test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Why clicking certain abilities is causing you to detarget

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited August 2011 in PvP Gameplay
The BO abilities you may have on a second (upper) row of the BO tray in your HUD are at this time considered part of the area where "click unselects target" (if active in your options) and causing you to detarget, i.e. like clicking empty space. Would only affect you if you use a 2 row BO tray and have this option active.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2011
    Nope not necessarily so. I do not even try to click powers on my upper bars and still occasionally loose target for no reason whatsoever. Something else is screwy here (again).
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Yup. Losing my target all night, Some abilities knock me off target, other times just case. not sure whats happened there, but I hope it can be resolved soon, I can only HY3 a Mine so many times. Every time I CPB it deselects, or applying certain heals causes me to deselect.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    yes this i dont even have to click something and my target gets deselected very irritateing
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    But don't worry people, this mostly hurts PVP, so I'm sure it will get fixed ASAP:rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    genxcraig wrote: »
    Nope not necessarily so. I do not even try to click powers on my upper bars and still occasionally loose target for no reason whatsoever. Something else is screwy here (again).

I have tested this, remove "click unselects target" from your options and the problem will be virtually gone. There may be something else afoot but it's minor compared to this.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Could this be related to a generally messed up selectable area within the UI?

For example, I can click and click and click away at the innate Target Subsystem: Shields/Weapons on my Scis, and nothing happens. And my UI is still in it's stock default configuration.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    mvs5191 wrote: »

For example, I can click and click and click away at the innate Target Subsystem: Shields/Weapons on my Scis, and nothing happens. And my UI is still in it's stock default configuration.

Try moving the tray over. I think that there are some things like the power tray and inventory that extend farther than they appear to and overlap other UI stuff.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Victory275 wrote: »
    Try moving the tray over. I think that there are some things like the power tray and inventory that extend farther than they appear to and overlap other UI stuff.

Aha, hopefully it's just this then. I'll give it a shot, thanks.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    Aha, hopefully it's just this then. I'll give it a shot, thanks.

I hope so. :D My Boff tray was overlapping my wpn tray enough to make it so I couldn't activate my beam from the wpn tray (for BO3 for example). It looked fine but evidently it wasn't LOL. So I just played with it and moved the trays around a little.
  • Options
    edited July 2011

From the beginning of Season 4 I pay for Criptic's indolence. I don't like to complain but now this game is really unplayable for me - for example:

1. during combat (red alert) I can't use target subs on my SCI Intrepid

2. during combat "assist target on attack", on all of my toons isn't working anymore. When I'm pushing F2....F5 to select my team mates, I have only 1-2 sec to heal them. It's just ridiculous.

3. after using any of my SCI or ENG powers like for example: HE, PSW, TSS, ET, ST, PH, TB,....or even shields / engines / aux batteries or deuterium - I'm losing mark on my target - A L W A Y S ! ! !

4. the last one is the most funny - yesterday after logging on, all my FED toons were muted. I couldn't use chat (read or even write), I couldn't see my list of my friends, I couldn't hear any single sound....nothing.
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    And what's really bad for this bug.. is coupling it with this bug..

Numbers Disappearing on Tray
  • Options
    edited July 2011
    this was... very annoying earlier. I'd target a person he rest of my group was targeting, pop my buffs... and suddenly be targeting nothing, then next thing I know i'm firing a beam overload, cannon rapid fire, and torpedo high yield into a mine...
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    does this happen only when your clicking or does it happen when using keybinds as well?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    are cryptic trying to kill this game?
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Has this bug been removed or fixed yet? Haven't had time to log in since I noticed it the first time.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Was happening to me earlier too. At first I thought I was scrambled. But it started happening a lot of times in the match. Btw, the assist through target option is broken in the game settings, but it appears to work while SS3d. =p At least for the benefit of the enemy.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Strangely I have only experienced this to my knowledge on targetable objects, like satellites, asteroids etc.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    mkenneally wrote: »
    It looks like there are several bugs being described in this thread.

The major one seems to be that clicking on the Bridge Ofifcer Tray deselects your current target. That is the result of having the "Click Deselects Target" option turned on, coupled with "mouse capture" turned off on the tray.

The other is just a UI display issue in the control scheme options pane that should have no actual gameplay impact.

I've fixed both of these issues, and under ideal circumstances they should be pushed in the next patch.
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3680797&postcount=20

Therefore i hope next patch will be fixed. I hope.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    4. the last one is the most funny - yesterday after logging on, all my FED toons were muted. I couldn't use chat (read or even write), I couldn't see my list of my friends, I couldn't hear any single sound....nothing.

