test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Tholian Invasion - Fleet marks is time gated as a reward

cptskeeterukcptskeeteruk Member Posts: 559 Arc User
Hey all.

Just thought i would make this a little more public. With it being on tribble it could be subject to change but i doubt it with it being close to s6 launch now.

It has been confirmed that the tholian fleet event will be time gated not by availability but by reward i.e the only way to get fleet marks from event will be when its on the calendar not the normal 24/7 route. So i do not know why but Fleet Marks will be harder to earn now due to them being time gated.

Basically it means your not being rewarded for doing the tholian event only when its on the calendar which will probably mean people will not be playing it if they are wanting to earn fleet marks with their fleet mates.

Info:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=305301

Response about it being gated:
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4709641&postcount=12
http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4710221&postcount=20

Weather this equates to all Fleet Marks being time gated for all missions where you can earn it, I'm not sure.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Post edited by cptskeeteruk on

Comments

• azurianstarazurianstar Member Posts: 6,985 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'm disappointed they are time gating this, inspite the ferverish disapproval from the fanbase with the Deferi Event and the Vault Event. This punishes small fleets that don't have enough people to do the normal fleet missions, to earn Fleet Marks. (And please don't start about recruiting people, some fleets are small for a reason).

So if they are time gating this, then they better be adding more locations to earn Fleet Marks that isn't that boring Colony Invasion or that ridiciously underrewarded No Win Scenario Event.
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The various Tholian invasion missions on Nukara are intended to be available all the time so that you don't have to wait for an hourly event to access this content. (we want to make the Borg Defera Missions function similarly in the future as well).

This set of missions was not originally intended to offer any Fleet Marks at all as it more about setting up the introduction of the Tholians than it was about Fleet Starbases or Fleet Actions. Plus remember, that not all players are in a Fleet. The reward struction in this Zone reflects the fact that Fleet Marks are not the focus. Any player (fleeted or not) can earn cool new Tholian rewards by playing missions in this zone.

However, after internal discussions we agreed that all of the new missions being released in Season 6 should offer Fleet Marks in some way to make it useful for max level Fleet Members. All the missions reward Fleet Marks in various increments, with the only difference in the Nukara Zone being that we wanted these missions to be constantly replayable and not an easy source of FMs.

To facilitate this, we are creating a single "Fleet Hour" event which (last I checked) will be running multiple times per day. During those hours, some events will be offering additional Fleet Marks, and some missions like the ones on Nukara will offer Fleet Marks where they previously did not.

As with anything, we reserve the right to change this in the future, but that is the plan right now.
  • tobar26thtobar26th Member Posts: 799 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    First of all - dislike. I'd rather see extra fleet marks in the event than none through the rest of the time.

Secondly, I hope this has a two hour event - an hour is too short, learn from Defera please :)
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If the Tholian Invasion event runs multiple times per day, that's fine.

In another thread on the same matter, I suggested a possible solution of handing out Fleet Marks as a "daily" reward for completing one or more of the Invasion missions on Nukara, with additional marks being available during the "event" hours.

Would a solution such as that be an idea, that might satisfy both sides of the fence?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • dastahldastahl Member Posts: 185 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    If the Tholian Invasion event runs multiple times per day, that's fine.

In another thread on the same matter, I suggested a possible solution of handing out Fleet Marks as a "daily" reward for completing one or more of the Invasion missions on Nukara, with additional marks being available during the "event" hours.

Would a solution such as that be an idea, that might satisfy both sides of the fence?

Certainly is possible and something we've discussed. We are going to leave Nukara open 24/7 and have multiple hours a day when you can earn FMs for now.
    edited July 2012
    dastahl wrote: »
    The various Tholian invasion missions on Nukara are intended to be available all the time so that you don't have to wait for an hourly event to access this content. (we want to make the Borg Defera Missions function similarly in the future as well).

This set of missions was not originally intended to offer any Fleet Marks at all as it more about setting up the introduction of the Tholians than it was about Fleet Starbases or Fleet Actions. Plus remember, that not all players are in a Fleet. The reward struction in this Zone reflects the fact that Fleet Marks are not the focus. Any player (fleeted or not) can earn cool new Tholian rewards by playing missions in this zone.

