test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Proper Galaxy Class Interior

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited August 2011 in Federation Discussion
I know a lot of people are really thrilled about the TOS C-Store pack. It all looks REALLY nice from the bridge, to the engine room, and even the llil class F shuttle you get. I'm still not really interested in it though.

This is supposed to be the future and all that tech looks like something out of the 1960s ;)

I'm holding out for a proper Galaxy class interior: bridge (I know there's a "close" one in game but it's not perfect), corridors, main engineering, transporter room, ten forward, the works. With 7 seasons of eps to work from it can't be that hard to reference everything.

So I'm wondering who else out there is in the same position I am and is there any word from a dev on whether this is coming soon? I'd pay for it in a second.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2011
    Jakyre wrote: »
    I know a lot of people are really thrilled about the TOS C-Store pack. It all looks REALLY nice from the bridge, to the engine room, and even the llil class F shuttle you get. I'm still not really interested in it though.

This is supposed to be the future and all that tech looks like something out of the 1960s ;)

I'm holding out for a proper Galaxy class interior: bridge (I know there's a "close" one in game but it's not perfect), corridors, main engineering, transporter room, ten forward, the works. With 7 seasons of eps to work from it can't be that hard to reference everything.

So I'm wondering who else out there is in the same position I am and is there any word from a dev on whether this is coming soon? I'd pay for it in a second.

I'd love it if they came out with the proper Galaxy class interior, I grew up on TNG so even though I have respect for TOS paving the way, there really should be a TNG interior package. Those are the corridors I know, the engine room where La Forge worked countless hours, the storage rooms that Worf would get his butt handed to him almost constantly, the Bridge and all it's awesome. I wouldn't care if it cost more then the Dreadnought, I'd buy it the second it became available.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was quite small at the time, but I remember BBC2 on Wednesdays, 5pm, TNG time! T'was my favourite part of the week I think. Except for "Skin of Evil", that scared small me rather a lot.:rolleyes:

I wouldn't mind seeing a proper Galaxy interior, it'd work for the Nebula as well I think. I know they can do those style corridors the right size, because there were plenty like that on hte Starbase you raid in "Keep your enemies Closer" for the KDF.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I completely agree. Really hoping that they continue to make ship/bridge packs similar to the TOS set. Absolutely adore the TNG Engineering room, especially compared to the abomination of an engineering room we have now... (not Cryptic's fault, I just dislike the design of the Sovvie engineering room)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yeah, I was quite small at the time, but I remember BBC2 on Wednesdays, 5pm, TNG time! T'was my favourite part of the week I think. Except for "Skin of Evil", that scared small me rather a lot.:rolleyes:

Awwww, yea that Tar monster (Armus) was pretty scary. Especially the way he dragged Riker into the pool and you saw his tar covered face pop out lol.

I grew up on TNG too... I remember saturday nights at 6pm sitting down EVERY week with my dad to watch the new eps. That's Star Trek to me... and I think a lot of others out there too. It's what really kicked off the franchise... DS9 and Voyager BOTH took most of their cues from TNG. Being 28 years old now I figure I'm in an age group shared by a lot of the player base (maybe I'm a lil younger) but either way I think TONS of people would welcome this addition.

If nothing else at least the game has a T5 galaxy refit to use the interiors in... what VA is gonna bring their T1 TOS Constitution into a pvp fight? or on an STF? ;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We already BOUGHT one new Galaxy bridge. Remember? It's the one with holes in the floor to space, the borked up LCARS panels, and is so huge it feels like standing in the food court of the local mall. It was one of the many rip offs that made me swear off the c-store.

So, do we PAY for another one. A good one that is the right size, has care taken in how the meshes line up and doesn't cut the panels in two? Or, do they go back and fix the one we already shelled out cash for?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Get your wallets out if you really want a good one.:mad:
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    latest word from dStahl (in some audio interview) was that the next interior to get some love would be the DEFAULT one that EVERYBODY has.

