Install Arc
Options

MMORPG.com: EvE vs STO

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited October 2010
    LordOfPit wrote: »

Playing the open version of Privateer sure brings back memories, while it's sweet to REMEMBER it's not much to play anymore :mad: I would like to see a new versoin of it released, because it was one of the best space sims around, then again I liked ALL of the Wing Commander series (I know, Privateer was WC in name only, but used the same engine), and I would love to see them all brought into the 21st century.

I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for a decent space sim game, but yes, they are definitely hard to find. I would love to see something with the space abilities of SWG, but wiht a more open feel, and obviously something with fighters AND cap ships, but still has a decent ground elements (space stations, planets, whatever)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I spent a lot of time scouring the internet for a decent space sim game, but yes, they are definitely hard to find. I would love to see something with the space abilities of SWG, but wiht a more open feel, and obviously something with fighters AND cap ships, but still has a decent ground elements (space stations, planets, whatever)

agreed, JTL was amazing.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ...I would love to see something with the space abilities of SWG, but wiht a more open feel, and obviously something with fighters AND cap ships, but still has a decent ground elements (space stations, planets, whatever)
    You mean something like this? ;)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    No MMO is better than Oregon Trail for the Apple ][.

Decades later and killing 900 pounds of buffalo meat but only carrying twenty back to the wagon is more compelling than click on an asteroid and mining till your cargo bay is full. :)

Also, Oregon Trail had perma-death. EVE kids are spoiled with their resurection - I mean cloning vat.

Seven Cities of Gold for the Commodore 64 is by far a better game than STO. And it was made in 1984. On a COMMODORE 64!!!

(Oh, and I totally love Oregon Trail. That game rocks!)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Seven Cities of Gold for the Commodore 64 is by far a better game than STO. And it was made in 1984. On a COMMODORE 64!!!

(Oh, and I totally love Oregon Trail. That game rocks!)

The Voyage of the Mimi educational game had a film series that accompanied the game - where you navigated a ship using applied science and mathematics. The films that accompanied the game for class had Ben Affleck (but back in 1984).

I remember solving radio triangulation puzzles in the fifth grade. :)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    I remember solving radio triangulation puzzles in the fifth grade. :)

The modern educational system is no longer concerned with educating.
    Please pardon my tangent and return to your regular thread topic.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Roach wrote: »
    The modern educational system is no longer concerned with educating.
    Please pardon my tangent and return to your regular thread topic.
    Oh yes, I forgot.

Booo! biased review!
    yeah! retro games for the Amiga and Apple!
    Boo! EVE gameplay and user0interface
    Yeah! EVE economy and open world feel!
    Boo! STO instancing and crafting
    Yeah! STO pretties and space combat
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Playing the open version of Privateer sure brings back memories, while it's sweet to REMEMBER it's not much to play anymore :mad: I would like to see a new versoin of it released, because it was one of the best space sims around, then again I liked ALL of the Wing Commander series (I know, Privateer was WC in name only, but used the same engine), and I would love to see them all brought into the 21st century.

It was more than Wing Commander in name. It had the Confederation and Kilrathi, both. Its sector maps are also part of the greater Wing Commander galaxy.

It was Privateer 2 that stepped away from that galaxy in a lot of ways... and also ditched "Wing Commander" in the name. I think there's suppose to be some loose link but it's not one I'd ever acknowledge.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

:( *weeping* :(
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Rikaelus wrote: »
    It was more than Wing Commander in name. It had the Confederation and Kilrathi, both. Its sector maps are also part of the greater Wing Commander galaxy.

It was Privateer 2 that stepped away from that galaxy in a lot of ways... and also ditched "Wing Commander" in the name. I think there's suppose to be some loose link but it's not one I'd ever acknowledge.

Privateer 2 had Clive Owen. However, it had the worst subtitle imaginable. Privateer 2: The Darkening! It's almost as bad as Good Will Hunting 2: Hunting Season.

===

back on topic:
    I wonder if EVE would ever get stacked against Pre-NGE SWG and STO?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Will somebody please turn Freelancer into an MMO?

The Discover Mod is close, but not quite.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

LOL- loved WC. I still have a promotional longsleeve shirt with the wing logo's on them.:)
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    People forget that Wing Commander 4 is potentially a Star Trek, Star Wars, LOTR, and Wing Commander crossover.

Luke Skywalker? Check.
    Gimli? Check.
    Malcolm McDowell (was in Star trek: generations)? Check.