Well it was gracious you added the Fleet Marks to that event, but what are Fleetless players going to do with Fleet Marks they don't need? What's to keep them coming back once they got all those rewards?
    However, after internal discussions we agreed that all of the new missions being released in Season 6 should offer Fleet Marks in some way to make it useful for max level Fleet Members. All the missions reward Fleet Marks in various increments, with the only difference in the Nukara Zone being that we wanted these missions to be constantly replayable and not an easy source of FMs.

To facilitate this, we are creating a single "Fleet Hour" event which (last I checked) will be running multiple times per day. During those hours, some events will be offering additional Fleet Marks, and some missions like the ones on Nukara will offer Fleet Marks where they previously did not.

As with anything, we reserve the right to change this in the future, but that is the plan right now.

Be nice if we could get Fleet Marks with PvP and with the STFs, since fleets work together in these areas long before Fleet Bases. And it gives new incentive for people to do PvP again and with STFs, it gives players the option to do all their grinding in one spot. This is essential for casual players who don't have the time to do multiple grinding (STFs, Fleet, DOFF, Exploration Clusters, etc).
  • meurikmeurik Member Posts: 856 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    You know, given DStahl's sudden burst of communication (as evidenced by his multiple replies in this thread alone), I am now reasonably certain that Season 6 may be coming to Holodeck later today, and the "Silence mode" being lifted :P

EDIT: Azurian makes a fair point. What use does Fleetless players (not everyone joins a Fleet), have for the Fleet Marks? They can't buy anything for those Marks unless they are in a fleet. Can they?
    HvGQ9pH.png
  • thratch1thratch1 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Certainly is possible and something we've discussed. We are going to leave Nukara open 24/7 and have multiple hours a day when you can earn FMs for now.

Is it possible to have overlapping events? If new hourly events keep getting added, it really thins things out. You could have smaller events overlap bigger events, just in case someone would rather get the Dilithium bonus instead of do The Vault, or something.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • diogene0diogene0 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Be nice if we could get Fleet Marks with PvP and with the STFs, since fleets work together in these areas long before Fleet Bases. And it gives new incentive for people to do PvP again and with STFs, it gives players the option to do all their grinding in one spot. This is essential for casual players who don't have the time to do multiple grinding (STFs, Fleet, DOFF, Exploration Clusters, etc).

What's your next request? Fleet Marks for solo player missions? For loggin in? :D

There's a point you don't get : starbases are intended to be a long-run work, it will take one or two years, so you'll have plenty of time to get spammed by fleetmarks, even as a casual. Starbeses don't require that many fleetmarks ; you may have some difficulties reaching tier I as soon as bigger fleets do, but for uper tiers, this is a non-existent problem. :)

Something is sure, Fleetmarks are going to be the next bridge officer skills points, we will end with useless millions of them, since it's pretty easy to earn too many.
    Lenny Barre, lvl 60 DC. 18k.
    God, lvl 60 CW. 17k.
  • sparhawksparhawk Member Posts: 796 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    meurik wrote: »
    You know, given DStahl's sudden burst of communication (as evidenced by his multiple replies in this thread alone), I am now reasonably certain that Season 6 may be coming to Holodeck later today, and the "Silence mode" being lifted :P

EDIT: Azurian makes a fair point. What use does Fleetless players (not everyone joins a Fleet), have for the Fleet Marks? They can't buy anything for those Marks unless they are in a fleet. Can they?

Unless something hasn't been revealed yet, the answer is no. I asked basically the same question on the Tribble boards and never received an answer.
  • arcademasterarcademaster Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If you do ever decide to join a fleet you have something to turn into fleed credits right away at least.

Anyway, not all rewards are for everyone. When a Featured Episode rewards a nice Phaser Beam and my ship is geared for Antiproton cannons, is it something to cry over? I do the Episode anyway since it's fun.

You can still run the Tholian ground invasion for the new ground set if you don't want the fleet marks. Then it's also not time gated if you don't care for the marks. Also I'm guessing there are new accolades. It's not like Defera has more to offer than accolades these days. When it hit Tribble I never considered this map to be primarily for fleet mark grinding.

