test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Ability to change dialogue depending on species...

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I hope the tools will allow us to tailor dialogue to specific species/genders as I can envisage many scenarios that would work better if they unfold a bit differently depending on who is doing them.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    Like Klingons speaking in Klingon? I can see how that could be...canon...if not particularly useful

But yes, you script the dialogue for the missions
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I don't know if we would be able to change the dialogue based on species. The developers said that in the first run of the Foundry it's basically a mission creator that can only create the basic missions we saw when the game was first released.

Maybe in later iterations of the Foundry we will see more specifics geared towards particular races but definitely not right away. I think they want to work on the branching dialogue options first before working anything else out.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SP3CTREnyc wrote:
    Like Klingons speaking in Klingon?

No.
    But yes, you script the dialogue for the missions

Not what I need to know. What I need to know is can I script it to detect the species of the player so that I can adjust the dialogue tree accordingly?

For example:

If
    player_species="klingon, liberated_borg, gorn"
    then
    Dialogue "Qapla! It is good to see a fellow warrior out here on the fringe of the Empire! I have an important message for you to deliver to an outpost!"
    else
    Dialogue "Hmmm... I distrust you <insert species class> miserable p'tak! You must prove to me that I can trust you with a message of importance to the Empire!"

That sort of thing ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    As far as I know, there is no real script ingame where missions can detect what character you have and be able to change it accordingly. Now, there are ones that can detect what class you are (I.E. when talking to Bones in Everything old is new again). I would like that option, but they would have to allow us to make basic dialogue, so if we miss a species, it doesn't come up as blank.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    pdidy wrote: »
    As far as I know, there is no real script ingame where missions can detect what character you have and be able to change it accordingly. Now, there are ones that can detect what class you are (I.E. when talking to Bones in Everything old is new again). I would like that option, but they would have to allow us to make basic dialogue, so if we miss a species, it doesn't come up as blank.

The game can detect character class. If you can find that script in the foundry, maybe you can mess with it? All of the information is, obviously, in the game already so you just need to tell your program how to access it.

Good luck, though. And please don't make any missions that only respond favorably to Klinky-dinks.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SP3CTREnyc wrote:
    The game can detect character class. If you can find that script in the foundry, maybe you can mess with it? All of the information is, obviously, in the game already so you just need to tell your program how to access it.

Good luck, though. And please don't make any missions that only respond favorably to Klinky-dinks.

Actually I was intending to make a mission that is *only* for Klingon faction players, but it depends on being able to identify *which* species the player is :rolleyes:

But unless there is a way to script the dialogue and progression tree, I will not be able to do it.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wrote:
    Actually I was intending to make a mission that is *only* for Klingon faction players, but it depends on being able to identify *which* species the player is :rolleyes:

But unless there is a way to script the dialogue and progression tree, I will not be able to do it.
    Actually you bring up a good question and one that I don't think has been asked yet to my knowledge.

Can a mission be "locked down" so it's only open to a particular type of character... i.e. particular faction, class, species, gender?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Actually you bring up a good question and one that I don't think has been asked yet to my knowledge.

Can a mission be "locked down" so it's only open to a particular type of character... i.e. particular faction, class, species, gender?

Yes that is interesting.

My intention was however not to do that beyond just making it a 'Klingon faction' mission...

However what I had in mind was a mission with two 'paths' depending on whether or not the player was from the ruling Klingon species or one of the Klingon Empire's subject species.

The mission I envisage relates to the Empire's internal politics... the dialogue would only make sense tailored to the fact it would depend on: is the player one of the 'rulers' or one of the 'ruled"? ;)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    wrote:
    Yes that is interesting.

My intention was however not to do that beyond just making it a 'Klingon faction' mission...

However what I had in mind was a mission with two 'paths' depending on whether or not the player was from the ruling Klingon species or one of the Klingon Empire's subject species.

The mission I envisage relates to the Empire's internal politics... the dialogue would only make sense tailored to the fact it would depend on: is the player one of the 'rulers' or one of the 'ruled"? ;)

Ahhh ... I accidentally took that further than you meant it.

Though IF you can lock it down the way I was thinking then one possible way to handle your mission would be to duplicate the mission. Set one version up for KDF - Klingon only and the duplicate for KDF - all other species.

Not the ideal situation but I viable workaround.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    evilhippo wrote: »

I know how this would play out already.

Some kid would play it, take a slight offense that his Alien KDF character was treated differently than his Klingon and make a small post on the forum. This would snowball into a greater existential discussion about slavery in video games as an expression of socio-cultural trending.

No matter how interesting it would be.

@SP3CTREnyc is who you want to invite to play that mission if you can make it
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    SP3CTREnyc wrote:
    I know how this would play out already.

Some kid would play it, take a slight offense that his Alien KDF character was treated differently than his Klingon and make a small post on the forum. This would snowball into a greater existential discussion about slavery in video games as an expression of socio-cultural trending.

No matter how interesting it would be.

@SP3CTREnyc is who you want to invite to play that mission if you can make it

Well if it proves possible to do what I have in mind, consider yourself tagged to be the first play tester, hahaha.