test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Lifetime Subscription overpriced and only for lifetime of game dummies

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
You guys paying these overpriced subscription fees are true dee da dees...it says right under it that you're paying for the life of the game...so whenever they decide they are no longer raking in subscription fees BAM end of game, thanks for the 300 dollars...could be in a month, could be in a year, but definetly will be within 5...so 300 for 5 years of this game is WAY overpriced...these prices need to drop before I sign up for anything other then 1 month to check out new updates to the game every year. In no way will i ever pay that much for a game that could be cancelled in a year....then what 300 usd for a year of a game...you guys are nuts, pure greed. For you guys feeding the monster saying, "yay i just paid for my lifetime membership". Cant wait to see your posts in 2 years when they cancel development and run off with your cash! :))
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited December 2011
    Let's see $300 once versus $15 per month means that the game only needs to last 20 months for the lifetime sub to be worth it. 20 months is significantly less than 5 years and is in fact less than two years. So even if someone purchased their lifetime sub today and the game shuts down in two years they would still have saved money versus a monthly sub.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    let me be clear, paying ANY of these overpriced subscription fees are repetitive as the game itself...like i said before when i bought the game almost 2 years ago i got the 1 month free...realized how repetitive the game was and didnt renew my subscription, now nearly 2 years later I have paid for just 1 more month...now in this month I will probably find not much has changed in 2 years (what did they do with all those subscription fees? probably didnt mainly go to development) and then I will cancel it at end of month disappointed again that everything is still so repetitive. So ya paying month to month is a waste but giving that much money upfront thinking you'll be playing this game 5 years down the road is a laugh...and also a laugh they say "lifetime" but then in small print under says for as long as the game is in development.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Troll's gotta Troll.
    What you consider a wise investment of your money is going to be a stark contrast to what I consider a wise investment of my money.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    If the LT price is $299 and the monthly sub is $15.00, then after 20 months the game is effectively free -- but includes all of the perks of paying a monthly sub.

For those who bought LTs at the beginning, they've been playing for free (unless they buy C-store stuff) for a while now. If the life of the game exceeds the number of months it takes to "pay off" the LT (at $15.00 a month), then lifers are in the best position of any player, especially given the monthly stipend of CS points.

Basically, those purchasing LT subs are indeed taking a risk, but if the game lasts enough months (and remains fun for those players), the risk will have been worthwhile.

I'm a Founder and Lifetimer in LOTRO and have never regretted it. As a Lifetimer in STO (on sale, not full price), I haven't regretted it yet, although there have been a few close brushes, especially recently. I have a few months to go before I hit that magical break-even point, but I'm still enjoying most of the game so there's definitely a chance the risk will have been worth it.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    oh and then to top it off...if it wasnt enough that people pay these high prices to play monthly for new available items instead of making them free, they want to charge you more money from the C store...funny...they take our subscription money and use it to develop in game items that are suppose to be free (thats why we pay subscription fees i thought) to try and make more money..corporate greed as overcome the gaming industry and profiteering in this country has hit an all time high.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Ender2010 wrote: »
    oh and then to top it off...if it wasnt enough that people pay these high prices to play monthly for new available items instead of making them free, they want to charge you more money from the C store...funny...they take our subscription money and use it to develop in game items that are suppose to be free (thats why we pay subscription fees i thought) to try and make more money..corporate greed as overcome the gaming industry and profiteering in this country has hit an all time high.

If it doesn't seem like a good deal to you.. don't buy one?

I bought mine during beta, because I know how I play games. I play for a few hours at a time, a couple of times a month. Paying MONTHLY makes no sense for someone like me, who would have a hard time justifying the cost of the subscription when I only played a little last month, and money was tight this month. Paying a lump sum meant that I could access the game any time, without HAVING to pay another dime into the system.

As for the CStore.. well that's another matter. And with the "Free-to-Play" launch, I'll be a gold member for life.. meaning that I'll receive 400cpoints a month, to spend in the CStore.

Was it a good investment in January 2009? I think so.

You're free to decide what to do with your own money tho.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    The one good thing about F2P is that they will keep the game alive as long as they are making money.

