Install Arc
Options

Junior Officer Appreciation Weekend

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    jkstocbr wrote:
    Whenever there is a scenario that there is a duplicate unique reward, why not just reward that player with 1440 Dilithium? Problem solved.

Hmm... not bad.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    ...and the whining commences.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    :eek: The attitudes of entitlement in this thread stuns me, its a REPEAT event FFS!

You know like the Episode re-runs...:rolleyes:

If you feel the need to have a whine, complain about one of the million or so bugs in the game, the craptastic lock box lottery or the fact there has been no added end game content since day one (splitting 3 raids into 6 just don't count)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm kinda confused on when this event was run before.. Because the Exocomp DOFF that I have was the account wide unlock one I got from Beta testing F2P.. So.. ... yeah..? :confused:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Its very, very simple: just have a *different* free Doff each time. No, not *more* free Doffs each time. Just a *different* one than previously offered. That way every single person, whether they are a brand new player or a vet who was around last time, can get whatever the free Doff is for *that* event. Everyone wins.

So, let me get this straight.

So you and everyone who has already participated in this event the first time round should be entitled to a new doff for each and every REPEAT event cryptic runs...

But new or existing players who missed it the first time around are not entitled to the doffs you already have obtained?

wow...just wow Nagus.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I know some are disappointed about not being able to get the second exocomp, but bonus CXP not worth it? Really? Really?!?

Well anyway, I'm looking forward to it. I don't have that Doff and I also am only rank 2 on my diplomacy. This is helping me out.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Perfect World Entertainment Community Rules and Policies . ~Q
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'd like to say how happy I am for this -- I've been extensively playing a character I started DURING the last Junior Officer Weekend, and he missed out on the Doff by minutes. I've been kicking myself ever since.

Any chance for a Featured Episode Replay sometime in the next month or two? ^_^
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    10 AM PDT is when in CET?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    This is back by popular demand :) We have a lot of new players that did not had the opportunity to get one when we had the last event in December, and players who missed it for other reasons :)
    I missed this event last December. I am happy to see this again. This weekend my STO gameplay sees definitely a lot of doffing. The CXP boost is especially great for my Fed & Kling alts, which both still need to max out their diplomacy / marauder tier. :)

Beside it's obvious purpose as a marketing event (mainly for the Duty Officer System), it looks like a rerun event like the FE's to me. A chance for all to get (the same) special rewards.

The way you feel & think about it depends on your personality i guess. With an "loyal customer + always give us new unique exclusive rewards" attitude it would be dissatisfying. With an "it's great to have a second chance on certain things + it fuels peoples enjoyment for the game" attitude it would be more satisfying (presumed you can feel happy for others).

And like already stated, there are far more important things Cryptic screwed up, which are truly rant-worthy. This event is imo not one of those circumstances.
    Look at the dates of people who joined the forums and what they are saying. The people who joined in the early years (2008/2009) hate this and the new people who joined recently (2011/2012) love it. Flip a coin for the 2010 people.
    I am from 2009 and i like it. But thx for your valid analysis. :p
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Eh, I was kinda hyping myself up for something more spectacular. Like a new wave of missions or maybe a new type of DOFF pack.

Cant get another exocomp, and the bonus CXP is only really going to get me an extra 2k or so Recruitment XP over the coarse of the weekend, at most. (Its my only non-t4 CXP, 75/100k)

But thanks anyways :(
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Obsidius wrote: »
    Becuase you just end up making a slippery slope. Either some players will never get all of the rewards, or other players will already have them.

Cryptic could do a lot of stuff with the development cycle, like make a new DOff, but they probably wanted to do something that didn't involve a lot of work so they can keep Season 6 on schedule. Just speculation, but there's probably some truth there.
    Agreed. And think of the poor folks maintaining the spreadsheet and wiki (like me). Every new string of metadata in the game has opportunity cost. Can't they stop doing new stuff and let us catch up? ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So, when you disagree with what someone says you make derogatory comments about their personal lives?

Not taking the bait but the whine is very unbecoming.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Saxon-73 wrote:

So you and everyone who has already participated in this event the first time round should be entitled to a new doff for each and every REPEAT event cryptic runs...

But new or existing players who missed it the first time around are not entitled to the doffs you already have obtained?

wow...just wow Nagus.

You took the words out of my mouth! :)
    Want something to REALLY argue and fuss about? Go read what Cryptic pulled with the Gold Ferengi Lock Boxes and the FAQ.

So true... makes the gold boxes completely worthless.

P.S. Yes, I am a new player, and while I agree that the guys who got the first one should get a... 'consolation prize', I do not agree with the above quoted idea TGN posted.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Sorry to hear that the XP bonus does not interest you :( It is really a great opportunity to help you reach those higher commendation tiers a bit quicker.

This is back by popular demand :) We have a lot of new players that did not had the opportunity to get one when we had the last event in December, and players who missed it for other reasons :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

I'M interested in a CXP bonus. I've got another 5K to go for T-4 Diplomacy on one of my alts.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Saxon-73 wrote:

wow...just wow Nagus.

