test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

If you were the Captain of Voyager Pt. 1

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited July 2010 in Ten Forward
youve just been yanked out of the Alpha Quad, the caretaker has just finished exploding. You ship is by necessity made up of the people youve been chasing all over Federation Space and you have a 70 year journey home. What would you do?

Myself.
My first order to the crew would be....."Build me a cloaking device. an old model one that can be modified for power effeciency and long term use. were not leaving any foot prints in this snow people"

id set out for the alpha quad much the same as janeway had done. Without all the sight seeing.
i dont think i would have blazed an idealistic trail across the quadrant leaving the federation philosophy behind me. Most aliens wouldnt have know i was there. I would trade only when i had to, with frequent reference to the ferengi bible ' the rules of aquisition'.
And i would have sadly left non aliagned worlds to their fates, as the prime directive dictates.
If that meant watching a civilization blowing itself up, or dying slowly from some terrible affliction.
i would and id raid the corpses for energy after the smoke cleared.

i would adhere to the Prime Directive to the Nth degree. were not interfering, were just passing through.

What would you have done???
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    used the caretaker array to get home and planted some bombs to go off
  • Options
    edited July 2010

youve just been yanked out of the Alpha Quad, the caretaker has just finished exploding. You ship is by necessity made up of the people youve been chasing all over Federation Space and you have a 70 year journey home. What would you do?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    He's still not wrong
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Funny story, hang with me on this I promise it's relevant, night before last (I have two whitnesses and a couple screenshots) I accidentally busted through the map in Aokii on patrol with Frans 83 and Meh. as other may know them on here, and I have screenshots too mind you... ended up in a completely different system.

busting through part 1
    Busting through 2
    Where I came out.

On my screen my teammates were listed as 3,600 and in one case 24,000 KM away, they saw me as 100 or 300 away and when they came to where it said I was nothing was there, what's worse is it was obviously another system on my screen. Circumstances later led me back to Sol, story for another time.

Point is for the brief twenty minutes I was stuck in this almost totally empty system I started talking to the two guys on Skype about what the heck I was gunna do and the topic leads to Voyager.

I first off said I woulda said "Yeah forget this, sorry everyone we're using the array to go home right here and now and beaming tricobolts aboard rigged to go after we leave". Then came the real plan, thinking my in game situation was a cruel joke from Cryptic to pick like one ship and crew to get stuck in the Delta Quadrant if certain criteria were met, like spend so much on the ship and maiden voyager etc, considering Aokii is kinda close to the Badlands it had me going.

So I basically hatched the plan of just plotting a course home while trying to perfect transwarp tech, in my situation it already was but if it was "back in the day" it'd be priority one. I'd also willingly throw the Prime Directive out the window and trade federation tech with aliens, half a galaxy away I could care less what they do or if they blow themselves up... besides I don't see a wide range of races being able to adapt federation tech to their own. And really, where is the harm in sharing Replicators, really you're just helping in that case.

I'd make many more deals than Janeway was willing to and trade whatever (or whoever) I needed to, after all the needs of the many (my crew) outweigh the needs of the few (some random character). I'd also never drop from warp aside from enemy contact, to refuel, or to change course. Considering there was that whole Dominion War thing going on my duty would be to get home. I'd also try and make as many deals possible to acquire new weapons for my ship, really if I was stuck in an intrepid I'd want to be the most bad-A intrepid possible.

I'd also totally have left the Borg to be the play thing of 8472, they may not have hated humanity so bad if not for that little display of OMG Janeway put on by helping them. That cracked me up. She gives the Borg a WMD but wouldn't share potentially life-saving Replicator Tech to anyone.

So in short and in summary, I cheat my way back like a Russian Captain, complete with all due brutality. Also, Seven of Nine if she still managed to come aboard would have been crammed inside a Photon Casing and fired into the nearest Borg vessel with a note reading:
    "Dear Collective, take it back we don't want it.

