test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Limited UGC Mission Slots?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
From the question and answers thread, this was revealed:
We are putting a cap on the number of mission slots you will have for storage, to limit the amount of data we have to maintain on our servers.

If I understand this, it means that all of us can only create X number of missions. Once you publish your 5 or 10 or whatever ugc missions, that' s it.

You can either delete what you've already made, or you can go out and purchase another sub.

I find this extremely disheartening. Do I really want to take the time to really learn the tools, if I can only publish X amount of missions?

Can someone clarify?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    They did the same thing with City of Heroes' Mission Architect. In the MA you have a total of 3 mission slots, but you can purchase up to 4 more IIRC.

So expect something like that to be the case with the Foundry. Cryptic does love its C-Store.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    So they will ask me to pay more for the privilege of adding content to the game? That is pretty messed up. Another thread is demanding that Cryptic compensate UGC authors for their time and efforts. Instead, they may ask us to pay to add the content to their game.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    If the limit is that low then that really stinks. I can see having it at around 30 or so but 3?!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    They did the same thing with City of Heroes' Mission Architect. In the MA you have a total of 3 mission slots, but you can purchase up to 4 more IIRC.

So expect something like that to be the case with the Foundry. Cryptic does love its C-Store.

Well I'd rather like an extension on the amount of missions to be a vet reward, or emblem purchase and have the c-store as an alternative.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well I can understand that there will be a limited amount of mission slots. From what the devs are saying, your missions can be rather long and drawn out. And as long as slots to extend how many missions you can have published are out there via the C-store, then I will be purchasing them (If they are not too expensive!)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I guess that effectively kills my idea to have a lengthy series based on the Rules of Acquisition.
    :mad:
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, I understand that they had to put a limit on UGC missions, but it would be cool, that if your missions are rated good, you get a few additional slots, and if these missions get rated good too, you get even more and so on. Also, I would like the option, that if some players never create new content, they get the offer to donate some of their slots to other players.

But a limit of 3 missions would really suck. I want at least 20!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Anders118 wrote: »
    Well I can understand that there will be a limited amount of mission slots. From what the devs are saying, your missions can be rather long and drawn out. And as long as slots to extend how many missions you can have published are out there via the C-store, then I will be purchasing them (If they are not too expensive!)

Well, from what I have heard about the first version of the Foundry, we will only have the ability to make missions similar to the exploration clusters. So basically, it's a [insert story here] and then destroy 5/6 groups of enemies.

Moving on, if they do limit the number of mission slots, it will be a serious blow to UGC. :mad: (But I will avoid my doom and gloom for a logical response) It's pretty clear that several of us had long story arcs we wanted to tell. At least I would think that they would increase server space to accommodate us basically helping the developers build the game.

Then what if I delete my missions? Will no one else be able to play them? It's hardly fair to the people who come after it is released looking for a good mission to play.

"Oh I heard so much about this storyline on the UGC wiki. But I can't find it anywhere!"
    "The author deleted it so he could make room for more missions."
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hmm, maybe it's possible to save your created missions local on your harddrive. so first you don't really loose your mission if you delete it from the web-foundry. maybe it works like the costumes you created: you only have 3 slots but you can always save them in the sto-folder on your computer.

i mean at least you could change your missions time by time.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hmm, maybe it's possible to save your created missions local on your harddrive. so first you don't really loose your mission if you delete it from the web-foundry. maybe it works like the costumes you created: you only have 3 slots but you can always save them in the sto-folder on your computer.

i mean at least you could change your missions time by time.

Hmm, even if you could save it to your local hard drive, it still bothers me what happens after they're removed from the server.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    a couple of considerations

1. STO needs content more than CO <I think> and cryptic knows it.

2. If I were to say, which of the 2 games has potential to grow more...STO
    there are going to be more movies.....CO, what movies?

3. If there is a 'limit' missions that go public might be taken off the limit list. main reason: do you
    want a player to delete a mission other players are currently in...just to open up a new slot ??
    ...ya ok, we killed the mobs now on to the starbase to arest the spy....bonk, sorry this
    mission no longer exists................................problem?

4. there will be some kinda limit on non-published projects...they do take up memory and then you
    have the folks that start a bunch of stuff then leave it...forever.

5. interestingly enuff...you need to create a toon for testing...to use the foundry...am guessing
    that the toon you make will have X number of available project slots. If you dedicate a second
    test toon...that toon MIGHT also have its own set of project slots. But not sure.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    a couple of considerations

4. there will be some kinda limit on non-published projects...they do take up memory and then you
    have the folks that start a bunch of stuff then leave it...forever.

Of all he points you made this I agree the most. I completely understand, given that even I have some abandoned mission projects saved in word documents right now. But I'm sure the won't take down, or force you to, high ranked well played missions.

Possibly the lower ranked ones based on space, but not those 5 star ones. I just can't imagine that.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Of all he points you made this I agree the most. I completely understand, given that even I have some abandoned mission projects saved in word documents right now. But I'm sure the won't take down, or force you to, high ranked well played missions.

Possibly the lower ranked ones based on space, but not those 5 star ones. I just can't imagine that.

ya, it would just create too many problems
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ya, it would just create too many problems

Besides I can imagine that our first missions will be the 'What can this system do' missions and will probably play no part in our wonderful story arc ideas that everyone has. Once I'm used to it, that mission is NOT going to have a chance at being kept. :D
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    ahh the famous....lets see what this button does....mission

oh, so that is what happens when you put the bartender on the wrong side of the airlock
    you need to fix that
    NO, no no no.....I like it :p
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just a thought ... I know some people have argued that there should be some kind of reward for players who produce high-quality content. While I'm ambivalent on the idea of getting reimbursed for my play time, a thought did pop into my head.

What about rewarding those who consistently have high ranked missions with more UGC slots?

Basically, if you're making super content reward that by letting them present yet more super content.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just a thought ... I know some people have argued that there should be some kind of reward for players who produce high-quality content. While I'm ambivalent on the idea of getting reimbursed for my play time, a thought did pop into my head.

What about rewarding those who consistently have high ranked missions with more UGC slots?

Basically, if you're making super content reward that by letting them present yet more super content.

I really don't have a problem with this compromise, but it could be manipulated and unfair for some. For example, RPmappers or text-heavy reading missions might get low scores, but there are niche groups of players that really like those types of missions. Still, it's better than capping everyone.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    There are a lot of variables to consider

1. In the end, how many players write missions. If it is a ton of them...expect low caps
    If it is a handful of players...they might loosen up on the caps

2. If a mission becomes public...will it be removed from your limit ? There are at least 3
    classifications of UGC..1, the stuff we have not published yet, 2 the published, 3 the ones they
    decide to make public (is now treated as a regular mission, not placed in the UGC tab)

3. Will it be tied to the number of test characters you dedicate to created content ? You get
    upto 2 character slots for created content...am guessing one fed, and one klingon...if you
    offer up both slots (they come off your normal character slots) do you get twice as many
    mission slots?

4. Can you earn more slots? Buy them with latnum ? Energy credits? (doubt it) merits? ect..

5. can you buy them in the C-store ?

6. will vet rewards add more?

LOTS of variables