test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Foundry Ideas: (What would you like to see, and do in foundry?)

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
What would you like to see, and do in foundry?

Personally I would like to create missions that show off that we are at war with the Klingons, and make it feel like this is truly a fight for the freedom of the federation. I would like to write missions that give the feel that episodes like "nor battle to the strong" , "The ship", and the Siege of AR-558 gave when watching the war between the dominion, and the Klingon.

But what does anyone else want to do in foundry?

First user Thread in here yea.. sorry I'm narcissistic
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    As I asked Dan in the other thread, I'd like to be able to have missions take place on someone's ship. The problem becomes not everyone uses the same bridge, so enemy placement is difficult.

What I'm wondering, is would it be possible to create the tech to not only have it pull the bridge set from whoever is running the mission, but to have mobs spawn in dynamic locations.

What I mean by that is put a trigger in the mission script that says when a certain event happens, have this set of mobs pick a place to spawn on whatever set is pulled from the character ship.

The ship interiors beyond the bridge itself should be no problem, since they are all the same. Other than whatever wall trophies are put up that is. Later down the road if / when they add custom ship interiors it could break these missions however.

My evil brain is already concocting an ambush scenario type mission where you have to fight to save your own ship from the inside. Complete with plasma fires, sparking EPS conduits and what have you. If the editor lets me :D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm mainly wanting to try and recreate my favorite VOY and ENT (I know, I know. Booo! Hiss! :p ) episodes (or, at least, as closely as possible).

I've also been toying around with some new episodes, mainly to do with the Romulans and Hirogen, set in the 25th Century. The Romulans were my favorite part of the game's storyline (other than the Guardian of Forever and Planet Killer episodes, heh), and I want to create some stories to do with them.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I would like to make an encounter function that makes sense and be able to apply it to the missions.
    Example
    Instead of the 3 boring frigates, how about about (all still being named 'frigates') one of them having 50% power to shields with a lot of shield/structural abilities, one with science abilities, and the other with 50% offense. You won't know which one is which, but if you are going to survive 'well', you need to take out the offensive frigate first, then the science, then the defensive.

Another example is to have melee combat makes sense with more logical parameters.

I will want be able to save that function and carry those 'encounters' with me throughout my modules as well have people be able to 'borrow' them for their own.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd like to see dialog and conversation mechanics like those seen in the Bajor Diplomacy mission.

I'd like to have the ability for the player to select which Bridge Officer plays which role, for instance, I want my Betazoid Doctor Jeras to be the chief of medicine and not the chief Science Officer (another bridge officer should have that role).

I'd like to design my own ship interior.

I'd like to create movie missions for filming machinima
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Terran Empire Missions
    Undine Missions

blow up a planet.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd like to be able to cusomize my interior even further and have a ability to save it to invite freinds over, also would like the ability to make mini STFs and fleet actions.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    multi branching conversations

race/sex testing in conversations - different options depending on if the captain is a certain race or sex.

cut scene generator with camera control ect.

easy to place filler NPCs ....dude working on console here....click done

the ability to puppet players boarding party member...basically have them interject something in the
    conversation.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd lie to have "example" projects to draw from and learn from, as i find examples just as good as guides etc.

Personally I would like for author names to be blank until a mission has been accepted. As the person mentioned above something to manipulate cutsecenes as we wont be abole to use our own, to add atmosphre it woud be nice to have access to what is in game.

Control over what music trackis played?(not sure on that one)

The ability to make diplomatic missions at ANY location.

I would LOVE to be able to make NPC's interact as part of a mission. And have the ability to make npc's "follow" or "lead" .

I would li e to be able to use titles in the star trek font at the beginning of missions like you did in the season one episodes..it's just so "trek" when you did it! Iwant to do it too!
    Eventually: The ability to test unfinished missions with "friends" and "fleets" in order to bug test and to get early feedback AND to see how my missions would interact IF i intended them to be more fleet/teasm orientated.

Those are my knee jerk thoughts. I will come back in a couple of days with something a bit more thought out
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    What would you like to see, and do in foundry?

Personally I would like to create missions that show off that we are at war with the Klingons, and make it feel like this is truly a fight for the freedom of the federation. I would like to write missions that give the feel that episodes like "nor battle to the strong" , "The ship", and the Siege of AR-558 gave when watching the war between the dominion, and the Klingon.

