What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Re: Utopia Planitia

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2012
    Your wish is going to be answered, kinda. More info next week :)

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=

Cant wait for the infos.

I hope the UPS map can stay. It's an important and iconic place in Star Trek, very much like Starfleet Academy.

In terms of something useful to do: It would be great to get our new ships there. That should be the main and obvious purpose. Further more (like already proposed) unique Duty Officer Assignments. Maybe a starship test area (could occur on a Holodeck), and even a new daily mini game which has something to do with starship development. Utopia Planitia could really be a great new area. :cool:
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Picard83 wrote: »
    Cant wait for the infos.

I hope the UPS map can stay. It's an important and iconic place in Star Trek, very much like Starfleet Academy.

In terms of something useful to do: It would be great to get our new ships there. That should be the main and obvious purpose. Further more (like already proposed) unique Duty Officer Assignments. Maybe a starship test area (could occur on a Holodeck), and even a new daily mini game which has something to do with starship development. Utopia Planitia could really be a great new area. :cool:

How about adding ship component crafting to the above list?

Take all the ship items (engines, consoles, etc) out of Memory Alpha and put them at the Mars shipyards for crafting. It would certainly mean UPS would see a lot of use. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Tumerboy wrote: »
    II will repeat, again, that just because this map will not be accessible immediately after the event, does not mean that it is wasted, or that it will not be reused at a later time.

I'd be fine with making it a persistent social map, but that's all out of my hands.

I will say, that my personal aversion to such maps, comes from Champions, where several times, I spent a good deal of extra effort, often my own time, to put in some bonus "social" map, that players were clamoring for, only to find after release that the maps were ALWAYS empty. There was never anyone there. I'm not saying that we shouldn't offer more social areas with no direct purpose, I'm just a little gun shy based off my previous experiences with such maps.

While it can be understood your position, then make it a purpose location that has some substance and depth and reason to the map. I know that you comment was towards myself for saying it is a waste and ill say that i find it pointless and a waste of assets for only being available now instead of having a real purpose after its release.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    As mentioned, this will be available on April 5. I think it'll just be an option when you're near Sol in System Space, but I'm not sure.

You definitely can't reach it via impulse from Earth. As cool as that would be, there's no way to set up a map like that with the scales we're working in.

I do think it would be cool if you had to visit UPS to pick up a new ship, but I'm sure a lot of people would hate having to do extra map loads, and there would be forum rage over it.

Maybe just have another shipyard at UPS. I'd be fine if it were just moved from ESD to UPS, but with one at each there should be no rage.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Acidrain wrote: »
    While it can be understood your position, then make it a purpose location that has some substance and depth and reason to the map. I know that you comment was towards myself for saying it is a waste and ill say that i find it pointless and a waste of assets for only being available now instead of having a real purpose after its release.

If nothing else ... just give it the same function as spacedock at ESD with a link to go to it straight from sector space at Sol System.

Who cares if it is a copy? ... I'd go there ... and still use ESD at times as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    fuzun wrote: »
    No it's just not that simple. Tumerboy is right. I've seen new areas down by player clamoring. After the initial newness and cool factor wears off. Those areas are (virtually) deserted. And I'm not talking fairly small indoor areas either. Making things like Utopia Plantia beyond their intended use is always a TRIBBLE shoot. Honestly who would really use a persistent UP after visiting it to look around w/o anything more to do there? New players sight seeing and some role players would probably be it.

Even zone which the devs have spent a great deal of effort on as alternate social areas with all of the amenities of a mail social areas can fall flat. I point to the Captain's Table in STO and the Club Carpathia VIP Lounge in CO. I do have access to them on both game. In CO, I use the Lounge occasional for for exclusive services and better consumables I can get easily. And The Captain's Table every once in a while when I think of it.. or when having a hard time trying to zone into ESD.

