test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What are your favorite Foundry Missions?

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the responses so far everyone!

Now, who has KDF mission recommendations?
    edited January 2011
    My fave so far is "The Worst of Both Worlds" by Captain_Revo
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

Unless you update the OP, your going to keep getting Fed responses. It might be most effective to post a separate thread for KDF missions.
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

indirect espionage by katic is quite good.
    edited January 2011
    Can we get the char. transfer to tribble working? Please. I wanted to test out some of other peoples mission this weekend but can copy my fed over ( i deleted him before i knew transfer was broke!)

Please, i will make cookies!

EDIT: it is working now!! too bad i hvae no time tonight.
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

The Killing Circus by HeathenStorm is quite good.

I was continually reminded of a certain movie, starring the Governator.
    edited January 2011
    I'm probably going to sound like a whiner here, but I think this whole idea is slightly unfair. Not all the Foundry missions have been played. I've got a six part series and two episodes of another series on the Foundry and they've barely been looked at. 4 people have played the first of my six part series, 1 person has played part 3, and one person has played the first part of my second series.
    All of my reviews have been 4 stars and above, but since no one else has bothered playing them it doesnt really make a difference.

I'm not trying to make my missions sound awesome or anything, but I know I'm not the only person with this complaint and I can only use myself as an example.

Sorry for the slight rant, but I would just like a fair crack of the whip as I'm sure others would. Thank you for your time.
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

I'd love to self-recommend my KDF "Shakespeare" Missions...

General Keeg
    -and-
    Two Houses of Kapua

General Keeg also has a parallel Federation mission, "Escape from General Keeg" that reveals the "off camera" events that most of the characters of General Keeg were unaware of.
    edited January 2011
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone! My immediate needs have been filled, and you should start hearing more rumors and confirmations of what I've been up to shortly.

In the mean time, please keep posting recommendations for episodes that I should play through!

Also, Ultima_Prime, if you haven't already, make sure to start a thread in this forum (or make a post in one of the threads already in existence) to promote your content.

Something simple is all that should be needed:

"I just published my episode, "A Targ Pup in a Cup". Your crew is baffled and confused when they discover a targ pup has been living in a teacup hidden deep inside a cupboard in Ten Forward. Where did it come from, and why is it so attached to that cup?

Please check it out and let me know what you think!"

Also, send me a PM with a mission of yours you'd like to see me play. I'll do my best to get to it!

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    "I just published my episode, "A Targ Pup in a Cup". Your crew is baffled and confused when they discover a targ pup has been living in a teacup hidden deep inside a cupboard in Ten Forward. Where did it come from, and why is it so attached to that cup?

I have been banging my head against a wall for almost a year now trying to figure out the answer to that very question. :confused:
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    Thanks for the recommendations everyone! My immediate needs have been filled, and you should start hearing more rumors and confirmations of what I've been up to shortly.

In the mean time, please keep posting recommendations for episodes that I should play through!

Also, Ultima_Prime, if you haven't already, make sure to start a thread in this forum (or make a post in one of the threads already in existence) to promote your content.

Something simple is all that should be needed:

Please check it out and let me know what you think!"

Also, send me a PM with a mission of yours you'd like to see me play. I'll do my best to get to it!

Thanks,

Stormshade

You could always give my first shot a try: A Snake Reincarnate
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:
    "A Targ Pup in a Cup".

"Two Targs...One..." Nah, that's too gross.
    edited January 2011
    I'm probably going to sound like a whiner here, but I think this whole idea is slightly unfair. Not all the Foundry missions have been played. I've got a six part series and two episodes of another series on the Foundry and they've barely been looked at. 4 people have played the first of my six part series, 1 person has played part 3, and one person has played the first part of my second series.
    All of my reviews have been 4 stars and above, but since no one else has bothered playing them it doesnt really make a difference.

I'm not trying to make my missions sound awesome or anything, but I know I'm not the only person with this complaint and I can only use myself as an example.

Sorry for the slight rant, but I would just like a fair crack of the whip as I'm sure others would. Thank you for your time.

Have you done anything to promote these missions? Not trying to belittle your post here, but getting people to play the missions involves more than the publish button. Get someone to review it for others, or post screenshots. Making a trailer video is a big plus.
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

LOL! Glad you liked the episode title I thought up for you... :)

But it's supposed to be a KDF Episode and now you changed the story to be in a Starfleet ship's Ten Forward! :mad:

Pfffttt... you just set back all the progress you made toward making KDF players happy with your Starfleet centered thinking! How disappointed I am in you right now... :D
    edited January 2011

Well I played your latest just now and gave it top marks, nicely done.
    edited January 2011
    Thank you all for your feedback. Slightly off topic here, but I really love the STO community, no one seems to troll for fights unneccessarily, if a comment is made people answer and give opinions honestly and fairly :D.

I have added all my missions to date in the Big list topic, but from Stormshades advice I think I will start a fresh topic to promote the series missions on their own.

Malize, thank you very much, I'm glad you enjoyed it :D
    edited January 2011
    To be absolutely honest, I think this is premature.
    All the current missions made by the Foundry are cookie cutter from a regular player perspective. Not because the author can't do better, I'm 100% confident that they can and they will, but because the foundry can't handle better at the moment. Because of that, every mission is a simple go there, kill X things and scan Y things and then kill some more.

