test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Cardassian Faction, The Fourth Faction coming soon

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
dstahl wrote: »

Beyond Season 5

•Additional Playable Factions (Romulan, Cardassian...)

From dstahl in ER of his.

it means Cardassian Faction is Fourth Faction coming soon :eek:

what's your response on this. i believe it could come very soon with Romulan Faction.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    We're in season 4. A third faction is not scheduled to be developed this season or next season, but instead "beyond season 5." The absolute best interpretation is that we'll start seeing a third faction in season 6 but on the other hand, they haven't even promised that.

I'd love to see Cardassian ships and characters in game, I'd like to see that in the form of a fourth faction. However, "soon" is not a word I'd use.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    superlink1 wrote: »

what's your response on this. i believe it could come very soon with Romulan Faction.

Misinformation.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I thought I was a Cardassian. I wonder if my parents lied to me.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    Misinformation.

no, it is not. read his ER, it also MENTIONED Cardassian because it says Playable Factions as in Factions, without a "Faction" but just a Factions
  • Options
    edited August 2011

BWAHAHAHAHA....oh wait this is serious? Cryptic can barely handle a faction and a half right now. With more content developers they are supposedly hiring they might be able to bring things to where they need to be such that the game is presentable for launch. So I guess in another year and a half it's plausible, albiet fairly unlikely they'll have a working Romulan faction. Making a fourth faction on top of that, well, it's a little early to be laughing that hard.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    i believe it could come very soon with Romulan Faction.

If your definition of "soon" means before you succumb to old age, then your statement is sound.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    this is fairly old news. its been on the ER for months.

the romulans are pretty much a lock for the third faction and i think most people would have the cardassians as the next faction.

however i dont think there is any soon about it. romulans wont be to late 2013 at the earliest and who knows when the cardassians will be here. they could be many, many years away.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm so glad they are coming soon!!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    what's your response on this. i[

I think they place a higher priority on cups in their kitchen than do on a third or fourth faction.

So cups first. Factions later.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    Misinformation.

Totally agree, this whole post is misinformation/speculation. Please delete. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Thanks superlink, I've been looking forward to a cardassian faction for a long time. I'm glad it's almost here!!!!!!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    superchum wrote: »
    I think they place a higher priority on cups in their kitchen than do on a third or fourth faction.

So cups first. Factions later.

did't you say the Perfect World wants STO to have Third Faction soon in other post
  • Options
    edited August 2011

He did not say "soon", and it is also pretty much common sense(or at least it should be) that the Romulan faction is coming before the Cards, as it is more popular(see Cryptic's "next faction" poll). So seeing as how it will still be some time before the Romulan faction is added, its definitely not going to be "soon" for the Cards.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    did't you say the Perfect World wants STO to have Third Faction soon in other post

Yep, and he said Romulan:
    dstahl wrote:
    Luckily, Perfect World agrees. PVP is a big part of their games. They get it. They want two solid PVP factions as well (as well as a third Romulan faction!). That doesn't mean that I now have an army of people at my disposal to make Klingon Content, but it means that we all agree and that it is going to happen.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?p=3708575#post3708575

So like I said in my last post, its still going to be a while before we see the Rom faction, so the Cards are definitely not coming any time "soon".
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Yes. But just because PW wants the devs to make something doesn't mean the devs will actually be able to make it.

Their ability to make more than one faction, thus far, has had poor results.

I'm just as excited as everyone else to hear that a third and even a fourth faction are wanted. I share my fellow players' enthusiasm. I think the idea is awesome and one I'd love to see happen. (I'm a big fan of the Romulans ... and the Cardassians).

But I also have to consider the development team's track record with factions other than the federation. My enthusiasm is tempered with their own disappointing work thus far on multiple factions.

Maybe they'll surprise me.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    "Beyond season 5" does not mean "with season 6".

If i recall correctly, no new factions are going to be introduced until Klingons have significatly more PvE content than now. And how "soon" it will be, depends on how many resources are used for development of this content.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    *looks at thread.....facepalms*
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    superchum wrote: »
    Yes. But just because PW wants the devs to make something doesn't mean the devs will actually be able to make it.

Their ability to make more than one faction, thus far, has had poor results.

I'm just as excited as everyone else to hear that a third and even a fourth faction are wanted. I share my fellow players' enthusiasm. I think the idea is awesome and one I'd love to see happen. (I'm a big fan of the Romulans ... and the Cardassians).

But I also have to consider the development team's track record with factions other than the federation. My enthusiasm is tempered with their own disappointing work thus far on multiple factions.

Maybe they'll surprise me.

Well you also have to take into account that things have been pretty tough under Atari.
    But since PW is so very interested in this they might just finally get the resources needed to finish fleshing out the Klingons and create a third faction.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    "Beyond Season 5" That's your prove for coming soon? Everything from Season 6 to 47 is beyond Season 5, maybe even the end of the world if Cryptic isn't late with the delivery.

Romulans and Cardassians are the obvious candidates you have to mention when the devs are talking about adding additional factions somwhere in the future, so it's no surprise that they appear here and there. They can't keep up with 2 factions and even with a new parent company the team size probably has to be tripled to deal with 3 factions. 4? Ha!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    :rolleyes: "beyond" ....does not mean "directly after" ...but "sometime in a future far far away"

i say Romulans are coming in Year 3 and Cardis MAYBE in Year 5 of the game.
    but that is only if they step up their game and hire a LOT more Dev's, the few ones we have barely manage our 2 Factions as it is.

note: this is me thinking POSITIVE! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    If PWI really puts the money down on this, I think 6 months is generous for getting Klingons together. I base this on the fact that the two months look to be just new ships for them, their "other vewpoint" remakes of Federation missions don't appear to be in development yet. After the stuff currently on the calendar, if they make the following four months all about FE's and Klingon content, Klingons might be in a good place at the end of it.

