test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc

What EXACTLY about the engine limits this game?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
I see people chalk up frustrations, disappointments or things that they dislike about the game to the game engine being shared with Champions.

Now, there are things I think could be better with a longer development timeline or with certain choices re-evaluated.

HOWEVER...

The engine itself is not "old"; it was developed from the ground up for a game that was released five months before STO. I fail to see how it's ill-suited to a Star Trek game or how anything I've ever seen as a complaint about this game is due to the engine's limitations.

An engine handles the networking and graphics. Most of the graphical limitations are not due to the engine but what the target user's computer can handle (ie. polygon budgets). In terms of instancing vs. multiple servers vs. the cap on players per instance... None of that is necessarily tied to the engine. In terms of the combat systems employed? Again, not tied to the engine.

Now, in terms of bugs with line of sight or an enemy failing to spawn, those are issues with the engine itself being too new, not with it being a "bad engine" and certainly not with it being "old".
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited June 2010
    Two words:

"No Hemi"

(And snap on the "instancing", that's the only beef I have tech wise.)

EDIT (Afterthought)
    This is assuming that the Z axis is "locked" and if "unlocked" could be used. Otherwise, the lack of a Z-axis is the biggest flaw with the engine.

(Free the Z)
    edited June 2010
    I doubt you'll get technical specifications from a developer about this... However, every engine has it's pros and cons.

I worked with heroengine for over 3 years, and like an MMO, it evolves as you use it. When I first began using it, it didn't have seamless environments (you needed to piece things together via assets). Though, it was in around the time Bioware purchased a license (nice guys, btw).

Same with AI. Same with a lot of things. If it's developed as a core system, each game they use will gain benefits from the engine being worked on, and in time, limitations can be overcome.

Another big part is how well the content designers can make use of the technology. Some of the geekier people might do more with it than the less geeky people. It depends...

EDIT:

An "engine" is probably more inclusive than you imagine, it certainly wouldn't be just graphics and networking (try to imagine a level editor with a scripting available -- with wrappers for virtually everything -- input, sound, entities/objects/etc). Though the line of sight errors you're mentioning are probably related to extrapolation, not the engine necessarily being unable to perform a decent ray cast (which is easy). For play experience, the leniency might be too high or low in some cases, which is something that might stand to be tweaked on more.
    edited June 2010
    Technically, STO uses an updated version of the same engine that powers City of Heroes.

That's how many years old now?

But the STO engine has a lot of new shiny bits.

-np
    edited June 2010
    Yea I heard the built an engine for champions. Didnt know anything about them rebuilding an old one.
    edited June 2010
    Technically, STO uses an updated version of the same engine that powers City of Heroes.

That's how many years old now?

But the STO engine has a lot of new shiny bits.

-np

Not true and if it were, there would be some liability there as Cryptic doesn't own the CoH engine.

It was built from the ground up. The similarities are likely cases where some of the same people were involved in both and so they used systems they were familiar with.
    edited June 2010
    Not true and if it were, there would be some liability there as Cryptic doesn't own the CoH engine.

It was built from the ground up. The similarities are likely cases where some of the same people were involved in both and so they used systems they were familiar with.

Unless he has proof, I'm going with a modded Champions engine, as has been stated many a time.

Of course, if Cryptic really wanted to, they could always built a brand new shiny engine.:D
    edited June 2010
    MGDawson wrote: »
    Unless he has proof, I'm going with a modded Champions engine, as has been stated many a time.

Of course, if Cryptic really wanted to, they could always built a brand new shiny engine.:D

They just built a new engine LAST YEAR. I'd rather they polished this engine up before creating a new one that would probably be exactly the same anyway.
    edited June 2010

Or, orrrrrr... they could fork out about 700k and license the ur3 engine. :D

or.. or.. the Cryengine 3!

Lots of awesome pre builts out there and we all know cryptics spankin rich. ;)
    edited June 2010

Actually, Cryptic owns the City of Heroes engine. NCsoft licenses it from Cryptic, and presumably has been doing so since they bought out Cryptic's stake in the game. NCsoft owns the IP and assets, not the engine.

Also, Cryptic employees seem to refer to City of Heroes as using the 'Cryptic Engine' as well. When Star Trek Online was initially announced, I remember several interviews and videos where they said STO would be using the Cryptic Engine, a proven MMO platform 'eight years in development'. Or some number like that, anyway.

I tend to think you're right. Champions Online probably was made from the ground up. But it seems they consider it an evolution of the City of Heroes engine rather than a completely different beast.
    edited June 2010
    Acylion wrote:
    Actually, Cryptic owns the City of Heroes engine. NCsoft licenses it from Cryptic, and presumably has been doing so since they bought out Cryptic's stake in the game. NCsoft owns the IP and assets, not the engine.

Also, Cryptic employees seem to refer to City of Heroes as using the 'Cryptic Engine' as well. When Star Trek Online was initially announced, I remember several interviews and videos where they said STO would be using the Cryptic Engine, a proven MMO platform 'eight years in development'. Or some number like that, anyway.

I tend to think you're right. Champions Online probably was made from the ground up. But it seems they consider it an evolution of the City of Heroes engine rather than a completely different beast.

They did use their knowledge. They didn't do too much to reinvent the proprietary file formats.

But CoH still has sluggish controls and handling on my computers and CO runs like a dream.
    edited June 2010
    City of Heroes is *a* engine that Cryptic developed. STO uses a modded Champions Online engine, which was developed from the ground up originally for Marvel Universe Online (or whatever Marvel Comics was going to call their MMO). When Marvel's deal fell through, Cryptic decided that instead of just ditching all the work they'd done for Marvel, they'd just re-purpose it for Champions. And then Star Trek came along and they showed CBS how quickly they could make a Star Trek game with the same engine, and CBS approved it.
    edited June 2010
    why do people think the Z axis is locked?