The first thing I did on the foundry is that I played a mission with high marks. I played 2 Drozana weekly missions then The Extraction and I was like, "This is it? I killed x ships, y ground enemies and hit F z times. Even some Cryptic missions do better than that." Then I checked the limitations and lowered the standards. From that lowered perspective that mission is very cool and will get better with better tools.

Problem is, that most player in Holodeck won't take the time to check the limitations of the foundry. They will compare it to the complex and advanced Weekly missions. And in that comparison the foundry missions will fail.

I'd hold back until we get the triggers and the braching dialogs (and maybe the some usable building blocks).
    edited January 2011
    Pendra37 wrote: »
    All the current missions made by the Foundry are cookie cutter from a regular player perspective. Not because the author can't do better, I'm 100% confident that they can and they will, but because the foundry can't handle better at the moment. Because of that, every mission is a simple go there, kill X things and scan Y things and then kill some more.

The first thing I did on the foundry is that I played a mission with high marks. I played 2 Drozana weekly missions then The Extraction and I was like, "This is it? I killed x ships, y ground enemies and hit F z times. Even some Cryptic missions do better than that." Then I checked the limitations and lowered the standards. From that lowered perspective that mission is very cool and will get better with better tools.

Problem is, that most player in Holodeck won't take the time to check the limitations of the foundry. They will compare it to the complex and advanced Weekly missions. And in that comparison the foundry missions will fail.

I'd hold back until we get the triggers and the braching dialogs (and maybe the some usable building blocks).

As I understand it the missions are going to get some "additional polish" before they are sent to Holodeck...which I would understand as "take the rough Tribble foundry edges off"
    edited January 2011
    malize wrote: »
    As I understand it the missions are going to get some "additional polish" before they are sent to Holodeck...which I would understand as "take the rough Tribble foundry edges off"

And in this case, they are not showcase missions of the foundry anymore. They will be great fan-fics, but you can't point at them saying that "The foundry can do that!" because it can't (yet).

If the point of this promo is to add neat 3rd party fan-fics to the Holodeck, then the idea is good.
    If the point of this promo is to market the Foundry, then then it is not the right time.
    edited January 2011
    malize wrote: »

Actually, this isn't true.

The episodes chosen for this will be grabbed as they are on Tribble. I've contacted the authors and let them know we're grabbing them (With permission), and when, so they have a chance to check things out and make sure that they are happy with how they are represented once the transfer occurs.

The goal of this is to show off what you guys can do with the tools as they are now. Not what can happen when we get in there and muck with your designs, your story.

I've got to say, the episodes we've chosen are possibly some of the best I've seen, and they certainly rival what we've made so far, with a far more limited tool set. That's not to say that we haven't put out some very high quality episodes. Merely to say that this community is full of incredibly talented, and creative individuals.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

My mistake then, carry on :)
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

The episodes chosen for this will be grabbed as they are on Tribble. I've contacted the authors and let them know we're grabbing them (With permission), and when, so they have a chance to check things out and make sure that they are happy with how they are represented once the transfer occurs.

The goal of this is to show off what you guys can do with the tools as they are now. Not what can happen when we get in there and muck with your designs, your story.

I've got to say, the episodes we've chosen are possibly some of the best I've seen, and they certainly rival what we've made so far, with a far more limited tool set. That's not to say that we haven't put out some very high quality episodes. Merely to say that this community is full of incredibly talented, and creative individuals.

Thanks,

Stormshade

This sounds great. That said, I'm not sure when these episodes are planned to be transferred, but I thought the Foundry itself was going live sometime soon?
    edited January 2011
    See dstahl's update in news section. It has dates.
    edited January 2011
    Syndacite Extraction has been my fav. so far. I played a new one today called Bomari something, it was pretty good too.

Tipping Point is another good one.
    edited January 2011
    StormShade wrote:

Thanks,

Stormshade

Really appreciate that sentiment Stormshade as we'll all working hard to really make STO one of the best games to play for the variety of players out there.
    edited January 2011
    Pendra37 wrote: »

(snip)

I agree that there isnt alot we can have players do in our mission as of yet.

But i disagree that its premature. A good mission, IMO at least, is less defined by what you have to do for objectives (not that that isnt important) and more about the general feel you get from it, be it from NPCs idly doing something as you go past, to the ways the environments have been modified, to having stuff going on in the background that reinforces the story.

Some good examples would be in Tipping point (*spoilers*), where you beam down and walk over to a city built by Altexist, and everyone's lying about dead due to the cold. Or in my own mission Legacy of a Martyr where i've got a whole bunch of ships fighting each other in the background, and the objective is to avoid them and get away.

Its like movies. A good story is certainly a must. But the other half of movie-making is in the post-production...

EDIT: I almost forgot.

The top 3 to me are Tipping point,
    Syndicate Extraction,
    and The Longing.
    edited January 2011
    Too late to make the cut, it looks like, with mine. Good luck to everyone involved.
    edited February 2011
    Too late to make the cut, it looks like, with mine. Good luck to everyone involved.

It's never "too late" to make the cut Leviathan. We're planning to spotlight missions regularly. :D This is just the first round.

Thanks,

Stormshade
    edited February 2011
    I see Syndicate Extraction is now live on Holodeck. Congrats on being the first player-made mission on the live server, and the first of many. :)
    edited February 2011
    I see Syndicate Extraction is now live on Holodeck. Congrats on being the first player-made mission on the live server, and the first of many. :)
    That raises the question in my mind. Is the Foundry fully integrated into Holodeck so I can log in tonight and start transferring my mission from Tribble to Holodeck right away?