What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Hargh'Peng Torpedos

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    I don't get it Cryptic. FED's stole these torpedoes from the Klingons - right? So Klingon faction should use them from a long time? Now, on every pvp we have Harpeng party and every fed have it in his inventory. FED's, as usual, get first all the toys. This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Atari Community Rules and Policies ~<GM Jahia>

Thats Right :D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SandDog wrote:
    Heck, even in that post it says you have to use lots of those torpedos for them to die. I can just use a couple of quantums and watch them die.

True. It's fun but it doesn't add anything. Which is probably a good thing considering that everyone would be using them if they were to add an advantage
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Other than the final detonation being unstoppable and the dmg it does the Pengs aren't anything massive. If Cryptic fixes that secondary boom to be an AOE (like I thought it was supposed to be but I could be wrong) they'll be just fine. But having the number of explosions increase with the number of allies around the target ship is a bit crazy.

Although, I noticed at one point, the secondary explosion rack off 5 times with dmg between 2-3 k each time. By the same token my Photon torps being fired with HY1 both of those torps hit direct to hull (enemy shields down) for around 4-5k each. Had I been using HY2 or 3 one could expect that all 3 or 4 torps (depending on which HY) would hit for about the same amount.

To conclude: I don't really think the Peng is massively OP but I do think it's foolish to have the secondary explosion affect the primary target more than once and though I havent witnessed this myself, its my understanding that HE doesn't negate the secondary explosion ,which according to the documentation, it should.

As for Klinks not having access to it, GOOD! Feddies stole it fair and square. When my Defiant R can cloak in the middle of being shot to run away and Klinks can no longer take a 5 v 5 match and turn it into a 30 v 5 match (of course Feds seem to be getting good at that too with sci fleets and mines) then the El Klinkos can get the Peng.
    Until then, feel my Peng on your face! :D

On further thought; Why can't Cryptic just add Pengs to the skill tree with the upcoming torpedo revamp and scale their dmg and effect like they did with Tricobalts? If one wants the oddly excessive dmg that goes with them, like Trics, then they can get it but at a cost. Otherwise they do mediocre to poor dmg like an unskilled Tric does now.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    alkem wrote: »
    As for Klinks not having access to it, GOOD! Feddies stole it fair and square.

Stole it from who? The Klingons? How could you steal something from the Klingons that the Klingons do not have?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    SandDog wrote:
    Yeah I am sure about that. I used it few times in PvE, I was able to kill faster without. According to that thread it is currently broken. The player is supposed to be able to clear the final detonation. That thread says the player can't. Is there really even a final detonation? I personally have never even seen it.

Heck, even in that post it says you have to use lots of those torpedos for them to die. I can just use a couple of quantums and watch them die.

http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=217276

Please go to that thread, check out how 1 har'peng detonation impacted my hull. It's caused by proximity to nearby allies (players, spam, etc.)

There's been testing where peng dets reach 48k+ straight hull damage, bypassing shields.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    superchum wrote: »
    Stole it from who? The Klingons? How could you steal something from the Klingons that the Klingons do not have?

I believe this is what is called "Cryptic" logic
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    superchum wrote: »

My head just exploded...
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Matunus wrote:
    This could be said about any weapon so what are you getting at.

What everyone else is complaining about.........tone the Hargh'Pengs down.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The earlier story mission. When the feddies go in and "disrupt" the manufacture of the Har Pengs. Unless that story bit was moved/deleted or changed, it has been awhile since I did it.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's bugged, and it's a holiday weekend. They'll look at it when they're at work.

PvPers should have tested it on Tribble.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Azurian wrote: »
    What everyone else is complaining about.........tone the Hargh'Pengs down.

The way you are saying it its like its the only 1 shot weapon out there hell you can 1 shot with bo3.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    syberghost wrote: »
    PvPers should have tested it on Tribble.

Or, y'know, Cryptic should do a little QA of it's own...

Z
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    zordar wrote: »
    Or, y'know, Cryptic should do a little QA of it's own...

Do you think sitting around wishing for that will make it happen? Because you CAN do something about testing on Tribble, but all you can do about QA is post on the forums. Which do you think will accomplish more?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Because you CAN do something about testing on Tribble, but all you can do about QA is post on the forums. Which do you think will accomplish more?

Let me think... New Faw™ was reported when it was on tribble, 2 months ago. Didn't really help, did it?

And: the hargh'peng issue has probably been introduced with the damage buff that occurred AFTER tribble testing.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Do you think sitting around wishing for that will make it happen? Because you CAN do something about testing on Tribble, but all you can do about QA is post on the forums. Which do you think will accomplish more?

It was, in fact, tested on tribble. In its original form, it was severely under powered, so they buffed it based on our feedback, but then the second version never made it to tribble, and was released.

Right now there seems to be several glaring problems with it...First, you can equip however many you want. Second, it seems the AOE damage effect is broken, applying all the damage inflicted on ships around you to your ship instead. Third, the secondary explosion disregards shields.

