Options

New female run

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    AdaVoh wrote:
    As a real life woman, I was completely offended by the new run animation. I've always envisioned my character as being athletic and tough, but now she's running with her chest thrust forward, waving her arms side to side like she doesn't know what to do with them... it's completely ridiculous. That is not my character anymore. I liked the "shot with a squirt gun in the small of her back" image someone on the first page mentioned; that's definitely what it reminds me of. So disappointing.

Hehe, that was me.

I mean, there's few things that can make me stop playing a character. To say this was immersion breaking would be an understatement.

I don't get why male and female animations just can't be the same. I want more gender neutral animations!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Honestly I don't know why they changed the sprint to look like something straight out of Scooby-Doo. I mean jinkies! The walk was enough. The walk is cute, actually, but c'mon. Unless it's a B-movie horror or an anim
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    yes I would really like the option to choose which one I want. Because the animation is good, but it doesnt fit a lot of female avatars I have seen in this game... my alt included >.>
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'd like to voice my nausea at the new run animation as well. I'd understand if it was a new animation option, but no choice? Just, this is how you will sprint? Ugh.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I too would like to voice my opinion on the matter.

The new animation is fine, for the more feminine stances. My female alien character has a "Stern" stance that fits very well in her character concept, but the new sprint animation is very, as others have put it "Over the top feminine," which doesn't fit.

I propose an option by the "Stance" drop down during character creation and talior npc to have a "Sprint Stance" or "Sprint Type" in "Unisex," "Feminine" and "Masculine" options. It allows the new animations to have their place and gives players deeper customization options.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    AdaVoh wrote:
    As a real life woman, I was completely offended by the new run animation. I've always envisioned my character as being athletic and tough, but now she's running with her chest thrust forward, waving her arms side to side like she doesn't know what to do with them... it's completely ridiculous. That is not my character anymore. I liked the "shot with a squirt gun in the small of her back" image someone on the first page mentioned; that's definitely what it reminds me of. So disappointing.

AMEN. As a female I am incredibly offended and quite infuriated that this was even put in. Granted this may appeal to some players who consider their female characters to be girlish and dainty, but I daresay the majority do not support this change. My Klingon warrior looks like she should be wearing knee-high stockings and a schoolgirl uniform, purse dangling from her arm with a chihuahua packed in for good measure while she skips along through the halls of Qo'Nos staring up into the sky flailing those forearms around in circles. RIDICULOUS.

Please either reverse this change and restore a previous animation, or give us the option to choose between running animations [as with our standing poses]. Some of us do actually prefer to play as tough warrior women as opposed to stereotypical barbie dolls with naught but fluff for brains [this includes their animations and behaviours, not just appearances]. You can't give us a run like this and expect us to be able to maintain our immersion if the characters that we have developed are suddenly behaving like lobotomized bimbos attempting to shove their TRIBBLE further into the air with each step lest anyone in a 5km radius fail to take notice of their gender.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Apparently its been modelled after Westly Crusher :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    jkstocbr wrote:

And the winner of the 'Best Comment in the thread' goes to...
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I like it. And the female players I've spoken to like it.

Can we just stop TRIBBLE with the female animations now, please?

Its starting to get annoying that every time I log on, there's a new animation for my characters.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    jkstocbr wrote:

lol. That figures. :eek:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    bij wrote:
    The new sprint animation is distracting. It looks like someone motion captured a drunk woman chasing a taxi.

LOL - that sums it up folks. Really prize golden star! Classic, I will never get this image out of my head. Its seared into my brain. :)
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Suavek wrote: »
    The new animation kind of reminds me of japanese games and animes. The sprint is feminine, yes, but in that over-the-top hilarious way. The moment I saw it I thought of some sort of Final Fantasy game (Yuna in FFX-2 or Vanille in FFXIII). And that's in no way a good thing...

Well, at least the walk animation is slightly better than before.

Well ... We are not playing a Japanese game ... We *are* playing a Chinese game, however.

It's a Perfect World ... really.

