test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Scheduled Maintenance (February 19, 2012)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Galactic News Network [PC]
We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Sunday, February 19th from 12:00AM to 1:30AM PST (0800 to 0930 UTC) in order to perform a quick update to resolve the issues with Operation Gamma being available too early. We will provide an update when the maintenance is complete.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Friday, huh?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Note: 12:00AM to 1:30AM PST is generally considered part of "Sunday, February 19th". Even moreso, when you take into consideration the timestam for 0800 to 0930 UTC :P
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Typo fixed. Sorry for any confusion.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    We will be bringing down Star Trek Online on Friday, February 19th from 12:00AM to 1:30AM PST (0800 to 0930 UTC) in order to perform a quick update to resolve the issues with Operation Gamma being available too early. We will provide an update when the maintenance is complete.

Did you know the next Friday Febuary 19th is in 2016?
    Thanks for the SUPER Extended Notice!! :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    What about the Empty Gameserver List problem that started today?

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=236773

Everyone whose tried to make a new character today are getting locked out with an error saying Empty Gameserver List... 9 pages of complaints just today alone.. and not one single comment from the Staff about it?!

When are you going to address it?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Yep, even a 'looking into it' regarding the empty game server issue would make a better impression. I left this game previously because I felt the devs didn't care, this is making me feel that it hasn't changed.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Does this fix correct the bug that is braking foundry missions? Thanks.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Will this fix the 'Cage of Fire' Nav Beacon issue please?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Is the empty Game server error related to this server take down?
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    tetalon wrote:
    Is the empty Game server error related to this server take down?

Judging from the OP, doesn't appear so. It would seem the patch is specifically related to the premature release of the "Operation Gamma" FE.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    From the Dev Tracker (link)
    dstahl wrote: »
    The team is investigating this issue. If there is an issue it is intermittent as some players are completing all types of queued missions.

The quick update tonight at midnight (Pacific) to fix Dominion Episode 3 from being offered will also include an update to help address the queues and "no map found" issues.
    ^^^
    It appears they are going to try and fix what their earlier hotpatch this afternoon broke. Hope they are successful.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    You may want a server guy to come in too. Instance changes are getting slower and slower.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    just my personal opinion but i think a lot of people would be happier if you just fixed everything once a week instead of taking the server down every other day it's been annoying how often the server has been going down i'm sure we can wait for something to be fixed if it means we get more playing time.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    just my personal opinion but i think a lot of people would be happier if you just fixed everything once a week instead of taking the server down every other day it's been annoying how often the server has been going down i'm sure we can wait for something to be fixed if it means we get more playing time.

i agree. the only time i really get to play is at night/early morning. and the server has gone down every 2 days with almost 100% consistency lately. i would rather have a 3-4 hour patch 1 day a week than 1-2 every 3 days, i was really hoping to get my kdf char to 45 tonight.

edit: not that i miss my Aesir, but im so bored out of my mind so im hopping on BGO.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    i dont know what i was thinking. bgo sucks. i even got a chat ban for talking in fleet chat(global chat) saying people should stop playing bgo and come play sto. it did kinda seem server population was down a bit.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ya see Cryptic seems to go through these lil spurts of trying to rush the hog to the BBQ, hence all the broken sh$t. They did it before, and they are doing it again...where one patch fixes one thing, but breaks 2 more.

There was a time where I was very patient with Cryptic and one of their staunch defenders....now it just looks like lack of quality assurance on the part of Cryptic, which could be huge in this business as it means the difference between players, and no players. Not trying to be negative, just being subjective.

They can take down the server every night for all I care, but if they have to take 2 steps back just to take a step forward....that's not progress....that's losing ground. Honestly I cannot understand how they have not streamlined their code to the point where this is a non issue. I also cannot understand how come they do not devote enough man hours to testing and bug squashing.

Quality Assurance Cryptic.......that's what its called.......I did that field of work for 13 years....and If I ran across a project like this with so many discrepancies, I'd have red flagged it and shut it down long ago until it's fixed.

You cannot keep doing this and expect positive results guys....Its getting old really quick. And many do not have the patience I do.....especially with so many other F2P games that exist out there right now all vieing for a chunk of your business.