Love, Hugs and Kisses
    - Voyager Crew and Jim"

/end rant.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would blow up the array and the Kazon ships near it, I mean if I can spare tri cobalt devices (And WTFH does a starfleet vessel do with supsapce weapons anyway? They are banned in the federation) to blow up the array I can spare some for those Kazon.

Than I would start modifing my warheads to higher yeilds as that is possible and big guns are good guns.

Get a cloak one way or the other.

Say F off to everything save for: "There is coffee in that nebula"

So only stop for supplies and than move on

I wouldn't make neelix the chef btw I am a much better cook :)

Anyway I am on a 3 year journy with my own sim atm on a exploration mission without any support from starfleet so in a simelair scenrio atm, though a little more relaxed and better equiped :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Agreed. So simple. But plot-wise, not so good.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Liandras wrote:
    I would blow up the array and the Kazon ships near it, I mean if I can spare tri cobalt devices (And WTFH does a starfleet vessel do with supsapce weapons anyway? They are banned in the federation) to blow up the array I can spare some for those Kazon.

Than I would start modifing my warheads to higher yeilds as that is possible and big guns are good guns.

Get a cloak one way or the other.

Say F off to everything save for: "There is coffee in that nebula"

So only stop for supplies and than move on

I wouldn't make neelix the chef btw I am a much better cook :)

Anyway I am on a 3 year journy with my own sim atm on a exploration mission without any support from starfleet so in a simelair scenrio atm, though a little more relaxed and better equiped :)

Tri cobalts are predictable enough to be used safely, so aren't banned.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    !) I would make I ahve an ample supply of coffee for a 70 yerar voyage, just in case.
    2) I would let the Borg assimilate Neelix in exchange for a trip back home. I figure his uniqueness would drop their Collective IQ a few million points.
    3) Sell any remaining coffee as "Delta Quadrant Blend"
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Funny story, hang with me on this I promise it's relevant, night before last (I have two whitnesses and a couple screenshots) I accidentally busted through the map in Aokii on patrol with Frans 83 and Meh. as other may know them on here, and I have screenshots too mind you... ended up in a completely different system.

busting through part 1
    Busting through 2
    Where I came out.

On my screen my teammates were listed as 3,600 and in one case 24,000 KM away, they saw me as 100 or 300 away and when they came to where it said I was nothing was there, what's worse is it was obviously another system on my screen. Circumstances later led me back to Sol, story for another time.

Point is for the brief twenty minutes I was stuck in this almost totally empty system I started talking to the two guys on Skype about what the heck I was gunna do and the topic leads to Voyager.

I first off said I woulda said "Yeah forget this, sorry everyone we're using the array to go home right here and now and beaming tricobolts aboard rigged to go after we leave". Then came the real plan, thinking my in game situation was a cruel joke from Cryptic to pick like one ship and crew to get stuck in the Delta Quadrant if certain criteria were met, like spend so much on the ship and maiden voyager etc, considering Aokii is kinda close to the Badlands it had me going.

So I basically hatched the plan of just plotting a course home while trying to perfect transwarp tech, in my situation it already was but if it was "back in the day" it'd be priority one. I'd also willingly throw the Prime Directive out the window and trade federation tech with aliens, half a galaxy away I could care less what they do or if they blow themselves up... besides I don't see a wide range of races being able to adapt federation tech to their own. And really, where is the harm in sharing Replicators, really you're just helping in that case.

I'd make many more deals than Janeway was willing to and trade whatever (or whoever) I needed to, after all the needs of the many (my crew) outweigh the needs of the few (some random character). I'd also never drop from warp aside from enemy contact, to refuel, or to change course. Considering there was that whole Dominion War thing going on my duty would be to get home. I'd also try and make as many deals possible to acquire new weapons for my ship, really if I was stuck in an intrepid I'd want to be the most bad-A intrepid possible.

I'd also totally have left the Borg to be the play thing of 8472, they may not have hated humanity so bad if not for that little display of OMG Janeway put on by helping them. That cracked me up. She gives the Borg a WMD but wouldn't share potentially life-saving Replicator Tech to anyone.

