test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

WWJKD (What Would James Kirk Do)?

2»

Comments

• drunkenguyverdrunkenguyver Member Posts: 46 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    TOS was alright for its time. The acting was the problem with him.

LOL, i must admit, there are some very cringe worthy moments . . the swagger, the slow paused speech, and of course the silly poses and gestures. I can do nothing but agree with you there. :smile:

Although i will say . . for me, that was half the fun . . getting into the story . . and perhaps have a chuckle at some hammy acting along the way :biggrin: . . Kirk for me is one of my favorite characters, Brave, risk taking, compationate, clever . . honest and moral. And he'd do his best for his friends and family . . what more could you want. Was actually My roll model as a kid . . minus the gestures of course :-) . . although i did have a fight in a sand pit aged 7 and my shirt ripped :-)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I would trust Kirk to back me in a fight , mind my kids (if i had any) or borrow the car

I would NOT trust him with my lady friends or lend him money
    Live long and Prosper
  • empireofsteveempireofsteve Member Posts: 665 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    LOL, i must admit, there are some very cringe worthy moments . . the swagger, the slow paused speech, and of course the silly poses and gestures. I can do nothing but agree with you there. :smile:

Although i will say . . for me, that was half the fun . . getting into the story . . and perhaps have a chuckle at some hammy acting along the way :biggrin: . . Kirk for me is one of my favorite characters, Brave, risk taking, compationate, clever . . honest and moral. And he'd do his best for his friends and family . . what more could you want. Was actually My roll model as a kid . . minus the gestures of course :-) . . although i did have a fight in a sand pit aged 7 and my shirt ripped :-)

Kirk was a Gary Stu. Nothing more and it annoys me.
    NERF CANNONS - THEY NEED A 50% NERF
    CRUISERS NEED A 206% HULL BUFF
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Kirk was a joke. Bad actor and worse character.

Kirk was a bit of a joke though... once you realize the character was meant to be played that way, you realize Shatner deserves more credit.

In some ways it is like comparing Adam West with Christian Bale. You need to take the script and direction into account when comparing them as actors.
    edited June 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Kirk was a bit of a joke though... once you realize the character was meant to be played that way, you realize Shatner deserves more credit.

In some ways it is like comparing Adam West with Christian Bale. You need to take the script and direction into account when comparing them as actors.

I know and that only makes the character worse. The actor come off as an arrogant a**.
    edited June 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    I would trust Kirk to back me in a fight , mind my kids (if i had any) or borrow the car

I would NOT trust him with my lady friends or lend him money

Lol, that line is just classic, and i agree . . ha ha ha :biggrin:

Okey dokey Steve, i respect your opinion . . even if Kirk feels like my second Dad . . lol. :cool:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2012
    Lol, that line is just classic, and i agree . . ha ha ha :biggrin:

Okey dokey Steve, i respect your opinion . . even if Kirk feels like my second Dad . . lol. :cool:

Hey just prove to me he was not a Gary Stu :)
  • tharkantharkan Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I haven't played for too long, so this might be in the game and I don't know about it, or someone else suggested it already, so I apologize if so, but...
    WE NEED A "KHAN! KHAN!" EMOTE.
  • kimmerakimmera Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited June 2012

Isn't pretty much every 'great hero?' Besides, Kirk had weaknesses he had to overcome. This made up key parts of quite a few episodes. The fact that he'd overcome his weaknesses didn't make him Gary Stu.. it made him functional.

I don't understand the need some have to have heroes all tragic terminally flawed characters.

The point of tragic heroes is usually not to suggest everything ends badly, but to point out flaws that we must avoid giving in to and must find ways to overcome. Tragic endings happen all the time in real life, but the reality is that most still die 'normal' deaths, neither heroic nor tragic, and to the extent heroes die tragic deaths, the tragedy is much more often in our tendency to abandon them once they are no longer useful to us, or worse, to actively pursue and investigate them to try to prove them less heroic in the name of sensationalism, to insist as a society that they meet some sort of tragic end.
    edited June 2012
    kimmera wrote: »
    Isn't pretty much every 'great hero?'

Was gonna say just that . . i think even more so during the 60's . . the perfect man, the perfect woman, and perfect family, where the father comes home after the day at the office "Honey i'm home" with a nice apple pie on the window sill. (At least on t.v shows anyway)

A few other Sci heros had the same basic outline .. like John Robinson (Lost in space), Steve Burton (land of the giants) . . Superman even ?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • sollvaxsollvax Member Posts: 4 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    a True hero stands the line and dies to defend others
    the greatest actual Hero in Star Trek is probably Tasha Yar
    Live long and Prosper
    edited June 2012
    sollvax wrote: »
    a True hero stands the line and dies to defend others
    the greatest actual Hero in Star Trek is probably Tasha Yar

I prefer someone who can act and uses common sense.
  • scififan78scififan78 Member Posts: 1,383 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    I know and that only makes the character worse. The actor come off as an arrogant a**.

LOL thats because Kirk WAS an arrogant a**. He was also loyal beyond reproach. Compare the character between TOS and the Movies. It was nearly as bad in the movies.
  • soriedemsoriedem Member Posts: 150 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    it seems my post has gotten a bit off topic. I would like to bring us back on track to say, that I'm still interested in adding more emotes in game. And TOS, kirk in particularly offered a variety of options that could really make the game better, and not to mention foundry missions. More tos era emotes please!