I would rather you take the game off line for 2 weeks to fix what needs to be fixed, then relaunch the game in a better state of being than to continue this madness of on the fly, from the hip patch jobs that do more harm than good.

I love this game, but you guys are killin me here...
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I'm sure they would MUCH rather only have to fix things once a week, but it is what it is.

Taking into consideration the HUGE amount of changes they have had to make to change the game from Subscription based to Free 2 Play based, I actually think the amount of what's actually working is impressive. In essence they've basically tried to create a new game using old parts on the fly without actually taking the game down for months.

There are A LOT of bugs they have to get worked out and Dynamic patching systems are a HUGE headache and probably why there's been so many bugs creeping up after some patches. When that happens then the only choice they have is to take the server down. There's also the fact that the server(s) they're running the game off of just wanted figured for this many new people in such a huge wave.

EDIT: Also an unnamed source had said before there are only 8 game devs. With so few how many programmers do you actually think they've got working in this? I'm sure these guys are busting their butts as much and quickly as they can to get things fixed. Hopefully F2P will mean more devs and more programmers so this will be a thing of the past.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    castogere wrote: »
    Ya see Cryptic seems to go through these lil spurts of trying to rush the hog to the BBQ, hence all the broken sh$t. They did it before, and they are doing it again...where one patch fixes one thing, but breaks 2 more.

There was a time where I was very patient with Cryptic and one of their staunch defenders....now it just looks like lack of quality assurance on the part of Cryptic, which could be huge in this business as it means the difference between players, and no players. Not trying to be negative, just being subjective.

They can take down the server every night for all I care, but if they have to take 2 steps back just to take a step forward....that's not progress....that's losing ground. Honestly I cannot understand how they have not streamlined their code to the point where this is a non issue. I also cannot understand how come they do not devote enough man hours to testing and bug squashing.

Quality Assurance Cryptic.......that's what its called.......I did that field of work for 13 years....and If I ran across a project like this with so many discrepancies, I'd have red flagged it and shut it down long ago until it's fixed.

You cannot keep doing this and expect positive results guys....Its getting old really quick. And many do not have the patience I do.....especially with so many other F2P games that exist out there right now all vieing for a chunk of your business.

I would rather you take the game off line for 2 weeks to fix what needs to be fixed, then relaunch the game in a better state of being than to continue this madness of on the fly, from the hip patch jobs that do more harm than good.

I love this game, but you guys are killin me here...

Nuff said :)

i'd rather lose a whole day of STO if it meant u could fix the majority of problems being thrown up on a to regular basis,who's checking this stuff out before u release it live?. Almost a year without any new content and this is the best u can do... :o
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Thank you for your patience.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Tinead wrote:
    i'd rather lose a whole day of STO if it meant u could fix the majority of problems being thrown up on a to regular basis

exactly what i'm saying they do it with CO i don't see why they cant do it here i don't mind if they plan it a week in advance to take the game down for a day i wouldn't mind at least then it's expected, the way it's going now i'm playing and all of a sudden i see the game is going down in a half hour and a lot of missions cant be finished in that amount of time. i just like the way they update at champions normally just once a week most of the issues they are attempting to fix are rushed and aren't event that urgent.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It occurs to me with all this dumping on Cryptic for frequent patching due to new content being added that they will be loath to add new content very often. Lets just hope that the small number of complaints in these threads do not discourage them.

You can't have it both ways.

I for one have no problem with the 2 hour per day patching especially if it is related to expanding content and improving the game.

There are plenty of things to do when the game is down to including posting and reading in the forum. For just as many people shutting it down at the time they do probably saves them from being fired from their job as they call it a night and go to bed like they should. Others get a bite to eat, or catch up on some other things they have been neglecting.

Many posters in these threads harp on the fact that it cuts into their small window of time to play due to their personal life schedule, but lets face it; you are in a very small minority. I am glad I am not you is all I can say.

I don't see it as one step forward two steps back at all. I accept the fact that the patches sometimes break other things, but the vast majority of players probably don't even see what got broken before before it is fixed. There are exceptions of course such as when the autofire got broken, but even then there was a work arround.

While were at it lets not forget. The game is now F2P and the vast majority of us love it.