That still puts us in range of the S5 runup, very optimistically giving six months from there to S6, assuming Romulans are the S6 main attraction. There we're late 2012, another optimistic six months before Cardassians are even a possibility...

And I doubt they'd do factions in back to back seasons, as even being generous I see Romulans launching in the state Klingons are now, and assuming the amazing hypothetical track record I just made up holds they'd be coming into their own at the end of S6. Again, optimistically that's a year and a half from now, early 2013.

That's not soon. And even I have a hard time keeping a straight face with all the optimism in this post.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Awww, leave cryptic alone. The devs are doing a great job. Look at all the stuff they rolled out with broken computers and no cups in the kitchen. Now they have corporate backing that cares. And will give them support and resources. And now they'll have time to plan. And do it right. Way more right than they did it in 2010 and 2011 when they had little to no support and a corporate backer that gave them too many problems.

The future looks bright! Romulans are right around the corner!

;)

yeah, it's almost a cut and paste of the spin doctoring and marketing talk that was posted back in 2010 when lead developer was changed. but shhhhhh, we'll keep that a secret
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think there's a good chance we'll get a Cardassian faction eventually. I think the issue has been how Cryptic has been distributing it's time... seems like when the game launched until fairly recently they devoted everything to the Federation. The Klingons don't even have half of the Federation content (but Qo'nos is still totally legit). Cryptic can flesh out the Klingons fairly quickly by working solely on end game content for the Feds and concentrate mostly on levelling content for the Klingons. From there they can work on end game for the Klingon and Federation and begin developping the Romulan faction. Honestly, I think they're probably developping it behind the scenes right now because they don't people jumping down their throats saying 'just release the Romulans now!' and then have some of the same people and others jumping down their throats saying 'the Romulans don't have enough content!' Other pvp options like the beginning of territory control could also make end game a lot more interesting, making room for development on more factions.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think there's a good chance we'll get a Cardassian faction eventually. I think the issue has been how Cryptic has been distributing it's time... seems like when the game launched until fairly recently they devoted everything to the Federation. The Klingons don't even have half of the Federation content (but Qo'nos is still totally legit). Cryptic can flesh out the Klingons fairly quickly by working solely on end game content for the Feds and concentrate mostly on levelling content for the Klingons. From there they can work on end game for the Klingon and Federation and begin developping the Romulan faction. Honestly, I think they're probably developping it behind the scenes right now because they don't people jumping down their throats saying 'just release the Romulans now!' and then have some of the same people and others jumping down their throats saying 'the Romulans don't have enough content!' Other pvp options like the beginning of territory control could also make end game a lot more interesting, making room for development on more factions.

The way I see it, when there are enough Featured Episodes to level exclusively on faction agnostic content. Then, we will see the Romulan and Cardassian factions!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Wasn't the Romulan Faction supposed to show up at the end of last year? Didn't that pop up in a State of the Game? Then that was moved back to after the KDF is a fully fleshed out faction. Now, last I checked there are nowhere near enough KDF-specific PvE missions to call it a fleshed out faction. I don't think anyone would argue those will be here soon (in fact, Nagus' Dstahl quote seems to confirm the opposite).

So a complete KDF Faction won't be soon.

That means the Romulan Star Empire definitely won't be soon.

That means that Cardassian Union won't be anything resembling soon. We can't realistically be talking about anything less than a matter of years (plural).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Sigh. This is a perfect example of taking something said greatly out of context.

Setting the whole "KDF needs more love before more factions are introduced" argument aside (argued to death and resurrected so many times that I lost count), we need to see a THIRD faction introduced before a fourth one can be worked on.

The Romulans have been pretty much confirmed as being the next one to be rolled out. I speculate that they wouldn't be in the game before the end of 2012 (and that is a VERY generous guesstimate), and they will most likely be in the same shape as the KDF is currently. Cryptic can barely handle the FEDERATION, let alone the Klingons.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Sigh. This is a perfect example of taking something said greatly out of context.

Setting the whole "KDF needs more love before more factions are introduced" argument aside (argued to death and resurrected so many times that I lost count), we need to see a THIRD faction introduced before a fourth one can be worked on.

The Romulans have been pretty much confirmed as being the next one to be rolled out. I speculate that they wouldn't be in the game before the end of 2012 (and that is a VERY generous guesstimate), and they will most likely be in the same shape as the KDF is currently. Cryptic can barely handle the FEDERATION, let alone the Klingons.

As a new player I can't speak for end-game, but where I am Cryptic is handling the Federation fine. The Klingons have some catching up to do, but if I had played a Klingon character from the start and didn't have the Feds to compare the KDF to, I would still think this is a solid game. Cryptic can take it one faction at a time, giving the Klingons PvE content while working on end-game for Feds. Then they'll be able to start working on the Romulans, do the same thing and eventually Cardassians.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    The Klingons have some catching up to do, but if I had played a Klingon character from the start and didn't have the Feds to compare the KDF to, I would still think this is a solid game.

I doubt it. Most MMOs have story themed content to level your character to, but the KDF is mostly repeating the same missions over and over. Now, if you had no other MMOs to compare it to, maybe you would have a point. So maybe you just dont have much MMO experience.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think its a typo... Dstahl was going to put Breen or Undine.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    people :P still a while before we even get the romulans. Its sure fun to fantasize about but for now lets just wait on that october *sigh* content.