What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Skill Planner Released

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Hmm would Reverse Shield Polarity do much for a Galaxy retrofit in PvP or in general?

I don't use a Cruiser that much nor do a play a lot of PvP, but Cruisers have strong shields. I don't think Reverse Shield Polarity is completely necessary for a Cruiser. Maybe use something like Aux Power to Shields instead. Also get stronger shields. If you find that your shields are still too weak then go ahead and use Reverse Shield Polarity.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    New Update!

The skill planner received a slight UI change, mainly with the toolbar. The button for the notepad has been moved next to the Rank dropdown menu. There is a new button called Description which lets you give a description to the build. This is mainly used for a new page on the site:

We now have a Build Sharing page!! Its about time :D. If you are a member of the site you can share your builds and give it a description. This page is still slightly under construction but it is functioning fine.

Currently there are no builds being shared. I will try to create a few to get started, but with my tight schedule I don't know when I will get to it. I urge anyone who has time to either create a build and share it or share one you already created.

If you run into any problems try refreshing / reloading the page first. If the problem still exists just let me know. Enjoy!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Big Fixes:
    Instead of making another reply I'll just add this on. I fixed a bug where BOff abilities weren't highlighting when you viewed a save link. There was another bug that caused BOff abilities to not be set up when loading from a file. Attack Pattern Delta III wasn't working correctly, but now its a-ok. Descriptions for builds are saved to the files as well.

I will be adding:
    - The ability to rename your builds in the My Account page (probably this week)
    - The ability to share your build even if you don't have an account on STO Academy. This will only be possible when saving a build and you won't be able to remove it later on. With an account you can share at any time and can remove it at any time.

Build Sharing:
    Also the build sharing page looks better now and I hope to see more builds being shared. I want to gather a huge database of builds for people to look at and get ideas from. Shared builds now have what I call the Medal system. You can give a build a medal if you like it. This is to help people find really good builds. Think of it as the Facebook Like button or the Google +1 button.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Thanks for the hard work :D
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Roach wrote: »
    Thanks for the hard work :D

Glad to be of service :D
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    With the changes being made to the skill tree on Tribble I'm sure some of you are wondering what will happen to the Skill Planner. I will definitely be updating the planner to reflect what happens in the game. However I am sure you are all wondering what will happen to your currently saved builds. This is my plan:
    • Release a beta version of the skill planner with the new changes to work out any bugs.
    • When the skill tree changes are released on Holodeck I will make the beta version the official skill planner.
    • The "old" skill planner will be moved to a different URL so you can still access all of your old builds.
    • Any old build will not work with the new planner. This means everyone will have to recreate their builds, just like it will be done in the game (sorry).

If anyone has questions, suggestions, or comments feel free to reply with them.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Once Again. Thanks for all your hard work.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Hey Your planer is great. I just want to know if you have any plans to do another for the new space skill tree?
    I hope you can do it before they push it to holo.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Once Again. Thanks for all your hard work.

And once again, you're welcome :D
    Gurga wrote:
    Hey Your planer is great. I just want to know if you have any plans to do another for the new space skill tree?
    I hope you can do it before they push it to holo.

Read my post above Roach's ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    attilio wrote: »
    With the changes being made to the skill tree on Tribble I'm sure some of you are wondering what will happen to the Skill Planner. I will definitely be updating the planner to reflect what happens in the game.

Have I told you, lately, that I love you?

But in a purely logical way. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    latimer wrote: »
    Have I told you, lately, that I love you?

But in a purely logical way. :D

LOL you only love me for my skill planner
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Here it is, the first test of the updated skill planner (Version 4.0.0 Beta). The list of changes:
    • The skill tree and skill points reflects what is in Tribble.
    • Added devices which will highlight any skills that affect them.
    • Updated the ship list with all the Starfleet and Klingon ships that are on Holodeck.
    • Some back-end changes to make it run better.

http://www.stoacademy.com/tools/skillplannertest/

Let the bug hunt begin!

QUICK UPDATE
    I moved the ship selection to the left side of the screen (makes more sense here) and also made the devices selection look nicer.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The new test skill tree planner.

PSW, the icon for it is "x'ed" out.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The new test skill tree planner.

PSW, the icon for it is "x'ed" out.

Thanks, I'll look into it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The PSW icon has been missing in the past few revisions of this. However, great job with this, both past and the new beta revision!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    JCSWW wrote: »
    The PSW icon has been missing in the past few revisions of this. However, great job with this, both past and the new beta revision!

yes, I am sorry that I forgot to say that.

