Install Arc
Options

F2P - prepare yourself!

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    strange that the 1 Emblem dailies gave 480 dilithium BEFORE Merits were "phased out"....
    and why do all other missions that rewarded Merits before now give NO dilithium at all?

and a source for your numbers would be nice, not that i wouldn't want to believe you, but where does this come from?

The only source is the conversion numbers people have posted which as far as I can determine only work with those numbers. Clearly people are being given dilithium for merits in the current conversion and I'll stick with my numbers. Using current mission rewards on Tribble is bad form although my conversion works with it. If the mission reward was determinitive that would mean that all they need to do is lower the daily missions to reward only 300 dilithium and leave the conversion as it currently is and you should be happy and think you're getting a good deal. :eek:

I don't know why they decided not to have all missions give some dilithium, but the fact that EC partially replaced merits in addition to dilithium probably factors into it. And, it could still change.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Good list, should be helpful for others and is more or less identical with my own quick notes to be prepaired for the "new gaming experience". Thanks alot for writing it down.

Edit: I vote for a sticky :D
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Inspired wrote: »
    lower the daily missions to reward only 300 dilithium and leave the conversion as it currently is and you should be happy and think you're getting a good deal. :eek:

correct... BUT in that case, they would need to readjust all of the Vendors... again.

...you know what, let me check something real fast...

Holodeck / Tribble (Emblem / Dilithium Vendor in center of ESD)

Antiproton Pistol/Rifle/Assault : 25 Emblems / 11,350 dilithium
    Ship Projectile Weapons : 30 Emblems / 22,620 dilithium

11350 / 25 = 454 dilithium per emblem
    22620 / 30 = 754 dilithium per emblem

hmmmh...
    ok...
    sooo... that does NOT add up with the 3 hundred something we get converted,
    but not with the 480 from the daily either.

still, under the line
    your Emblems loose buying power, so better get spending now.

...or don't... if you want to try to sell that dilithium for C-Points
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Already crafted 106 mk XI phasers. I may not have the inventory space to spend my emblems on more now.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    correct... BUT in that case, they would need to readjust all of the Vendors... again.

...you know what, let me check something real fast...

Holodeck / Tribble (Emblem / Dilithium Vendor in center of ESD)

Antiproton Pistol/Rifle/Assault : 25 Emblems / 11,350 dilithium
    Ship Projectile Weapons : 30 Emblems / 22,620 dilithium

11350 / 25 = 454 dilithium per emblem
    22620 / 30 = 754 dilithium per emblem

hmmmh...
    ok...
    sooo... that does NOT add up with the 3 hundred something we get converted,
    but not with the 480 from the daily either.

still, under the line
    your Emblems loose buying power, so better get spending now.

...or don't... if you want to try to sell that dilithium for C-Points

They've clearly still increased the prices, and if they don't further reduce them (which they very well could) it'll be a good idea to get anything a players wants to buy before rather than after the update. I suspect that they will actually keep the prices somewhat higher to account for the increased ways to get dilithium over the old currencies (excluding merits/honor which couldn't buy items). Just the DOff system alone is a significant source.

It would be like if they had implemented the DOff system on holodeck giving out emblems and to compensate for the additional source they raised the prices. Hard to do without giving the players a warning, but we've gotten that now. The thing that really makes all this more complicated is the dilithium ore conversion cap.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    maina wrote: »
    Yes, practical, helpful information.
    • Get any Alt that still has 250 emblems listed from vet rewards to max level so they convert. (Just a precaution).
    • Save/earn all badges and such from explores you can. Now is the time to work on those accolades. They transfer to dilith.
    • Don't panic or listen to every doomsayer on the forums. Most have never play'd a F2P game, or if they have it's a new attempt and not one from a established model.
    • Fleet crafters are just a title, it has always been better to teach someone to fish than give them dinner.
    • #1 Realize most of the people crying have max ranked and fully equiped toons that are unaffected by any changes. Like me, only if they make a new character do they have to deal with this. They complain for the sake of new players they don't know, or for the hypothetical Fleet members who don't care enough to post themselves. It's funny really.

