What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Romulans or Cardassian as the next!?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2012 in Ten Forward
:rolleyes:
BlackV7 wrote:
I'll be more concern about getting the Romulan faction going as a playable race, than those minor races. I want my ROMMIE :mad:

I am going to state this. I am not trying to make anyone mad but I do not see the Romulans becomming a playable race before Cardassian/Jem'hadar.

The reason being if they were the next to come out why would the studio be focusing on giving us Cardassian and Jem'Hadar ships. I know some will say it becasue of the feature episode. But I disagree.

The Romulans are still too fractured after the Hobus Star went super nova. I mean, let see here the dominion consisted of what races, Changelings, Vorta, Jem'Hadar, Cardassians, and the Breen. Wow two feature episode series with the domion forces in it. I know the Breen are not in the Dominion anymore, but hey the Romulan FE was mostly focused on Remans. I could see them becomming a playable race before the Romulans. Also if ya look at the holo ships hmmm alot of Jem'hadar and Cardassian ships. But awe no Romulan.

The romulan government was just found out to be conspiring with the Iconians over a year ago, I saw not one romulan ship help you in any of those battle in that FE.

Don't get me wrong I love the Romulans, but they are going to take a bit to get a a story line in order for them, along with the hirogen.

Ya I am think season six will open up with the Cardassians and Jem'Hadar being a playable species.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2012
    Oh sorry three FE I forgot we got to go inside a cardassian ship and bridge in The Devidian Series of Bam a butt load of Cardassian stuff already preped and in game data. Stations, worlds ships weapons, I mean come on, and the Jem'Hadar ships got a new look.........:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I agree with you, i also think it will be the Dominion or the Cardassians next, fingers crosseds its the Dominion.
    Although having said all that, i'd eventually like to see the Breen playable, but i suppose we'll have to wait and see.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I would not mind to see playable Cardassians.

We also have one or two Cardassian RP fleets currently active, and they would be very happy with such.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I see your point, but I'm hoping that the relative silence surrounding the Romulans (fitting for my people :D) has to do with the faction being worked on, if only on paper.

Also, while I'm nearly as eager to have a Cardassian faction (my second favourite Trek race) as I am a Romulan one, I just don't see it happening. Why? Backlash. Now, have Cryptic and (especially) PWE addressed player backlash to any measurable degree? Not really. However, things like the lock boxes and Galor spam are more marketing/financial decisions than developer ones. They're designed solely to take our money and were inevitable given PWE's track record and the f2p model. Both the players and the devs could have fought it kicking and screaming, and it still would have happened. The third faction debate, on the other hand, is (mostly) a content/developer issue. Imagine the **** storm that would be kicked up if the third core species of Trek was passed over in favour of what started as a very minor race until DS9. The forums would be flooded with even more "Romulans Now!" type threads; there may even be petitions. Would it ultimately do them any good? Again, probably not... but it might cause enough of a PR issue (nevermind a player hemorrhaging issue) that it may give them pause.

As far as story content goes for the Romulans, I have to disagree. Would it be as easy as the Feds and Klinks? No.... but it wouldn't be terribly difficult either. There was already a "choose your path" option in the Romulan Mystery episodes. This would merely have to be expanded upon a bit more. Do you support Sela, the remnants of the Tal Shiar, or perhaps a Reunification splinter faction? There are many ways for a Romulan storyline to play out.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I am going to state this. I am not trying to make anyone mad but I do not see the Romulans becomming a playable race before Cardassian/Jem'hadar.

GRRRRRR !!!! (Growls ferciously)

I beg to differ my good man, for the mere fact that the current focus on the Cardassian/Jem Hedar is due to the new FE that has debuted on 02/11/2012 - The first true new FE since our last FE (What a drought)
    The reason being if they were the next to come out why would the studio be focusing on giving us Cardassian and Jem'Hadar ships. I know some will say it becasue of the feature episode. But I disagree.