So what we have is a torpedo that passes shields, nukes people if they're surrounded by allies, you can equip as many as you want, and it wasn't tested in this form.

THATS the problem.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Matunus wrote:
    The way you are saying it its like its the only 1 shot weapon out there hell you can 1 shot with bo3.

1 Shots with Beams or Torpedoes is a matter of luck in getting a super crit. But the mechanics of the Hargh'peng has now been revealed and people are exploiting that in PvP to get 1-shot kills far frequently. That's the difference.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Probably the best feature is the radiation damage from the torpedo. If this happens then the radiation will be there for about 15 seconds and once it reaches 0 there is an explosion that causes damage to the enemy's hull.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Matunus wrote:
    This could be said about any weapon so what are you getting at.

That couldn't be said of any weapon actually.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It was, in fact, tested on tribble. In its original form, it was severely under powered, so they buffed it based on our feedback, but then the second version never made it to tribble, and was released.

Right now there seems to be several glaring problems with it...First, you can equip however many you want. Second, it seems the AOE damage effect is broken, applying all the damage inflicted on ships around you to your ship instead. Third, the secondary explosion disregards shields.

So what we have is a torpedo that passes shields, nukes people if they're surrounded by allies, you can equip as many as you want, and it wasn't tested in this form.

THATS the problem.

I think the second explosion should ignore shields since the explosion is on your ship inside your shields how would shields effect that might i ask?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Wow, you people don't get it do you?

1.) This weapon was a prototype developed specifically to combat the Doomsday device. Key word, being prototype. The Klingons never mass produced the thing.

2.) Klingons aren't exactly a united front when it comes ot Houses. (They still fight each other like the backwards people they are.) Do you honeslty think that whatever house that developed the torpedo, would share such a weapon with every other house automatically and at the same time?
    I'll give you the answer: No.

3.) Since Starfleet and the Doomsday device wiped out the Klingon forces and ships (in my mission anyways), it's logical to assume that no KDF survived or escaped with the knowledge to continue on the project. No data, no doomsday device, etc. Starfleet has the working devices and could backwards engineer them no problem.

So no, it's not cryptic logic, it's common frakking sense. Just like Feds aren't Carrier or Cloak heavy, Klingons aren't a united front, and don't share with each other easily. :rolleyes:
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Probably the best feature is the radiation damage from the torpedo. If this happens then the radiation will be there for about 15 seconds and once it reaches 0 there is an explosion that causes damage to the enemy's hull.

The best part is that you can clear the radiation but you can't avoid the secondary exploison. And the secondary explosion is worse the more allies you have around you?

I suppose if this was a KDF version, it would be called Fedball Breaker... But of course, the KDF just invented it, the Feds are using it...

The idea of the torpedo and the mission is pretty cool. It saddens me to think they are ruining half the fun of it by TRIBBLE up the implementation in various details.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    gx4th wrote: »
    http://forums.startrekonline.com/showthread.php?t=217276

Please go to that thread, check out how 1 har'peng detonation impacted my hull. It's caused by proximity to nearby allies (players, spam, etc.)

There's been testing where peng dets reach 48k+ straight hull damage, bypassing shields.

^^ Listen to this guy and check out that thread if you haven't already.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    The best part is that you can clear the radiation but you can't avoid the secondary exploison. And the secondary explosion is worse the more allies you have around you?

I suppose if this was a KDF version, it would be called Fedball Breaker... But of course, the KDF just invented it, the Feds are using it...

The idea of the torpedo and the mission is pretty cool. It saddens me to think they are ruining half the fun of it by TRIBBLE up the implementation in various details.

Nah, they wouldn't call it the Fedball Breaker, they'd call it overpowered.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I suppose if this was a KDF version, it would be called Fedball Breaker...

What do you think the klingon name for i really means? :D
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    moonseye wrote: »
    What do you think the klingon name for i really means? :D

It literally means battle torpedo

Hargh = fight, battle
    peng = torpedo

However, I'd love for it all to be a Melville allusion to Moby TRIBBLE.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Am I the only one that feels that this proc would be better suited to chroniton torpedoes? They act exactly like the Krenim warheads from "Year of Hell."
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    And once they're fixed, why not bring it into production and allow them to be bought and crafted. The federation doesn't have a stranglehold on technological development, and I'd like to see some new klingon created items besides bat'leths.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I tried out a couple of them as forward weapons and they didnt do much at all. Of course i was in a cruiser you might get better use out of them with an escourt and tetryon cannons but the damage they do is virtually throw off compared to anything else dont let anyone tell you different. They are a modest beginner torpedo but thats it.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Solardream wrote: »
    Wait a moment...don't the KDF have carrier and we Feds don't?
    Feds have science ships and kligons have carriers. Even if the carrier was better it still wouldnt be fair couse the PVP maches are 5 fed vs 3 kligon...
  • Options
    edited May 2011

who cares how cheap they are just slap 3 on your ship and you are set to go in PvP. A barrage of those things is an auto win! But Devs don't ever give them to Klingons because they will put them on B'rel refits and shoot us through the cloak :(