test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Spectator mode!

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited September 2012 in PvP Gameplay
Just an idea for pvp. Recently my fleet has been having pvp matches with each other and allowing other members of the fleet to tag along and watch. This has let some of the newer members see how our builds work, what we use, tactics, skills, ect ect.
It got me thinking, why not allow a spectator mode for pvp matches? List the matches going on at a given time, and allow people to join as a spectator. maybe limit the amount to ten or so. They would be thrown into the game in a shuttle or something, that cannot be targeted by those actually participating in the match. following that, you could give the option to mute their chat if they get to feisty for ya, or keep it on if they decide to play the part of cheerleaders.
This would allow those players that don't pvp and are curious about it to observe what its like in actual matches, to see what they would be getting themselves into if they actually queued up.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2012
    Yes! This is an excellent idea! I have seen this in action in Lineage II (shudder) years ago for Castle Siege. Basically a clan holding a town had to defend it during a siege event against another clan to retain ownership. Other players could watch the event as a spectator from an aerial camera view (by interacting with a portal device).

Spectator mode for PVP and other events would be really interesting.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Use /spectatornext and be within 20km from the target ship, preferably in a ship that can cloak.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Zorena wrote:
    Use /spectatornext and be within 20km from the target ship, preferably in a ship that can cloak.

Aye, doesn't have to be a shuttle, but maybe a 3rd person view of whoever you happen to be spectating. I likes that :D
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I really like the idea, although perhaps it would be best if the spectators were invisible, i only say this because the last thing you’d want in battle are people in shuttles surrounding your ship and flying in the way, maybe a little distracting ?

Just my thought though, but it would be cool to watch some epic battles . . :) . . especially if there are grudge matches going on :cool:.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Yes, a Spectator mode would be awesome, especially when the PVP matches are Tiered( Season 6? ) in the future so that players newer to PVP can watch higher tiers fight and learn.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    I love spectator mode in TF2, but it's could be abused much like it is in other spectator games. I remember having this super amazing string of luck as a spy, where I backstabbed three people within 5 seconds (medic, heavy and a dumb scout who came to investigate), and kept on going on and on. So one of the guys on the other team decided to not participate next time he would have spawned and proceeded to call my position out until I ragequit the server due to being both killed repeatedly and then spawncamped.

I'm just worried the same thing might happen with cloaked ships or stealthed players on the ground. Hell, I know it WILL happen, which will diminish from the already double edged advantage that cloaking gives.
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Spectator mode would have to be somehow regulated to being invited to into the match as a spectator where your character isnt in the instance but at the same time your allowed to view the map and the action. Reason being invited would give us control over whos trusted and whos not as to keep any potential spys off the match. I dont want spectators telling the opposition where my cloaked ship is
  • Options
    truecyberaxetruecyberaxe Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    My Fleet also do pvp and like to observe, there should be an option for this.

The option should work like this i think...

The Challenge window should have an option for no Spectators, Invite Only or Freely Join.

There should also be an option of weather or not Spectators are allowed to talk in the local channel or perhaps add a special Spectators Channel.

To the battlers, the spectators should not exist, not able to see them what soever and doesn't slow down their battle potentially since they don't need to download the positional data for spectators.

From the spectators point of view, they are in their own ship as normal, but all their weapons and abilities are disabled and their ship is cloaked, all they can do is fly around and target (since a lot of people like to select a target to see shield status and such) or spectators get to see the status indicators of all ships in the battle.
  • Options
    robeasomrobeasom Member Posts: 1,911 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    A third person view would be great. I remember playing PVP in Elite Force that when you died or joined as a spectator you could follow certain other players so this will be a good idea
    NO TO ARC
    Vice Admiral Volmack ISS Thundermole
    Brigadier General Jokag IKS Gorkan
    Centurion Kares RRW Tomalak
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    aquitaine985aquitaine985 Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    I remember this thread! Pretty sure the OP was Echo, hard to remember.

It would be nice to have the option though,
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    @Aquitaine985
    Lag Industries STO PvP Fleet - Executive
    A Sad Panda of Industrial calibre.
    2010: This is Cryptic PvP. Please hold the line, your call is very important to us...
  • Options
    khanrebornkhanreborn Member Posts: 24 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    why couldn't we use sensor probes or telescopes to see what is happening from afar? with

the sensor probes we could control them like ships. and both of these ideas are canon.
    chaq yuvtlhe' nIt 'Iw 'etlh Ha' yay je
  • Options
    bluegeekbluegeek Member Posts: 0 Arc User
    edited September 2012
    This thread is an ancient artifact (after no posts for 30 days or more) and it must now be put in the thread museum where it can be forgotten by everyone except thread archaeologists.

Please remember to check the dates of threads; and if you find an old thread which violates the [URL=" http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/announcement.php?&a=51"]PWE Community Rules and Policies[/URL] just report it and avoid posting in it.

Note that you're more than welcome to start a new thread on the topic (unless there is an existing thread on the topic that has received a post within the last 30 days, in which case you can just continue to post in that thread)! :)

Live Long and Prosper,
    Bluegeek
    My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. You can file a "forums and website" support ticket here
    Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek
This discussion has been closed.