No, seriously, it is because of the new featured episode. All kidding aside, we haven't had a new FE in a long, long, long time. The opportunity to celebrate and profit it from this FE cannot be passed up. Thats why the Lock Box promotions are flying around in spades.
    The Romulans are still too fractured after the Hobus Star went super nova. I mean...

Tsk, tsk, tsk, monsieur Kapitan, just because the Romulans are in a midst of a civil war, does not mean that their political body is in limbo. On the contrary, their political status makes for some intriguing story arcs and power play drama. Remember, we Rommies excel in the art of back stabbing, cloak and dagger, and assassination.

let see here the dominion consisted of what races, Changelings, Vorta, Jem'Hadar, Cardassians, and the Breen.

I would eliminate the Cardassian and Breen from the list, since that former alliance was formerly dissolved. What you have now from the Cardassians are renegade True Way splinter groups who are akin to mere terrorist. The Breen on the otherhand is under the peace accord agreements written after the Dominion forces surrendered. Vorta's are a minor part of the Dominion and are mere overseers of the Jem Hedar, and of course Changelings are their headmasters.
    Wow two feature episode series with the domion forces in it.

Correction, there is only one FE currently about the Dominion. There are no FE that deals with the Cardassian per say - only involves the terrorist organization called the True Way.

There is another FE involving the Breen, whom are no longer part of the Dominion and are under the peace accords signed during the surrender of the Dominion forces at DS9.

Also it is currently unknown if the 2800 is operating on their own accord and lead by a renegade changeling - this is due to the fact that changelings can be an honorable people. Odo has shown the changelings at the Great Lake that not all solids are evil and hell bent on destruction.
    I know the Breen are not in the Dominion anymore,

You have just confirmed what I have stated on this post.
    but hey the Romulan FE was mostly focused on Remans. I could see them becomming a playable race before the Romulans. Also if ya look at the holo ships hmmm alot of Jem'hadar and Cardassian ships. But awe no Romulan.

Thats an even bigger sign that a playable Cardassian / Dominion race will not be implemented - solely because these items are offered. No Holo emitters of Klingon vessels or Fed vessels?So that point falls short.

The Romulan FE was really a Reman FE involving the Romulans. It explores the civil war between the Remans and the Romulans, and the Tal Shiar agenda.
    The Romulan government was just found out to be conspiring with the Iconians over a year ago, I saw not one Romulan ship help you in any of those battle in that FE.

This operation involving the Iconians were under the auspices of the Tal Shiar - A secretive gestapo type organization with its own agenda. It may be that the main Romulan politcal organization were not aware of Empress Sela true intent, besides she was a dictator.
    Don't get me wrong I love the Romulans, but they are going to take a bit to get a a story line in order for them, along with the Hirogen.

Again I beg to differ, the current state of the Romulan Star Empire opens it up for one of the most intriguing story lines out of all the current factions.

A) Fed - pretty much straight forward - diplomacy, exploration, policing troubled sector space

B)Klingon (least how CRYPTIC protrays them :mad:) - War, more War, more glorious war

C) Romulans - ah intriguing indeed - Leadership assassinations, cloak and dagger missions, infiltrations, disrupting world governments, Civil War, secretive weapons project type story arc, the return of the Iconian story arc, diplomacy, exploration, Klingon war and tons tons more :D
    Ya I am think season six will open up with the Cardassians and Jem'Hadar being a playable species.

I hope not :mad:
    The Rommies are part of the original Trinity of Star Trek and deserve their place of respect alongside the Feds and Klinks.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They have pretty much said romulans will be next. there was even a poll and romulans were the runaway leader for players choice of the next faction.

I do love the cardassians and the dominion but the romulans are going to be next.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Cardies, no.
    Rommies, yes.
    But of course either is a very long ways away, considering the number of missions the KDF need to bring them up to parity.

besides, Jem'hadar are designed drug addicts with no real self initiative. Once a Jem'hadar developed a sense of self worth, they are executed by their pseudo-religous overlords, and replaced.

