test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

Kickstarter = poker in STO?

2»

Comments

• akrilonakrilon Member Posts: 137 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I've mentioned this in previous poker threads, but I'd definitely support the addition of any sort of social game for two or more players, so that I could play a mini-game with others on my ship or in the Fleet Starbase, while waiting for PvE/PvP queues to start up!

It doesn't have to be Poker; Tri-Dimensional Chess or anything with more of a social aspect and fun component than the repeat-clicking that is Dabo, would be awesome :)
    faddc0e2956f1903cb9ac9197fb10cd8_large.png
  • synthscanner#2101 synthscanner Member Posts: 470 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I do very much like a game of Poker both in real life and on facebook so I'm sure I would like it even more if I could play Poker with my fleet mates aboard my ship or fleet starbase!

Personally I totally support the idea, always have done but I'm unemployed and so I can not contribute much at all to anything that I approve of unfortunately. I can just about afford to pick up 1000 CP every three months...

I remember Heretic stating that he would come in on the weekends sometimes and get a couple of fixes or updates out of the way, even if he wasn't being paid for it and although the idea of a community fund towards a specific programmer is interesting, I think that we just need to convince them to prioritise Poker higher up the schedule so that a programmer is asked to do it and be paid for doing his/her work.
  • brodie0854brodie0854 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd donate money to this!
    The argument some people are using that they would rather the devs spend time fixing bugs rather than making a poker mini-game is ridiculous.
    Q and A (Bug Squashing) and Content Development are two separate departments both with their own budgets, what one team does would have no baring on the work of the other.

Whilst im here let me also state that i would like to see a higher stakes Dabo for Dilithium!
  • jexsamxjexsamx Member Posts: 2,803 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I'd throw $10 into it.
  • doubleohninedoubleohnine Member Posts: 818 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Its not killing me that there isnt poker. It just saddens me Dan would rather resort to lockboxes instead of some honest moneymakers like poker tables and rooms, dogs and cats as pets, winter clothing, summer clothing, etc. If they insist on keeping lockboxes, whatever, they dont tempt me anyways. But some dev time can and should be devoted to some honest moneymakers too that delight the community just for the novelty of it. As Jimmy Fallon says, "who doesnt like cash?" The money Dan leaves on the table by refusing to devote dev time to simple things that could reap ridiculous profit if fairly priced baffles me.
    STO: @AGNT009 Since Dec 2010
    Capt. Will Conquest of the U.S.S. Crusader
  • mikewendellmikewendell Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    brodie0854 wrote: »
    The argument some people are using that they would rather the devs spend time fixing bugs rather than making a poker mini-game is ridiculous.
    Q and A (Bug Squashing) and Content Development are two separate departments both with their own budgets, what one team does would have no baring on the work of the other.

No need to be rude. You could have discussed that without calling other players ridiculous.

My understanding of how things are structured is that the dev team is working on both new projects as well as bug fixing and that there isn't a separation between the two.

The major occurrence when things are split out is when it is in fact a different department. Like art.
  • brodie0854brodie0854 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    No need to be rude. You could have discussed that without calling other players ridiculous.

My understanding of how things are structured is that the dev team is working on both new projects as well as bug fixing and that there isn't a separation between the two.

The major occurrence when things are split out is when it is in fact a different department. Like art.

No need to be putting words in others mouths now is there.
    I called the argument ridiculous not the players who made it.
  • fluffytargcreamfluffytargcream Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I would rather some other "trek" game be brought in than Poker.
    I can play poker anywhere, so...
    What about Tri-Chess?
  • jkstocbrjkstocbr Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Yeah well I think its a big cop out.

Like I posted in the Ask Cryptic thread ...

"If it keeps being raised at every single AskCryptic, and regularly discussed by the community in the forums, WHY is it such a low priority that it needs Spare Time to develop it? What the Community wants and what Cryptic thinks we want are sometimes not the same"
  • robingbrownrobingbrown Member Posts: 11 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    dunespice wrote: »
    True, I'm worried that the EP is devoting entire seasons to adding new gameplay systems

This has been one of the major problems with STO since Cryptic acquired the licence. Th EP is so focused on building bigger and better 'systems' that he's stupdily overlooked any other possibilities. When he left to make a mess of Zynga I was so pleased, and when he came back I was so disappointed.

I wish he'd just leave for another company, he's made a mess of this one and now it's time for him to move on, again.
    I used to have an Orion slave girl, then PWE 'perfected' her, now all I have is this lousy signature
  • aldo1rainealdo1raine Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    Aldo's guide to poker in STO

1. Go to someones lounge

2. Sit at the table

3. Put STO in a window and have it take up half the screen, or use 2 monitors

4. Open and play one of the eleventy billion online poker games with each other!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Nerf Klinks, Buff Rommies
  • kingdoxykingdoxy Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    If they bring poker to the game I hope they do it so the "house" takes a rake of each pot of the EC/GPL so that the game takes money out of the economy. So even folks who don't play the game will end up benefiting from the game.

It would be awesome if Cryptic let us put bounties on features we wanted. And asked us to donate a few bucks or some CP.
  • skurfskurf Member Posts: 1,071 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    I do like the idea of poker for latinum/EC. Although, I don't really like the idea of paying a developer extra to do his job. If enough people want it in the game, shouldn't the devs make it during their regular business hours and be paid by the owners of the company? They want people to play their game, but many times I get bored and log off, especially if I've just filled up my doff assignments. This would give players something to do between doff assignments or when they get tired of pew-pewing.

It just seems to me poker should be higher on the priority list than the chance of a royal flush.
  • flash525flash525 Member Posts: 5,441 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    For what it's worth, I'm one of the many who would favour Poker as a game within STO. We can easily use Dilithium (or Energy Credits) to bet with; that or Latinium, but Latinium already has a betting role.

But yeah, would be a welcome addition would Poker. Maybe, somewhere down the line we could get other games too. Chess would be right up there, maybe even Monopoly? ;)
    attachment.php?attachmentid=42556&d=1518094222
  • th3gr4ndnagu5th3gr4ndnagu5 Member Posts: 6 Arc User
    edited July 2012
    So...what programmer is willing to do this in their off time for some extra cash? :D

The.Grand.Nagus
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]