The reason I forgo the more exclusive areas is because they are exclusive. There are many (if any) player on the zone when I frequency them. Even as crass and annoying some players can be the major social zones of the game can be, I prefer to use those zones because everyone else uses them. I like to see the unique looks that player come up with. All of the player's avatars add ambiance that NPC's can't match.

I'd go to the Captains Table more often..., if it was more readily accessible..

It's a PITA to have to fly to and zone into Sol; then fly to the enigma; then zone again into the map.

If They would just make it like it's actually been described, as in any doorway (which we could walk up to and click on a special button available to LTS & 400 day Vets, that would take us directly to that map) that shows a Captains Table Symbol .

Obviously, this would require some (a lot??) of coding, but it would certainly pay-off in the long run, as more folks (who meet the criteria) would be likely to use such a feature.

They just took the time and effort to code in a Special Dilithium Vendor for 800 day vets, so it's not beyond the realm of reason.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    DaveyNY wrote: »
    I'd go to the Captains Table more often..., if it was more readily accessible..

It's a PITA to have to fly to and zone into Sol; then fly to the enigma; then zone again into the map.

If They would just make it like it's actually been described, as in any doorway (which we could walk up to and click on a special button available to LTS & 400 day Vets, that would take us directly to that map) that shows a Captains Table Symbol .

Obviously, this would require some (a lot??) of coding, but it would certainly pay-off in the long run, as more folks (who meet the criteria) would be likely to use such a feature.

They just took the time and effort to code in a Special Dilithium Vendor for 800 day vets, so it's not beyond the realm of reason.

It's great to see someone agree with me regarding the Captain's Table.

Also, what special vendor for 800 day vets?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Picard83 wrote: »
    Cant wait for the infos.

How about adding ship component crafting to the above list?

Take all the ship items (engines, consoles, etc) out of Memory Alpha and put them at the Mars shipyards for crafting. It would certainly mean UPS would see a lot of use. :)

I'm for both of these :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Keep fleet yards after event please!
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Your wish is going to be answered, kinda. More info next week :)

Season 5 Dev Blog #38 :cool:

Cheers,

Brandon =/\=
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    just for clarity does that mean the map itself is being added (ie we can then add our own stuff to it and play around with it) or do you mean its staying as a social zone for everybody and the contacts are being hooked up ie like starfleet acadamy or ESD?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Cool! Request approved!

The Utopia Planitia map WILL be available to Foundry users.

http://www.startrekonline.com/node/3045

Not optimal, but at least a way to visit.

-Forjo
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    just for clarity does that mean the map itself is being added (ie we can then add our own stuff to it and play around with it) or do you mean its staying as a social zone for everybody and the contacts are being hooked up ie like starfleet acadamy or ESD?

It will be a new map available in the Foundry, so you can place your own encounters there and use it in your missions.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    No it means they are cheaping out, and putting it in the foundry, instead of taking the time to keep it as a social zone like it SHOULD BE, and putting it in the foundry which i still find a joke. I play a game for real content, not user generated. Every time a company has put in user generated content its a joke, look at the architect in coh. Its cool for authors, but i think 90% suck...yet saying much better for cryptic/ anymore is going a lil far since they cant publish anything new unless its a series, or 1 kdf episode.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    jheinig wrote: »
    It will be a new map available in the Foundry, so you can place your own encounters there and use it in your missions.

awesome thanks.

i hope it makes its way as a proper social zone down the line. perhaps when some permanent content can be added to it.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    the UPS map should be in the Foundry for you do your own missions in it.
    JHeinig is working furiously to hook up the last bits we forgot about to make it foundry compatible. Should be in by tomorrow.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    No it means they are cheaping out, and putting it in the foundry, instead of taking the time to keep it as a social zone like it SHOULD BE, and putting it in the foundry which i still find a joke. I play a game for real content, not user generated. Every time a company has put in user generated content its a joke, look at the architect in coh. Its cool for authors, but i think 90% suck...yet saying much better for cryptic/ anymore is going a lil far since they cant publish anything new unless its a series, or 1 kdf episode.

and we the authors appreciate your belittling our efforts.

cheers
  • Options
    edited April 2012

You know what? I'm GLAD they are adding this to the foundry. Foundry authors NEED more resources. Would I have liked to see it as a social map? SURE. Is it a must? NO. We already have ESD and SFA.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Well I am sorry but most user content is simply not up to snuff and I not talking about STO specific but in general.