So in short and in summary, I cheat my way back like a Russian Captain, complete with all due brutality. Also, Seven of Nine if she still managed to come aboard would have been crammed inside a Photon Casing and fired into the nearest Borg vessel with a note reading:
    "Dear Collective, take it back we don't want it.

Love, Hugs and Kisses
    - Voyager Crew and Jim"

/end rant.

Epic night. Epic, epic night.

I would press every species I ran across into forced labor and start my own Evil, Delta Quadrant Empire. I am Vigo after all.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stuffed seska in the aft torpedo tube and fired her into the nearest star.
    What with my advanced knowledge of the series events. Having seen them and all.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    lol i dont think i would have shot 7 of 9 back at the borg myself. i believe i would have kept her, neelix..............thats a tough one. while his information was valuable and his garbage heap came in handy once, he would not have been allowed to keep cooking unless he kept it simple. cooking something till it shows mildew is just plain wrong for any kinda stew. a cheese product sure but not stew.
    i agree completely with the let 8472 just smack the borg, and would have gone a step further showing them where to find more borg in my way.
    and thats a really good point about janeway, giving the borg the equivalent of a wmd after years of saying nooooo we cant share replicator tech.
    anyway i love this.

keep it going folks
    thank you
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    She never gives the borg the nanoprob warheads, only Voyager was ever able to produce them. the only borg that knew anthing about them was disconnected from the collective.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    janeway was awesome but the writers made her seem like a raving loony sometimes.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    janeway was awesome but the writers made her seem like a raving loony sometimes.

but there's coffee in that nebula!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mizarone wrote: »
    but there's coffee in that nebula!

ladies and gentleman of the forums .....................I rest my case.

tips his hat to "the" mizarone

well played sir. well played
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    if i was captain of voyager id set the ship to self destruct or warp around a star untill i go back to a time when star trek had good writing
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, as a fan of the ol' slingshot effect....

A.) Find the nearest star after destroying the Caretaker and go back far enough in time so the array could be used to get back to the Alpha Quadrant.

B.) Endure several years in the Delta Quadrant, go through the ordeal with Captain Braxton and the Relativity. Use the slingshot effect while still in the Sol Sysem to return to Earth of the 24th Century.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Well, as a fan of the ol' slingshot effect....

A.) Find the nearest star after destroying the Caretaker and go back far enough in time so the array could be used to get back to the Alpha Quadrant.

B.) Endure several years in the Delta Quadrant, go through the ordeal with Captain Braxton and the Relativity. Use the slingshot effect while still in the Sol Sysem to return to Earth of the 24th Century.

lol the time travel must stoooop. too much too much man you did too much .
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    First I think using the array to return to the Alpha Quadrant while leaving time delayed explosives would have been my first choice. However, assuming that Voyager did not possess sophisticated technology such as timers I think I would have tried something really different.

I think I would attempt to do a series of time warps sling-shooting from star to star setting a course to maintain zero time passage outside the ship. I would then use the transporters to reverse the effects of the 70 years of time passed aboard ship.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WarpVis wrote: »
    First I think using the array to return to the Alpha Quadrant while leaving time delayed explosives would have been my first choice. However, assuming that Voyager did not possess sophisticated technology such as timers I think I would have tried something really different.

I think I would attempt to do a series of time warps sling-shooting from star to star setting a course to maintain zero time passage outside the ship. I would then use the transporters to reverse the effects of the 70 years of time passed aboard ship.

looks around at everyone " Ok................who put crack in the time machines? no one is leaving time travel alone. They keep running to it and using it. Its a temporal crack pipe people. Lets stay clean and just say ........once in a while is okay. but this is clearly abuse"
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    looks around at everyone " Ok................who put crack in the time machines? no one is leaving time travel alone. They keep running to it and using it. Its a temporal crack pipe people. Lets stay clean and just say ........once in a while is okay. but this is clearly abuse"

*uses time travel to change the comment into something more supportive of time travel*
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    *uses time travel to change the comment into something more supportive of time travel*

laughs and deploys a gravity well to slow your ship and keep you from reaching terminal temporal speed
    " HA Haaaaaaaaa, " and dances back flailing in his pudgey arms in mock-fu fury.
    The open palm, rigid hand is poised for a neck chop.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    laughs and deploys a gravity well to slow your ship and keep you from reaching terminal temporal speed
    " HA Haaaaaaaaa, " and dances back flailing in his pudgey arms in mock-fu fury.
    The open palm, rigid hand is poised for a neck chop.

