test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

So Obvious..but nobody has said it

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Well, I will say it.
I am going to create instance maps of places on earth to use generically in some of my adventures.
Star Fleet academy
Star Fleet HQ
various other locations....The Vulcan compound ....all kinds of places

I am surprised nobody mensioned it yet
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    That is an awesome idea that warrants a big thumbs up in yer direction......Your right, I got so intertwined in the current mission set up that i never paused to give it much thought.

How do you propose to create such a thing given that we'll probably only have the current generic back grounds and such?

Or do you plan to integrate the story thus giving definition to where you are in relation to the mission?

Or do you actually want to create Starfleet academy...which would also be fantastic?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    well, I was going to create exterior maps for say Star Fleet Academy, and important interior buildings.
    Complete with various NPCs. save it.
    Then if I want the player to go there....already got it, cut and paste, fill in the blanks.

Then if I should use the area again, it will be consistant big tree over here...next time, still a big tree there.

Some good areas to create

Star Fleet academy...of course
    Star Fleet HQ
    maybe a nice pub in town
    a downtown area
    beach
    warehouse area
    labs
    public transportation --- large transport pads dedicated to a particular location....local ones are free
    longer distance..you need to go to a hub and use energy credits, unless you have a pass

but you get the idea

earth is ours to dictate
    if you make an outstanding Star Fleet HQ, you can share it with other writers.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    i've been focusing on a Mirror series :P your be going to Mirror Qu'nos... to help the terrans conquer it (againts your will of course)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It has been said. In fact, I was the one who did say it. (if you look on the starbaseugc site you can find my post on it.) But since I don't know how in-depth the Foundry tools are or how collaborative efforts would work, I'm letting it go temporarily until the Foundry hits open beta.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am going to address the Terrans in a 3 part mission set, but that is down the road a bit

a hint....
    looking around SB1...there are some...interesting uniforms walking around lately and
    hasn't the Federation gotten a wee bit ....brutal.

Something to think about
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I am going to address the Terrans in a 3 part mission set, but that is down the road a bit

a hint....
    looking around SB1...there are some...interesting uniforms walking around lately and
    hasn't the Federation gotten a wee bit ....brutal.

Something to think about

owww what terran story arc you got in mind ? :P
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Consider the state of the STO world

war
    undine invasion
    ect...

The mirror universe ...'mirrors' the main universe
    they might be having similar 'problems'
    and or....what happens if the main universe is brought to ruins?
    the mirror universe might suffer a similar fate.

Section 31....and er...13 will do anything to prevent it.
    Deals in the Darkness

"the enemy of my enemy is my friend"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Consider the state of the STO world

war
    undine invasion
    ect...

The mirror universe ...'mirrors' the main universe
    they might be having similar 'problems'
    and or....what happens if the main universe is brought to ruins?
    the mirror universe might suffer a similar fate.

Section 31....and er...13 will do anything to prevent it.
    Deals in the Darkness

"the enemy of my enemy is my friend"

lol i have a mission planned called "The enemy of my enemy is not my friend"
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Yeah, I had thought of doing similar things in my missions. I was going to have missions where you went to specialized areas of Earth Spacedock, Deep Space 9, other well known facilities, but I was also going to have the player make trips to other facilities, like Starbase 24.

Currently, there is no Starbase 24 in game. But there will be in my mission, the player can board the station and for all intents and purposes it functions like a real starbase, complete with areas to purchase weaponry, access the exchange, swap out vessels, ect. But it also plays a role in the story and allows me to generate my own crew for the starbase itself. And even if implementing the special vendors are not possible, I'm still planning on having the player walk the corridors of totally new base facilities. Off the official star charts because some of them are classified, others because they are not major trading bases.

But you all get the idea.

I can't wait to see how walking around Starfleet Academy turns out, that will be awesome.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, I will say it.
    I am going to create instance maps of places on earth to use generically in some of my adventures.
    Star Fleet academy
    Star Fleet HQ
    various other locations....The Vulcan compound ....all kinds of places

I am surprised nobody mensioned it yet

Not sure that's really possible.

As far as I've seen there are very little to no Federation building models in existence at the moment for you to use, let alone anything that would capture the unique feel of the buildings we've already seen on screen. Terrain, as I understand it, also can't be changed and all we can do is choose from surfaces they've already made and used.

Plus... any view of San Fransisco and Paris would be lacking if you couldn't see the Golden Gate Bridge and Eifel Tower in the distant background. In fact.. I don't think there's any surface in STO right now that demonstrates a capacity to have complex "out-of-bounds" backdrop, such as city-scapes.

Anyway... feel free to try, but I'd be prepared for frustration.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »

As far as I've seen there are very little to no Federation building models in existence at the moment for you to use, let alone anything that would capture the unique feel of the buildings we've already seen on screen. Terrain, as I understand it, also can't be changed and all we can do is choose from surfaces they've already made and used.

Plus... any view of San Fransisco and Paris would be lacking if you couldn't see the Golden Gate Bridge and Eifel Tower in the distant background. In fact.. I don't think there's any surface in STO right now that demonstrates a capacity to have complex "out-of-bounds" backdrop, such as city-scapes.

tell the truth, not sure either...BUT
    we will find out when it launches :)

interior buildings will not be much problem though
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    This all sounds really awesome...can't wait....I'll be first in line!
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »

This is what I was thinking too. I'm under the impression that ground and interior maps are all cookie-cutter until later when they can add the ability to produce our own maps.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, we will use what what they got...as best we can. As time permits, we can request various
    placeables...after they iron out the wrinkles and squish the bugs :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Well, we will use what what they got...as best we can. As time permits, we can request various
    placeables...after they iron out the wrinkles and squish the bugs :)

A lot can be done with some basics (and why I'm asking for some building materials like walls, beams, et cetera), you should see some of the maps that people have created in FarCry2. For example, the game (and everything in it, all props, terrain, plants) is designed to look like it's in civil-war-torn Africa, but people have made some amazing maps, including downtown NY from I Am Legend, Paris, Disneyland... Personally, I made one of my old hometown (New Smyrna Beach) boardwalk and a pretty good crashed starship. The beach is still inprogress (just did it because I was feeling homesick) but here are some shots of starship.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/KinjiruSpleen/AtlantiaDown/AtlantiaOverhead.png
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/KinjiruSpleen/AtlantiaDown/ControlRoomAccess.png
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/KinjiruSpleen/AtlantiaDown/Corridor1.png
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/KinjiruSpleen/AtlantiaDown/Entrance2.png
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/KinjiruSpleen/AtlantiaDown/EngineRoom.png
    http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t296/KinjiruSpleen/AtlantiaDown/Engines.png

Anyway, everything there was designed for an African civil was setting, not a crashed spaceship. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    hmm well, going though most answers.....and they did give us a bunch...it is kinda a
    good news, bad news kinda thing.....at launch...it will get better over time.

Bad news, gotta use pre-made interior and ground maps...might have a lot to choose from.
    That will limit what we can do at the start, but the good news will make it a small thing.

The good news, we can use most game maps to include real public areas..and copies of current
    game maps that we can modify (place stuff).
    Also there will be some star fleet exterior building available at launch.

So if you wanted to make you own star base....you will have to use a copy of a current SB,
    however you can place what you want in it. Not perfect but useable.

Also, if you wanted to make an adventure of Vulcan...you can put it on Vulcan...the public one.
    very cool.

meow