Entitled? No. This game is F2P, so no one is "entitled" to anything they did not pay for. However just because you are not "entitled" to something does not mean you cannot *request* it be done differently. So I am requesting that people not be *excluded* from one of the main parts of the event simply for having played it before. And the number of people who are excluded is only going to grow each time they do this if they keep offering the exact same Doffs. Next time there will be even more people excluded, and even more people the time after that.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    And the number of people who are excluded is only going to grow each time they do this if they keep offering the exact same Doffs. Next time there will be even more people excluded, and even more people the time after that.

I'll have to agree here. There are a couple of different approaches I can think of.

1. Add new special DOFFs (as scheduling permits) and let players choose which one they want from a list of selections.

2. Add new special DOFFs for each new appeciation event and move the old ones to Lt. Ferra's DO store.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I may be mistaken, but in the first run of this event I thought doff related C-Store items were on sale as well? I will have to double check.

Don't get me wrong I will enjoy the CXP boost but sadly, and as much as it pains me, I have to partially agree with Nagus here. However, I don't think we need "special" doffs each time and something much simpler could be done. Perhaps add in a free 5-pack or C-Store pack for those who have done the event before? It is not a big "consolation prize" but it is something that would not require additional implementation of "new doffs" for future runs of the event.

As for most MMOs that run these type of events, typically the more successful ones have things added each time the event runs for the exact reason people are complaining. The things do not have to be big or in great number, but then over time the event ends up have alot of diversity in rewards. I think it would be a good idea for Cryptic to start down this road and take advantage of that logic. I am not going to get bent out of shape about, I just think it would be wise development at this point.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    I'll have to agree here. There are a couple of different approaches I can think of.

1. Add new special DOFFs (as scheduling permits) and let players choose which one they want from a list of selections.

2. Add new special DOFFs for each new appeciation event and move the old ones to Lt. Ferra's DO store.

If its too much work or them to make new DOFFs, why not just grant a random No Trade (Locked) Purple DOFF?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Isror wrote: »
    If its too much work or them to make new DOFFs, why not just grant a random No Trade (Locked) Purple DOFF?

Yeah, not real sure what the turnaround time is on hand-edited DOFF's with unique portraits...

Any kind of alternate option would be good.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    bluegeek wrote: »
    Yeah, not real sure what the turnaround time is on hand-edited DOFF's with unique portraits...

Any kind of alternate option would be good.

I'd HOPE...lol that they would be smart enough to have built a gui that just has all of the blank fields and options available that they could just fill in the blanks...Then again, gaming coders are weird and for some god awful reason like to do things the hard way...Look at Star Wars Galaxies...EVERY new item in game that had a function was coded in notepad...No gui, no interface to check functions...lol
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Bummer my Main already has an Exocomp.....WAIT who cares, this is a great opportunity for me to get Exocomps/Remans on all the other 12 characters I have.
    Holy TRIBBLE! :eek: I suppose so then!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Holy TRIBBLE, some of you people. How the hell do you figure you're getting "punished?!"

-J
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Entitled? No. This game is F2P, so no one is "entitled" to anything they did not pay for. However just because you are not "entitled" to something does not mean you cannot *request* it be done differently. So I am requesting that people not be *excluded* from one of the main parts of the event simply for having played it before. And the number of people who are excluded is only going to grow each time they do this if they keep offering the exact same Doffs. Next time there will be even more people excluded, and even more people the time after that.
    Yes, excluded out of CXP and chances to get better DOffs from packs too...

Oh wait...

Silly nagus, looking gift grub snuff in the tin. But for him, it's all about the 10th Rule of Acquisition: Greed is eternal. However, I prefer the 22nd Rule of Acquisition: a wise man can hear profit in the wind. It's going to be time to get more DXP for transwarping to more star clusters for more rare DOffs.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Holy TRIBBLE, some of you people. How the hell do you figure you're getting "punished?!"

-J

Never used that term.
    Yes, excluded out of CXP too...

Didnt say that. I said:

"So I am requesting that people not be *excluded* from one of the main parts of the event simply for having played it before."

Reading is key :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    "So I am requesting that people not be *excluded* from one of the main parts of the event simply for having played it before."
    I apologize nagus. I think I meant to say that the one rare DOff is only one part of the entire event, and those that already have him will still be able to benefit greatly by everything else. Heck, having a rare DOff can only help one get critical successes on missions, adding even more CXP on top of the bonus CXP during the event. I truly, truly hope this helps clarify my position on this extremely important matter.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I apologize nagus. I think I meant to say that the one rare DOff is only one part of the entire event, and those that already have him will still be able to benefit greatly by everything else.

I never denied that the bonus xp was available to everyone. However per the event page there are 3 parts to this event:
    • Bonus xp
    • Free Doff
    • Pack bonus

And people who have played this event before are being excluded from 1/3 of the parts of the event. I am simply requesting that not happen in the future.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I never denied that the bonus xp was available to everyone. However per the event page there are 3 parts to this event:
    • Bonus xp
    • Free Doff
    • Pack bonus

And people who have played this event before are being excluded from 1/3 of the parts of the event. I am simply requesting that not happen in the future.

But you're not really being excluded if you've done it before and already have the unique reward.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Never used that term.

I wasn't talking to you. :P

I was, however, disappointed with your added disparagement to the issue. That was something in my opinion that is not proportionately justified.

-J
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I am simply requesting that not happen in the future.
    Fair enough.