test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Talking to the bridge officer while cloaked?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
What is the rational thinking behind this situation.

Whenever, I do exploration missions where I have to defeat of eliminate an enemy ship. I will destroy an enemy squad. Engage my battle cloaking device to avid having the new enemy contact detect my presence in the area. My bridge officer will notify me that there is a new enemy contact because my bridge officer thinks us commanders do not know how to read a sensor indicator. When my bridge officer talks to me on the bridge, my ship will de-cloak for some weird reason.

Is the cloaking device designed to not work when a bridge officer on the bridge is talking to the captain? I have noticed on some TV episodes that Romulans and Klingons are able to talk to each other while cloaked.

Is this a bug or a planned event?

Thank you
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited May 2011
    Known issue.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    it is a bug
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It is indeed a bug. One that Cryptic has known about for months now, still no word on if it will ever get fixed.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    MrJ wrote:
    It is indeed a bug. One that Cryptic has known about for months now, still no word on if it will ever get fixed.

Here you go:
    dstahl wrote: »
    Under Investigation
    These issues are hot topics in the QA and CS world. It by no means represents all the bugs we're looking into, but instead new issues that
    I want you to know we are on top of.
    • Updates to the Fire at Will power
    • Random Client crashes when playing as a female Tellarite
    • Support pets attacking enemy faction on social zones like Drozana station
    • Additional cloak and contact window issues
    • KDF Shield quadrants not updating after using cloaking device
    • Kit icons displaying improper Marks
    • Weapon FX that fire twice when activated
    • Camera positions being reset when you transfer maps
    • Auto-Teaming not functioning on some maps
    • KDF Scan area function only tracks first scanned anomaly in ground maps
    • Ground settings being reset between map transitions
    • Latency causing some powers to remain "stuck on" after zoning
    • Ship customizations not saving properly when exiting the customization screen
    • Tons of Season 4 related bugs to prepare for Season 4 going to Tribble

They are working on a fix.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Science officer "Capulet we have found a thread with lol's"
    *Decloaks*

I sooo hate that bug *Shoots science officer*
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It may be more time consuming than anything. Non-BOff communications should still decloak you. It may be a case where they have manually set each box.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It may be more time consuming than anything. Non-BOff communications should still decloak you. It may be a case where they have manually set each box.

No it shouldn't.

There is zero precedent for this in the show. We have seen cloaked ships communicating with non-cloaked ships numerous times. We have seen communications decloaking a ship exactly zero times.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    No it shouldn't.

There is zero precedent for this in the show. We have seen cloaked ships communicating with non-cloaked ships numerous times. We have seen communications decloaking a ship exactly zero times.

And none of these have anything to do with how easy it may or may not be to address in a video game, which is presumably what the Commodore meant by "time-consuming".
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Jexsam wrote: »
    And none of these have anything to do with how easy it may or may not be to address in a video game, which is presumably what the Commodore meant by "time-consuming".

No, read what he said again. He said it may be time consuming in direct relation to his theory that they would need to individually set each box in the game, because he feels that communications from outside the ship, but not those from BOs inside the ship, should decloak you.

I'm not disputing that this is obviously a time consuming bug to fix, I'm simply saying that there is no evidence in the show to support being decloaked by external communications with your ship, and that no communication whatsoever should ever do so, canonically (and annoyance-related) speaking.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    No, read what he said again. He said it may be time consuming in direct relation to his theory that they would need to individually set each box in the game, because he feels that communications from outside the ship, but not those from BOs inside the ship, should decloak you.

I'm not disputing that this is obviously a time consuming bug to fix, I'm simply saying that there is no evidence in the show to support being decloaked by external communications with your ship, and that no communication whatsoever should ever do so, canonically (and annoyance-related) speaking.

True, there is nothing in canon to say they should decloak in order to communicate. But there is a prime example in canon (Unification) of the Klingon captain having an ever loving fit at the idea of sending a communication while cloaked in Romulan space because the Romulans will spot them in a heartbeat.

In the game universe, you represent this "spotting" as decloaking. So while BOff communications should not decloak you, all other communications should. Turning on your radio breaks the cloak (Federation sensors will pick it up).

In either case, they may have to manually change how each dialogue box functions. And that is time consuming.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    True, there is nothing in canon to say they should decloak in order to communicate. But there is a prime example in canon (Unification) of the Klingon captain having an ever loving fit at the idea of sending a communication while cloaked in Romulan space because the Romulans will spot them in a heartbeat.