I agree that the default one should be on par and that the one released with Season 2? or 3? was just pushed out the door because People kept asking for it but wasn't ready by any means.

So, first the default one,
    then Galaxy, Sovereign, Intrepid, Defiant, Prometheus, Luna etc. ....or give us the means to do it ourself with the Foundry and share what we did in the Exchange or some other way.

C-Store / Free / don't care just "get it done" ^^
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    We already BOUGHT one new Galaxy bridge. Remember? It's the one with holes in the floor to space, the borked up LCARS panels, and is so huge it feels like standing in the food court of the local mall. It was one of the many rip offs that made me swear off the c-store.

So, do we PAY for another one. A good one that is the right size, has care taken in how the meshes line up and doesn't cut the panels in two? Or, do they go back and fix the one we already shelled out cash for?

Yeah, that's what I thought. Get your wallets out if you really want a good one.:mad:

Ya if they come out with an authentic Galaxy interior, bet your bottom dollar I'd buy it. I know some people feel they've been wronged by the C-Store or feel that it's evil, to those people I extend this invitation: If this bridge becomes available I invite you to my ship so you may inspect it and see if Cryptic has done their job right.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    This is one of the questions I posed for the next Ask Cryptic. I'm hoping DStahl gives it an answer...

What would remastered interiors mean for people who already purchased the "canon" bridges? I'm not paying twice for something I should have had from the beginning.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Yup I want a TNG pack. We're talking:

Jumpsuit uniforms (Seasons 1 and 2)
    Old Crewman uniforms (Think Lore in Datalore)
    TNG Skirts (Troi in Encounter at Farpoint)
    Dustbuster phasers
    TNG interiors
    Summonable "Armus, Skin of Evil" combat pet
    Echo Papa 607 support drone
    Bynar BOFFS

I could go on for days.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    My thinking was that it might be best for them to go chronologically up.

They've got the TOS interior up. Next would be the TMP one (probably patterned after Star Trek II+III, with perhaps alternate texture skins to match the Star Trek VI era) so to provide adequate interiors for Constitution Refits and Excelsiors. Heck, didn't the Ambassador-class set also pick up from there?

That way, as they keep going up, each era is checked off. They could very well do it for a more tangible purpose at the same time, such as a mission occurring aboard another Excelsior/Ambassador-class vessel, for example (no need to go as far as time travel when we've got the ships already in-game). They could use that very same environment to remaster the interior of missions such as the ones where you go help the U.S.S. Kirk fend of B'vat's boarding teams, or have Q send you back into the past to stop Borg from killing Sisko on the Saratoga.

Steadily, they could keep continuing making interior sets and insert them in-game - the Galaxy-class layout would be next, and could again be inserted in to remaster some environments accordingly. Defiant-style interiors then follow up (I'm at a loss to have them match an existing mission, though); and after Sovereign-style which could match the Assault Cruisers just as much as they'd match the Luna-class/Vesta-class (once introduced).

After dealing with all those precedents and working on lessons learned, I could see the environment team pitching in on an improved 25th-century interior layout. It'd be even better if they could have some of those be more modern restylings of smaller ship layouts too.

But that's... a lot of work. ~_~
  • Options
    edited June 2011

This is one of the questions I posed for the next Ask Cryptic. I'm hoping DStahl gives it an answer...

What would remastered interiors mean for people who already purchased the "canon" bridges? I'm not paying twice for something I should have had from the beginning.

Harry: I was speaking more about a full TNG set like the TOS one recently released.... not just the bridge.

Dreamer: I was thinking the same thing. Maybe when they come out with the TNG ship pack (properly re-done bridge, full interiors [ten forward, main engineering, sickbay, etc], shuttle, hand phasers, etc) they could give everyone who purchased the previous Galaxy bridge pack the new and improved version... they just wouldn't get the rest of the pack... only the bridge.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Do I get a discount because I already bought the bridge part? Probably not.;)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zoberraz wrote: »
    My thinking was that it might be best for them to go chronologically up.