I have played a major F2P game which was the namesake of the company currently in charge of Cryptic. I speak from experience in saying that you best be prepared because the more that company has its way the more you will be hosed in the conversion because that is their standard policy.

Do not be so sure you are completely safe just because you have reached VA and have what you assume is all the gear you want. In the end you may find that this gear is out dated and you will need far better equipment that will institute a long grind for you. Also a number of us are looking out for those who have not gotten as high as us or are actually newer to the game because we care how the new blood is treated.

Having a fleet crafter is definitely worthwhile. It saves a lot on having to harvest a fairly significant amount of anomalies in order to work up each character. Adding Dilithium to the mix is just silly. If you are just going to be forced to buy your gear anyway why not just do away with crafting altogether? Right now it will just be a discount like saying "I want a gun." "Ok, that will be 300 bucks." "Well I will supply you with the steel for the gun." "Alright, then that will be 200 bucks." ...? I mean that happened a bit in times of old but since when does that happen in modern times?

Also, you are making the big assumption that the Dilithium to C-Store points trade will be effective which is questionable. The trade may be readily available but it may not. If very few are willing to part with their C-Store points you could see insane Dilithium prices for 1 C-Store point. To give you an example, in PWI they allow you to buy Gold (C-Store Point) with Coin (EC essentially) on a player to player exchange that is like an Acution house. There it takes around 1 Mil Coin to get 1 Gold if you are lucky. (And coin can come at a real premium for many characters) You cannot do much with 1 Gold so of course to get much of anything you want you will need Hundreds of Millions of Coin. Do keep that in mind because the exchange for Dilithium to C-Store Points could be very similar and if Cryptic tries to regulate how many Dilithium can be traded per Point the Point holders may decide it is not worth such a low amount and not give up their Points.

In general I would advise against Panicking. Taking proper precautions and watching Tribble are very advisable however. I also disagree that things on Tribble are set in stone and unlikely to change but I would add that they will not change unless you constructively point out what is wrong, what you want, and what you would suggest as a fix in a civil manner. Simply put: The Devs are not psychic and cannot predict exactly what would be best in the eyes of their Customers but they are smart enough to have ASKED you what you want so please tell them. Yelling at them though will not help because then they do not know what you want just that you are angry.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    """" Tier 3 Excelsior and Nebula Class, buy them NOW, the Ships will only be available through the C-Store
    if you buy them now for Energy Credits you get to keep them!
    more importantly, their Special Abilities are changed into Consoles (just like all the other Tier x.5 Ships).
    So get those 2 Ships NOW for EC while you can, you can discard the Ships after F2P and keep the Consoles in you Bank or put them on your Tier 5 Ship, that is up to you. But who is going to say no to a *free* Transwarp Console? """""

What are those 2 Ship you talk about ? can you tell me there name please, and Does the Klingon have those equivalent ship ? i would like to know and buy them before F2P anyone can help me please =)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    IAlso, you are making the big assumption that the Dilithium to C-Store points trade will be effective which is questionable. The trade may be readily available but it may not. If very few are willing to part with their C-Store points you could see insane Dilithium prices for 1 C-Store point.
    I believe Cryptic is aware of this, and that forcing the game into a state where this exchange "works" is a primary motive of most of the changes they're making. In particular, the skill tree revamp / global power nerf, along with a bunch of other, less obvious seeming recent changes, are all aimed at greatly increasing the demand for blue gear at all levels (which will be achieved by greatly increasing the amount of suck you have to put up with if you do not have this gear).

This, I believe, will come as probably the biggest and rudest surprise yet to people who have played the game for a long time. But one way or another, they have to force the game into a state where there is high demand for the newly reitemized blue / purple DL-priced gear, in order to pull $$$ into the game from people buying C-Points to buy DL to get this gear. Without that demand, the exchange is basically a nonstarter, because you have tons of people who want to trade time (DL) for C-Store toys, and nobody who wants to trade $$$ for dilithium priced kit.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    I believe Cryptic is aware of this, and that forcing the game into a state where this exchange "works" is a primary motive of most of the changes they're making. In particular, the skill tree revamp / global power nerf, along with a bunch of other, less obvious seeming recent changes, are all aimed at greatly increasing the demand for blue gear at all levels (which will be achieved by greatly increasing the amount of suck you have to put up with if you do not have this gear).