Would it really be fun to play a new Changling/Founder just to have your jem'hadar Boffs all commit mass suicide everytime you get wacked because they "failed their Founder"?

Vorta, were nothing but "middle management" that thought WAy too highly of themselves. Do you really wanna play the Assistant Manager at a fast food place? no
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I'd rather have neither of them and just see both races become playable for Fed/Klink players.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Ok I am sorry to say but all of your points are moot.

As for you black and the comment of there being no holo emitters for fed or klingon why make a holo emitter for a playable ship, really.

And wow if your that hard core Rommie as your say then please feel free to fork out the money needed to make ship interior and ships and missions for them.

Also I did state that yes it is tied to the FE but you ignored when I said that it was just a excuse to test out the shups that will becoming out. On alot of sites it states that even when the poll came out yes there was over whelming request for Romulans, but cryptic has not released anything new in over 11 months regaurding the Romulan player race.

I am just saying I believe it will be easier right now in integrate the cardassian/dominion into game with not much change needed a few mission changed but no real development needed as most interiors for stations bases and building and ship interior plus bridges are already made.

And for your trifecta, I am sorry but an entire 7 seasons of DS9 had cardassians and four of which have the dominion, while the romulans state and ploted and hid most of there entire existence in sto ploting and waiting.

The Romulans are not just facigna civil war, after nemsis there was such a power gap that the empire fell apart. Look at it like this Romulans are the roman empire they feel and now are more than likely going to be either inducted into the federation or conquered by the klingons.

I just am stating that it would be more cost productive for the devs to get the cardassians up and running.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Cardies, no.
    Rommies, yes.
    But of course either is a very long ways away, considering the number of missions the KDF need to bring them up to parity.

besides, Jem'hadar are designed drug addicts with no real self initiative. Once a Jem'hadar developed a sense of self worth, they are executed by their pseudo-religous overlords, and replaced.

Would it really be fun to play a new Changling/Founder just to have your jem'hadar Boffs all commit mass suicide everytime you get wacked because they "failed their Founder"?

Vorta, were nothing but "middle management" that thought WAy too highly of themselves. Do you really wanna play the Assistant Manager at a fast food place? no

As for the KDF I feel that they are in a good place right now, the KDF is a PVP race that is what it was designed to be house struggles and such and territory battles, not recon mission, really if KDF did pvp like they were designed to do them it would work with the missions they have.

I have had a Gorn since KDF was low level. it was easy to level and now its even easier.

Think of the game in a way other than wow with quest and stuff please.

This game has been so dumbed down because of people complaining its to complicated and hard to get the conscepts of mechanics.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I doubt we'll see a new faction until the Klingon faction gets fleshed out further.

Cryptic has said as much, more than once.

KOS
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Rommies next... then we'll skip the spoon heads in favor of the undine :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Rommies next... then we'll skip the spoon heads in favor of the undine :D

Ugh, no. Fix the KDF, and be quick about it!

Then we should get Romulans, Cardassians, Ferengi, Breen, and Tamarians... in that order... assuming the servers stay up that long... :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012

Then we should get Romulans, Cardassians, Ferengi, Breen, and Tamarians... in that order... assuming the servers stay up that long... :D

Um the Ferengi are part of the Federation now, miner commerce can be done on ther own but ya there will never be a Ferengi playble race with ships and there own missions.

Tamarians nope either not a major player.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

nooo... it goes..

Romulan, Undine, Ferengi, Breen, Tamarian(why?) , Terran Empire , Spoon heads.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Its time the "spoonhead" speaks.

If you are refering to first playable species....It should be Cardassian. We already have the Galor in the system and because both current factions will have them in the inventory Cardassia will be melded into the UFP and KDF. This is the cheap and easy way of getting them in and will quiet the Cardi fans.

The Romulans will be the next FACTION; this takes longer to develop so all of you Romulan fans either ask to be melded into a faction (like they're doing with the Cardassians) or be patient, it's coming.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    carmenara wrote:
    I would not mind to see playable Cardassians.