Still I would have prefered it if the map would always give fleet marks but double during event hour. Best of both worlds.
    edited July 2012
    diogene0 wrote: »
    What's your next request? Fleet Marks for solo player missions? For loggin in? :D

Hmm, that's an idea. :rolleyes:
    diogene0 wrote: »
    There's a point you don't get : starbases are intended to be a long-run work, it will take one or two years, so you'll have plenty of time to get spammed by fleetmarks, even as a casual. Starbeses don't require that many fleetmarks ; you may have some difficulties reaching tier I as soon as bigger fleets do, but for uper tiers, this is a non-existent problem. :)

Something is sure, Fleetmarks are going to be the next bridge officer skills points, we will end with useless millions of them, since it's pretty easy to earn too many.

And there's a point you don't get: I'm NOT complaining about Starbases being long term projects.

What I AM complaining about is more grind being added. People are sick of it, given what they had to go through for that Reman Set and the STFs, where 8 months later, people STILL yet gotten their MK12 sets!

If it's as you say and Fleet Marks are cheap all the way to Tier 5, then there is no problem. But if it ends up being grind, well lets just say that STO's playerbase is going to decline for funner pastures. And if you don't believe me, ask those people who left STO because of that STF grind.
  • vonbonvonbon Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    its the head honcho! jump on him!

As my own reply, i REALLY want to do the Vault event, but its always on when im looking to tuck in for the night and ive tried it twice when ive managed to catch the assend of it. so please please please pretty please with Tribbles on top, can we have it so the Vault event is multiple times during the day for us in the EU and Working? And the Defera event should be a fulltime Weekend Event, so starts on fri evening, ends late Sat evening, or something like that, after all invasions are a full time commitment
  • caliban149caliban149 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As long as the other missions that reward fleet Marks aren't limited in this way and are continuously available then I don't see a huge issue.

If ALL means of gaining Fleet Marks worked like this then it would severely limit the development of smaller fleets and those with players all in the same time zone. . . . probably also skewed against the UK/EU seeing as ALL time gated events are set up to favor the US players.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    people who are not in fleets can still earn the marks i believe, in case they ever change their minds they will have a stack of them to then use.

its a shame they are removed except for the hours mentioned but perhaps they were too easy to earn on those easy missions, but it does not stop anyone earning marks in the other events or playing the content itself just for the fun of it, or the other rewards.

its not a big deal. i would like to see fleet marks added to other events like the defera invasion, and fleet actions.
    vonbon wrote: »
    its the head honcho! jump on him!

As my own reply, i REALLY want to do the Vault event, but its always on when im looking to tuck in for the night and ive tried it twice when ive managed to catch the assend of it. so please please please pretty please with Tribbles on top, can we have it so the Vault event is multiple times during the day for us in the EU and Working? And the Defera event should be a fulltime Weekend Event, so starts on fri evening, ends late Sat evening, or something like that, after all invasions are a full time commitment

The vault event itself will be 24/7. only the reman data logs will be available using the hour window now.
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If this "zone" was designed with the intention of being something people keep returning to, to experience and or do something with, it begs the question why is the Fleet Mark rewards being gated via Calendar Events? It strips what little incentive there already were with this content.

What could possibly get people to go back there once their Hard missions are on cooldown (16 hours) and there aren't a calendar event in progress?

Nothing would be the answer. The entire design of Defera/Tholian Invasion is just trite, energy and effort wasted which could have gone towards making "STF" or traditional Mission based content instead.
  • vonbonvonbon Member Posts: 126 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    aexrael wrote: »
    If this "zone" was designed with the intention of being something people keep returning to, to experience and or do something with, it begs the question why is the Fleet Mark rewards being gated via Calendar Events? It strips what little incentive there already were with this content.

What could possibly get people to go back there once their Hard missions are on cooldown (16 hours) and there aren't a calendar event in progress?

Nothing would be the answer. The entire design of Defera/Tholian Invasion is just trite, energy and effort wasted which could have gone towards making "STF" or traditional Mission based content instead.

Sorry on behalf of the Devs for trying something differant from the norm :P
  • palpha2clearancepalpha2clearance Member Posts: 432 Arc User
    edited July 2012

dastahl,

What Cryptic just never gets is this is the only thing new to do for content
    Time gating things are a torches and pitch forks hell worthy trespass at this point with the community (so it is good to hear your 1/2 gating the rewards.)

