test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

CFO of Perfect World Announces STO F2P this year.

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited September 2011
    Ashki wrote:
    I sure hope so, cause I'm holding off on doing my KDF side LP until they do cause as it stands, the KDF is still pretty bare bones. Granted, it's better then it was, but still nothing compared to the UFP side.

.......LP?
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Valias wrote:
    So I reckon this means a monthly C-Point stipend for Lifers and more content in the store to spend it on. If it turns out like Champs, I have no problem with that. :P

I say the same and if it is just like champs, Bring it on hell ya free to play!!!:D
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Something is telling me though that Cryptic will stop caring about well....the game itself when it goes F2P, and will follow the "what will make us even more money" path... :(

Let's see if they introduce map packs for PvP like in other games. Maybe we'll get some new ones finally. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    SnogE00F wrote:
    Let's see if they introduce map packs for PvP like in other games. Maybe we'll get some new ones finally. :)

I'd rather not have more C-Store.... :(

STO is truely dead if things like that start to go on C-store.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    TripQue wrote: »
    I, for one, welcome our new F2P overlords....so long as they don't turn into P2W overlords.

Here Here!!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Maps, sectors and systems should never ever be C-store.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Capulet wrote: »
    Maps, sectors and systems should never ever be C-store.

Missions and FE's either.
    .......LP?

Let's Play. I've been doing one of this game and I've been holding off on the KDF side due to the lack of content, that and I'm still busy with the UFP side.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    SnogE00F wrote:

I think Foundry PvP maps are quite likely in the next 8-12 months. The tech in some ways is more complicated but the support is simpler, without having to contend with BO and AI pathing, which is the Foundry's biggest pitfall.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I think Foundry PvP maps are quite likely in the next 8-12 months. The tech in some ways is more complicated but the support is simpler, without having to contend with BO and AI pathing, which is the Foundry's biggest pitfall.

Man I hope so. There are some very creative people out there. I just hope Cryptic can optimize the UI to be less laggy as well. Then perhaps we can do larger PvP arenas. :)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    Yes, but it should make sense. CO's lockout of characters just sucks. I can't unsub and play the same characters while buying stuff for them from the c-store. I have to either roll different characters, or use a 1-time only conversion that destroys their build, and is irreversible. This means that I can't say.. unsubscribe for a month if I'm running into financial issues, and keep playing the same characters. This is bad business IMO, and everyone I know except one person, thinks it's a horrible way to do things.

This right here. Cannot happen in STO. I absolutely despise this in CO. if its unlocked i should be able to use it.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    This right here. Cannot happen in STO. I absolutely despise this in CO. if its unlocked i should be able to use it.

^ This ^ .........
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Buy the slots to keep your characters active in F2P.

Turbine lets you do it. The CO F2P model is loosly based on Turbine's F2P model. They just need to set it up so that if you don't buy the slots, you can at least choose which characters you want to assign to the slots you do have access to.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Speaking of PvP, the F2P will massivly increase the lower Level PvP. Making a Lt. Cmdr. not wait for over an Hour. ( In CO i..E. you wait at Lvl 20 10 Minutes for a match to start)

Until I have not seen all the details i can not be exited about free 2 Play.I need a Matrix to make my mind, right now a am to much afraid of thousands of MMO hoppers that could possibly ruin a lot. In he Forum there is to much Rumor and "Feartalk" going on. We cant know what this means for the Game in Detail.
    On the other Hand i can see a Lot of Star Trek fans joining this Community, previosly unwilling to Pay for the Game

DSTAHL and all of the STO DEV Team leave the impression of Dogs on a short leash, Release this Leash and let them Communicate properly with the Community.
    dstahl wrote: »
    I can neither confirm nor deny anything (until given approval to).
    I hate it when he does that.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Something is telling me though that Cryptic will stop caring about well....the game itself when it goes F2P, and will follow the "what will make us even more money" path... :(

One of the possible growth areas for a free to play system is a robust PVP experience. Which would require a lot more attention being paid to the KDF, to flesh them out.

So you know there's that whole flood of pew-pew-pewers that a lot of subscribers are currently afraid of. The "unwashed masses" as I saw one post term them. But those types and their playstyle could push a lot of development resources towards the KDF since that type of behavior a lot of subs currently are afraid of ... centers around having Klingons and Federation people fight each other.

All of this rampant speculation on my part. But is rooted in that commentary that DStahl made a bit ago about how PW is interested in seeing the KDF expanded.

Ironic that what a lot of posters fear the most about going free to play, could end up saving the KDF from the brink of doom.

Adding to that speculation of mine ... awhile awhile awhile back (maybe a few more awhiles could be added) there was commentary about how KDF items in the C-Store were deemed not profitable enough to bother with. But the latest c-store item is a KDF item. Perhaps this is a visible sign of a turnaround regarding the second faction. That they are hoping for an influx of fresh new free to play players, many of whom want to burninate and pew pew pew their fellow players in PVP, and now KDF are part of the resource allocation a bit more. Which means KDF gets C-Store assets, since the C-Store has been the most consistent barometer of game development in this game's evolution. Klingon Academy Uniform ... our hopes are pinned on your leather chest guard!
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    superchum wrote: »
    One of the possible growth areas for a free to play system is a robust PVP experience. Which would require a lot more attention being paid to the KDF, to flesh them out.

So you know there's that whole flood of pew-pew-pewers that a lot of subscribers are currently afraid of. The "unwashed masses" as I saw one post term them. But those types and their playstyle could push a lot of development resources towards the KDF since that type of behavior a lot of subs currently are afraid of ... centers around having Klingons and Federation people fight each other.

All of this rampant speculation on my part. But is rooted in that commentary that DStahl made a bit ago about how PW is interested in seeing the KDF expanded.