They've got the TOS interior up. Next would be the TMP one (probably patterned after Star Trek II+III, with perhaps alternate texture skins to match the Star Trek VI era) so to provide adequate interiors for Constitution Refits and Excelsiors. Heck, didn't the Ambassador-class set also pick up from there?

That way, as they keep going up, each era is checked off. They could very well do it for a more tangible purpose at the same time, such as a mission occurring aboard another Excelsior/Ambassador-class vessel, for example (no need to go as far as time travel when we've got the ships already in-game). They could use that very same environment to remaster the interior of missions such as the ones where you go help the U.S.S. Kirk fend of B'vat's boarding teams, or have Q send you back into the past to stop Borg from killing Sisko on the Saratoga.

Steadily, they could keep continuing making interior sets and insert them in-game - the Galaxy-class layout would be next, and could again be inserted in to remaster some environments accordingly. Defiant-style interiors then follow up (I'm at a loss to have them match an existing mission, though); and after Sovereign-style which could match the Assault Cruisers just as much as they'd match the Luna-class/Vesta-class (once introduced).

After dealing with all those precedents and working on lessons learned, I could see the environment team pitching in on an improved 25th-century interior layout. It'd be even better if they could have some of those be more modern restylings of smaller ship layouts too.

But that's... a lot of work. ~_~

A lot of work, yes. But this idea is a really good one. I know it would take a while to be done, but it would still be good to see accurate Bridges for some of the featured Starships.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Well I'd also like to have a proper interior for the Intrepid and Sovereign class ships.

The point being we can't really get a Galaxy interior without creating interiors for every other ship, as the Galaxy isn't everyone's favorite class.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Cwag wrote:
    Well I'd also like to have a proper interior for the Intrepid and Sovereign class ships.

The point being we can't really get a Galaxy interior without creating interiors for every other ship, as the Galaxy isn't everyone's favorite class.

I understand that the Galaxy isn't EVERYONE'S favorite ship... but by your logic we wouldn't even have the TOS interiors that are already out.

I'm just wondering if it's in the works and who else out there would love to see it :)
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I understand that the Galaxy isn't EVERYONE'S favorite ship... but by your logic we wouldn't even have the TOS interiors that are already out.

I'm just wondering if it's in the works and who else out there would love to see it :)

This.

As a side note I think we should progress through the shows to get the broadest possible of spectrum of players happy before doing more TOS stuff with their movie sets. Id recommend an order like this:

TOS (Already done)
    TNG - Galaxy
    DS9 - Defiant
    VOY - Intrepid

TOS Movies - Constitution Refit = TOS ST II and ST III Interiors - BOP
    TNG Movies - Sovereign

This way we hit a broad spectrum of ships not just "TOS Cruiser, TOS Crusier, TNG Cruiser, TNG Cruiser...what? People who don't fly cruisers want new interiors? Well too bad for those freaks..."
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Chiaran wrote:
    This.

As a side note I think we should progress through the shows to get the broadest possible of spectrum of players happy before doing more TOS stuff with their movie sets. Id recommend an order like this:

TOS (Already done)
    TNG - Galaxy
    DS9 - Defiant
    VOY - Intrepid

TOS Movies - Constitution Refit = TOS ST II and ST III Interiors - BOP
    TNG Movies - Sovereign

This way we hit a broad spectrum of ships not just "TOS Cruiser, TOS Crusier, TNG Cruiser, TNG Cruiser...what? People who don't fly cruisers want new interiors? Well too bad for those freaks..."

but....but....but......i want the voyager one:( lol
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Summit wrote: »
    but....but....but......i want the voyager one:( lol

Me too...Me too...