This, I believe, will come as probably the biggest and rudest surprise yet to people who have played the game for a long time. But one way or another, they have to force the game into a state where there is high demand for the newly reitemized blue / purple DL-priced gear, in order to pull $$$ into the game from people buying C-Points to buy DL to get this gear. Without that demand, the exchange is basically a nonstarter, because you have tons of people who want to trade time (DL) for C-Store toys, and nobody who wants to trade $$$ for dilithium priced kit.

That's one possiblity; although one which makes little sense to me. If the goal was to "effectively sell" blue and purple gear they could much easier just sell +1 gear on the C-Store. I see no reason not to believe their stated goal of creating a viable dilithium/C-Store exchange because it is more efficient if players are better able to get what they want easily rather than being stuck holding what they don't want.

Furthermore, for your scenario to make any sense they had better get the update in pretty soon that reverses the huge purple gear reward giveaway that was implemented in game not too long ago. If you're really suggesting that crafting or dilithium are looking to be the required way to get blue or purple gear, you might want to wait for at least the slightest indication of that.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Inspired wrote: »
    That's one possiblity; although one which makes little sense to me. If the goal was to "effectively sell" blue and purple gear they could much easier just sell +1 gear on the C-Store. I see no reason not to believe their stated goal of creating a viable dilithium/C-Store exchange because it is more efficient if players are better able to get what they want easily rather than being stuck holding what they don't want.
    They can't create a "viable diliithium/C-Store exchange" unless there is demand on both sides of that trade. Wtihout a reasonably balanced level of demand on both sides, this "market" is dead before it's born. You will have 1,000,000 DL to 1 CP exchange rates, and nobody will bother even trying to grind for CP at that level. There has to be an active market of people who can bear to farm the DL to buy CP, and there have to be enough people who want to put $$$ into the game world to get what you can buy with DL (as opposed to just what you can buy with C-Points).

There is plausible demand from some number of people who will want to buy DL (time) priced C-Store toys. But historically, and at the moment, there is absolutely zero demand for $$$ (money) priced blue and purple gear. That stuff just isn't "needed" in order to get by, and it has zero bragging rights or bling appeal, so there is no reason anyone will want to spend real life $$$ on it. They're certainly not going to make the C-Store stuff any less appealing; so their only choice is to make blue and purple DL gear more appealing (which means, effectively, making the game suck a whole lot more without it).

If all they wanted to do is sell C-Store gear, they would have removed all even Mk and non-white gear from the game economy entirely and moved it all over to C-Store. But they haven't done that, and they're not showing any signs of giving up on this DL<->CP trade system. In order to make it work, they're going to have to do what it takes to balance the demand, and it's obvious what that will be. (It's also obvious that's exactly what they're working on doing, if you take all the changes and look at their effects together.)
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Heezdedjim wrote:
    But historically, and at the moment, there is absolutely zero demand for $$$ (money) priced blue and purple gear. That stuff just isn't "needed" in order to get by, and it has zero bragging rights or bling appeal, so there is no reason anyone will want to spend real life $$$ on it.

This is where I disagree. You argue that people won't spend money for these items. But, they will and do currently spend alot of time grinding for these very same items. And, since we know that there are people who will substitute spending money for grinding if they can, it follows that nothing needs to change but the opportunity for them to trade money for dilithium.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    wrote:
    This is where I disagree. You argue that people won't spend money for these items. But, they will and do currently spend alot of time grinding for these very same items. And, since we know that there are people who will substitute spending money for grinding if they can, it follows that nothing needs to change but the opportunity for them to trade money for dilithium.
    They grind because they can. They still want the gear, but not _that_ much that they would necessarily buy it on the store. Many people grind for this gear because they PvP and want to be certain they have the best gear (even though it has a fairly low effect overall on your character's success, it has some.)