I have managed to accumalet close to 100 million credits. I can't even complain about the drop boxes and the keys. I can just buy the Galor on the exhange if I want it bad enough.

Oh; lest I forget; I have a billion credit account from paying 400CP that I farmed in Kerrat.

On the fair side if you want to complain about something legitamate I would harp on how Gold and Lifetime Subscriptions have drawn the short end of the stick. The only thing that blows my mind is that many of them don't feel that way.

Cryptic has done far more things right than the small number of things they have done wrong and given the fact that you can never expect perfection that says a lot.

You can please most people most of the time, but you can't please everyone all the time.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Nighthawk4 wrote: »
    Will this fix the 'Cage of Fire' Nav Beacon issue please?

I got hung up on that one today as well.

I think I wasted 30 minutes looking for it before finally breaking down and searching the forums for information about the issue.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

if they only take it down once a week to fix things we have to go all week with the stuff they broke while trying to fix things no thnx i'll take emergency patches any day of the week
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    drysyn wrote:
    if they only take it down once a week to fix things we have to go all week with the stuff they broke while trying to fix things no thnx i'll take emergency patches any day of the week

im gonna have to agree with that ESPECIALLY because the impulse bug is hella annoying
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    So... No patch notes so I'm guessing nothing was actually done. There are so many annoying bugs in this game right now that need to be fixed. Stop slacking and actually earn your pay for a change! :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    JCSWW wrote: »
    So... No patch notes so I'm guessing nothing was actually done. There are so many annoying bugs in this game right now that need to be fixed. Stop slacking and actually earn your pay for a change! :mad:

The OP (Original Post) in this thread has the patch notes. They said specifically that this was a simple maintenance update to fix the issue with next week's mission accidentally being offered this week. All this maintenance does is remove that option.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ops, you forgot to lock the thread after maint.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    can you also fix the bug so when u move the cuser/mouse it will not auto adjust ship throttle? my cuser is not even next to throttle and moving it makes the throttle move.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    It occurs to me with all this dumping on Cryptic for frequent patching due to new content being added that they will be loath to add new content very often. Lets just hope that the small number of complaints in these threads do not discourage them.

what new content? the FE? they were doing this daily shutdown long before it came out. and if they try to use people not liking it as an excuse to not add content that would really be saying something about cryptic.
    While were at it lets not forget. The game is now F2P and the vast majority of us love it.

you don't speak for the vast majority, and there are alot that don't love it. F2P has nothing to do with the daily shutdowns. it was going on before it went F2P
    Many posters in these threads harp on the fact that it cuts into their small window of time to play due to their personal life schedule, but lets face it; you are in a very small minority.

what? if anything they are in the overwhelming majority. common sense say that most people that play an online game, this or any other, have a schedule. whether that is work or school or whatever else.
    I have managed to accumalet close to 100 million credits. I can't even complain about the drop boxes and the keys. I can just buy the Galor on the exhange if I want it bad enough

most people don't have anywhere near that kind of cash. and even if they did it has nothing to do with whats wrong with the lockbox concept.
    On the fair side if you want to complain about something legitamate I would harp on how Gold and Lifetime Subscriptions have drawn the short end of the stick

excuse me? you're saying this isn't a legitimate issue? and then saying golds and lifetimes need more? bs. they're getting exactly what they paid for, and this is a legitimate issue.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    First, I'd like to say to you whiners out there: Lay off the Devs. They're doing their jobs. For those of you nay-sayers out there: have you ever programed? It's a b**** to do, trust me, I'm taking classes in it. To search through endless lines of coding to find a problem and repair it is a pain in the butt.

At least the Dev's are active on this game unlike other ones pwe owns (pwi) where you can actually talk to them and tell them what you've noticed (saw one in ESD the other day and thought it was awesome!).

As for F2P, I thought it was a great idea. I live on a fixed budget and can rarely afford the price of the game (btw, if you haven't noticed you can buy a month pass on Amazon for 6 dollars, all you have to do is purchase the game and add the code. You can also get it at your local game store if they have it... mine did.)

A final thought for the Devs and Staff members: I'd love to see a c-store sale or a lifetime sale in the near future. It'd be awesome.