is my first time experiencing all the "New Season Anxiety" that many Foundry authors have already gone through.

I just hope things will run smoother than after Season 4. Can't wait to play with the new assets and interface, though. :)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Sometimes you have to do things that you hate, so you can survive to fight another day."
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I just wish I could get into the damn thing.
  • Options
    drogyn1701drogyn1701 Member Posts: 3,606 Media Corps
    edited July 2012
    Starting to inch over the thin spam line there Mike. If they haven't figured out by now you have a problem, then they/we have bigger problems.

Anyway, I'll be taking my missions down tonight, just in case S6 launches Thursday. I would rather not put my missions in the hands of Cryptic's autopublish. Mine were some of the ones affected by the season 4 autopublish bug - which was fixed, thanks - so I feel more comfortable if I do the publishing manually.

I'm going to be redoing all the dialogue to add titles and maybe even swap out for some of the new maps, so they'll all need republishing anyway.

p.s. This new forums doesn't recognize the m dash. What's up with that?
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    sandukutupusandukutupu Member Posts: 179 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    drogyn1701 wrote: »
    ... I'll be taking my missions down tonight, just in case S6 launches Thursday. ...

I assume you mean withdraw?

So far I don't know what effect (if any) this will have on my missions. But I am just using the old fashion /ugcEditorExportProject C:\script.txt to save everything.

At least my dialog and placement information should be safe that way. It really is too bad we can save the costumes...

Keeping my fingers crossed. :)
    NFA-banner.png
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I meant withdraw. Not going to be deleting anything :) I just don't trust the automatic republish software after Season 4. My missions along with many others lost dialogue and other things in the auto republish (that wasn't the only problem with the season 4 launch, but it was one of the big ones.) Granted, it was all fixed eventually, and I'm sure they learn from their mistakes. But I just want to err on the side of caution. I'll manually publish my missions Thursday evening/whenever I have them upgraded... assuming Thursday is launch day.
    The Foundry Roundtable live Saturdays at 7:30PM EST/4:30PM PST on twitch.tv/thefoundryroundtable
  • Options
    azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm crossing my fingers that what Zero said that there shouldn't be any problems.

But one thing I wish they listended to us regarding the new Editor with those small (or should I say tiny?) text boxes. And still wish they added that feature to allow you to prioritize objects so you can move them above one another. So a floor can stay a floor and walls isn't hidden by that newly placed floor.
  • Options
    zer0niusrexzer0niusrex Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah I meant withdraw. Not going to be deleting anything :) I just don't trust the automatic republish software after Season 4. My missions along with many others lost dialogue and other things in the auto republish (that wasn't the only problem with the season 4 launch, but it was one of the big ones.) Granted, it was all fixed eventually, and I'm sure they learn from their mistakes. But I just want to err on the side of caution. I'll manually publish my missions Thursday evening/whenever I have them upgraded... assuming Thursday is launch day.

We have already done several full auto-republishes of all the Holodeck Foundry missions, as part of our validation to find issues like the ones uncovered by Season 4. That's how we're able to tell all of the authors the issues they're going to have when the auto-republishes occur with the Season 6 launch.

The main problem we ran into with Season 4 was that authors were in and editing stuff so we couldn't safely fix and roll back their projects; it was not because of the republishing. We're side-stepping that issue by not allowing access to the editor until the republishes are complete. This will allow authors to report any problems with their missions after they're republished, so that we are aware there is an issue we weren't expecting.

By withdrawing your projects, you're ensuring that if there is a problem with them, it won't be found until after our team thinks the coast is clear for editing, so to speak.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hmm. Lots to think about.

I admit in Season 4 I was one of those authors who was in and editing as soon as I could (not knowing that bad things were going on). Though mostly I was just super excited to be able to set a custom height on an NPC, so I went through and adjusted the heights throughout all my missions and republished quickly.

Anyway, you're saying what we should do is instead of withdrawing and republishing we need to wait out the Foundry downtime then go through and examine very closely all of our missions and report if there are problems. Can we assume that you will be watching the Foundry bug report forum very closely on patch day? I know I speak for most of the authors that we all hope very much that there are no issues... but in that unhappy event we hope you are watching for reports so you can respond quickly.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Hmm. Lots to think about.

I admit in Season 4 I was one of those authors who was in and editing as soon as I could (not knowing that bad things were going on). Though mostly I was just super excited to be able to set a custom height on an NPC, so I went through and adjusted the heights throughout all my missions and republished quickly.

Anyway, you're saying what we should do is instead of withdrawing and republishing we need to wait out the Foundry downtime then go through and examine very closely all of our missions and report if there are problems. Can we assume that you will be watching the Foundry bug report forum very closely on patch day? I know I speak for most of the authors that we all hope very much that there are no issues... but in that unhappy event we hope you are watching for reports so you can respond quickly.

We will be watching the Foundry forums VERY closely. Nobody wants a repeat of what happened when we launched Season 4.

Your allowing your mission to auto-republish and then reporting any issues to us would be very helpful, and we'd definitely appreciate your taking that tack. :)
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Cant we just leave the foundry as it is and just add the new props etc?
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    kalanikalani Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »

I'm sure they could but then nobody in STO would ever get to take advantage of any of the Neverwinter advancements and frankly some of the stuff like designing our own floor plan in interiors is sounding really nice.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    thay8472 wrote: »

Nope. The tech required to add new stuff was changed. :)
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Waiting...with anxiety and trepidation...but waiting patiently none-the less. I don't think any of those issues affect any of my missions, but I guess i'll find out.