Ironic that what a lot of posters fear the most about going free to play, could end up saving the KDF from the brink of doom.

The only problem there is focusing to much on PvP as I'm not a PvP player, I'm a PvE one and that's what I'd like to see more of on the KDF side.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Aisling wrote:
    I can just see Dan sitting behind his desk as a big metal Toaster with that red light scanning back and forth. lol

I'm picturing him with his hands in a pyramid shape and his glasses reflecting the light so we can't see his eyes.

"I always wanted to do this! Mwahahahaa...."
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ashki wrote:
    The only problem there is focusing to much on PvP as I'm not a PvP player, I'm a PvE one and that's what I'd like to see more of on the KDF side.

I'm with you on wanting a lot more KDF PVE. I'm hoping that focusing on the KDF has a PVE and PVP thrust to it. I'm just trying to couch it in what I assume is a huge player spike that they are anticipating with the move. Free to play attracts people with the word free. And there is that huge elment posters do currently fear. And part of that stereotype involves the kind of players who are attracted to PVP.

I am hoping there's trickle down development. That by preparing the game for a more rounded faction experience because of how they perceive this new group of free players plays, they also flesh out the entierety of the klingon experience. Including PVE.

Again, all absolutely rampant speculation on my part.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I'm with you on wanting a lot more KDF PVE. I'm hoping that focusing on the KDF has a PVE and PVP thrust to it. I'm just trying to couch it in what I assume is a huge player spike that they are anticipating with the move. Free to play attracts people with the word free. And there is that huge elment posters do currently fear. And part of that stereotype involves the kind of players who are attracted to PVP.

I am hoping there's trickle down development. That by preparing the game for a more rounded faction experience because of how they perceive this new group of free players plays, they also flesh out the entierety of the klingon experience. Including PVE.

Hmm F2P'er in the KDF....well there goes all the honor :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited September 2011

Well, I hope you're right, cause as I said, I'm not a PvP player due to the fact that I'm absolutely horrible at that kinda thing.

Also, I would've liked for them to continue that deal about the Hur'q. I hate cliffhangers, and they never resolved that.
    Hmm F2P'er in the KDF....well there goes all the honor

Heh, I don't think the Klingons had that to begin with with the way they've been acting in the game, but that's just me.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Hmm F2P'er in the KDF....well there goes all the honor :rolleyes:

Heh. The KDF will still have the honor I think. The community of KDF players I have known in game were always the most fun and helpful people. They helped teach a horrible PVPer like me how to hold my own in PVP.

The "unwashed masses" (I'm not a fan of that term, btw, hence why the quotes ... I just don't know if they'll be classified the same way as in champs,with gold and silver levels) have a lot of potentially great fellow players in their numbers. I don't fear them. The ones that are problematic, will simply make excellent targets in those PVP maps.

:)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Well. This was an interesting thing to wake up to!

I can't say it's a surprise. It seems to have worked out well for LOTRO and Champs, so it really isn't shocking that STO is going that route, nor is it disappointing. Hell, City of Heroes is going F2P. How's that for synchronicity? *puts on the song by the Police*

I'm pretty confident that this won't be any sort of death knell if it goes the way Champs did, and there's no reason to think that it won't. I'm also reasonably confident that subscribers and lifers won't be left in the cold. Honestly, a part of me is kind of relieved. It's one less issue of debate and speculation that we have to worry about. And maybe it'll help to resolve the issues I have with the C-Store. (Not holding my breath, but it's possible.)

So now to wait for the FAQ. =)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    V-Mink wrote:
    Hell, City of Heroes is going F2P.

Thats news :confused:,

Maybe I'll try Cryptic's first creation, I play champs now (only because of sto) and it's a blast.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I bet World of Warquest is the next one to go F2P. Bill Amend probably won't have his thunder stolen on such an announcement though, like PW did to Cryptic.

;)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I bet World of Warquest is the next one to go F2P. Bill Amend probably won't have his thunder stolen on such an announcement though, like PW did to Cryptic.

;)

They already have.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Really have to wonder how/where this is going to go once f2p......if as some have speculated subs/lifers will get access to all content and a monthly allotment of cryptic points for goodies thats cool. I suppose this means pay to win will be more likely to happen and i'm not to say if thats good or bad....it is what it is i guess.

As things stand i usually pony up for goodies as it is but i hope sub peope and lifers do in fact get some extra goodies :)

and i will be here less once TOR comes out but thats why i get life time subs.....i play for a while, go do something else then come back when theres more content to keep me busy.
  • Options
    edited September 2011

;)

They already have, actually! L1 to L20 is free, apparently. Not quite sure how that works because I don't want to get any more WoW on me than I already have.... ;)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Sollaf wrote: »
    Thats news :confused:,

Maybe I'll try Cryptic's first creation, I play champs now (only because of sto) and it's a blast.

Issue 21, "Freedom," will be coming out this fall, and in addition to a couple of new powersets they're going to a 'freemium' model.

Honestly, though, their freemium model -- lifers and subscribers get various perks and bennies -- is a little confusing to me.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    V-Mink wrote:
    They already have, actually! L1 to L20 is free, apparently. Not quite sure how that works because I don't want to get any more WoW on me than I already have.... ;)

If I understand level progression in WoW, that's basically just a demo.
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    kresteel wrote:
    They already have.

(Deloaks)

Your uncloaked, fire!!!

Sollaf deals 65000 dmg to Kresteel from his alpha strike, then re-cloaks and speeds off. (After beaming all of his romulan ale out of his cargo hold :D)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    I bet World of Warquest is the next one to go F2P.

You mean World of Warcraft. ;)

As others said, it pretty much already did, but in limited form. It is the future of MMO gaming, just like regular software developers have a demo/trial or free version and the full paid version of apps.