Yes, this is a way ... I would prefer it became a permanent fixture along changes to ESD interior map.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    f2pdrakron wrote:
    Well I am sorry but most user content is simply not up to snuff and I not talking about STO specific but in general.

Yes, this is a way ... I would prefer it became a permanent fixture along changes to ESD interior map.

Feel free to make your own UGC missions then...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    castmodean wrote: »
    and we the authors appreciate your belittling our efforts.

cheers

I don't step into the forums very often but I gotta reply to this ...honestly I think "dansedan510" is playing a different game to the one I'm playing.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    the UPS map should be in the Foundry for you do your own missions in it.
    JHeinig is working furiously to hook up the last bits we forgot about to make it foundry compatible. Should be in by tomorrow.

I asked Brandon on twitter this question but he doesn't know the answer, perhaps you or Jheinig might?

Will it just be the maps or will we also have access to the assets such as the station model itself?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    jheinig wrote: »

So after the event, it'll only be available for Foundery missions? That sucks. I was hoping it would be a new social zone as well.
  • Options
    edited April 2012

Its pretty nice of them to put it in the foundry...it will definitely help all of us in the KDF create missions just to blow the Unholy Tarnations outta it.

There may be some less than stellar missions in the foundry...but u know there are some less than stellar pepperonis on mah Pizza...some are totally oblong...but so help me I still love me some pizza.

complaining about them adding content is so odd to me,

I mean its like buying a 92 Opal, when you have a 89 Ford Taurus that you drive backward in a dirt-bike race, whilst drinking cherry-lime aide from Starbucks...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ok:
    UPS will be accessible thru the Event.
    UPS will go away after the event.
    UPS will be useable in the Foundry when event launches and forever after that.
    Is UPS being changed in the mission Second Star To The Right, Straight On Til Morning?
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    SeaCat wrote:
    I...it will definitely help all of us in the KDF create missions just to blow the Unholy Tarnations outta it.

Oh I'd SOooo play that :)
    ...and now I want pizza.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    Ok:
    UPS will be accessible thru the Event.
    UPS will go away after the event.
    UPS will be useable in the Foundry when event launches and forever after that.
    Is UPS being changed in the mission Second Star To The Right, Straight On Til Morning?

One would hope so however they have yet to change the first city map on the Klingon missions. I'm sure they will probably do a remaster of these to make them up to date at some point.
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    So after the event, it'll only be available for Foundery missions? That sucks. I was hoping it would be a new social zone as well.

Wow my thread is now merged with page 4 of this one haha.

But yeah..JUST foundry is a shame really...but at least we get to keep it...well I know where my stiped will be going. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    I'm very pleased it is being added to The Foundry. :)

I do wish it would stay as a social zone though... Yeh, yeh, I know we need things to do there, so let Heretic hook up some DOFF missions with an NPC contact there, or rig up a Daily there... pretty please... :o
  • Options
    edited April 2012

There are quuite a number of user generated Foundry missions that are indeed as good as (and on an even rarer occassion) better then some of the STO Dev developed missions (and that's not putting down tnhe STO Dev team at all - rather just acknowleding we have some very creative Foundry mission makers.

That said, if you don' lie the Foundry no one if forcing you to use it; but at that same time, it's not 'cheap' at all to add a new map to a tool many STO players (both those who play, and those who create Foundry content) find worthwile and enjoyable.
This discussion has been closed.