test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Piracy?

clevername69clevername69 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
edited July 2012 in The Academy
Just curious here, is it possible to be like a pirate kinda player in this game, like in EVE online, where you can attack other players, and loot.
Post edited by clevername69 on

Comments

• Options
    hevachhevach Member Posts: 2,777 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    STO PVP is consentual (in that you need to enter a PVP enabled scenario to get involved), and doesn't involve permanent loss of ships or items.

There is some PVE piracy Klingon side - they have a series of repeatable missions in Pi Canis that mostly involve stealing things from Starfleet, and duty officer missions all over the place that involve robbing civilian ships and facilities from just about every other faction. And Starfleet can get into some old fashioned piracy under color of law if you overuse the Inspect Civilian Freighter assignments.
  • Options
    marctraiderzmarctraiderz Member Posts: 539 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I wish this was possible OP, i really wish it was...

But STO is too artificial for that, and 99% of the playerbase would run from their computer screaming like a little girl if they would be attacked by.

Hence why only 0.1% of the STO players PVP's.
  • Options
    gypsybladegypsyblade Member Posts: 730 Arc User
    edited July 2012

But STO is too artificial for that, and 99% of the playerbase would run from their computer screaming like a little girl if they would be attacked by.

That being said... only 0.1% of players can put up with the way Cryptic coded PvP in this game.....

Was really looking forward to Gozer redoing it.... but he's gone.. so yea... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,802 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No, and hopefully it stays that way. Keep that EVE bull in EVE, thanks.
  • Options
    anazondaanazonda Member Posts: 8,399 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Thank god no...

Such a feature would be silly.
    Don't look silly... Don't call it the "Z-Store/Zen Store"...
    Let me put the rumors to rest: it's definitely still the C-Store (Cryptic Store) It just takes ZEN.
    Like Duty Officers? Support effords to gather ideas
  • Options
    edna#7310 edna Member Posts: 21 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Single player Pvp :rolleyes:
  • Options
    attizzattizz Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

A federation pirate? A really useful idea and totally Star Trek :rolleyes:.

Next the Klingons will withdraw from battles because they fear the enemy. The Ferengi will donate all their Latinum and build a communistic society. Vulcans will become famous party beasts...

If you want to have such features don't play STO. It makes no sense in this game.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial or shall I execute him?" - Worf
  • Options
    sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    As long as "open PVP" takes place in a closed area and the defeated attacker is deleted every time I see no problem with it existing

(in other words I am cruising in open pvp space and am attacked by a defiant I vapourise said defiant and it no longer exists (the owner has to pay for it again))

the Attacker should risk everything for the crime of piracy
    Live long and Prosper
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I know it sounds childish but I would love some sort of pirate costume for my admiral and her crew. Would fit in with the backstory of misfits and troublemakers.
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    attizz wrote: »
    A federation pirate? A really useful idea and totally Star Trek :rolleyes:.

Next the Klingons will withdraw from battles because they fear the enemy. The Ferengi will donate all their Latinum and build a communistic society. Vulcans will become famous party beasts...

If you want to have such features don't play STO. It makes no sense in this game.

Orion PIRATES, aren't in STO.
    :rolleyes:
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    fratarfratar Member Posts: 49 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    This idea...is not good...

Keep in mind that some people play this for pure fun in chill mode. Like me... Then someone comes, freely attacks me and steals my loot that i worked to get?

Then i gotta steal it back or steal from someone else right? No way man...no way...