Up the difficulty of the game, and you will have more people looking for the rare types of gear. Even casuals, that suddenly find the game harder to level without it.. And a casual player may say: "Okay, I am not gonna grind this. NO time for that. But hey, it's just 5 Bucks and I can have the gear I need. This one time I can spend some money on this free game."
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I grinded on my KDF sci really hardcore and I transfered that one over and I got chump change when I saw how it was converted i had around 130k honor/merits left over after i burned a lot of it up and had around 50 emblems left after my last character shopping spree and a ton of badges and such and I was like whoa foul or whatever. The 50 emblems was pretty much all I got in the coversion but I have done the math on how they are doing this new system because the current system with KDF you could do 2 sorties which gave 4 emblems every 30 minutes. So basically with dilithium cap the trade off is only 16 emblems per day maximum so instead of doing harcore grinding and getting enough in a week to get a C-Store ship it will take between 1 to 2 months to get these and that is if people are actually buying C points to trade with you. A lot of this I believe is just to get paying customers playing to prepare for it so they do more playing and less griping to make sure they have all that stuff trained/speced/bought before they lose out. I wouldn't be suprised if we get a reach around when it goes live and lose all of our tier 3-5 ships that we had not purchased out of the c-store already. Trust me if they see people doing things like this to try to work a way around the system they will make sure its stopped because its all about making that $$$ and not about customer relations (the positive relations type).
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    They grind because they can. They still want the gear, but not _that_ much that they would necessarily buy it on the store. Many people grind for this gear because they PvP and want to be certain they have the best gear (even though it has a fairly low effect overall on your character's success, it has some.)

Up the difficulty of the game, and you will have more people looking for the rare types of gear. Even casuals, that suddenly find the game harder to level without it.. And a casual player may say: "Okay, I am not gonna grind this. NO time for that. But hey, it's just 5 Bucks and I can have the gear I need. This one time I can spend some money on this free game."
    This. The trick is (right now) you cap out at VA1, and you don't actually need any of the shiny stuff to do anything you want to do. Even in PvP, a good team will kick the TRIBBLE out of a poor team even if the good team is running 100% white common Mk IX trash gear. The shiny stuff is nice to have, but it's not need to have. So people don't feel any pressure to have the shiny stuff right now. And there is no reason at all to bother getting it while you're leveling, because it just gets thrown away.

If leveling suddenly takes twice as long and sucks twice as much the whole time, THEN people will start paying money to grease the wheels. And if they get to the level cap and find out they have six months of grind to go before they do anything fun, THEN they will start forking over the $$$ to get to the finish line faster. As it is right now, people are perfectly happy to just coast along and get stuff as they get it, because gearing up is just another thing to pass the time.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I would much rather have STO launch Star Trek Babies Online then F2P
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    OP: An Excellent posting full of great advice...
    Woe to those that do not follow it...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well as of yesterday, my RA and VA ship tokens are still present on my transferred character. And I was able to purchase the 3 VA ships in the C-Store.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    we have a Halloween 20% sale the next few days...
    i just compared the 20% sale prices to the ones on Tribble

these are the things you will want to buy because they get more expensive:

Venture 640 CP vs. 1200 CP ...now or never!
    Vor'Kang (Vor'cha Refit Tier 4) is also 640 CP @ Holodeck, should cost the same as the Venture on Tribble, but the page for it is completely bugged and priced at Tier 3 with a wrong ship name, i fully expect it to be 1200 CP like the Venture once they fix the Tribble C-Store.

all VA1 Ships FED+KDF 960 CP vs. 1600 CP ...still expensive (especially if you would want to buy them all) but it won't get any cheaper then now... your choice, i won't.

MVAM Prometheus 960 CP vs. 2000 CP ....now or never !!!

Ship Skins 128 CP vs. 320 CP ...now or never!

what you should NOT buy:
    those should get cheaper despite the 20% sale:

Rhode Island
    640 CP Holodeck vs. 400 CP Tribble

Constitution Class (presumably also NX-01 and Oberth)
    640 CP Holodeck vs. 240 CP Tribble
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    As for the C-Store, I just noticed pets have been added to Tribble test server. There's a slight change however - they are not only more expensive, but also not account wide.

Basically they will be similar to Aenar and Caitian boffs, in a sense that unless they're bound you can trade them or even put them on exchange. No re-claims.