I myself have a Lifetime Subscription and have played just about two years and I honestly feel that I have more than gotten my money’s worth ;) Everything else is gravy to me and now that I can accumulate Cryptic Points while I play and of course the 400cpoints a month, I will be able to get free things every month.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ...corporate greed as overcome the gaming industry and profiteering in this country has hit an all time high.
    Oh??? As the saying goes... 'Greed is Good!' Keep in mind that if it wasn't for the desire to produce $$$ STO, (or any of the other MMRPGs that are out there...) wouldn't even exist... Its time to accept reality and get over it....

(And as far as 'free' in-game items goes, I very much like the Android BO I received this week as part of the 700 Day Veterans Reward... Thank you very much!!!)
  • Options
    edited December 2011

(And as far as 'free' in-game items goes, I very much like the Android BO I received this week as part of the 700 Day Veterans Reward... Thank you very much!!!)

Looking forward to mine too - 18 days to go. Is it per character or per account?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Got my LTS during beta, and at a discount. Suffice it to say that I got my money's worth.
    Varlo wrote:
    Looking forward to mine too - 18 days to go. Is it per character or per account?

Per account. Dagnabbit Cryptic! <shakes fist>. Making me buy extra BO slots for the android! ;)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Varlo wrote:

The Android Boff is one-per-character, account-wide, and is reclaimable if you dismiss him (or use him to train other boffs).
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Varlo wrote:
    Its an Account wide unlock!!! And to claim it, each character needs to go to the BO Requistion Officer Store and 'purchase' it (for 0 costs) under the 'Special Officers' tab...
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya well like i said i just today got a month more to check out and see if anything (good) has changed...i do know pvp was a spawn camping joke and for a "MMO" i was expecting something different in a pvp not a mainly pve with a side in pvp...was expecting a free roam sector in which people could enter has a team and battle it out for starbases/planets, not a join a multiplayer match like a regular multiplayer game...and its not even massive...its few pvp's. Anyways, prices are way too high for something this underdeveloped and misleading...need to cut them in half...it hasnt gotten that good of reviews from gaming industries to justify these high of prices.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Its an Account wide unlock!!! And to claim it, each character needs to go to the BO Requistion Officer Store and 'purchase' it (for 0 costs) under the 'Special Officers' tab...

Cool. Cheers :)
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya well like i said i just today got a month more to check out and see if anything (good) has changed...i do know pvp was a spawn camping joke and for a "MMO" i was expecting something different in a pvp not a mainly pve with a side in pvp...was expecting a free roam sector in which people could enter has a team and battle it out for starbases/planets, not a join a multiplayer match like a regular multiplayer game...and its not even massive...its few pvp's. Anyways, prices are way too high for something this underdeveloped and misleading...need to cut them in half...it hasnt gotten that good of reviews from gaming industries to justify these high of prices.

Can we have your stuff?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    ya well like i said i just today got a month more to check out and see if anything (good) has changed...i do know pvp was a spawn camping joke and for a "MMO" i was expecting something different in a pvp not a mainly pve with a side in pvp...was expecting a free roam sector in which people could enter has a team and battle it out for starbases/planets, not a join a multiplayer match like a regular multiplayer game...and its not even massive...its few pvp's. Anyways, prices are way too high for something this underdeveloped and misleading...need to cut them in half...it hasnt gotten that good of reviews from gaming industries to justify these high of prices

you fail big time, if you have waited another 25 days you could have come back for free, gz!

The rest of your posts sound like Trolololololol, so iam not gonna respond to that. Everything has been said by others anyway.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You may want to do your math first next time... I myself have had a lifetime sub since launch am therefore have pretty much been playing for free for several months now and have never regretted it
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    STEWIE1701 wrote: »
    You may want to do your math first next time... I myself have had a lifetime sub since launch am therefore have pretty much been playing for free for several months now and have never regretted it

And NO ONE has gotten more out of the game as STEWIE!! I would aloso like to take a moment to hijacke this thread and maroon everyone down on Ceti Alpha V and then mention that STEWIE is not only one of the most active players on STO but he is one of the greatest people I have met in the game..

Prepare to be rescued from the planets surface by the USS Enterprise in a few days....
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Varlo wrote:

Per character.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Armsman wrote: »
    Per character.

