test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Roleplaying and Ignorance

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Hey,

I'm not normally an RPer, but I gave it a go last night at Starfleet Academy since I wandered into a group of RPers.

It can be fun, but what really disappointed me was the attitude of non-RPers on the instance. They did their utmost best to interrupt, belittle and make it generally unpleasant to be roleplaying. Thankfully, we all ignored them but I have to ask the question:

Why are some people so ignorant as to not be able to allow others to have fun in an RP capacity? When I've come across RPers before, I tend not to interrupt, or just as a respectful gesture would salute a "superior officer" should I happen to be next to them as they are RPing.

Ironically, the RP haters were RPing as a very unfunny nature film crew. Which made it all the easier to dismiss them since they were actually doing the thing they despised!

PS If any of them are reading this, it really was quite shameful for you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2011
    Were they cognizant of the fact that you guys were actually roleplaying, and were intentionally being disruptive? Or did they just happen to be standing where you were and talking out of character?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Were they cognizant of the fact that you guys were actually roleplaying, and were intentionally being disruptive? Or did they just happen to be standing where you were and talking out of character?

They were aware and often referenced "the RPers." Once they caught wind of the Local Chat we were using, they actually sought us out to be as disruptive as possible.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    They were aware and often referenced "the RPers." Once they caught wind of the Local Chat we were using, they actually sought us out to be as disruptive as possible.

Bored people are like that m8, nothing anyone can do about it. If Cryptic would juice in some proper content, they'd have something to do instead of bothering people that are trying to play the game in a way that is fun to them.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Meynolt wrote: »
    Bored people are like that m8, nothing anyone can do about it. If Cryptic would juice in some proper content, they'd have something to do instead of bothering people that are trying to play the game in a way that is fun to them.

I am not an avid RP'er but I have noticed that other MMO's that have tons of content run into the same issues. It is just that people in GENERAL like to grief other players. One thing that can or could help though is if RP'ers would use a passworded chat channel when playing. At least then the griefers won't be aware of the RP'ers as much.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Gruug wrote: »
    I am not an avid RP'er but I have noticed that other MMO's that have tons of content run into the same issues. It is just that people in GENERAL like to grief other players. One thing that can or could help though is if RP'ers would use a passworded chat channel when playing. At least then the griefers won't be aware of the RP'ers as much.

RPers shouldn't have to hide if they want to RP though. Regular players don't have to use passworded channels to avoid grief from RPers....

In fact, when I'm not RPing, I often find that those who are add to the ambience of the Star Trek theme of the game.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    There will always be haters and sad losers who want to disrupt and ruin other people's fun.

I rarely RP in STO, I would like to, but I tne dot be careful in doing so in case of any idiots ruining it.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    If people are playing this game to RP, they are doing it wrong. There are Star Trek themed MUSHes out there that will give an infinitely better role playing experience for free. I guess that's one of the reasons I find RPers in this game rather silly.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I agree... sucks that it is this way..

if anyone ever wants some rp going on drozana be sure to join the DrozanaRP chat channel.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I kind of like roleplaying, but my experiences in this game have been bad.

First off, if you have ***** you are to be hit on. People create fantastically unrealistic stories for themselves (ie someone mentioning they diverted their ship to assist another captain to experience what it was like to be assimilated. It was like, court martial and hang from the yardarm material). Too much sexualization, which is foremost what inspires griefers to interrupt.

There's some good RP in STO. But a lot of it is garbage.
  • Options
    edited August 2011

That's not an excuse. To blame Cryptic is silly... it's not Cryptic's lack of content release that causes this it's the anonymity of the Internet. People who don't have much self esteem or self worth usually take to the Internet as a way of being a douche without any consequences. It's an old story sadly.

EDIT: Interesting that "douche" isn't starred out lol
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    RPers shouldn't have to hide if they want to RP though. Regular players don't have to use passworded channels to avoid grief from RPers....

In fact, when I'm not RPing, I often find that those who are add to the ambience of the Star Trek theme of the game.

I am not suggesting they should. What I am saying is, that if RP'ers are being constantly "bothered" by those individuals that can't play nice, the RP'ers should find a safer haven to be able to enjoy their space (no pun intended).