This is my recommendation:
    rotate the intervals at 3 hours on, 3hours off during the week and on all weekend for the Fleet Marks Reward. This will make it most likey that a casual player can receive the reward and contribute to their Fleet.

Something more equitable will prevent the torches and pitchfork type threads,
    You have to understand if you limit anything even grinding is going to be unacceptable
    By the community who are bored out of thier minds waiting for something new to get Starbases rolling and the they can only have it an hour a few times a day you might as well bring D'Angelo back as a guest star, to dash our hopes and dreams about STO being fun again.

I think most of the community has viewed pwe as a bad move for the player and STO has been less fun because of it......you really need to strive to make it fun again, not a game you only log in at certain times to play and collect rewards.

Thank you.

computer reality check complete

P.S. Bring back the starbase 24 ground and ds9 fleet actions with the incorporation of full away teams, and instance FA action objectives, then intergrate full away teams (selectable number) and instance FA objectives in the other existing ground based FA and then you have a good running start........bringing fun back to STO.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • aexraelaexrael Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    vonbon wrote: »
    Sorry on behalf of the Devs for trying something differant from the norm :P

Quest hub grinds aren't something different from the norm, in fact it is exactly the norm in modern MMORPGs.
  • mandrake45mandrake45 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Unfleeted players can also join a fleet temporarily, swap their marks for credits, go shopping and then leave the fleet again.
    Having trouble with ground STFs? Looking for help?

Join the STFHelp channel
  • cptwilliam2cptwilliam2 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

So.... Season 6 will launch with a super awesome Fleet system designed to be both a massive time and resource grind with currencies that require even more time gating and grind for rewards that will also cost some money while forcing smaller fleets to disband, grow, or be lost behind.

I just lost all excitement for Season 6. :(

I'm not askin to be handed Fleet Marks on a golden platter but most of the missions require about 180 (not counting special projects) and loads of of other resources. And from playing Nukara, I still found it a pain to get enough.

This just adds even more weight to crush smaller fleets under a truly bad system. :(
    Join Legends Memorial, a chat channel to share stories about the legends of Trek who are no longer with us.
  • bclark09bclark09 Member Posts: 48 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My 4-man fleet has done well enough on Tribble. We're not blazing through the tiers, but we're making steady progress.

That being said, time gated rewards are not cool. I don't play the game around a schedule and neither do the other three in my fleet. We play when we have time, not when Cryptic says so. I get the need to slow progression to a certain extent so people don't plow through to max level Starbases in a week, but this whole concept of time gated anything is getting out of hand.
  • carl104carl104 Member Posts: 87 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    YOU AREN'T GETTING IT GUYS

re-read.

You can aquire oodles of fleet marks other ways.

tis would be like making Defra avalibile 24/7 but award EDC's during the event period and the complainign about not being able to aquire enough EDC's. With 3 an hour avalibile from normal space and 6 from elite it's a laughable complaint. Fleet marks are avalibile in considrable quantatiy from existing non tholian stuff, the tholian stuff is pure bonus on top. It isn;t even strictly necesery.
  • captainrevo1captainrevo1 Member Posts: 3,948 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    bclark09 wrote: »

That being said, time gated rewards are not cool.

putting that aside for a moment, he did say they originally had no plans to add fleet marks to this event.

99% of the content in the game does not have fleet marks and neither was this. they just changed their minds and decided to add fleet marks to the hour event, to make it more popular and have people gravitate towards the event. i would prefer they would have stayed 24/7 as well but they were never meant to be there at all.

the fact tribble had them on permanently may have confused people and lead them to conclude something was going to happen in a certain way when it fact its not, but this is not really gating rewards as adding extra rewards as a bonus.
  • toivatoiva Member Posts: 3,276 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    The fact that not all players are in a fleet doesn't mean they couldn't benefit from getting fleet marks. I can well imagine lone players offering to contribute fleet marks (or whatever projects require) to fleets in exchange for anything else you can imagine (say even stuff from the fleet stores, if he got enough fleet credits).