But what does anyone else want to do in foundry?

First user Thread in here yea.. sorry I'm narcissistic

I'm not sure exactly what your asking, as people have been discussing how they want the system to work since its been announced. Just to be clear, are you asking this just to have a reason to post a thread in the new forum, or are you asking something else deeper that I'm missing?

*edit*

Ah, I didnt see your last sentence until I quote your post. I guess that answers my question!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They mentioned something about weather effects...it would be nice to also have earthquake type effects as well. Or something to let us see the ground beneath us is shaking.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Hravik wrote:
    They mentioned something about weather effects...it would be nice to also have earthquake type effects as well. Or something to let us see the ground beneath us is shaking.

and space maybe for that matter..the old "camera shake" :P
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    One of my biggest gripes with the current missions in STO is the ridiculous amount of enemy groups you fight. In the shows you didnt fight an entire squardron of ships except in rare circumstances, so I plan on making missions with only a few high powered enemies rather than tons of canon fodder.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Terran Empire Missions

A script effect that allows you to 'clone' the player of your mission would be nice. Meet your mirror counterpart...and kill them.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm not sure exactly what your asking, as people have been discussing how they want the system to work since its been announced. Just to be clear, are you asking this just to have a reason to post a thread in the new forum, or are you asking something else deeper that I'm missing?

*edit*

Ah, I didnt see your last sentence until I quote your post. I guess that answers my question!

A little bit of both.. I added in that dark part after my post was made, and already had replays. in truth this is a wish list of what you want UGC to do when it is fully up and running.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I want the ability to create branching missions with different outcomes based on player choices.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    When it comes to my general missions, I will try and write 2
    versions

The Federation one and the Klingon version...at the same time
    Same NPCs, maps.....different focus

It will allow me to produce 2 adventure for about the work it takes to make 1
    and it will help our Klingon brothers get some needed content.

Not that I would have a Klingon solve a problem like a Fed would ( or should )
    lol if I feel energetic, I might even include...the Ferengi solution :D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'm hoping that eventually they put in a map creation system similar to what NWN had. Right now we'll only have set templates to work from which will be pretty limiting.

I'd also like to see a scripting engine where we can control NPCs and world objects with script (similar to what NWN had, of course).
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    shonsu02 wrote: »
    I'm hoping that eventually they put in a map creation system similar to what NWN had. Right now we'll only have set templates to work from which will be pretty limiting.

I'd also like to see a scripting engine where we can control NPCs and world objects with script (similar to what NWN had, of course).

Scripting would make for a lot of fun.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    well, space will be the easiest....for us

empty space, plop planet here....few rocks here.....player starts here, gets msg here,
    has option to beam to planet here

done

open planet side is next easiest.....might be like NWN2 tools, hopefully with more help

interiors is the most difficult, stuff has to match up, or you end up with holes, missing
    textures...blocked pathways...erggg can be a pain
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    LotD wrote:
    I want the ability to create branching missions with different outcomes based on player choices.

YES!! agree this would be quite alarge one for me actually
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    here is a list of features I may need in the foundry:

1. Ability to make map objects such as plants, rocks, alien devices A. cause damage or affect characters in positive and negative ways, especially when in proximity B. be able to be influenced by players, npcs, and player generated objects (such as a ground shield generator strategically placed over a ground object can nullify its effects) . same for space objects. (examples: use a repulsor beam to move an asteroid, or use the polorize hull plating to trigger a wormhole type event)

2. I have a mission idea where a player is outdoors, but needs to enter a building that is open to the outdoors.. like a canopy or gazebo type building. it would be nice to allow the roof to fade out in order to see inside, or have the camera auto adjust to follow inside.

3. might need swimming, diving, climbing, swinging, and crawling abilities added.

4. might also need capabilities that adapt to trap doors suddenly surprising the character.

5. may need digging abilities

6. i may need to have objects affect each other, along with the ability to combine objects. that is A. pick up 2 objects and put them together B. attach an object to a ground object (or push an object near another)

(i may request other abilities as i think of them)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Well, hopefully in the first iteration, we can make missions catered to ranks. Like recreate a starter missions for the Federations...or a mission of similar difficulty for the Klingons.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Mulitple choice dialog options with branching trees, so that your dialog choices affect the outcome of a mission.