These items include space pets (runabout, shuttles), ground pets (sehlat) and tribbles (gold, borg, fluidic).

What is more, they now cost 160CP for just one of them.

I already created a separate thread on Tribble section here, as I'm not sure what will happen with our current purchases and pre-orders. Will we still be able to re-claim our pets and tribbles as many times as we want on all out characters? Cryptic claimed that nothing we purchased is going to be taken away from us, but I'd still like to be sure.

Regardless, ~96CP now on account-wide pets vs 160CP on Tribble's single item unlock. Get your tribbles and kitties now if you want to.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Thanks for the list.

I knew about a fair portion of it but there were some shockers that I need to add to my shopping list.
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    That 400 C-POints stipend seems to get worth less and less...
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    I just crafted a ton of blue and purple gear at lower levels. After F2P...well, the stuff is going to be worth more than it is now. I'm hoping a lot, but ya never know. And if nothing else, I'll definately break even.

I'm also collecting gear from replaysremember how they changed the CRM 200? Such things, while unlikely, are still possible. So gear up while you can.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Maybe add in (even thou the Badge/Mark/Emblem conversion is not so great) that if you think you might still wanna craft after F2P-Day, that you should get to grinding those Badges/Marks/Emblems for the character you want to be your "Main Crafter", so he/she has plenty to work with afterwards.

Otherwise, Great List!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    i don't think anybody missed the discussion over the weekend
    but for the record i added "C-Store Tribbles + Pets" to the opening post.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    - Respec
    If you are out of Free Respec Tokens, make sure one last time that your Skills are sitting in the right spot.

Unfortunetly I'm very bad at _Math_ so I can't comment on the conversions , but the thingy above just caught my eye as being incorrect (IMHO) .

In fact , as I see it , the exact opposite is true .
    Your skills (as per the current skill tree) are going to be a thing of the past .
    They won't exist anymore , and if they will exist , they won't matter .

The whole game will be run and balanced to the New Skilltree -- which IMO means that you will have to respec , again (and possibly again) to get the maximum of the New System .

And that means that you should save as many Respec Tokens as you can for the New System , so you can fine tune your New Skilltree again and again and again , until you get the desired result that you can live with .

Blowing your Respec Tokens on a skilltree that won't matter ... does not sound all that smart to me (again IMHO) ;) .

Your mileage may vary . :)
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Aelfwin wrote: »
    Blowing your Respec Tokens on a skilltree that won't matter ... does not sound all that smart to me (again IMHO) ;) .

Your mileage may vary . :)

Z3ro said if you are out of them, remember. There will be no non-token way to respec once f2p hits, and the merit/dilithium conversion rate is vanishingly poor, so one may as well.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Z3ro said if you are out of them, remember. There will be no non-token way to respec once f2p hits, and the merit/dilithium conversion rate is vanishingly poor, so one may as well.

I am willing to agree to your argument however it defies the simple logic of the OP who urged us to 'respec one last time" .
    Or else how whould you explain :
    make sure one last time that your Skills are sitting in the right spot

As in -- if you're out of Respec Tokens -- HOW are you supposed to make sure that "your Skills are sitting in the right spot" ?

As I said , I agree with you that it could have been better worded , but I believe that the OP's post intended to urge players to "respec now" -- and that is not a good thing IMHO , as we will all have to respec later anyway .
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    with Merits of course...

also the Skilltree revamp is only partially implemented with F2P launch (ships only at first)

the ground revamp and splitting ground+space will be at a later date AFTER F2P launch, and only at that point a Free Respec Token was promised.

that is all in flux and may take some serious time

making sure your skills sit right if you can spend those *phased out* valueless merits for it...
    makes sense to me.

//updated the Tier 3 Excelsior + Nebula section as the text no longer applies if you had bought the Tier 5 versions in the C-Store.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Also, based on what we are seeing so far:

*Bank space gear.

*Do not spend emblems on personal gear. These seem to be going down in price significantly.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    i suppose the latest info with the skill revamp on tribble now would be to NOT buy any consoles because they change significantly and may have complete different functionality later or may even be obsolete.

also the skillchange is more severe then i expected, the whole respec one last time thing is out the window now...