Just please add at least some fleet marks to Tholian invasion missions, it's just a fun place to hop in on whenever one's got a couple minutes, either alone or with friends.

EDIT: Ouch, Mandrake45 wrote it already, I really should have read the whole thread...
    TOIVA, Toi Vaxx, Toia Vix, Toveg, T'vritha, To Vrax: Bring in the Allegiance class.
    Toi'Va, Ti'vath, Toivia, Ty'Vris, Tia Vex, Toi'Virth: Add Tier 6 KDF Carrier and Raider.
    Tae'Va, T'Vaya, To'Var, Tevra, T'Vira, To'Vrak: Give us Asylums for Romulans.

Don't make ARC mandatory! Keep it optional only!
    edited July 2012
    aexrael wrote: »
    Quest hub grinds aren't something different from the norm, in fact it is exactly the norm in modern MMORPGs.

Yes, grinding is typical of MMOs. However, grinding itself is typically a way of buying time until the next expansion. For instance, in Everquest the grind was mostly built into the leveling, then from there the grind was camping the new end-game content.

But with STO, the grind IS the new content. And we are grinding until the next grind. So like gears that are grinded, we are getting down to the nubs of our patience and people are starting to move on. Which less income for STO to invest in new projects. :(

And that's what concerns me the most.
  • captaintrueheartcaptaintrueheart Member Posts: 296 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I'm curious about this attachment you guys have towards time gating. The idea of preventing it from being an easy source of FMs makes sense, however that's easily solved by putting a daily wrapper mission over it and letting players run it whenever.

The only advantage I can see in time gating is trying to herd all the players into the same spot at the same time. I assume the logic is that for the forced team content (hard mission in this case) it would be easier to find a group if everyone is there at once. Unfortunately the reality is that even on Defera where the entire thing is time gated, it can still be a challenge to find a decent group.

The best solution to herding players into specific areas are the dedicated channels, like the EliteSTF channel. Not only is it easier to find a team in a channel, often times you're finding a team of decent, knowledgeable players.

Perhaps there's a way to utilize the ingame channels to help coordinate players that would be better than the time gating method in herding everyone together. Unless the time gating is there really only to annoy and frustrate players who have lives outside of the game, at which point it's doing it's job perfectly...
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
    Captain Ariel Trueheart Department of Temporal Investigations
    U.S.S. Valkyrie - NCC 991701
    =/\= ================================= =/\=
  • vesphavespha Member Posts: 43 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Hey all.

Just thought i would make this a little more public. With it being on tribble it could be subject to change but i doubt it with it being close to s6 launch now.

It has been confirmed that the tholian fleet event will be time gated not by availability but by reward i.e the only way to get fleet marks from event will be when its on the calendar not the normal 24/7 route. So i do not know why but Fleet Marks will be harder to earn now due to them being time gated.

Basically it means your not being rewarded for doing the tholian event only when its on the calendar which will probably mean people will not be playing it if they are wanting to earn fleet marks with their fleet mates.

Info:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=305301

Response about it being gated:
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4709641&postcount=12
    http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showpost.php?p=4710221&postcount=20

Weather this equates to all Fleet Marks being time gated for all missions where you can earn it, I'm not sure.

Duh, its called put out as little content as possible and then make it accessable only part of the time...its called stalling ...something PWE does VERY WELL
    "We all change, when you think about it, we're all different people; all through our lives, and that's okay, that's good, you've gotta keep moving, so long as you remember all the people that you used to be."
  • gettorixgettorix Member Posts: 71 Arc User
    edited July 2012

I understand the logic in this, but I still disagree with the decision. There is a massive number of fleet marks needed, and this will affect both small fleets and also those of us who WANT to participate, but have work schedules that are not amenable to these types of time-gates.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • suricattasuricatta Member Posts: 230 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Personally I just think they should add a cooldown on the missions (maybe 30mins to an hour) to prevent people grinding the Fleet Marks to quickly, then during the event hours, increase the ammount of marks earnt. That way people can happily goto the instance to earn credits when they want. Far too many times I miss out on rewards due to the time gating. surely its better to 'always' offer the good rewarsd but offer 'more' of them in special event times? That way people are always getting some type of useful reward.