I enjoy the fact that we can raid with the klingons etc.
    For example i always figured that WoW story sucked extremely bad...TBC, WOTLK, CATA...there is always a big badass dude that is killing everything in his path not caring what it is and only logical thing to do is to unite at least till those guys die...but nooo horde and ally still kill each other while some 3rd side kills them both at same time...

my point is, star trek story is better then that, more logical and to the point.
    Also piracy in Federation???
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Piracy wouldn't be PvP anyway, unless the other player was flying a freighter. Only stupid, dead pirates attack warships. The same warships who are carrying no loot, and regularly have missions to rescue freighters from pirates. All loss, no profit = stupid pirate.
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    lordmalak1 wrote: »

Orion Pirates? There are some Orion doing this, but not all of them. That is true for the Nausicaan too like in ENT. So i don't get your point. They are both not members of the federation.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

"What are his rights in this century? Will there be a trial or shall I execute him?" - Worf
  • Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012

and Nausicaans are peaceful space traders, definitly not known as pirates in the Star Trek universe.
  • Options
    deyvaddeyvad Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Orion Pirates? There are some Orion doing this, but not all of them. That is true for the Nausicaan too like in ENT. So i don't get your point. They are both not members of the federation.

Who's asking for federation pirates?
  • Options
    mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    deyvad wrote: »

I wouldn't mind it as a crew costume. The mercenary outfit is captain only.

Would fit in with my backstory.
  • Options
    brackynewsbrackynews Member Posts: 132 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    deyvad wrote: »

Oh you mean the Maquis? :D:D
    =/\= Transwarp 10.0 Victory Achieved on 26-July-2012, Six Months After F2P =/\=
  • Options
    blargskullblargskull Member Posts: 98 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would have to agree with the majority, that it is a poor decision. I played some WoW and when you are PvE ninja looters really suck! If you don't know what ninja looters are; they follow you around in the game and wait for you to kill a mob, the mob drops some stuff and they run in and scoop it up. It is suppose to be an illegal move but the GM's won't do anything about it.

If the OP meant can you play without faction, no. You are forced to join the Feds just to get the Klingon you really wanted, by then you worked your butt off getting your Fed up to 25 so you really don't want to delete him. Even if you did delete the Fed it won't open a slot for making another Klingon. For $6.25 you can buy 2 more unrestricted slots and make 2 more Klingons.
  • Options
    darkjeffdarkjeff Member Posts: 2,590 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Would fit in with my backstory.

Excuses, excuses. You just want wenches!

(I do too...)
  • Options
    lordmalak1lordmalak1 Member Posts: 4,681 Arc User
    edited July 2012

Where ? I've never seen anything close to being a 'traditional' pirate in ST:O including the Breen in Defera sector. All they do is disable transports and wait around to be killed.

In other games pirates disable your ship then strip it, which doesn't happen anywhere in the ST:O universe that I know of.
    KBF Lord MalaK
    Awoken Dead
    giphy.gif

Now shaddup about the queues, it's a BUG
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    I was speaking about the series :D.

What do you mean with a traditional pirate?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

• Options
    sandormen123sandormen123 Member Posts: 862 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    My five cents to this, is that one can immerse ones mind into a rpg-setting of some sorts.
    My character is ofc technically a Starfleet Officer, but off the record she is dealing in contrabands, making use of non-reglementary equipment, like Borg upgrades. I.e. Flying around in a Ferengi (w/Borg-tech) Marauder doing non-sanctioned Section 31-stuff. At least that is what she calls it when someone gets to nosy, and she can't silence them.
    Who knows what kind of interspecie 'diplomacy' she conducts in her private quarters while nobody is watching. She's a hardcore dabo gambler, stealing goldpressed latinum from Ferengi traders, as if it was candy from a kid. Her privat account is filled up pretty good for someone that is supposed to be straight as a newly pressed shirt.
    Her eye was recently cut out during a ferocious battle, leaving her pretty face quite scarred. Was it during her her official duties, or somewhere in between? Only Kerayz and a few of her closest crewmembers know for sure.
    Kerayz is making well sure that she cannot get in trouble by the sanctimonious Starfleet administration. She has positioned herself as a Vice-Admiral, Section 31 Operative, High-ranking Diplomat on one side, and infamously renown within the shadows of society regarding smuggling, assasinations, etc, etc. Everyone knows that if Kerayz gets in trouble, there will be galactic war throughout dimensions and empires.

:cool:
    /Floozy
  • Options
    selathanselathan Member Posts: 1 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    if you knew the star trek universe you would know that the orion syndicate was orion pirates