In the game universe, you represent this "spotting" as decloaking. So while BOff communications should not decloak you, all other communications should. Turning on your radio breaks the cloak (Federation sensors will pick it up).

In either case, they may have to manually change how each dialogue box functions. And that is time consuming.

No, no it shouldn't. I can see now that you're just another fed that wants to nerf Klingons for no good reason. This isn't even a PvP issue, you just want to make our PvE missions more annoying. Thank you very much, I'm glad the devs are unlikely to listen to you.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    No, no it shouldn't. I can see now that you're just another fed that wants to nerf Klingons for no good reason. This isn't even a PvP issue, you just want to make our PvE missions more annoying. Thank you very much, I'm glad the devs are unlikely to listen to you.

Read this very carefully: I PLAY A KLINGON CHARACTER!!! I don't play him all the time, but I play one. And the only time I get aggravated is when I decloak when talking to a BOff. Sending a subspace communication to a planet to break my cloak causes me no grief.

You don't know me. Do not make baseless accusations about me or my opinions. I can come up with a lot better ways to nerf the Klingons for no reason than turning off their cloaks when they get a pop-up.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:

Now c'mon Kas, that's a bit harsh, don't you think? I think he's got a point, external communication is, in real life, a way to find people, in WWII they would listen for German transmissions, not that they could read them (at first), but to Triangulate the position of the sender. Making STO more realistic is not a bad thing, and making it match up to Trek canon is the best possible thing.

I think there should be a method of detection between fully-decloaked and fully-cloaked, maybe a large oddly-shaped smoky bubble in space that represents the possible location of the cloaked ship? It could even be used as a mission mechanic, a ship running Sensor Sweep, or Tachyon Detection Grid, or running a high Aux patrolling the smoky bubble will shrink it until they get within 2km of the ship, or eliminate all the bubble except from immediatly around the cloaked ship.. And then the ship is visible (as a smoky outline) to the ship doing the scanning/TDG/etc.., and if the ship gets out of a certain range (say, 15km) it disappears entirely again, until the process restarts with a new bubble when a ship starts scanning/TDG/Etc..
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Actually, this is not a 100% Bug - as in game error.
    We had the problem that the cloak did not always drop when it should. That causes big game balancing issues over time and we addressed them. THIS is a side-effect of what the fix brought in. It is a bug in so far, as that it's not doing what we really wanted, though it did fix the previous problem.

While that's of course not amazingly awesome, we are indeed, as mentioned by other posters, working on shifting things so that what the previous issue was and what the current issue is both don't bother players anymore.

And on a related note: Please keep it friendly. :)
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Katic wrote: »
    Now c'mon Kas, that's a bit harsh, don't you think?

*sigh* Probably. Sorry Bob. I still strongly disagree with you though.
    Katic wrote: »
    think there should be a method of detection between fully-decloaked and fully-cloaked, maybe a large oddly-shaped smoky bubble in space that represents the possible location of the cloaked ship? It could even be used as a mission mechanic, a ship running Sensor Sweep, or Tachyon Detection Grid, or running a high Aux patrolling the smoky bubble will shrink it until they get within 2km of the ship, or eliminate all the bubble except from immediatly around the cloaked ship.. And then the ship is visible (as a smoky outline) to the ship doing the scanning/TDG/etc.., and if the ship gets out of a certain range (say, 15km) it disappears entirely again, until the process restarts with a new bubble when a ship starts scanning/TDG/Etc..

I just don't like it. I think it's obvious that cloaked ships have some way of masking their communications. Maybe the cloak itself has some kind of scattering effect.

I think Chang, Shinzon, and others would have been more easily discovered if you could just trace someone's communications to pinpoint their ship.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I think receiving a popup of any kind shouldn't break cloak, but clicking "Continue" if it's from a non-boff should.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    *sigh* Probably. Sorry Bob. I still strongly disagree with you though.

It's no problem. I'm not out to do the Klingons harm. I'm out to do what is best for game balance and realism.

syberghost wrote: »
    I think receiving a popup of any kind shouldn't break cloak, but clicking "Continue" if it's from a non-boff should.

This could be a good compromise. Sometimes I would have no problem with my cloak being broken if it would just give me minute to move to another location first.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    I think Chang, Shinzon, and others would have been more easily discovered if you could just trace someone's communications to pinpoint their ship.