We also have one or two Cardassian RP fleets currently active, and they would be very happy with such.

Thank You sweet fair lady for such nice comments about the Cardassians. We don't see that too much. :D
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    They have pretty much said romulans will be next. there was even a poll and romulans were the runaway leader for players choice of the next faction.

I do love the cardassians and the dominion but the romulans are going to be next.

I want to Rommies next, would play them in a heartbeat get be behind the helm of a Warbird.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    As for the KDF I feel that they are in a good place right now,1. the KDF is a PVP race that is what it was designed to be house struggles and such and territory battles, not recon mission, really if KDF did pvp like they were designed to do them it would work with the missions they have.

2. I have had a Gorn since KDF was low level. it was easy to level and now its even easier.

1.Jem'hadar: PvP race, misions; fight and die culture
    Vorta: middle management of PvP race; point Jem'hadar in the direction to fight and die, distribute narcotics culture
    Changelings: COs of PvP race; missions could be multifaceted, primarily tells Vorta where they want their Jem'hadar where to fight and die and hangs out at Club Puddle
    Cardasians: militaristic community, heavily leans towards a PvP race
    Breen: PvP race soldier society

2. that's just leveling, not story development.

A Dominion/Cardasian/Breen (Re)Alliance would be another PvP faction, and thus wouldn't be justified as a full faction, but a half faction like the KDF.

Um 1. the Ferengi are part of the Federation now, miner commerce can be done on ther own but ya there will never be a Ferengi playble race with ships and there own missions.

Tamarians nope either not a major player.

The Ferengi Alliance did not join the Federation. The Federation wouldn't allow them to freely trade their technologies with their enemies. Since their are representatives of the FA in First City...

Besides, Romulans are a core "enemy" spanning the entire Star Trek series.
    Cardies had a couple token apperances in TNG, not becoming impotant until DS9.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    OP...you don't know about the poll do you?

Romulan was chosen to be next a long time ago.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

The Ambassador-class was chose in a *very* close second with the Nebula. We still haven't see that ship.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

I do know of the poll done in about the sixth month of the game being online. I knwo what the punlic wants but think of practicality,
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    I made some excellent points and as far people wanting the Romulan Faction next, they win in spades (See the Poll)
    As for you black and the comment of there being no holo emitters for fed or klingon why make a holo emitter for a playable ship, really.

Seriously now? I mean they already have emitters for the Galor and BUG - both ship obtainable in game via ECs, if you have enough of it. Also folks who never bought certain Klingon or Federation vessels from the CStore should get at least a chance at a holo emitter of those particular vessels, However; the emitters are besides the point, for the simple fact that they are NOT an indicator of what faction is coming out next.
    And wow if your that hard core Rommie as your say then please feel free to fork out the money needed to make ship interior and ships and missions for them.

LOL, your deductive reasoning is severely flawed. I mean seriously, its CRYPTIC's job to make the game better, so please don't give them any excuse to sit on their TRIBBLE's and just milk profit, while giving us minimum content. Rehashing existing interior, designs, and missions can only take you so far.

A) If they can make Galor and BUG Bridge - THEY CAN make Romulan Bridges

B) The animation and looks for Cardy, Vorta, Changlings, Breen, Jem Hedar are in the game - So are the animation of Remans and Romulans

C) If they lack the imagination and creativity to make a deep Romulan story arc (Including LORE) - then what makes you think that they can make an awesome Cardassian / Dominion story arc as a faction. This is one of the biggest flaws that CRYPTIC shows, they TRIBBLE all over lore and many of their missions & stories simply suck, while at time make no sense
    Also I did state that yes it is tied to the FE but you ignored when I said that it was just a excuse to test out the shups that will becoming out. On alot of sites it states that even when the poll came out yes there was over whelming request for Romulans, but cryptic has not released anything new in over 11 months regaurding the Romulan player race.

