test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

About audio....

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I know there have been many requests and other threads regarding Audiofiles being used in UGC.

I would like to further this and ask, many pose an idea, about being able to record our own voices as characters in game.

I, among surely many others, have always dreamed of being my own Trek character. A captain, a Klingon, a Q.... The Borg King :p.

So my question/proposal/suggestion would be can we record our own voices for certain NPCs in game to really help put across the characters POV or scariness :p

Any thoughts?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited November 2010
    i would love that
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Good idea....that would be horribly abused

You enter a bar...what do you hear ?
    a sound file ripped from a TRIBBLE scene. not going to happen.

as long as this is a family game, cryptic will not let us take any form of media
    from our computers and let us publically display it.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Mhmmmm... pass.
    Mission quality would plummet. The vast majority of people who would try to add voice wouldn't do it well. Between poor audio quality and probably poor voice acting, it will be more detrimental to the mission than beneficial.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    Mhmmmm... pass.
    Mission quality would plummet. The vast majority of people who would try to add voice wouldn't do it well. Between poor audio quality and probably poor voice acting, it will be more detrimental to the mission than beneficial.

lol and that :p

Now if they let us take a screen shot, then crop it as needed and use that for a main
    viewer display

I could live with that
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Again, dstahl mentioned these aren't mod tools. Custom assets created by the player will most likely be off-limits.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    Mhmmmm... pass.

I don't think it's that 'exactly', but it's about raising the bar to a level that most people cannot compete.

Example: Conan MMO (can't remember the exact name).
    - first zone had was fully voice-acted by talented voice actors.
    - subsequent zones were mostly wall-of-text.

AFAIK there was no way to produce a full MMO to the level of the first zone, it was too expensive and time consuming - in terms of STO if you allow voice acting and one group does it well, every other adventure is going to feel rather lame unless they can match that - something few will be able to do...

The other obvious sticking points are:
    - your PC. Your PC has a finite amount of RAM/VRAM... you can't just add textures to the game.
    - bandwidth. Transfering a 100kb file to 10,000 people is a bunch of bandwidth, transferring 5mb is a bunch more - and bandwidth does not grow on trees.
    - the systems do not exist. Not sure the game has any infrastructure to stream textures/audio based on map change.
    - better to release foundry asap than wait a year.
    - legal. It's possible the rights-licensing deal will not let them do this, or they feel uncomfortable doing it.
    - worry over the shop. Letting people create a ship model may be rather counter-productive if cryptic could have sold their own model of that same ship.

But, long-term, if Foundry takes off I would be surprised if this were not added in some fashion.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Even though we will ..most likely.. not be able to import audio files,
    we might be allowed to use audio files currently in the game.

for enviromental effects and such