test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Picard Manuver

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
Can we get the Picard Manuver as a space ability?

Picard ordered the Stargazer to make a short warp jump toward the attacking ship, outrunning the light of its own image coming from its previous location. The Ferengi were momentarily distracted by what appeared to be a second ship coming out of warp, providing the Stargazer with enough time to destroy them.[1] The crippled Stargazer's crew abandoned ship in lifeboats and shuttlecraft and were recovered ten weeks later. Picard was court-martialed but cleared blame for loss of his ship.

The "Picard Maneuver" became required reading for Starfleet Academy students.

And this would make a great emote...

Off-camera, the name has also become applied to a motion used by the actors during photography, wherein they would tug down the upper part of their spandex costumes to straighten out wrinkles. As Patrick Stewart originated the habit, cast and crew began calling it the "Picard Maneuver".
Post edited by baddmoonrizin on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Would fit very well as a sort of Charge ability, rapidly close on your target, get short duration damage/defense buffs. Perhaps some other extras too.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Picard Maneuver only worked because the Ferengi's ship only had light speed sensors (how they moved at warp I'll never know).

The ships we fight use similar subspace arrays to the Fed's, so I'd greatly doubt this maneuver is more than a historical footnote by this age.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Summers wrote: »
    (how they moved at warp I'll never know).
    Good reflexes? :D
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Picard Maneuver only worked because the Ferengi's ship only had light speed sensors (how they moved at warp I'll never know).

The ships we fight use similar subspace arrays to the Fed's, so I'd greatly doubt this maneuver is more than a historical footnote by this age.

IT would be for the time STO is set in, as Data calculated the only known defense to the maneuver when Picard attempted to use the same tactic against the Enterprise-D (whilst under the Ferengi thought maker).

http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/File:USS_Enterprise-D_tractors_USS_Stargazer.jpg

Incidentally it was noticed in a patch log file way back in beta that a power tray icon for the engineer BO's was named the Picard Maneuver. The log file still exists in the Cryptic folder and is called patchxfer.log - the following is taken from there.

091201 19:46:04 40844 MasterControlProgram[1]: xferStart: get=data/texture_library/ui/Icons/powers/Space_Boff_Engineering_Picardmaeuver.timestamp write=texture_library/ui/Icons/powers/Space_Boff_Engineering_Picardmaeuver.timestamp
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    (how they moved at warp I'll never know).

It's all in the lobes!!!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dstahl hinted that there are some new powers coming due to advancing in the Diplomacy area. Not sure what this will be, but one hint was new Transwarp Locations. I wonder if the Picard maneuver might also be part of that?

But that's just baseless speculation for now. I figure if it was true, it would create another uproar among Klingon-focused players.

What I know is that it definitely is not in the skill set up to Vice Admiral 1.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    dstahl hinted that there are some new powers coming due to advancing in the Diplomacy area. Not sure what this will be, but one hint was new Transwarp Locations. I wonder if the Picard maneuver might also be part of that?

But that's just baseless speculation for now. I figure if it was true, it would create another uproar among Klingon-focused players.

What I know is that it definitely is not in the skill set up to Vice Admiral 1.

I find it rather doubtful that a Combat Maneuver would be the reward for Non-Combat content.

The only power we know of for certain (that I am aware of) is Diplomatic Immunity, which gives an ally immunity to constantly being pulled into DSEs.... and good god I wish it were self targeted.

WE'RE the Diplomats, why is our power to grant OTHERS immunity?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    mayamyth wrote: »
    I find it rather doubtful that a Combat Maneuver would be the reward for Non-Combat content.

The only power we know of for certain (that I am aware of) is Diplomatic Immunity, which gives an ally immunity to constantly being pulled into DSEs.... and good god I wish it were self targeted.

WE'RE the Diplomats, why is our power to grant OTHERS immunity?

I personally lay blame on the Romulan lawyers. They are tricky ones lol.

As far as new power go in Season 2, some people have found "slip stream". One down, many more abilities to be found.

I guess it could be a class only ability. Picard himself being SCI, it could be for that class. The act itself, we seem to be more tactical. It could all depend on what the Stargazer falls under. My guess would be a Long Range Science Vessel due to its long exportation mission that it was on when the menuver was used. By STO standards, the Stargazer would be a T3 Cruiser due to it having 4 engines, its size, and power of its weapons.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I think both the space and tug emotes would be neat in game.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Tug emote is already in the game it's: /em tug
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Personally, I think the Piccard Maneuver would make an awesome tactical power, and something that frankly would come in very handy - zoom into the fight with full weapon power, and boom, one nice spike.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Come in to about 11km with all systems at there full power levels. Hit your "full impulse" then disengage after about 1 or 2 seconds. Then hit EPW or BOL, with HYT and open fire. Works on my captains cruiser nicely. You could also (if engineer) hit EPS power transfer.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Hiya Silvermayne.

To the OP,
    I'm up for all sorts of new Attack Patterns being added to the game over time.
  • Options
    cylus566cylus566 Member Posts: 84 Arc User
    It's technically in the game already as point jump.
  • Options
    qultuqqultuq Member Posts: 988 Arc User
    edited January 2022
    > @cylus566 said:
    > It's technically in the game already as point jump.

But it wasn’t in July 2010 when this thread was originally made. You are awaking really old discussions that are no longer relevant to the current game.
  • Options
    baddmoonrizinbaddmoonrizin Member Posts: 10,329 Community Moderator
    Necro /thread
    GrWzQke.png
    Star Trek Online Volunteer Community Moderator and Resident She-Wolf
    Community Moderators are Unpaid Volunteers and NOT Employees of Gearbox/Cryptic
    Views and Opinions May Not Reflect the Views and Opinions of Gearbox/Cryptic
    ----> Contact Customer Support <----
    Moderation Problems/Issues? Please contact the Community Manager
    Terms of Service / Community Rules and Policies / FCT
    Want the latest information on Star Trek Online?
    Facebook / Twitter / Twitch
This discussion has been closed.