Seriously, the run animation is ... interesting.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    hendersh0t wrote:
    I know the devs have more important things to do but...

... appereantly they have not *raises eyebrow*
    why would they fiddle around with those animations in the first place if they had "more important things to do".

:D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    i hate the new run animation i think its very very sexist (and im a guy) i have never in my life ever seen someone run like that it looks very uncomfurtable and awkward and unatural (even more so if you have a pistol out when running) the female charicters in the game are trained miliatry personel, women in the miliatry DO NOT RUN like that frankly i find it insulting to klingion women the most its just sicking seeing a proud warrior running like that /end rant
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I must admit I do like the new run animation but only because it makes me laugh so much. Speaking as a bloke I do agree it does come across as a little sexist and cringe worthy though, they don't run like you'd expect a member of military to. The Scooby Do run is the best description that I've heard so far to sum it up.

I'd like to see Janeway running like that! :D
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'll be honest, I hate the new female run animation. For one thing, I mostly play female characters and I have to see it every time I log in. For another, I am a rather athletic woman and it's insulting to see my characters run around like brain damaged bimbos. Specifically my liberated borgs and my liberated borg klingon tac! That run is inefficient and the flailing a waste of energy, why on earth would they run like that? The only characters of mine I can see it remotely suiting is my Orions, and they would only run like that because it's deceptive and possibly seductive. :p

It breaks immersion and it makes gameplay hard. I know some people think it makes the characters look cute but it's not for everyone. I appreciate that the dev staff worked hard on it and the new walk animation, but it needs to be an option and not applied across the board to all our characters. What's the point of letting us make a character concept and then wiping it away by making all the women run like barbie bimbos who hate their daddy? The women didn't even run like that on the 60s tv show!

I've said it before: one of the things I liked very much about this game was that the sprint was gender neutral. My character felt like a soldier regardless of their gender. Star Trek is after all a show (and hopefully a game) about equality/gender/race etc. Those things shouldn't matter here. The run is a disservice to those ideals. It's a step moving in the wrong direction.

Just give us the option to choose whether or not we want to use it. Please?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Z3R0B4NG wrote: »
    ... appereantly they have not *raises eyebrow*
    why would they fiddle around with those animations in the first place if they had "more important things to do".

:D

Really? Code changes, so many complaints from day one about the old versions. Yes we need content, but if you have any knowledge of business you'd see why nothing new was offered while the sale went through. The animation changes were a long time coming, heck you should know that.
    Well ... We are not playing a Japanese game ... We *are* playing a Chinese game, however.

It's a Perfect World ... really.

Seriously, the run animation is ... interesting.

We are playing an American game, licensed (and in complete control) by CBS, we happen to be owned by an "American" company that is a owned by the Chinese. The company that bought us is licensed and exists in America, it is a sub of a Chinese company,

They are no different, or able too be more subversive than our old French overlords. Forums are such fun to be on......:rolleyes:

As a end note, I like the animations. They look good when I'm walking around ESD, not like I see them when I actually am playing the game. Still, if my only concern was looking cool, I'm good, rest of the time I'm killing things.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Somone in the Chats joked they'd offer a retro-run-tokken in C-Store soon....

....and as it is now I'd even buy it. The new run sucks. The old one was all right, dont remember anyone complaining about it.
    But instead if working on important stuff like fixing the UI, the Skill sytsem, the Defaints torpedo animation ect ect... they make it worst and worst. WHY?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I have to support the idea for making it an option in creator/tailor.

I was on my tac borg and apparently she decided to suddenly become all cutsie tootsie after being a kicking butt, taking names and ask questions later type of gal. My first response was "oh my LORD...that is just..HORRIBLE"

Now the actual work itself is excellent. However as other have noted, it just doesn't really fit what we envision for many of our characters. So, yes I support making it a selection next to stance in the creator/tailor.

Cryptic, we know you are busy, but please try to find the time to do this for us.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I think we could use a dropdown that would let us select from the various animations Cryptic has provided us so far. If you support the idea of being able to choose what animation your characters use, please post in my thread (linked in my sig).