The ability to move players from one location to another without a transporter effect.

The ability to have players take command of a ship other than their own.

Access to ALL environment elements that are currently in game, including c-store assest (like bridges and uniforms).

The ability to have the players get captured by the enemy (players disarmed, beam out blocked, no request for reinforcements). Also the ability to activate this from a dialog box. (as in surrendering, if neccessary).

The ability to gather information from the surrounding environment without having to use one of your bridge officers as an interface. I have a mission I want to create where the character is on his/her own, and I may want the character to get information about an object without having to have a BO explain it in a dialog box.

The ability to change the character and Bo outfits to something appropriate to the mission. Like if the Captain has to go undercover for a Section 31 mission, it might be appropriate to NOT have him in a Starfleet uniform.

Shuttlecraft!!! Or at least a shuttle prop that can be placed on a planet.

The ability to have multiple enemy factions that are fighting against each other as well as the player.

The option to NOT include anomalies on a map.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Some of the things folks want and might not be available to do due to game engine limitations
    can be handled with a good cutscene generator

players need to surender ? have a cut scene triggered when the captain goes down..
    the scene shows the surender, placement in a holding cell, then shows how the captain
    figured out a way to break out....bam, back to regular play.

need to dig under a fence, cutscene it
    Captian we need to dig our way under this force fence. Well we best get to it.
    Fade
    <other side of fence> dusting selves off...well know I know why I never wanted to
    be a ditch digger.....back to the game

cutscenes are a VERY powerful tool.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    What I would like to see:
    1. Branching story arcs. Based off of certain character traits, successful mission completion, and PC responses to the NPC mission-giver.
    2. Time and location based event triggers.
    3. The ability to put non-combat NPCs, items and events into missions.
    4. The ability to add cinematic protection to certain enemies, e.g. "The City on the Edge of Never" when the boss stays around just long enough to get his dialog off and then leaves, and you can't harm him.
    5. The ability to have certain NPCs surrender or choose not to fight in response to certain PC actions.
    6. Failable missions.

What I would like to do:
    1. Create missions modeled after certain episodes, but from a different perspective, e.g. "The Trouble with Tribbles" from the Klingon point of view.
    2. Make missions that continue the story of some of the current in-game dev-created missions.
    3. Create missions that put the player into the position of having to actually think in order to beat the mission.
    4. Make missions that are entirely non-combat, but whose outcome still depends on the decisions the player makes.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Ideally I'd like to be able to script NPC behavior and its equipment and powers. But that might not be possibly anytime soon.

Branching storylines would be great, which includes failable missions.

I want variables that I can use for my dialogue and development of the story like race, sex, class and rank.
    - I want to have a scenario where I enter the mind of a Vulcan using mental link. Adapting the mission text so that if you're a Vulcan, it's you intiaiting it and elsewise it's by a trick from another Vulcan would be a small but neat tweak.
    - Another one is of course allowing a romantic interest in an episode - having the ability to switch the sex of the NPC based on the sex of the player character, or at least the text to fit the sex of the player character.)
    - An NPC adresses you either as superior, an equal or as an subordinate based on your rank.

I would like the ability to create one mission and provide translations for different languages in that mission (so it needs to be reviewed and published only once...)

Edit: I also want to create PvP maps/missions.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I'd like to be able to implement the anomaly scanning mini-game into scannable equipment. It's perfect for a scenario on a ship or station, where you sometimes need to "modify/recalibrate the phase alignment of the shield/emitter/transducer/whatever".
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I would LOVE complex dialog trees and hopefully we'll get them soon. Another thing I'd like is being able to use the ships interiors as a map location. Another cool thing I want to do is have the ability to spawn friendly NPCs in addition to enemy ones to create a larger sense of scale for some battles.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Some of the items I'm going to work on are "expanded locations" as missions. I've always felt the Sol system could use more Star Fleet faciliies.

I'm hoping to make The Ishtar Terra Orbital Combat Range on Venus (for the testing of weapon builds); The Hellas Planitia Proving Ground on Mars (for ground tactical training), The Academy Flight Range on Saturn (for introductory maneuvering) and the Jupiter Station Pilot Proving Grounds (for advanced piloting).