Testing out ships that will becoming out? Where & when? You mean the lock boxes?

Just because we had 11 months of silence regarding the Romulans, does not necessarily mean they are pushed to the side as a possible faction. Again, your deductive reasoning is severely flawed here my friend. You're making assumptions based on CRYPTIC's past & current financial state.
    I am just saying I believe it will be easier right now in integrate the cardassian/dominion into game with not much change needed a few mission changed but no real development needed as most interiors for stations bases and building and ship interior plus bridges are already made.

So are the interiors, models, and characterization of the Remans and Romulans - again the apparent flaws behind your logic shows in spades (No offense). Don't get me wrong, I'm a HUGE fan of DS9 - and I know most folks will hate me for saying this - but I think DS9 was the best series out of all the newest incarnation of Star Trek, with the worst being Voyager and Enterprise. However; thats just my opinion - so yes you're looking at the #1 fan of all thats DS9 related.

With that being said, I'm equally a huge fan of TOS and the trinity that was created from that show - that being the Federation, Klingons, and our beloved Romulans. To skip out on one of the three major galactic powers in favor for a recent incarnation baby race such as the Cardassians and Jem Hedar is blasphemy :p:cool:

But I give you credit for at least thinking outside the box.
    And for your trifecta, I am sorry but an entire 7 seasons of DS9 had cardassians and four of which have the dominion, while the romulans state and ploted and hid most of there entire existence in sto ploting and waiting.

Uhm, really? Come on my friend - DS9 is ABOUT the Cardassian relation with the Bajorans, and their political games with the Federation. Just because the Romulans had a small role in the TV series does not make them less important than the races you mentioned. Heck the Romulans been around longer than the Cardassians, Jem Hedar, and the Bajorans (Talking TV series here).
    The Romulans are not just facigna civil war, after nemsis there was such a power gap that the empire fell apart. Look at it like this Romulans are the roman empire they feel and now are more than likely going to be either inducted into the federation or conquered by the klingons.

My goodness man, have you not read or seen the path to 2409 STO timeline? The Romulans made a key offensive against the Klingons, stopping them on their tracks. If the Romulans were that powerless they would have surrendered to the Klingons a long time ago.

There is nothing more dangerous than a wounded animal, with that being said, the Romulans in their current state of affairs, are far more dangerous than the Klingon Empire's war campaign. If the Romulan senate makes an agreement with their Reman brothers, watch out, the Federation can be sandwiched between two war fronts.
    I just am stating that it would be more cost productive for the devs to get the cardassians up and running.

We don't know that for sure? Since both the Cardassian / Dominion and Romulan / Reman models are already in place - we can only ascertain that it will still take as much work to construct them as a faction. You still have to make the ranking system, the missions from scratch, the CStore version of ship designs which include:

A) Cruisers
    B) Escorts
    C) Science vessel

Uniforms viable for players - to make them customizable

You're also speaking of promos etc...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Archanubis wrote:
    The Ambassador-class was chose in a *very* close second with the Nebula. We still haven't see that ship.

Archanubis, my chocolate dragon friend :D

I too await the arrival of the Ambassador Class, unfortunately; it was the second runner up and the Nebula was chosen instead. :( Hopefully they'll release it soon.

To be honest, its highly unlikely that CRYPTIC will be working on a third faction anytime soon. The KDF needs some serious restructuring as a viable Faction before they even contemplate on making a Rommie or Cardy Faction.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    If they include the Breen and Dominion along with the Cardassians, then them. Seeing as the Galor and Jem'Hadar ship were part of Mann Co. Supply Crates people have spent fortunes gambling on, that's never going to happen.

There'd be too many made-up non-canon ships required to fill out the Romulan ship roster, even though I think they're the coolest race besides Klingons in Trek.