Let's see how EVE stacks up to this scene from Wing Commander 4.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here is the thing that bugs me.

STO had every advantage to learn from all kinds of games before it. EVE, WoW, AoC, WAR, Everquest, Everquest II, Star Wars Galaxies, LOTRO, Aion, Tabula Rasa, Earth and Beyond, etc.

All these aforementioned games made cool features as well as glaring mistakes. Some made more mistakes than others. All these games before STO gave Cryptic the benefit of their experience.

On top of that, 2 years of community input from the Perpetual forums, Hailing Frequency forums and such, along with 18 months of their own forums with tons of community input, as well as some topics which people were very adamant about NOT TO TRIBBLE UP.

And yet, with all that focus group info, and with all the benefits of previous game experiences, they STILL managed to make complete noob mistakes that few other game compaines with all this in front of them, wouldn't have made!

How the heck does that happen? Was the "rush job bonus" from Atari really so much money they could pass up the chance to make a truly great game that could make them boatloads of money?

Someone explain to me how you ignore all the mistakes others have made, ignore your fans and all the community input, and not expect bad reviews, bad feedback, and generally upset customers?
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Here is the thing that bugs me.

STO had every advantage to learn from all kinds of games before it. EVE, WoW, AoC, WAR, Everquest, Everquest II, Star Wars Galaxies, LOTRO, Aion, Tabula Rasa, Earth and Beyond, etc.

All these aforementioned games made cool features as well as glaring mistakes. Some made more mistakes than others. All these games before STO gave Cryptic the benefit of their experience.

On top of that, 2 years of community input from the Perpetual forums, Hailing Frequency forums and such, along with 18 months of their own forums with tons of community input, as well as some topics which people were very adamant about NOT TO TRIBBLE UP.

And yet, with all that focus group info, and with all the benefits of previous game experiences, they STILL managed to make complete noob mistakes that few other game compaines with all this in front of them, wouldn't have made!

How the heck does that happen? Was the "rush job bonus" from Atari really so much money they could pass up the chance to make a truly great game that could make them boatloads of money?

Someone explain to me how you ignore all the mistakes others have made, ignore your fans and all the community input, and not expect bad reviews, bad feedback, and generally upset customers?
    True but still a should/would/could scenario.

Let's ask ourselves how to take criticisms from the review and get STO from here to there?

Also, no quoting the Enterprise theme or I'll use the report feature. :p
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Geoduck360 wrote:
    Will somebody please turn Freelancer into an MMO?

The Discover Mod is close, but not quite.

Jumpgate Evolution

Got my eye on that.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    True but still a should/would/could scenario.

Let's ask ourselves how to take criticisms from the review and get STO from here to there?

Also, no quoting the Enterprise theme or I'll use the report feature. :p

But...but...it's been a long road; gettin' from there to here.

:D
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Geoduck360 wrote:

It's been a long time. But my time is finally near
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Geoduck360 wrote:

Zodi-emish wrote:
    It's been a long time. But my time is finally near

No post for you!

====

What criticisms from the review did you think were fair? Which can be most easily addressed by the devs?
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Oh my god no... I got Ultimate Combat, which was the latest version of that back about 6 or so years ago... Wow did it fail to live up to the billing... Was supposed to be a simulator for space, ground and sea. Didn't do any of them really well IMO.

Space was fairly easy to beat, sea and ground simply stunk to high heaven...

But you dare to say anything even remotely negative about the game on the official forms and you got massively flamed by the "Supreme Commander" Derek Smart...

I once questioned the instruction manual about how hard it was to follow and the lack of anything remotely like a tutorial... He told me that if I wasn't smart enough to figure it out on my own then I shouldn't be playing His game... Also the instruction manual he wrote was award winning... What award you get for manuals I don't know, but apparently he won it.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Zodi-emish wrote:
    Lame comparing a 6 year old game to a 8 month old game... all that is, is more MMORPG.com drama and trash...

yep thats all MMORPG.com is is nothing BUT drama and trash.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

The Wing Commander series was AMAZING and loved every one (But IMO WC4 was the best of the series). Back in 1990 I remember installing WC1 (15 or so high desity floppies); and the installed game was 7 MB in size (which was HUGE in the day when your average Hard Drive was 20 MB and DOS had a 32 MB partition limit. I even brought brand spanking new top of the line VGA card so I could get the full graphic experience on my 14" CRT. I also added to 3 MB voice pack, which added fighter pilot dialog to the game and to this day remember Spirt's (a female Asian pilot NPC dialog of: "I destryed an enemy fighter!" ;))

