test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Want to know what developers are working on? Take a look!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2012
    Yreodred wrote:

Because of that:

But thanks for your most helpful criticism....
    Now (if you allow) i want to ask Tumerboy another question:

Is there any way to get some information about the previous artworks of this new artist, or can you say something about the style of ships he/she prefers?
    Something like a "I like those kind of ships" and "i don't like those kind of ships" -list from this artist would be cool.

Live long and prosper.

I agree. We have to hit this new ship dev hard from the get go. We managed to take the most passionate dev and make him hate his job and quit and with luck we can repeat this trend. We did it guys, we can do it again.

YES WE CAN
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Acidrain wrote: »
    Judgement will be waiting until we see otherwise, no offense but Adam bent over backwards and things have just got back on track and Adam is leaving. What is going on at Cryptic? Apparently much more than what we are being told.
    I really have no idea why everything has to be some kind of conspiracy or "the end iz neaar!!1!" talk. Maybe someone noticed his great skill and gobbled him up from Cryptic because he is so talented? Or maybe his time on STO took so much of his time, that he decided to quit and take a part-time job at McDonald's so he can see his dog more often. (Of course the thing with Bungie is just a cover up.) Oooor maybe he's retiring because he won the lottery. Anyway, I can only agree with cutedge:
    cutedge wrote: »
    I agree. We have to hit this new ship dev hard from the get go. We managed to take the most passionate dev and make him hate his job and quit and with luck we can repeat this trend. We did it guys, we can do it again.

YES WE CAN

He's gone, and even though I'd like to know what happened as well, they're most likely not going to tell us and we're gonna have to accept it. And that's the end of it, so plz let's get back to new thingies in the game.

... speaking of which, I haven't seen these new STF costume variants in this thread yet:
    Male Variants
    Female Variants
    posted by BranFlakes here
    Supposedly they're on Tribble already, haven't checked them out as I intend to wait until they're on Holodeck. I'm not exactly sure I understand the description of how you're going to unlock them either, but I'm sure I'll find out.

Here's to hoping we're going to get the nice Facility 4028 guard costume some time! Really want that on my Eng :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Acidrain wrote: »
    Judgement will be waiting until we see otherwise, no offense but Adam bent over backwards and things have just got back on track and Adam is leaving. What is going on at Cryptic? Apparently much more than what we are being told.

What? You're surpprised a person is leaving a Game Development company? Happens all the time. The turnover in game development is quitew high and I'm actually amazed how long some folks decide to stay with Cryptic Studios. If this were almost any otrher game company, we woulodn't know or intyeract with as many Devs as we do here; and a Dev leaving wouldn't even be mentioned.

Personally Capn Logan did a very good job with ships in STO and I hope he finds success in his future endeavours, whatever they turn out to be.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Remember how people were somewhat disappointed that all that came with the January free Odyssey Star Cruiser was a bridge that was a redress of the star cruiser bridges?

Well, it looks like it might've really been a placeholder. It's not the Perpetual Bridge people were clamoring for, but obviously it's been used as inspiration and the quality level was ramped up a notch too. It's not what I expected, but it's everything I hoped for.

See for yourself here, on CapnLogan's website: http://aw3d.weebly.com/environment---star-trek-online---odyssey-bridge.html

Me? I'm blown away. Finally LCARS gets a successor - something new. Finally we get a departure from same-old same-old Starfleet internal styling and get a push towards the future. We get a bridge that stylistically is a breath of fresh air, a decently sized viewscreen (brought closer to the Captain to compensate for it not being as gargantuan as the star cruiser redress bridge) and it looks appealing even with the 'large interior' camera requirements. Heck, looking at the pictures, we even seem to have ramps leading down - the bridge seems to have two levels!

I'm surprised at the lack of MSD... but honestly? I don't care. It just looks that amazing to me. If this is the last thing we get from CapnLogan... I think it's a great parting gift. Thanks!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ... oh.... my... God...

No.... words....
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Zoberraz wrote: »
    Remember how people were somewhat disappointed that all that came with the January free Odyssey Star Cruiser was a bridge that was a redress of the star cruiser bridges?

Well, it looks like it might've really been a placeholder. It's not the Perpetual Bridge people were clamoring for, but obviously it's been used as inspiration and the quality level was ramped up a notch too. It's not what I expected, but it's everything I hoped for.

See for yourself here, on CapnLogan's website: http://aw3d.weebly.com/environment---star-trek-online---odyssey-bridge.html

Me? I'm blown away. Finally LCARS gets a successor. Finally we get a departure from same-old same-old Starfleet internal styling. We get a bridge that stylistically is a breath of fresh air and it looks appealing even with the 'large interior' camera requirements. I'm surprised at the lack of MSD... but honestly? I don't care. It just looks that amazing to me.

If this is the last thing we get from CapnLogan... I think it's a great parting gift. Thanks!

My god that's amazing! I think that's an absolutely brilliant and unique looking bridge and I for one cannot wait to see it as a part of the game!