I hope this is painless.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    kalani2 wrote: »
    I'm sure they could but then nobody in STO would ever get to take advantage of any of the Neverwinter advancements and frankly some of the stuff like designing our own floor plan in interiors is sounding really nice.

Yes, as I understand it these changes are bringing us closer to a point where they can do a full code merge with Neverwinter once it is released.
    We will be watching the Foundry forums VERY closely. Nobody wants a repeat of what happened when we launched Season 4.

Your allowing your mission to auto-republish and then reporting any issues to us would be very helpful, and we'd definitely appreciate your taking that tack.

Ok Zero, putting my trust in you and leaving my missions up.
  • Options
    thay8472thay8472 Member Posts: 6,109 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Nope. The tech required to add new stuff was changed. :)

then don't TRIBBLE it up please :P

Dont want to lose my stuff :O
    2gdi5w4mrudm.png
    Typhoon Class please!
  • Options
    edited July 2012

Your allowing your mission to auto-republish and then reporting any issues to us would be very helpful, and we'd definitely appreciate your taking that tack. :)
    I've seen some of the results of that. I went in the Tribble foundry and played some older missions that were written prior to the Season 6 test started. One of them was unplayable due to the spawn point placing the player underneath the map. It's not a severe issue, but it is a problem that would need correcting. However, the other one had no significant issues, and was playable as is even though it hadn't been republished since (nov?) last year.

Are we going to be able to test Foundry missions with chars that aren't NewBs? Trying to write a mission for VA level play when using a level 1 char doesn't work very well. :( I get that Foundry Chars aren't "real" chars and are not meant to be played the same way as normal characters. However, it's hard to get a good idea as to how well balanced a mission is if your character has standard issue junk for equipment and no bridge crew.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    psycoticvulcanpsycoticvulcan Member Posts: 4,160 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Are we going to be able to test Foundry missions with chars that aren't NewBs? Trying to write a mission for VA level play when using a level 1 char doesn't work very well. :( I get that Foundry Chars aren't "real" chars and are not meant to be played the same way as normal characters. However, it's hard to get a good idea as to how well balanced a mission is if your character has standard issue junk for equipment and no bridge crew.

That would be an awesome feature and I totally support it.

That said, it is possible to rank up a Foundry character relatively fast. Just go to one of the True Way/Terran Empire DSEs and "Kill Target" your way up to VA. It's tedious, but it works.
    NJ9oXSO.png
    "Critics who say that the optimistic utopia Star Trek depicted is now outmoded forget the cultural context that gave birth to it: Star Trek was not a manifestation of optimism when optimism was easy. Star Trek declared a hope for a future that nobody stuck in the present could believe in. For all our struggles today, we haven’t outgrown the need for stories like Star Trek. We need tales of optimism, of heroes, of courage and goodness now as much as we’ve ever needed them."
    -Thomas Marrone
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Oh I leveled my Holodeck foundry char all the way up to 43. Once I got to a high enough level I had her start doing Doff missions. It takes twice as long to level a Foundry char as it does to level a "real" character. :(

I've also done that "kill target" trick in Borg space. (you get better loot)

One proposal I've been pondering is to allow players to use "real" characters when previewing missions. Not copies of real chars, but their ACTUAL Holodeck characters. To prevent abuse you could make it so that "Preview mode" prevents item drops and keeps characters from gaining XP.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Wait, how do we do that? only time i have been able to play with my foundry character is when im working on a mission
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    Go to the story tab, click on "play mission from starting point", then instead of starting the mission, go do something else. The Entrance door too your mission determines where you spawn when doing this.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    chicochavezchicochavez Member Posts: 115 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Ok, so where exactly ARE we then when this is done? Holodeck? Tribble? Just kind of curious here.
    Play Star Trek: Allegiance - my first series in the Foundry
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    After you click "Play mission from Start"? You spawn in a private instance of whatever map it is. If you were editing on the Holodeck foundry then the private instance is on the Holodeck server. The same goes for Tribble.
    -=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
    My character Tsin'xing
  • Options
    designationxr377designationxr377 Member Posts: 542 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This is my first and only time I will confide in the possibility of S6 released this week. I don't think it is going to or should happen now after playing the Tribble Build. That said...

Bran, test through whatever mission you plan on spotlighting post release to make sure it works at intended after launch. Giving PR to a mission that is broke, would be a tragedy.

If it does launch tomorrow I will post here in the Discussion Forums a post about the changes that pop up to pre-S6 Published Missions.
  • Options
    woghdwoghd Member Posts: 146 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    We should be able to adjust our foundry characters any way we want, ie., level, equipment, race, appearance, ...all of it. It's not like we can play the game with these characters, we need this ability so we can properly test.

I suspect that the devs are worried that people will "play" the game with foundry characters as some sort of "hack", rather than playing normally. I guess that concern is valid if there are people out there who don't want to play PWE's regular content, but other than that, the concern is completely misplaced.

We need more control over our foundry characters in order to properly create content.
    [SIGPIC]HTTP://RABIDPANDARANCH.COM/images/grazcity.png[/SIGPIC]

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: CHANGE THE FORUMS BACK !!!