Subscribed For: 685.90 days
    *rubs hands together
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    let me be clear, paying ANY of these overpriced subscription fees are repetitive as the game itself...like i said before when i bought the game almost 2 years ago i got the 1 month free...realized how repetitive the game was and didnt renew my subscription, now nearly 2 years later I have paid for just 1 more month...now in this month I will probably find not much has changed in 2 years (what did they do with all those subscription fees? probably didnt mainly go to development) and then I will cancel it at end of month disappointed again that everything is still so repetitive. So ya paying month to month is a waste but giving that much money upfront thinking you'll be playing this game 5 years down the road is a laugh...and also a laugh they say "lifetime" but then in small print under says for as long as the game is in development.

Seeing as how I got the lifetime sub during the beta, and have played the game non-stop since then...

Lets see here *grabs caculator* Feb 2010 to Now... 22 months. 15*22 $330 dollars. I bought my lifetime sub for about $249. 199/15 Break even point is 16.6 months...

I have saved $81 dollars, yea... Im a dummy.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Sollaf wrote: »
    Seeing as how I got the lifetime sub during the beta, and have played the game non-stop since then...

Lets see here *grabs caculator* Feb 2010 to Now... 22 months. 15*22 $330 dollars. I bought my lifetime sub for about $199. 199/15 Break even point is 13.26 months...

I have saved $131 dollars, yea... Im a dummy.

You could now (change your credit card information) and sell the game to someone else for $15/month for the next year and make your money back or just sit back and rake in the c-points ;)

I was a little confused by the dummies comment.. I guess you could say the same thing to someone waiting $30/m on a gym membership. All money down the drain and no entertainment or social value.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    now in this month I will probably find not much has changed in 2 years

This made me laugh.

Yes we have had a content drought since March.

However things that have changed since launch:

Season 1 added high-level content known as Special Task Forces, new ships, additional captain skills and re-specialization, an achievement-based accolade system that grants additional experience points and titles, the first crafting system revamp, and UI improvements

Season 2 included new factions and quadrants, a level-equity system, level cap raised to 51, diplomacy XP and ranks issued for non-combat missions, first contact and diplomacy missions, scanner and Dabo mini-games, retrofit ships for tier 5 vessels and ship interiors. The Feature Episodes also started, arranged in series' with 5 episodes each.

Season 3 focused primarily on bug fixes and UI improvements. Sector Space was completely redone, Pi Canis sector block opened to Klingons, new Klingon quests added, NPC vendors merged and organized, second crafting revamp, new elite loot sets added.

At launch, Season 4 contained the new Ground Combat 'Shooter Mode' and a completely revamped Qo'noS

Season 5 features some considerable changes to Star Trek online as a whole the currency system was reduced from 5; Emblems, Marks, badges, Energy credits and Gold pressed latanum to 3; Energy Credits, Dilithium and Gold pressed latanum

New content:

Borg Invasion of Defera (ground invasion event)
    New ground combat sets (Omega, Elite force, and Honour Guard) Omega is for Natural players and best with Tactical players, Elite force Starfleet only honour guard for Klingon players
    Lore missions Non combat information gathering mission
    Event calendar
    Direct Transwarp to mission system - 100 Energy credit fee for low players and 33,000 for Vice Admirals
    Duty officers - allows you to send collected Doff (not boffs - bridge officers) crew on missions that will aid your game play
    Dilithium Economy replacing Emblems, marks and badge currencies
    Improved content:
    The story line is now threaded but can be skipped but only in order
    Space kill revamp - ex: to be effective in ALL energy weapons you only need to be spec into 1 tab and not several as pre-season 5 players did
    Faster levelling
    Dilithium Exchange – You can trade Dilithium to other players for Cryptic Points
    Mission Journal Upgrade
    Tutorial with optional skip after one play through
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    You could now (change your credit card information) and sell the game to someone else for $15/month for the next year and make your money back or just sit back and rake in the c-points ;)

I was a little confused by the dummies comment.. I guess you could say the same thing to someone waiting $30/m on a gym membership. All money down the drain and no entertainment or social value.

Or continue to have a blast, and rake in the C-points :cool:
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PodSix wrote:
    If it doesn't seem like a good deal to you.. don't buy one?