I second Zoberraz when he says thanks to CapnLogan. If that's Odyssey bridge is the last thing that we'll be getting from him then he is leaving on an all time high! Thank you, sir, for everything!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Pyrazol wrote: »
    I really have no idea why everything has to be some kind of conspiracy or "the end iz neaar!!1!" talk. Maybe someone noticed his great skill and gobbled him up from Cryptic because he is so talented? Or maybe his time on STO took so much of his time, that he decided to quit and take a part-time job at McDonald's so he can see his dog more often. (Of course the thing with Bungie is just a cover up.) Oooor maybe he's retiring because he won the lottery. Anyway, I can only agree with cutedge:

Really? You are going the route of a conspiracy? No one mentioned a conspiracy other than the mod in this thread, apparently you cant think for yourself or see what i stated so you have to take that to cover yourself from what the mod stated. I realize that people go to other studios all the time and perhaps it is in part of being burned out, anyone could become burned out, but this community is so ridiculous it wouldn't surprise me the least bit that it was also part of it. Much of the so called community have no idea the process in which goes into the development or building of any type of game even if you claim you do, iam stating this community doesn't have a clue.
    Armsman wrote: »
    What? You're surpprised a person is leaving a Game Development company? Happens all the time. The turnover in game development is quitew high and I'm actually amazed how long some folks decide to stay with Cryptic Studios. If this were almost any otrher game company, we woulodn't know or intyeract with as many Devs as we do here; and a Dev leaving wouldn't even be mentioned.

Personally Capn Logan did a very good job with ships in STO and I hope he finds success in his future endeavours, whatever they turn out to be.

Do you think iam that naive i don't know that? This community amazes me beyond no bounds.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Me? I'm blown away. Finally LCARS gets a successor - something new. Finally we get a departure from same-old same-old Starfleet internal styling and get a push towards the future. We get a bridge that stylistically is a breath of fresh air, a decently sized viewscreen (brought closer to the Captain to compensate for it not being as gargantuan as the star cruiser redress bridge) and it looks appealing even with the 'large interior' camera requirements. Heck, looking at the pictures, we even seem to have ramps leading down - the bridge seems to have two levels!

I'm surprised at the lack of MSD... but honestly? I don't care. It just looks that amazing to me. If this is the last thing we get from CapnLogan... I think it's a great parting gift. Thanks!

That is just awesome, Logans work was fraking awesome and it is rare to find or come across someone so talented.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    ...It's not the Perpetual Bridge people were clamoring for, but obviously it's been used as inspiration and the quality level was ramped up a notch too. It's not what I expected, but it's everything I hoped for.

... Holy Guacamole! ... That is AWESOME!!! I was on the fence about buying a +1 Odyssey, but if this comes with it... well, I may be on the buying side of the fence.

It looks amazing, it has windows and such that match with the exterior of the ship, and it also has a view screen, and a transporter pad... Man that just looks incredible. A little elongated, but... heck, why not?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    To be fair, the Odyssey bridge is shown on CapnLogan's website. That doesn't mean he was the only one working on it (so I don't want to ignore other Devs and the credit that might be due to them - for example, I could see his neighbor Thomas having worked on the new LCARS UI.). I know, though, that CapnLogan was an environment artist before doing ships, and he seemed behind making something like the Perpetual Bridge possible.

Since it's up on his site, that's like saying "I worked on this for Star Trek Online" so even though it's not been confirmed anywhere else, it's likely we'll see it. My guess is that it was saved for the last Featured Episode, which is likely to show off the Enterprise-F. Making a FE interior likely motivated budgeting the many man-hours required to make something like this. For all we know, it might even come with a similarily styled ship interior layout (probably not, but I find it doubtful that the FE would just have us see the bridge).

I'm hoping us noticing the Odyssey bridge on CapnLogan's website won't put him in trouble in case is 'was leaked early' somehow. All I can say is that it quite hypes me up for upcoming content. I can't wait to see it in-game, because I bet the 2d pictures don't do it justice.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    thats stunning , if all of the odysseys interiors are redesigned to that asthetic it'll be gorgeous inside the damn thing lol
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    well thats the most incredible and unique bridge ive ever seen. and holographic consoles, i think this is about the time they were introduced.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I think I see a transporter pad in the back there, which would suggest that, like shuttles, there is no more interior than that...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Aevn wrote:
    I think I see a transporter pad in the back there, which would suggest that, like shuttles, there is no more interior than that...

That's a flimsy assumption, seeing as how two shuttle interiors could easily fit onto that one bridge. And we clearly see other doors off to the sides. Easily hooked up to ready room and turbolifts. Maybe even, dare I say, an observation lounge?
    They could just be site-to-site transporters, because the ship itself is so huge. The Enterprise-J was stated as having them. Maybe that kind of technology arrangement cropped up because of the Odyssey class?
    It'd certainly help get crew members to the auxiliary craft a helluva lot faster than turbolifts.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Will the Odysse be able to buy in the C-store?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    pastrami8 wrote:
    Will the Odysse be able to buy in the C-store?