Edit: Actually...I just noticed something

The first appearance of the Defiant was episode 1 of season 3 which aired in 1996, Voyager first appeared in 1995 perhaps we can make an argument that chronologically speaking the Intrepid should come first!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Chiaran wrote:
    Me too...Me too...

Edit: Actually...I just noticed something

The first appearance of the Defiant was episode 1 of season 3 which aired in 1996, Voyager first appeared in 1995 perhaps we can make an argument that chronologically speaking the Intrepid should come first!

=O i shall prove this...to the courts!
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    They should focus on fixing the generic interior first. Give us a temporary interior for all ships that isn't TRIBBLE big. Then work on ship specific ones. Start with the TOS movies, that way they have a head start with TNG places like the corridors, battle bridge, Jr. officer quarters, conference room, Engineering, they just need to fine tune the details adding 24th century LCARS. A TOS movie interior set would benefit the most ships in STO: Miranda, Constitution, Excelsior, Oberth, and eventually the Ambassador.

Then they could do the Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid and Sovereign interiors.

My personal preference is for a Defiant interior. That is the one ship most desperate for it's unique interior, as all the other ships seen in Star Trek can trace their sets back to The Motion Picture, the Defiant just doesn’t look right with it's Voyager Amphitheatre mess hall and sick bay, and massive captains quarters and ridiculously big Sovereign Engine room.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Guys. guys.. GUYS...

talks of TNG Interiors has been in Devs's list for long time and dstahl leaked "Scaled TNG Interiors" on his ER once and i caught it on his ER back in Late 2010 lol and it was a fatal error and he had it removed to avoid surprising the Players. i'm only one who saw that :D

so i'm pretty sure it's coming after Season 4 Launch.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MrJ wrote:
    They should focus on fixing the generic interior first. Give us a temporary interior for all ships that isn't TRIBBLE big. Then work on ship specific ones. Start with the TOS movies, that way they have a head start with TNG places like the corridors, battle bridge, Jr. officer quarters, conference room, Engineering, they just need to fine tune the details adding 24th century LCARS. A TOS movie interior set would benefit the most ships in STO: Miranda, Constitution, Excelsior, Oberth, and eventually the Ambassador.

Then they could do the Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid and Sovereign interiors.

My personal preference is for a Defiant interior. That is the one ship most desperate for it's unique interior, as all the other ships seen in Star Trek can trace their sets back to The Motion Picture, the Defiant just doesn’t look right with it's Voyager Amphitheatre mess hall and sick bay, and massive captains quarters and ridiculously big Sovereign Engine room.

If the argument for all of those ships still being in service in 2409 is that they have been constantly updated the movie interior doesn't really make much sense for them. Also in no way does then the TOS interior serve the largest number of ships. This game has a preponderance of TNG era and later ships that would best be served by those interiors. If you include all the skins as separate classes of ship then there are 52 (approximate number I counted in a hurry) classes of ship in the game that would best be classified as TNG or later whereas there are only 9 classes carried over earlier time periods and of those 9 there are 2 that would be ill served by TOS interiors (the NX and the D'Kyr).

If we were simply going to go for the biggest bang for our buck then anything having to do with TOS would be quite far down the lists indeed.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Chiaran wrote:
    If the argument for all of those ships still being in service in 2409 is that they have been constantly updated the movie interior doesn't really make much sense for them. Also in no way does then the TOS interior serve the largest number of ships.

That's why the first thing I said was that the devs should fix the generic 25th century interior, before going on to specific ones from the shows.

Besides, the 23rd century designed ships have had the same interiors for almost 100 years (TMP-DS9 season 1), would they really change that much in appearance in the last 30 years?

Chiaran wrote:
    This game has a preponderance of TNG era and later ships that would best be served by those interiors. If you include all the skins as separate classes of ship then there are 52 (approximate number I counted in a hurry) classes of ship in the game that would best be classified as TNG or later whereas there are only 9 classes carried over earlier time periods and of those 9 there are 2 that would be ill served by TOS interiors (the NX and the D'Kyr).