Frankly, I think that griefers like these should be banned from the game but that requires a good amount of policing. So, instead, players have to make it harder for griefers to have their way and thus reduce the chance they will grief.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Thats a sad story indeed. I personally ran into the first group of roleplayers the day SFA was added to the holodeck and i rather enjoyed seeing it. :) felt no need to interrupt.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I have witness a direct correlation between those who actively seek RPers to disrupt or grief and those waiting for a PVP queue to pop up.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Some MMO's have different servers specifically for RP where it's actually discouraged by GM's if you act against it towards others. With STO being one open world it makes it further difficult to "RP". Not saying you can't but if you do it in areas that are not secluded (Your bridge) than you'll be stuck with crowd\mob attitude
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Why are some people so ignorant as to not be able to allow others to have fun in an RP capacity?

The same basic reasons why people tease or belittle other people in any other capacity.
    Ironically, the RP haters were RPing as a very unfunny nature film crew. Which made it all the easier to dismiss them since they were actually doing the thing they despised!

Maybe that group of people doesn't hate RPing, they just had problems with the specific group you were RPing with?
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Change the word RP with PVP and I think you'll find that lots of players get griefed in this game.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    nynik wrote:
    I have witness a direct correlation between those who actively seek RPers to disrupt or grief and those waiting for a PVP queue to pop up.

I haven't. Most PvPers I know hang out in the OrganizedPvP channel, or their respective fleet channels.

The difference between people is not that they RP or that they PvP or Farm/Grind or whatever.

The difference between people is that some are douches and some aren't. You'll find douches everywhere, unfortunately.

If you get annoyed and disrupted, you can open up a behavior ticket. And should probably do so. Asking for some common courtesy is of little value, here, really, because if that's what these people would care for, they wouldn't grief you in the first place.
  • Options
    edited August 2011

Jakyre wrote: »
    That's not an excuse. To blame Cryptic is silly... it's not Cryptic's lack of content release that causes this it's the anonymity of the Internet. People who don't have much self esteem or self worth usually take to the Internet as a way of being a douche without any consequences. It's an old story sadly.

EDIT: Interesting that "douche" isn't starred out lol

yes. People did that in the beginning of the game when still enough "content" was to explore, people did that in other games - even on rp-servers, bottom line: People just do that, for what ever reason.
    Actually I feel kind of sorry for them, they must have MAJOR personal issue when the only way THEY got joy s desperatly trying to annoy other people.
    I haven't. Most PvPers I know hang out in the OrganizedPvP channel, or their respective fleet channels.

Wich is a pitty becuase that makes it hard for new ppl to make RP and almost impossible to just "run into" another "rp-char".
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Wich is a pitty becuase that makes it hard for new ppl to make RP and almost impossible to just "run into" another "rp-char".

Well there's some social heavy zones in the game right? Quarks bar for instance? Could always try meeting RPers there.

Or just ask around on the forums. There's a few RP heavy or RP focused fleets to be found in the fleet recruitment forums right?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Personally I have run into this a few times in this game, and all the time in others. ( There is a reason why you don't RP in Most Eisely. RIP SWG )

Even RP servers have this problem. your always going to have it.

But two things I would love to see added to this game is.

1. An RP tag, and an OCC tag. would come in handy for those of us RP and might inform someone new that were RP. when they wondering what we are doing.

2. An RP instance for all social areas. Maybe just one, or two, but at least one. let us have a setting that says. Join RP instance when entering a map if available. So that way you join the RP instance, but if it is full your sent to a different one.

Just two things that would ( in my opinion ) make it a better RP place.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Hey,

I'm not normally an RPer, but I gave it a go last night at Starfleet Academy since I wandered into a group of RPers.

It can be fun, but what really disappointed me was the attitude of non-RPers on the instance. They did their utmost best to interrupt, belittle and make it generally unpleasant to be roleplaying. Thankfully, we all ignored them but I have to ask the question:

Why are some people so ignorant as to not be able to allow others to have fun in an RP capacity? When I've come across RPers before, I tend not to interrupt, or just as a respectful gesture would salute a "superior officer" should I happen to be next to them as they are RPing.

PS If any of them are reading this, it really was quite shameful for you.

This really goes back to when we where all we little tots and had a propensity to pick on and make fun of the people who where in the chess club or glee club; in fact male cheerleaders go there as well. I really do not believe it has anything to do with maturity and more to do with human nature.