It's released in the C-Store next Friday, along with the BortasQ. Apparently it's coming in three different versions - Tactical, Engineering and Science, but it is not clear what the pricing will be, or how they will be packaged.

(Source: Branflakes, Priority One interview)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nevermind. Oops.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Update:
    • Odyssey Class Bridge 1, 2, 3
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Update:

Thanks, very nice indeed.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Update:

Wow, that's a bit different than the original Odyssey bridge (which was a half-converted Star Cruiser bridge)...

Much better looking, although still not a fan of the Non-Useful Body seats next to the captain or the transporter pads on the bridge (this one and the ones in the Intrepid bridge pack). That's got to be wide open security breach waiting to happen. But then I guess these might be the same starfleet corps of engineers that came up with Facility 4028's security plan...

EDIT: I really hope that this isn't their "fix" for why we can't have ship interior player spawn points be in the transporter room rather than having everyone spawning on the bridge...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Wow, that's a bit different than the original Odyssey bridge (which was a half-converted Star Cruiser bridge)...

Much better looking, although still not a fan of transporter pads on the bridge (this one and the ones in the Intrepid bridge pack). That's got to be wide open security breach waiting to happen. But then I guess these might be the same starfleet corps of engineers that came up with Facility 4028's security plan...

EDIT: I really hope that this isn't their "fix" for why we can't have ship interior player spawn points be in the transporter room rather than having everyone spawning on the bridge...

The "Timeship Relativity" had a temporal transporter on the bridge. DS9 OPS has a transporter pad.

Does it really matter if there is/isn't a transporter on the bridge? As soon as the shields go down, the enemy can beam in anywhere they damn well please.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Does it really matter if there is/isn't a transporter on the bridge? As soon as the shields go down, the enemy can beam in anywhere they damn well please.

I know the ENT-A at least had special reinforced shielding around the bridge, separate from and in addition to the regular shields to prevent exactly that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Koppenflak wrote:
    It's released in the C-Store next Friday, along with the BortasQ. Apparently it's coming in three different versions - Tactical, Engineering and Science, but it is not clear what the pricing will be, or how they will be packaged.

(Source: Branflakes, Priority One interview)

Thanks for the info! :)
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I know the ENT-A at least had special reinforced shielding around the bridge, separate from and in addition to the regular shields to prevent exactly that.

Where did you read/hear that? I've seen all the movies, quite a few times, and don't remember seeing anything like that.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    In Star Trek 2, when Kirk orders Yellow Alert when the Reliant is closing but going silent, forcefields are activated (Saavik is the one to mention them being deployed) and you see them deployed on certain ship diagrams.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Where did you read/hear that? I've seen all the movies, quite a few times, and don't remember seeing anything like that.
    In Star Trek 2, when Kirk orders Yellow Alert when the Reliant is closing but going silent, forcefields are activated (Saavik is the one to mention them being deployed) and you see them deployed on certain ship diagrams.

Also on the blueprints...
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Update:
    Thats what i call i cool looking bridge.

On the first picture is that a actual window behind the viewscreen? :cool:
    Holographic bridge stations are also very cool. :)
    I wish the ship itself would do justice to this bridge...
    (i hope thats the right phrase for this)

Live long and prosper.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yreodred wrote:

Thats what i call i cool looking bridge.

On the first picture is that a actual window behind the viewscreen? :cool:
    Holographic bridge stations are also very cool. :)
    I wish the ship itself would do justice to this bridge...
    (i hope thats the right phrase for this)

Live long and prosper.

Yes, that does look like a window behind the viewer. I never noticed that before. I did notice that the viewer wasn't a part of the bulkhead any more which is a nice design change but the window behind it got past me. :cool:
    Yes, nice to see them using holographic consoles now after they were introduced in the Countdown comic book. Hopefully future bridges will follow this trait. :)
    I think the final Odyssey-class ship when it gets released will do incredible justice to the new bridge. What I hope is that the new Odyssey bridge will be backed up by updates to the engine room, sickbay, and all the other various interiors you'd expect to find on a Starfleet ship.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Someone else mentioned this (I apologize for not qouting you or remembering your account name) but the are stairs leading down to a possible second deck on the bridge. You can see them towards the front on either side of the viewscreen.

Does this mean that there will be more to the bridge then what we are currently seeing? Maybe this implies we will be seeing more of the ship with this new style? maybe the whole ship?
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    forresto wrote: »
    Someone else mentioned this (I apologize for not qouting you or remembering your account name) but the are stairs leading down to a possible second deck on the bridge. You can see them towards the front on either side of the viewscreen.

Does this mean that there will be more to the bridge then what we are currently seeing? Maybe this implies we will be seeing more of the ship with this new style? maybe the whole ship?

looks like there's another forward window down there
    possibly an observation deck?
    It would be really cool if the observation lounge with the table and chairs was down there
This discussion has been closed.