test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Have Mystery Boxes replaced Prototype and Rare Borg Techs?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    All the missions seem to be dropping these pieces of @#$%!

Ran through three episodes missions this morning. At the end of it I had picked up only 1x rare rifle, and 14x cardamit-boxes.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It does seem like it's in addition, at least for me, but the drop rates for tech and the rest still seem to be really weird. Maybe when we get frustrated, spending 260 edc and getting no useful drops we lose sight of just how randomness works, but the effect of this is maddening. At times I've been willing to believe there was some other account specific variable going into the drops, just as they were claiming with the attack ships in the gift boxes. It probably is an inability to integrate the concept of randomness with individual experience, but it's common, and something most people share and Cryptic should be a little more careful about not pushing that button...

It also really doesn't help that we're being constantly hit in the face with this stuff. Giant floating boxes everywhere in space, constant bombardment of messages, etc.

The area I do think there has been a change is in the doffs. There are fewer missions I can do now because I don't have the gamma quadrant commodities.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Beg to differ, in one Elite venue...got 3 boxes (the most). And this is not a rare occurence either.

When there are early equipment drops, on where a minor opponent is defeated before the finish..it becomes a box.

And since this evernt started, the numbers on releasing are increasing. And it is on purpose.

You will get 1 box every time you complete a STF.. Just like you get 1 (or 2 on elite ) edc's ,and a set amount of dilithium everytime you complete a STF.

There are two tables on every STF.

One table gives you all the stuff you get every time you play. You get these items every time you play. This is where you are getting the boxes.. you get one every time you play.

The other has the tech and harder to get items on it.

The two tables are separate form each other, one does not effect the other.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yeah, I ran an STF this afternoon and got 3 Cardy boxes. I ran a Borg sector mission and got 3 Cardy boxes. I think I got a Cardy box from a DOFF mission. I mean, they're everywhere. While I understand that this brings in money, I'm wondering if these boxes are taking the place of actual rewards.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I can confirm that rare and prototype borg techs drop since I just got several yesterday. My problem is that I keep getting rare shield tech (x10) and prototype shield tech (x2). I've only ever gotten 1 uncommon engine tech and 1 rare Deflector tech. All my M.A.C.O. and Omega Mk XI sets were made by EDCs (at 40 Each). Lolz at least the rare shield techs are financing my ECs to the tune of 50k a pop. Being Able to exchange 2 Shield tech for an equivalent level Deflector or Engine tech would do wonders.

Of course I also got a TON of Protoype Chips to be able to outfit my Galaxy, Sovereign, Odyssey and Defiant with level XII weapons is a great consequence of farming for the prototype tech but meh...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sarek2165 wrote:
    Yeah, I ran an STF this afternoon and got 3 Cardy boxes. I ran a Borg sector mission and got 3 Cardy boxes. I think I got a Cardy box from a DOFF mission. I mean, they're everywhere. While I understand that this brings in money, I'm wondering if these boxes are taking the place of actual rewards.
    i have already said that,its now becoming a bit of a joke. i got two purple boxes the first day since then nothing,and they are still tring to tell us that the normal drop rates for everything else havnt changed i call BS on that one
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    What's funny or sad (or both) is that when we're in an STF and a Cardy box pops up, everyone passes. I think I passed on the thing 8 times before one of the other players finally said "fine" and hit 'need'. LOL
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    just done an infected run no drops through the mission except for 8 lock boxes, mission reward EDC, blue box and plasma manifold and the drop for completing rare salvage and two other bits.so no change to the drop rate (yeah whatever)cant remember last time a EDC droped during mission, but before these stupid boxes you use to see 3-4 per mission
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    woppy101 wrote: »
    just done an infected run no drops through the mission except for 8 lock boxes, mission reward EDC, blue box and plasma manifold and the drop for completing rare salvage and two other bits.so no change to the drop rate (yeah whatever)cant remember last time a EDC droped during mission, but before these stupid boxes you use to see 3-4 per mission

In the last 5 STFs I've been in (the past two days), I have seen 2 EDCs drop.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I can confirm the experience with these stupid lock boxes.