WC3 and WC4 where they mixed filmed live action (with GOOD actors like Malcom McDowell) was when the series his it's stride. I wasn't all that impressed with WC5; but WC2, 3 and 4 are definitely classics in the space fighter sim genere.
  • Options
    edited October 2010

Not sure what there is to weep about, if i wanted EVE I would still be playing it. I'm glad I'm not playing it and having to set my watch to go off everytime I need to change over a skill. I swear if i hear another "Skill training complete!" I'm gonna kick a puppy..
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Solarfox wrote: »
    But you dare to say anything even remotely negative about the game on the official forms and you got massively flamed by the "Supreme Commander" Derek Smart...

I once questioned the instruction manual about how hard it was to follow and the lack of anything remotely like a tutorial... He told me that if I wasn't smart enough to figure it out on my own then I shouldn't be playing His game... Also the instruction manual he wrote was award winning... What award you get for manuals I don't know, but apparently he won it.
    I guess Cryptic could learn from a real professional how to craft their games and treat their communities... OH WAIT! :rolleyes:

Seriously though, to my knowledge — which is probably not extensive — STO is the only game to meld space and ground gameplay together with a multiplayer framework. When you add to that a STAR TREK narrative — as loose as it currently is — it is more satisfying to me than sand-box spreadsheets or raiding treadmills in space could ever be.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Paneth wrote:
    Not sure what there is to weep about, if i wanted EVE I would still be playing it. I'm glad I'm not playing it and having to set my watch to go off everytime I need to change over a skill. I swear if i hear another "Skill training complete!" I'm gonna kick a puppy..

I like to log on every few months, set up a training queue, troll militia chat with "So, can we walk around the stations yet?" then hit Alt+Q.

Also, MMORPG.com is the worst example of a gaming site ever. It's full of MMO players who hate MMOs.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    ariosto wrote: »
    I like to log on every few months, set up a training queue, troll militia chat with "So, can we walk around the stations yet?" then hit Alt+Q.
    I truly hope you don't have to maintain a subscription for such dubious "pleasure". Heck you could just go on IRC and troll them there for free! ;)

• Options
    edited October 2010
    I truly hope you don't have to maintain a subscription for such dubious "pleasure". Heck you could just go on IRC and troll them there for free! ;)

I could probably survive just on buying PLEX with isk these days, but every now and again I pay for a month just for the hell of it. I've had my character since '06, and that's a hard, hard addiction to give up. It's almost worth the entrance fee just to enrage some 6 million skill point newb by getting them Concordokkened unexpectedly, then podding them on a spy alt.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    The escapist review is harsh but sadly spot on when it comes to EVE, I played EVE for 3 years and it was an easy choice to give up on.
    It is a long game of waiting, and it is basically a second job you have to pay for. The space combat is so uninvolved and lacking its maddening. Yes there is a lot to the skills but it takes forever to get any and its a TRIBBLE shoot as to which ones are good. Theres a solid balance to the combat but like i said, completely uninvolved. You dont maneuver for position or advantage, you dont really get much choice to get away if things are going badly. I loved EVE but ultimately it alienated me, with its almost completely hostile PVP environment and the sad and lacking PVE element. What could STO learn from EVE? They could make space bigger and truly vast. They could use the different weapon ranges and how they are balanced in EVE. Other than that, they shouldnt take anything else from EVE as its a totally different format with an entirely different set of expectations. They are so far apart a comparison is pointless. And lets face it MMORPG.com is a bad source for reviews, biased and venomous to anything we dont play should be the homepage disclaimer. Sure the reviewer stated it was all opinion, but he then slammed STO by pointing out only the strong points of EVE and the weaknesses of STO. The reviewer then stated that the next hot installment was cats v. books. The humor( or lack thereof) should be obvious.
    Anyways STO is far more involved and actual fun than EVE.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    Jumpgate Evolution

Got my eye on that.

The problem with that is... kinda like STO, Jumgate:Evolution has been "in development" for YEARS.... I am worried that it might never come out. Still it "looks" good from what little I have seen about it. You have to look at it from it's point of view, because it is leagues ahead of the original (now called Jumpgate Classic).

Interestingly enough, it appear that they have launched a new website, which hopefully means they are moving forward. Prior to that, information was rather stale to say the least. (Again, a page from STO's history book)
  • Options
    edited October 2010

I've never seen those (odd for me, I pride myself in most things space related), I'll have to investigate them further, thank you for bringing that to my attention