I just target that explosion and FIRE
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is it just me or have people suddenly forgotten Star Trek 6?

Chang's BoP was cloaked for 90% of the battle above Khitomer, and he was quoting Shakespeare at Kirk the whole time, yet the Enterprise couldn't trace the transmission, nor lock a photon onto it Uhura had the brainstorm about the equipment for scanning gaseous anomalies.

The same thing in Generations, although the Duras sisters didn't bother responding until after they'd decloaked themselves.

Now I don't play a Klingon character yet, but I would be annoyed to no end if every transmission, whether BOff or planet, caused me to drop out of cloak... It just shouldn't happen at all, and I'm glad the devs are working on correcting the problem for the Klingons.

My $0.02
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    I see no reason why receiving and sending transmissions would drop you cloak. Communications and cloaking are two totally separate systems that would not interact like that.

I can however see a stealth debuff from sending a communication that expires once you change your speed or direction to account for and added sign of your location and current vector
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    WishStone wrote:
    We had the problem that the cloak did not always drop when it should. That causes big game balancing issues over time and we addressed them. THIS is a side-effect of what the fix brought in. It is a bug in so far, as that it's not doing what we really wanted, though it did fix the previous problem.

While that's of course not amazingly awesome, we are indeed, as mentioned by other posters, working on shifting things so that what the previous issue was and what the current issue is both don't bother players anymore.

So what's the ETA of the resolution for this issue?

Z
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    As I understand it, they have to fix every map. So awhile, probably a LONG while. Or so they said in Stoked.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    zordar wrote: »
    So what's the ETA of the resolution for this issue?

Z

I don't even remember them using the word soon when I saw a dev post about it a while back so my guess would be sometime between now and the end of 2012.

If I was a betting man my money would be closer to the end of that window.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Is it just me or have people suddenly forgotten Star Trek 6?

Chang's BoP was cloaked for 90% of the battle above Khitomer, and he was quoting Shakespeare at Kirk the whole time, yet the Enterprise couldn't trace the transmission, nor lock a photon onto it Uhura had the brainstorm about the equipment for scanning gaseous anomalies.

Well, considering all the inside people working against Kirk, it makes sense they couldn't find him. That being said, sensors in the 25th century are a touch better than those in the 23rd century while radio tech is still roughly the same or requires even more energy to operate. "Modern" sensors may just be more likely to pick up your rambling Klingon playwright than Kirk-era sensors.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Arkin wrote: »
    As I understand it, they have to fix every map. So awhile, probably a LONG while. Or so they said in Stoked.

If it's map-dependent then they should fix the maps that get the most traffic first, right? So why have FE rerun month and not tweak those maps to fix this, since those were guaranteed to get tons of traffic? Then fix the FE maps that are dailies (i.e., Deferi), etc, etc. The fact that that isn't happening makes the map-dependent thing suspect.

I'd like an official response rather than third- or forth-hand reports. We can go back and forth debating the why's and how's of this forever but one official post can resolve any uncertainty. If anyone has a link to where a dev/mod stated something regarding this with an estimated time of repair I'd appreciate it.

Z
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    WishStone wrote:

So what was broken that needed to be fixed by this mechanic? What was the issue that was going to be unbalancing over time? If we hadn't reached it yet, why didn't you all wait until this could be implemented properly?
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    It's no problem. I'm not out to do the Klingons harm. I'm out to do what is best for game balance and realism..

Except that it's not canon, it's just your idea of how it should work that completely contradicts canon.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Well, considering all the inside people working against Kirk, it makes sense they couldn't find him. That being said, sensors in the 25th century are a touch better than those in the 23rd century while radio tech is still roughly the same or requires even more energy to operate. "Modern" sensors may just be more likely to pick up your rambling Klingon playwright than Kirk-era sensors.

That's pure conjecture, with nothing based on what we saw on screen. When it comes to an issue like this, that's all that matters.
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Kasensal wrote:
    That's pure conjecture, with nothing based on what we saw on screen. When it comes to an issue like this, that's all that matters.

But there is a point where game machanics and canon will clash. Where do you draw the line? While this is a universe created to resemble the world of Star Trek, it is still at its core a game. Games should have obstacles to overcome and challenges to work through. The rules of the game and the story Cryptic is trying to tell will untimately be the final determining factor on which boxes do what.

And that leads me back to my original point. This is a "bug" and the main way of fixing it is going through each dialogue box and determining whether it is one that should decloak the player or not. And that takes time.