I would dare say that most individuals that play STO are male, so anytime a group of guys sees another group of guys behaving in a way that they may consider to be unmanly it is easy for them to poke fun of and mock said individuals. Also Roleplaying has always had a stigma attached to it; mainly that it is just a bunch of fellows who do not have a real life so they make pretend. That type of generalization will not go away anytime soon, so untill Cryptic establishes RP zones then it will be something all RPers will have to endure.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    ... or you could just use the ignore command to permanently ignore those players. No big loss in the grand scheme of things since you probably wouldn't want to group with those people down the road anyways.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I can't speak for all RP in STO, but most of the RPing I've witnessed seems to be similar to the kind you would get in SWG after spending an hour in a cantina.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    A long time ago I made up a channel called Quarks, because for some reason, Cryptic thinks its a good idea for the different floors to share the same chat radius. :p

So the chat channel I made up is so that you can RP on the upper levels of the bar, without being spammed by the ground floor. No one hardly uses it though. Which is saddening.
    Jakyre wrote: »
    ... or you could just use the ignore command to permanently ignore those players. No big loss in the grand scheme of things since you probably wouldn't want to group with those people down the road anyways.

The problem with that is, that the griefers arent just using verbal assaults. They stand around and bunny-hop or spam emotes or back when that cryo-bomb was such a nuisance, they would spam that (thanks for nerfing that Cryptic). If the ignore feature also hid the character model so that we couldnt see them anymore, that would be awesome.

Aion has a feature sorta like that, but it hides EVERYONE. I love it. lol
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    superchum wrote: »
    Well there's some social heavy zones in the game right? Quarks bar for instance? Could always try meeting RPers there.

Or just ask around on the forums. There's a few RP heavy or RP focused fleets to be found in the fleet recruitment forums right?

Well, I'm not speaking of going to areas to make RP, thats of course possible but... its not THAT intresting. Especially not in the "Federation only" Quarks, Drozana is a much more intresting location for that but empty for a major time.

With "Running into" i mean "Accidantly meeting".
    For example; I have a "Personal traditon", every time get a promotion and have to go to Quinn, a use the "salute" emote while speaking with him.
    At the beginning it happened a few times that people in that office congratulatet me to my promotion IN CHARACTER...
    Or on Drozana a Ferengie ran arround and tried to sell stuff or or or... that kind of stuff doenst happen any more because lot of RP-people use fleet chanels or private chanels.

And for a Fleet: i simply do not want to change my Fleet. I like my Fleet, we have a lot of fun together, the problem is just: Nobody besides me is intrestet in RP.
    Had the same in other games and it was never an issue, I made a "content"-stuff... PVP, Raids ect with me Guild but the RP part was something just... happening. In STO it was never as great as in.. Lord of the Rings for example, I guess the intance system is to blame here, but lately it simply doenst happen at all any more...
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I have no idea why people do this. I used to run into it all the time back when I played WoW. There are just some people that generally look down on RPers as inferior. I guess they figure if you're not out "pwning noobs" then you aren't really playing the game and need to stop taking up their precious bandwidth (or GTFO, as it were).
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    How we act while playing a game (anoymously) says more about our true character than anything else. For in the digital world, the masks we wear everyday in the social (real) enviornment slips away, and what lies beneath surfaces.

For some, the weak becomes strong, the shy becomes sociable, and bullies remain bullies.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I am not an RP'er however I do believe RP'ing should not be done in local or zone chat.

There are several rp chat channels that can be used.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I am not an RP'er however I do believe RP'ing should not be done in local or zone chat.

There are several rp chat channels that can be used.

Really? Why is that? I am not trol-baiting, I really want to know why you think we should hide in RP channels. We pay to play this game the same as you do... or did, considering youre a Lifer.

Perhaps you are confusing roleplay with cybering?
    How we act while playing a game (anoymously) says more about our true character than anything else. For in the digital world, the masks we wear everyday in the social (real) enviornment slips away, and what lies beneath surfaces.

For some, the weak becomes strong, the shy becomes sociable, and bullies remain bullies.

Very well said.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It's not just this game. RPers are harassed wherever they go. You usually just learn to tune them out and get on with the scene.