Thanks Attillo!!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    For the dcevice slots. One of the things I use regularly isn't listed. Not sure if any skills actually impact how well it works but the Subspace Field Modulator was what I thought was missing from the list.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    there is no device slot for subspace field modulator. not sure how many people actually use it, but i am one of the few.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    The Skill Planner beta has 50 points too many (72,750). The ingame skill planner only has 72,700.

Edit: I wasn't aware I'd have to earn tthis extra 50 points on copies toons. It doesn't state anywhere ingame when I'm told to respec that I need to earn the last 50 points to make it upto 72,750. A simple little bulletin would of been nice when the respec window pops up but no.... That would make bloody sense! :mad:
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    For the dcevice slots. One of the things I use regularly isn't listed. Not sure if any skills actually impact how well it works but the Subspace Field Modulator was what I thought was missing from the list.
    there is no device slot for subspace field modulator. not sure how many people actually use it, but i am one of the few.

I have and use it as well. As far as I can tell, no skills affect it which is why I didn't put it in the list. I can easily add it to the list if people want to see it there.

If anyone knows what skills affect it please let me know so I can add it to the planner. Thanks.
    The Skill Planner beta has 50 points too many (72,750). The ingame skill planner only has 72,700.

Edit: I wasn't aware I'd have to earn tthis extra 50 points on copies toons. It doesn't state anywhere ingame when I'm told to respec that I need to earn the last 50 points to make it upto 72,750. A simple little bulletin would of been nice when the respec window pops up but no.... That would make bloody sense! :mad:

Yeah I didn't know at first either, but I eventually read about it on the forums. I think it was even stated in one of the F2P dev blogs.

Quick Note to Everyone I am away from home for the rest of the week so I probably won't be rolling out any updates until next week. Keep up the testing and thanks for everyone who is trying it out!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    These forums aren't always the easiest place th find answers and those dev blogs are about as interesting as being as rubbing my eyes with sandpaper. I'll start reading the blogs when the ACTING Executive Producer gets some PR and writing skills.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    When selecting Science skills, nothing highlights for Exothermic Induction Field.

Edit: No bridge officer slots show when selecting a Reconnaissance Science Vessel also.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    When selecting Science skills, nothing highlights for Exothermic Induction Field.

Edit: No bridge officer slots show when selecting a Reconnaissance Science Vessel also.

Thanks. Will look into it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Sorry it took so long to do the bug fixes.

The PSW icon should be showing now.
    I added the Subspace Field Modulator but I don't know what skills affect it so nothing highlights.
    The Recon Science Vessel should be showing bridge officer and device slots now.
    Exothermic Induction Field now highlights the correct skills.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Great work! Going to check it out later one when I've got a bit of free time to play with it.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have and use it as well. As far as I can tell, no skills affect it which is why I didn't put it in the list. I can easily add it to the list if people want to see it there.

If anyone knows what skills affect it please let me know so I can add it to the planner. Thanks.

Yeah I didn't know at first either, but I eventually read about it on the forums. I think it was even stated in one of the F2P dev blogs.

Quick Note to Everyone I am away from home for the rest of the week so I probably won't be rolling out any updates until next week. Keep up the testing and thanks for everyone who is trying it out!

makes sense. the only reason i said anything about it is for the defense boost it gives us- makes sense that if none of the skills affect it it wouldnt be in. thanks for clearing that up.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    When I was playing with a KDF VA Engineer, I didn't get any of the device boxes showing up for the Qin Raptor or for any KDF ship I tried.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    makes sense. the only reason i said anything about it is for the defense boost it gives us- makes sense that if none of the skills affect it it wouldnt be in. thanks for clearing that up.

I added it in now so at least people can have it as a reference.
    When I was playing with a KDF VA Engineer, I didn't get any of the device boxes showing up for the Qin Raptor or for any KDF ship I tried.

Oh shoot. I completely forgot to go through the KDF ships and add the device slots in. Thanks for pointing that out. I'll work on it and release sometime within the next 4 or 5 hours.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    And once again, you're welcome :D

Read my post above Roach's ;)

:o
    Oops. I did a reply to your first post. So I never had seen that post. Thanks for the work.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Apologies if any of these have already been mentioned:
    1. Boarding Party III (Cmdr level skill) is missing from the Commander Engineering Station
    2. Typo in the description for Starship Sensors: "This skill also grants resistance... and Jam Sesnors"
    3. Graphics for Engineering Team, Science Team are still the old graphics.

As always, excellent work on this skill planner.