Unless someone wants to correct me. How many different Romulan ship classes have made it on screen? Maybe its not much less than the Klingon ships that have made it to screen. Hmm...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    BlackV7 wrote:
    I too await the arrival of the Ambassador Class, unfortunately; it was the second runner up and the Nebula was chosen instead. :( Hopefully they'll release it soon.
    Really, the only regularly, clearly seen ships in Star Trek that are not yet in game are the Ambassador and the Constellation. I think more people are more interested in the Ambassador than they are the Constellation.

Grafico wrote:
    If they include the Breen and Dominion along with the Cardassians, then them.
    As others have said, the Breen are basically operating their own agenda at present. So no, they probably wouldn't feature as playable in a Cardassian/Dominion faction.
    There'd be too many made-up non-canon ships required to fill out the Romulan ship roster, even though I think they're the coolest race besides Klingons in Trek.
    Hasn't hurt the Klingons; and it's not like the Feds don't have a bunch of made up, "non-canon" ships in the game.
    Unless someone wants to correct me. How many different Romulan ship classes have made it on screen? Maybe its not much less than the Klingon ships that have made it to screen. Hmm...

Klingons:
    Bird-of-Prey (22nd Century)
    Bird-of-Prey (23rd/24th Century) - at least two clases: B'Rel and K'Vort
    Somraw-type Raptor
    D-5 Battle Cruiser
    D-7 Battle Cruiser
    K't'inga-class Battle Cruiser
    Vor'cha-class attack cruiser
    Negh'var-class warship

Romulans:
    Drone ship
    Bird-of-Prey (22nd Century)
    Bird-of-Prey (23rd Century)
    D-7 Battle Cruiser - actually a Klingon ship, but worth mentioning.
    D'deridex-class warbird - the one seen the most.
    Scout Ship
    Science Vessel
    Valdore-type warbird - called a Mogai in game, and classified as an escort. Be interesting to see if they reclassify that once they introduce more ships.
    Scimitar - referred to as a "Reman warbird" in the article, but considering the Romulans have appropriated it in game...

About even, really. A couple of dubious ones in the Romulan list, but even without...
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The next faction is still a very long way off, but it will be the Romulans. Not for any practical reasons, but simply that Klingons and Romulans are pop culture references. They were both in TOS. They are both recognizable to some extend by non Trek fans. While Cardassians racked up much more screentime in total than the Romulans, sure, most of that was limited to DS9, a series some (utterly deranged excuses for) Trek fans don't even like. They're just not as iconic.

And iconic matters.

We had to ***** and moan for a long time to get the (STO) original earth spacedock replaced with the one we have now, but now that its there, Cryptic doesn't miss a whole lot of opportunities to paste it into promotional images. So basically, it's going to be a banner that shows a Klingon, a Human and a Romulan, versus a banner that shows a Klingon, a Human and a Cardassian.

Get a board room and ten CBS executives. 9 out of 10 will pick the one with the Romulan.

We don't want to know what number 10 is doing.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Reave wrote: »
    We don't want to know what number 10 is doing.

Advocating the Borg as a faction. :p

In all seriousness, I really don't want to see either the Borg or the Undine as playable factions. Just doesn't seem to be much story with either to be worth it.
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    The next playable race will be ponies.
  • Options
    edited February 2012

The reason being if they were the next to come out why would the studio be focusing on giving us Cardassian and Jem'Hadar ships. I know some will say it becasue of the feature episode. But I disagree

1. If that would be a reason for anything, then for Cardassians NOT being the next playable race .... why would they sell these Chance Boxes with Cardassian Ships, if the Galor is coming "Soon" for free within a Cardassian Faction ... doesn't make any sense ... to me that sounds more like "Well ... Cardassians will probably never happen, why not give them some rare Chance Boxes instead "

... just imagine some guy spending a fortune on boxes right before Cryptic's Announcement of the new Cardassian Faction = worst business decision ever ....

2. The poll was pretty clear, sure it was a long time ago, but Romulans were mentioned in every Engi Report for about 2 years .... no word on Cardassians though ...

PS : I doubt a 3rd faction will ever happen, but if so ... it's pretty clear it's gonna be Rommies ....