Even in Elite i got 2 uncommon borg salvage and mystery boxes.

I was lucky yesterday before the servers crashes i got 4 rare and 1 prototype borg salvage, but after restart,
    lockbox looting was at normal TO HIGH RATE.

I never bought a master key and i never will buy a key.
    My credits are even too value for this stupid "FEATURE"

Cryptic is killing the game with this lockboxes.

I need prototypes f
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Sarek2165 wrote:
    In the last 5 STFs I've been in (the past two days), I have seen 2 EDCs drop.

we use to get that per mission
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    woppy101 wrote: »
    we use to get that per mission

Then you got lucky. I did plenty of STFs before, and I'd get 1 EDC drop maybe once every 4 or 5 runs I did.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    One table gives you all the stuff you get every time you play. You get these items every time you play... you get one every time you play..

Come again?

:p:p
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    After 4 stfs 2 elite 2 normal i found 1 very rare borg salvage in an elite stf.

I think in elite you get much less lock boxes then in nprmal STFs.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just a quick question here (not a complaint as I have little insight into how the game works behind the scenes and love playing the game) but as it has been described that the system draws from two separate lists in regards to how drops work does the system favour one list over the other at times?

The only reason I say this is because although the end rewards are pretty much the same with the addition of the mystery box the actual drops in game from destroyed vessels seems to favour the cardie boxes.

I've had a couple of STFs now where as it was before you got some sort of console or weapon from the drops from destroying ships it seems to greatly favour the cardie boxes with only one console or weapon being dropped in game.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    looks like someone has changed the drop rates of these boxes,ust done an infected run and got 2 box drops which everyone refused
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Crazy_Wolf wrote:
    ...I've had a couple of STFs now where as it was before you got some sort of console or weapon from the drops from destroying ships it seems to greatly favour the cardie boxes with only one console or weapon being dropped in game.

I've been having that too. I remember when I first went to outfit my engineer. It took me 3ish days to get him into MK XI gear. I chained STFs for hours even ground. Mobs would drop EDCs and sometimes there would be loots of 1-3 in the end/optionals.Now it is just boxes all of the time with a green drop from the mobs of some sort. It doesn't feel right.

My concern is that this is ticking a bunch of people off. I'm not meaning just this possible drop issue. Getting so many of these boxes have been annoying myself and my fleet. We just discard the things since a key is 100 Cpoints and we'd rather have a ship than opening boxes for a chance at a Galor, that most won't fly, and some random stuff.

The other annoying side to this is the message of "Player X got a Galor. Yay them!" It is nice for that player but it distracts from the killing while it doesn't really impart a good thing in our gaming. This reminds me of other games that have such things and I quit playing those too.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I've been having that too. I remember when I first went to outfit my engineer. It took me 3ish days to get him into MK XI gear. I chained STFs for hours even ground. Mobs would drop EDCs and sometimes there would be loots of 1-3 in the end/optionals.Now it is just boxes all of the time with a green drop from the mobs of some sort. It doesn't feel right.

My concern is that this is ticking a bunch of people off. I'm not meaning just this possible drop issue. Getting so many of these boxes have been annoying myself and my fleet. We just discard the things since a key is 100 Cpoints and we'd rather have a ship than opening boxes for a chance at a Galor, that most won't fly, and some random stuff.

The other annoying side to this is the message of "Player X got a Galor. Yay them!" It is nice for that player but it distracts from the killing while it doesn't really impart a good thing in our gaming. This reminds me of other games that have such things and I quit playing those too.

Some people like the boxes, and they ARE extra loot, on top of what you'd get anyway.