Now did I say anything about using the slingshot? there are other methods.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Now did I say anything about using the slingshot? there are other methods.

whips out his tricorder and confers with mr. Spock. ..................................................................

then points out the large picture window in 10 forward " theressssss..........somethingonthehull!!! SOMe......Thing??" then gestuclates wildly as he gasps for breath between words.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    whips out his tricorder and confers with mr. Spock. ..................................................................

then points out the large picture window in 10 forward " theressssss..........somethingonthehull!!! SOMe......Thing??" then gestuclates wildly as he gasps for breath between words.

Spock: It appears to be Khan Noonien Singh spray-painting "Kahn was here." on the hull
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Spock: It appears to be Khan Noonien Singh spray-painting "Kahn was here." on the hull

wanders over to the galley ( TOS didnt have 10 forward) and calmly walks to the fridge and..................
    opens an ice cold can of whoopass " KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAANN!!!!!!!!"
  • Options
    edited July 2010

Technically I did not use time travel. I used a time warp, but set a course to maintain the same moment in time as I traveled.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    WarpVis wrote: »

Technically I did not use time travel. I used a time warp, but set a course to maintain the same moment in time as I traveled.

uhmmmmm okay............................
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I would have stuck the Marquis in the brig until my psych officer had had a chance to do thorough evaluations on all of them. Those who were fit for duty would have been sent through full Starfleet Academy trainiing via the Holodeck before touching a damn thing on my ship. If a hologram can act as a doctor, the computer can run whatever aspects of controlling the ship are needed until those terrorists had been reformed, re-educated and properly trained.

I would have immediately set a course for the Great Barrier. If the Enterprise could travel to the center of the galaxy as quickly as they did in ST V, it makes much more sense to travel there, then set course for the Alpha Quadrant after I reach it.

Meanwhile, I'd have kept my nose clean, stuck by the Prime Directive and stayed out of the way of the locals. I'd have stayed at warp as long as possible, only stopping to gather raw materials for my replicators from uninhabited planetoids, etc...

In case it's not obvious, I'm not a fan of Voyager.... ,-)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Stillwater wrote: »
    I would have stuck the Marquis in the brig until my psych officer had had a chance to do thorough evaluations on all of them. Those who were fit for duty would have been sent through full Starfleet Academy trainiing via the Holodeck before touching a damn thing on my ship. If a hologram can act as a doctor, the computer can run whatever aspects of controlling the ship are needed until those terrorists had been reformed, re-educated and properly trained.

I would have immediately set a course for the Great Barrier. If the Enterprise could travel to the center of the galaxy as quickly as they did in ST V, it makes much more sense to travel there, then set course for the Alpha Quadrant after I reach it.

Meanwhile, I'd have kept my nose clean, stuck by the Prime Directive and stayed out of the way of the locals. I'd have stayed at warp as long as possible, only stopping to gather raw materials for my replicators from uninhabited planetoids, etc...

In case it's not obvious, I'm not a fan of Voyager.... ,-)

lol no not obviously till the end. i love the show and i think janeway dawdled way too much.
    and im not sure the great barrier was at the center of the galaxy, i know they mark the coords for it as 0001
    but any map is relative. the great barrier could have easily been the border to the galacitc arm we reside on though given it was to keep that goof ball gawd contained i think it was just around the one system. which really makes no sense unless the great barrier was actually some kind of maze with that planet at the center.
    damn now that i think on it the great barrier makes no sense what so ever.