When this happens to me ,the thought that first cross my mind is " Who has reported me again and i m "silenced" due to improper attitude??" " damn it ,i havent done anything !":p
    Back to the OP : Yes happens to me many times ....as Alastor describes it...fully buffed i suddenly fire everything i ve got on to a ....Chroniton mine !:eek:

BTW,i m not sure if this is related to the subject and i dont know if it happens to you guys too:
    While struggling with clicking on various skills suddenly my CAMERA TARGETING MODE changes...e.g from "Free Camera" to "Follow Target"...Many times it forces me to disengage mid battle ,get into options and change the setting back the way it was ...only to see it happen again the minute i m back in the fight:confused:
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Pantheras wrote: »
    While struggling with clicking on various skills suddenly my CAMERA TARGETING MODE changes...e.g from "Free Camera" to "Follow Target"...Many times it forces me to disengage mid battle ,get into options and change the setting back the way it was ...only to see it happen again the minute i m back in the fight:confused:

Hell yeah, that TRIBBLE was happening on my Engie. I had to change the camera mode to Chase, hit Ok, re-open the window then change it to Free, hit Ok. The setting stayed that time.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I'm asking for help from people who know more about the UI for this before I can get you more answers.

In the meantime: ANYTHING AT ALL that you notce (where your cursor is; playing Fed/Klings; Abilities used; etc) would be a great help.

Thanks so much!
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    I'm asking for help from people who know more about the UI for this before I can get you more answers.

In the meantime: ANYTHING AT ALL that you notce (where your cursor is; playing Fed/Klings; Abilities used; etc) would be a great help.

Thanks so much!

Im having this problem as well
    1. seems to work on both Fed and Klink

2. First noticed on my Gal-X the cloak would not respond to a mouse click, i had to use the keyboard.
    when i activated the power i lost lock on my target

3. Noticed it recently on my BoP, when activating one of my captain abilities or the cloak i loose my target

4. This does not happen every time, or on a particular power more than others
    (but i use the cloak alot so i noticed it first)

5. My curser generally hangs out over the last power I activated, so for example i activate cloak, loose target, but do not move my curser off of cloak

6. Seems to have started happening around the same time i noticed that i could not "mouse click" some of my
    abilities, and instead had to use the keyboard to activate them- this problem is intermittent as well. (not all the time and not any particular power more than others)

7. Does not seem to effect Boff powers for me

hope this helps
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Here is what I found out about this issue. I used to have my group member targets set to 1, 2, 3 and 4 my primary ability bar to F1, F2 etc and the secondary (and thrid) to alt -1, alt -2 and ctrl -1, ctrl -2

So when ever I fire abilities where the base key is the same as the group memebr target it will switch.

This only happens with RPG ground controles. My workaroudn was to unmap the traget group member keys.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    WishStone wrote:

Thanks so much!

Would this also be a help: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3680797&postcount=20
    mkenneally wrote: »
    It looks like there are several bugs being described in this thread.

The major one seems to be that clicking on the Bridge Ofifcer Tray deselects your current target. That is the result of having the "Click Deselects Target" option turned on, coupled with "mouse capture" turned off on the tray.

The other is just a UI display issue in the control scheme options pane that should have no actual gameplay impact.

I've fixed both of these issues, and under ideal circumstances they should be pushed in the next patch.

His description seems to make sense to me - and he's even a Dev!

Basically, it seems the behavior of the Bridge Officer Tray has changed to no longer "capture" the mouse. This means a click on the BO tray is still like a click on free space, and thus "Click deselects target". Obviously we as players can't set the BO tray mouse capture behavior, that's what mkenneally has to do.

It might also be not the only issue TRIBBLE up, but maybe fixing this would help identifying the others better.

Now if just someone could figure out what happened with $target in team chat.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Another, perhaps related subject is not being able to click on the power tray. Sometimes when I zone in the power tray, usually the top one, becomes unclickable. If I hit escape until I get the options menu and then hit escape again (I assume clearing something), I can then click the tray normally. This usually happens outside of sector space, but occasionally within it.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    It happens most for me on my Vice Admiral engineer. Activating Beam Overload or High Yield 1 seem to be the biggest culprits.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    WishStone wrote:

Thanks so much!

Wishstone.

I noticed that this happened after the patch in which the default BOFF panel size was changed. The deselect occured only on the top row of the boff panel and not on the bottom. I was able to stop mine from this behavior by going into the UI and changing the size of the BOFF panel to be wide enough to drop to one row. Perhaps the UI size change didn't correctly affect the sizing and the area in which the clicks are "absorbed" by the UI is not correctly in line with the size of the BOFF panel, so by clicking on said upper row UI, it both activates the ability AND has the click go through to the scene which takes it as a click to deslect the currently target

To all others: go to the ui config, resize your BOFF panel. See if that fixes it. I know if you make it down to one row it fixes the issue. At least it did for me.

edit: http://forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php?p=3680797&postcount=20 that pretty much confirms what i was saying.

A note to everyone. It's most likely that this doesn't have anything to do with specific abilities, it has to do with regions of the UI. Like I said, resizing my boff panel fixed it, but that may be because i dropped it down to one row.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    Funny how this happens all the sudden and certain options need to be reset, rather than finding the cause of the problem because this isn't how it was just a mere two weeks ago.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    I haven't had this problem in space yet, but it's killing me on the ground, not just in pvp but on borg mission that are pve. I use an ability or swap weapons and it de targets my target and i start shooting where ever i'm looking. It's making me not want to play anymore amongst the other bugs because it's driving me crazy.
  • Options
    edited August 2011
    This happened to me too, turning the BO power tray into a single row seemed to fix it (by the time i figured this out by myself i could only do diplomacy missions and now i maxed my DXP out)