I bought mine during beta, because I know how I play games. I play for a few hours at a time, a couple of times a month. Paying MONTHLY makes no sense for someone like me, who would have a hard time justifying the cost of the subscription when I only played a little last month, and money was tight this month. Paying a lump sum meant that I could access the game any time, without HAVING to pay another dime into the system.

As for the CStore.. well that's another matter. And with the "Free-to-Play" launch, I'll be a gold member for life.. meaning that I'll receive 400cpoints a month, to spend in the CStore.

Was it a good investment in January 2009? I think so.

You're free to decide what to do with your own money tho.

I did as well and doing so made a lot more sense than a monthly sub. The original message poster also forget the fact that essentially this game is now a Perfect world Entertainment property. As long as they keep renting the IP or Star Trek this game will be around for a long long time. PWE's track record speaks for itself. they never let anything go.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    This made me laugh.

Yes we have had a content drought since March.

However things that have changed since launch:

Season 1 added high-level content known as Special Task Forces, new ships, additional captain skills and re-specialization, an achievement-based accolade system that grants additional experience points and titles, the first crafting system revamp, and UI improvements

Season 2 included new factions and quadrants, a level-equity system, level cap raised to 51, diplomacy XP and ranks issued for non-combat missions, first contact and diplomacy missions, scanner and Dabo mini-games, retrofit ships for tier 5 vessels and ship interiors. The Feature Episodes also started, arranged in series' with 5 episodes each.

Season 3 focused primarily on bug fixes and UI improvements. Sector Space was completely redone, Pi Canis sector block opened to Klingons, new Klingon quests added, NPC vendors merged and organized, second crafting revamp, new elite loot sets added.

At launch, Season 4 contained the new Ground Combat 'Shooter Mode' and a completely revamped Qo'noS

Season 5 features some considerable changes to Star Trek online as a whole the currency system was reduced from 5; Emblems, Marks, badges, Energy credits and Gold pressed latanum to 3; Energy Credits, Dilithium and Gold pressed latanum

New content:

Borg Invasion of Defera (ground invasion event)
    New ground combat sets (Omega, Elite force, and Honour Guard) Omega is for Natural players and best with Tactical players, Elite force Starfleet only honour guard for Klingon players
    Lore missions Non combat information gathering mission
    Event calendar
    Direct Transwarp to mission system - 100 Energy credit fee for low players and 33,000 for Vice Admirals
    Duty officers - allows you to send collected Doff (not boffs - bridge officers) crew on missions that will aid your game play
    Dilithium Economy replacing Emblems, marks and badge currencies
    Improved content:
    The story line is now threaded but can be skipped but only in order
    Space kill revamp - ex: to be effective in ALL energy weapons you only need to be spec into 1 tab and not several as pre-season 5 players did
    Faster levelling
    Dilithium Exchange – You can trade Dilithium to other players for Cryptic Points
    Mission Journal Upgrade
    Tutorial with optional skip after one play through
    Also the first person ground shooter mode.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    defendra wrote:
    Also the first person ground shooter mode.

It was listed in Season 4 updates
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Or continue to have a blast, and rake in the C-points :cool:

LOL

I honestly thought I included that! That is simply it with me. I love to play and I love to rank up and re-try missions.

I think where I am also lucky is that I am only able to get on a couple of times a week and when I was unfortunately, going through a sad (real life) situation, I didn’t mind not playing for a couple of months. No pressure to play the game b/c I had a monthly subscription and I was able to come on once or twice a month without feeling guilty. It gave me something to look forward to for when life was a little better for me.
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    PodSix wrote:
    The Android Boff is one-per-character, account-wide, and is reclaimable if you dismiss him (or use him to train other boffs).
    What BO Abilities does he come with?
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    What BO Abilities does he come with?

The Android BO Skills are nothing to write home about, roughly equivalent to a Rare Engineering BO. (I very quickly retrained my Android with more powerful and useful Skills) so he/she/it is not that useful as a source of 'Train Up' skills... However, those Ground BO Traits!!! (e.g. 'Reboot', after being killed, has the ability to come back to life with 1/2 hit points)

Edit: Aha!!! Someone has already made a STOWiki entry on the creature... http://www.stowiki.org/Starfleet_Android_Engineering_Officer_Candidate