If we were simply going to go for the biggest bang for our buck then anything having to do with TOS would be quite far down the lists indeed.

When people say TNG interior they typically mean Galaxy class. That would work for the Galaxy class and Nebula, that's about it. All other 24th and 25th century ships have had unique interiors. Whereas the TOS movie interior is more generic and useful on a larger selection of ships. I can't think of 52 ships in game that would fit a Galaxy interior and bridge. That is why the next interior that we get should be the default/generic 25th century interior followed by the TOS movie era (refit Constitution), then Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, NX-01 etc...
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    MrJ wrote:
    That's why the first thing I said was that the devs should fix the generic 25th century interior, before going on to specific ones from the shows.

Besides, the 23rd century designed ships have had the same interiors for almost 100 years (TMP-DS9 season 1), would they really change that much in appearance in the last 30 years?

When people say TNG interior they typically mean Galaxy class. That would work for the Galaxy class and Nebula, that's about it. All other 24th and 25th century ships have had unique interiors. Whereas the TOS movie interior is more generic and useful on a larger selection of ships. I can't think of 52 ships in game that would fit a Galaxy interior and bridge. That is why the next interior that we get should be the default/generic 25th century interior followed by the TOS movie era (refit Constitution), then Galaxy, Defiant, Intrepid, NX-01 etc...

I do not believe that both of the first two specific refits should be from TOS. It just ignores the other series fans to the benefit of the fans of one specific series.

That having been said you can use pretty much any bridge/interior with pretty much any model ship as long as they are from roughly the same era I don't think there is a hard fast rule. I certainly wouldn't hesitate to throw an Intrepid Interior on my Nebula, provided they didn't actually lay out the shape of the corriders to match being inside an Intrepid shaped saucer.

TOS - Constitution

Generic 25th Century

TOS - Constitution Refit

Is hardly a fair arrangement for the other fans. Share a little.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Zehra wrote:
    Summonable "Armus, Skin of Evil" combat pet

sorry i can't take that Episode serious anymore after i have noticed this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Js_Gu_PpZAo#t=8m10s

pay close attention to LaForge's Phaser ^^
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Chiaran wrote:

TOS - Constitution

Generic 25th Century

TOS - Constitution Refit

Is hardly a fair arrangement for the other fans. Share a little.

Other fans like me? My favourite series is DS9, my main character in STO is a Vice Admiral who fly’s a refit Defiant, the other is a Klingon. I would love to have a Defiant interior in game now, but I am willing to wait for other interiors first. It makes sense to have ship interiors added in chronological order.
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Yeah but TOS only really featured one ship, the Enterprise. In TNG era, we have multiple ships, such as Voyager, the Defiant, the Galaxy, the Sovereign, so they can't really focus on one, because they are so many that people want interiors for.

Now if they would want to tackle creating an interior for each iconic ship, such as the ones listed above (and maybe the Enterprise F), I'm all for it.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    I think Stahl seemed inclined towards the Sovereign next, which the default is based on but also intentionally deviates from in some places like color scheme.

I'd imagine a new Default and a proper Sovereign would come close together.

I'd expect that the Connie Refit and Galaxy interiors would come close together since they are the same sets with a few locations reassigned. Same engineering set with a different warpcore. Same hallways with a different paintjob. The TNG Observation Lounge is the Connie Refit Banquet room. The Connie Refit bridge is the secondary Battle Bridge on the Galaxy. The Connie Refit torpedo bay is a mild re-dress of one of the Klingon bridges we already have in-game.

The TNG Ten Forward set was turned upside down to become Voyager's mess hall and doubled as the UFP President's office on earth.

Here's a handy reference site:

http://pat.suwalski.net/film/st-stages/
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    A point to make here is that we all seem to agree that all of them should be done, were just squabbling over the order in which they get done.
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    here is the ORDER:
    TOS
    TMP
    TNG
    Future