test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Graphics Card Settings Ideal for the game

mrwuffausmrwuffaus Member Posts: 44 Arc User
edited August 2012 in Graphical and Sound Issues
Hi I was just wondering if it would be possible to get some assist with graphic settings? I have an NVIDIA graphics card its the GTX480. There are some settings that I would like to get some help with. If I take a screenshot and post it up here I was wondering if I could get some help in finding out what the best settings are. If there is already a post someplace that is specific for the graphics card that I have then if you could post it up I would be greatly appreciate it.

I am running windows 7 64bit
Post edited by mrwuffaus on

Comments

• jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I use a Geforce GTS 250 (not that grunty) and have everything up at max except for shadows. Resolution is 1920x1080 on a 27" HD monitor (BenQ M2700HD). Works fine for me.
  • poisonpoison Member Posts: 255 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    When I was running a 480 the only thing I turned down was the high-detail objects, some of the random Genesis planets with lots of grass would turn choppy. Otherwise, max settings always did fine.
    jfsig02.png
  • beezle23beezle23 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    poison wrote: »
    When I was running a 480 the only thing I turned down was the high-detail objects, some of the random Genesis planets with lots of grass would turn choppy. Otherwise, max settings always did fine.

GTX275 (1.7G version), Drivers 295.73. Monitor is 1680x1050

"Windowed Maximized" seems to be less crashy than "Fullscreen" (Just set the windows taskbar to autohide)

VSync and "half resolution" are Off.

AA is set to 4X

World and Texture quality are 150%, detail distances are 100%

Bloom Intensity is 100%. Brightness is 108%

All other settings are "High," "On," or have the slider maxed.
    Okay thanks for the advice... I have had little trouble since with my system except for the occasional overheating. I really need to get a proper cooling system setup. The one good thing with the system I have is that I am using an Intel? Core? i7 Processor. The motherboard software comes with a program that easily lets me over clock the processor (easytune 6) from gigabyte.com My CPU's default level is 2.79 GHz, though Easy Tune can let me push it up to 3.80 GHz but the problem is if I try that my system shuts down from overheating very quickly :(

Anyway once again thanks for the input guys.
    edited July 2012
    mrwuffaus wrote: »
    Okay thanks for the advice... I have had little trouble since with my system except for the occasional overheating. I really need to get a proper cooling system setup. The one good thing with the system I have is that I am using an Intel? Core? i7 Processor. The motherboard software comes with a program that easily lets me over clock the processor (easytune 6) from gigabyte.com My CPU's default level is 2.79 GHz, though Easy Tune can let me push it up to 3.80 GHz but the problem is if I try that my system shuts down from overheating very quickly :(

Anyway once again thanks for the input guys.

You don't want to overclock with stock cooling.

I'm a big fan of Zalman coolers, but they don't work in some cases because they're very large.

I'm also not keen on overclocking via software, I prefer to do it via bios. (Or in the case of video cards -- the firmware)
    beezle23 wrote: »
    You don't want to overclock with stock cooling.

I'm a big fan of Zalman coolers, but they don't work in some cases because they're very large.

I'm also not keen on overclocking via software, I prefer to do it via bios. (Or in the case of video cards -- the firmware)

You?re probably right, but since I?m not a pro when it comes to overlocking in bios, I?ve just found it easier to use software. Also I just noticed that I?m a career officer and you?re a commander. What is the difference between a career officer and yourself?
    edited July 2012
    mrwuffaus wrote: »
    You?re probably right, but since I?m not a pro when it comes to overlocking in bios, I?ve just found it easier to use software. Also I just noticed that I?m a career officer and you?re a commander. What is the difference between a career officer and yourself?

Post count.
    beezle23 wrote: »
    Post count.

Career officer is also the Lifetime account holders. The rest of us have ranks compared to our post counts.
  • andyp85pneandyp85pne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Has anyone used MSI NVIDIA GT 620 Low Profile Compatible Graphics Card - 2GB.

I maybe getting one tomorrow and would like to know what it's like!

Thanks all

AndyP85

"The Needs Of The Many Out Way The Needs Of The Few!"
    edited July 2012
    Career officer is also the Lifetime account holders. The rest of us have ranks compared to our post counts.

Maybe I should actually read what I'm responding to. :D

Naw, that would take all the fun out.
    Changed my mind to the MSI NVIDIA GT 630 Graphics Card - 4GB it has 128 bit rate.

Will I be able to have high settings?

• sinsofanempiresinsofanempire Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    andyp85pne wrote: »
    Changed my mind to the MSI NVIDIA GT 630 Graphics Card - 4GB it has 128 bit rate.

Will I be able to have high settings?
    It doesn't cover the recommended requirements of any new games:
    http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/NVIDIA+GeForce+GT+630/games

I had a GT440 2GB and was running it on near max, but with shadows off.
    I now have a GTX560Ti 2GB, and can run the game at max everything.

I just ran a comparison, and it does slightly worse than a GT440, so you're not going to be able to run STO on max with that.

President of Alpha Solaris, a Federation fleet.

I used to be Sinsofasolarempire
  • andyp85pneandyp85pne Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I went for the 2GB MSI HD6670 AMD Graphics card and is working beautifully with setting on max! Massive change from the **** heap I had before! :D

• umrathamaumrathama Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I am running an ASUS Nvidia 9800 GTX+ DK GPU at full everything no problems, this card is 4 years old, and some of you are having problems with newer cards with more memory and more stream processors. Sounds to me like your MOBO's are not up to the task.

FYI I will be upgrading to some of the newer cards perhaps an AMD ASUS Radion 6700 series.
  • areikou#8990 areikou Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I have a dell laptop E6400 with an NVidia NVS 160M Quadro, 256mb video card with 8 streams. I can run everything maxed except for shadows without any noticeable frame rate loss. Just throwing that out there.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    [Unrepentant] Lapo@overlapo: the problem with space STF
    is that you can't properly teabag your defeated opponent

Unrepentant: Home of the Rainbow Warrior and the Rainbow Brigade.
  • jayfresh11jayfresh11 Member Posts: 133 Arc User
    edited August 2012
    I recently bought a new desktop, w/ nvidia 640 oem. It's not known to be a high end gpu, but I have all the settings maxed out. I either play it on 1080p in 2d or 720p in 3d. It handles star trek online pretty well, but I have no idea about other games.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]