As for the Galor messages, you can hide those from your options.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    No they are NOT optional or extra loot. They have for a FACT replaced a great deal of loot we USED to get. There are a LOT more of us who hate the boxes than those who like them. They cram them in our faces constantly and in every way conceivable. The boxes need to go NOW.:(
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Nov8tr wrote:
    The boxes NEED TO GO NOW.:(

You DARE to say that while Homs is burning? :mad:

Boxes rule STO now wouldn't want the space dock shelled out by a spam of crystalline entity do you. Those things are a pain to kill :D
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    AdamPD wrote: »
    Had a choice of a mystery box today as part of completing a mission, so chose it

Then opened it to find a cardassian loot box inside..........GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Unless I'm mistaken, that's *all* mystery boxes contain. They have a small chance of giving a Gold lock box and give 'regular' ones if you don't get a gold.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    15 stf's and only lock boxes and chips, no salvage or tech.
  • Options
    edited March 2012

Guys, guys, guys, chill. Gozer has posted. Gozer has assured you all that you're wrong. He's right. Nothing's been replaced. Gozer says! That's official word coming down from Cryptic. You're all just unlucky. Lockboxes are extras you wouldn't have gotten, and your regular loot table and regular loot drops are fine. Gz's triple checked that for ya. Now stop taking time out of his busy schedule with loot questions so he can get back to the Children of Khan STF that was due in 2010.

;)

ZING!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Umbaglo wrote: »
    I have, in fact, gotten two Rare Tech drops since the mystery boxes started.

Random chance is just that; random. Sometimes it means a streak of nothing, sometimes it means steady gains, and sometimes it's a streak of wins.

Lucky i have had over 150 EDC i have never had a proto type shield tech etc guess im just unlucky!

All i ever get is rare shield techs useless rare and very rare proto types all uselss now i have the weapons i want.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    It is not the point of things being replaced.

It is more to the another point. The growing Rate of Cardy Boxes are being released. Not only in the STFs, but they are been showing up in the Deep Space Encounters now.

Enticement is becoming unwanted.
    superchum wrote: »
    Guys, guys, guys, chill. Gozer has posted. Gozer has assured you all that you're wrong. He's right. Nothing's been replaced. Gozer says! That's official word coming down from Cryptic. You're all just unlucky. Lockboxes are extras you wouldn't have gotten, and your regular loot table and regular loot drops are fine. Gz's triple checked that for ya. Now stop taking time out of his busy schedule with loot questions so he can get back to the Children of Khan STF that was due in 2010.

;)

ZING!
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Aren't you forgetting the junk items there? Because those are the ones that replace your tech.

Anyway, 15 stf's is nothing to base a statistic on. Come back when you've run at least 100 without any tech/salvage, rare or prototype.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I've only just started doing the normal STF missions (space only for now) and have received quite a few borg tech ..things and salvage parts.

The boxes however....oh lord, the boxes.

I think each player must get about 15-20 popups during the stf about looting boxes. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I'm at work looking at it right now...

There is no change in the drop rate of all the items you are worried about. You are getting boxes as well as rolling on the other tables like normal.

Yes you can and will get boxes, but the other tables are not effected. Boxes come for several places in our system, you will get lots of them since they are attached to every critter in our game.

The STF specific loot comes from separate STF only tables, the two do not share any data between them.

A reward table can not drop something that it does not include.

A reward table can not give you (A) item instead of (B) Item, if it does not have (A) item in its list of things it "could" give you.

There is no problem with the STF tables.. end of story.

So how come I ran Khitomer Accord last night and ONLY got a lockbox every time I killed a probe? No other loot. Just lockboxes. For the entire match.

Nothing wrong with the loot tables, you say?

Getting a regular drop these days is a rare and precious thing.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    So how come I ran Khitomer Accord last night and ONLY got a lockbox every time I killed a probe? No other loot. Just lockboxes. For the entire match.

Nothing wrong with the loot tables, you say?

Getting a regular drop these days is a rare and precious thing.

I, like you, have a very hard time understanding Gozer's explanation. Even if they are on separate loot tables, the game is still choosing one loot table over the other. So, some overarching table or mechanic is choosing between whether to go with an STF regular loot table or an STF lock box table. This means that, if you are getting lock boxes from 3/4 of the items that typically give regular drops, the game has been manipulated so that lock boxes drop more frequently (game choosing STF lock box table over a STF regular drop table). Sorry, but "end of story" doesn't convince me.
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    I wouldn't mind the mystery boxes if they dropped more Gold Cardassian Lock Boxes. As it stands, I have yet to see a mystery box cough one up. And come to think of it... I haven't seen a Gold Lock Box in over a week of grinding STF's.
This discussion has been closed.