test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Retrofit Cruiser

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited September 2010 in Federation Discussion
So, question for the dev's out there or anyone else who can shed light on it. Why, when you separate, do you control the hull portion of the ship? As the captain, you should be on the bridge, which is in the saucer section. Just curious, and I think it would be pretty cool to fly around in the saucer section (perhaps get the option to switch?). Perhaps when equipping the ship, 2 fore and 2 aft weapon slots are labeled as Saucer Section weapons, so that when you separate you only get access to those?

Second question: When you separate, your crew goes to 100, which is fine, since a lot of the crew would be in the saucer, I imagine. Why, then, when you couple together, do you not get most of those back? Did they forget to build in a door so when it separates everyone gets sucked out of the saucer section? That seems like a pretty serious design flaw. Just sayin, seems like starfleet dropped the ball on that feature.

Totally unrelated question: Since the saucer separation system does work, can we expect to see multi-vector assault modes for Prometheus classes and such?
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited August 2010
    Saucer Seperation is like a massive escape pod, in reality it shouldn't be going into combat with you because it has all non-essential crew and civilians. The drvie section is like a war room where the captain goes to when they know they probably wont be coming back.

(in the show) Say you're being overwhelmed by an enemy, You separate the saucer section from the drive to buy yourself sometime while the crew escapes.

The crew gets reduced to 100 because of this and I imagine it stays like that because all the crew in the saucer section have to go back to their stations

As to the weapons question: it's probably a limitation in tech to seperate weapon slots.

I hope that makes sense
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    The canon name is Battle Bridge and is in the drive section as previously stated..
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yes. As stated above, the standard procedure for Saucer Separation, in cannon, is that the ship non-military personell... Families, Dignitaries, Guests, Children, Tribbles, (little joke) etc... are all loaded up an the saucer and use it as an escape vessel. I mean, it has no star drive, no photon torpedo launchers, only belly and dorsal phaser arrays. Just is basically a giant canoe without the power of the Drive sections warp engines to power it. ;)

However, for the sake of the game, I like the Saucer separation a lot.... I have been going back and fourth on it, though. My normal ride is an Assault Cruiser. I'm fully stat'd and loaded for damage dishing, and tanking, particularly loaded for more Kinetic resistance. Anyway... I have a hard time letting go that extra killin power of my assault cruiser, especially when I have such a hard time figuring out what to do with that extra engineer spot, which can only have so many abilities at that level, most relating to ship's power. :D

I'd like to hear people's opinions about which ship is better, and why? Of if you believe it's circumstancial, then what circumstances are better to use the Retrofit Model or the Assualt Model?:confused:
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Mekasheeba wrote: »
    Saucer Seperation is like a massive escape pod, in reality it shouldn't be going into combat with you because it has all non-essential crew and civilians. The drvie section is like a war room where the captain goes to when they know they probably wont be coming back.

(in the show) Say you're being overwhelmed by an enemy, You separate the saucer section from the drive to buy yourself sometime while the crew escapes.

The crew gets reduced to 100 because of this and I imagine it stays like that because all the crew in the saucer section have to go back to their stations

As to the weapons question: it's probably a limitation in tech to seperate weapon slots.

I hope that makes sense

The saucer did go into combat ONCE in TNG. In "Best of Both Worlds Pt2" it shot anti-matter bursts at the Borg cube as a distraction. I wish the saucer in-game could do that. (Essentially drawing fire away from you.)