The controls not letting you go straight up or down is not the same as the Z axis being not there/locked. If there were true you would never be able to up or down (see guildwars for a Z axis less game)

the controls are what limits it, not the game engine.
    edited June 2010
    I think you also have to keep in mind that the game was originally supposed to be released on consoles.

I think quite a few of the limits of Star Trek Online come from that, Sector Space being probably the most prominent one.

At least that's what I gathered from following the forums.
    edited June 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    why do people thing the Z axis is locked?

the controls not letting you go stright up or down is not the same as the Z axis being not there. if there were true you would never be able to up or down (see guildwars for a Z axis less game)

the controls are what limits it, not the game engine.

I think it is locked, because it is locked.

Locked means I can not access it at whim.

Please, what's with the semantics? Or did you not think about going vertically in the ships?

Lastly, please explain how the controls are not tied to the engine?
    edited June 2010
    I think it is locked, because it is locked.

Locked means I can not access it at whim.

Please, what's with the semantics? Or did you not think about going vertically in the ships?

Lastly, please explain how the controls are not tied to the engine?

The controls limit the amount of "tilt" ingame, along with a few variables. You can never be fully upright (either pointing up or down) And the engine doesn't limit, the code Devs put in does.
    edited June 2010
    Because the controls can be changed with out any engine changes?
    edited June 2010
    If I log into the game right now (assuming it was up) would the engine allow me to fully use my Z-Axis?

Thank you.

EDIT (To Add)
    Remeber that remark on semantics?

Whether it is a "broken flaw" or an "intended flaw" it is still a FLAW.
    edited June 2010
    I don't listen to the Crypic's engine can't handle it garbage. Most of the time you hear that it's from someone trolling. They are repeating what they heard to try and damage the game and don't know what they are talking about. Just ask for proof that engine can't handle one of claims. They can't produce it.
    edited June 2010
    If I log into the game right now (assuming it was up) would the engine allow me to fully use my Z-Axis?

Thank you.

The debate isn't whether you can use it or not. It is not a engine issue. It is a control issue, which is down to manouverability programming put there by Devs.
    edited June 2010

Thank you.

EDIT (To Add)
    Remeber that remark on semantics?

Whether it is a "broken flaw" or an "intended flaw" it is still a FLAW.

Yes, the game lets you full use the Z axis, the controls mean that you have to spiral to use that Z axis.

The fact that you don't know that the Z axis only allows up and down, not how you go up and down show why you think it's a flaw of the game engine.
    edited June 2010
    The debate isn't whether you can use it or not. It is not a engine issue. It is a control issue, which is down to manouverability programming put there by Devs.

See above edit. Semantics.

As it stands the engine will not allow me to use my Z-Axis. That is a flaw, I feel that the Z-axis should be "unlocked" (We do know what quotation marks are, right?). Whether or not it is "broken" or "intended" is moot.
    edited June 2010
    Hoplite wrote: »
    Yes, the game lets you full use the Z axis, the controls mean that you have to spiral to use that Z axis.

The fact that you don't know that the Z axis only allows up and down, not how you go up and down show why you think it's a flaw of the game engine.

Up and Down, in space? I am the one that doesn't understand the Z axis?

And no, moving the X plane to a 45 degree angle is not moving vertically, which is what I am discussing.
    edited June 2010
    See above edit. Semantics.

As it stands the engine will not allow me to use my Z-Axis. That is a flaw, I feel that the Z-axis should be "unlocked" (We do know what quotation marks are, right?). Whether or not it is "broken" or "intended" is moot.
    I fail to see how this has anything to do with semantics (you like that word, huh?) - the game already allows you to use the Z-Axis in space or you wouldn't be able to go up and down at all. It's as simple as that.
    edited June 2010
    ...If the Z axis wasn't there, you would being able to move up or down at all.

See that's what the Z axis covers, the y axis forwards and backwards, the x axis side to side.

How you are able to navigate along those axis is a control issue, not a game engine limitation.
    edited June 2010
    If you are unable to see that the ship is sitting on the X plane, and when I start a spiral all that happens is the X plane moving I don't know what to type.

Imagine the ship in space. Draw a plane through the center of the ship, when the ship tilts "up" what happens to that plane?

The Z plane would be sticking out of the top of the ship, VERTICALLY! Do you not understand???? To move on this, one would only move VERTICALLY.
    edited June 2010
    Up and Down, in space? I am the one that doesn't understand the Z axis?

And no, moving the X plane to a 45 degree angle is not moving vertically, which is what I am discussing.

If you are moving in an upward pitch 45 degrees you are moving in the x plane and the z plane. If there were no z plane you could only move horizontal. The current controls don't all you to pilot your ships at a true vertical pitch. Which I think I heard they are talking about or are going to change.
    edited June 2010
    Here is the technical information, maybe that will help?
    Heading: The direction of the ship in relation to the center of the galaxy broken down into a 360° arc on the X axis (yaw). Another 360° arc is the direction separated by saying "mark" which is the Y axis (pitch). For example, if a commander of a starship wanted a heading of 180 mark 0, he'd want to turn the ship to the southernmost section of the galaxy while keeping the Y axis of the ship parallel to the plane of the galaxy.

Sometimes a crewman reports the Bearing of a ship or object or the Heading of the ship with inconsistent numbers, like "heading 12 mark 820", which is an overlooked error by the writers of the show.

* Pitch: The orientation of a ship's bow and aft ends respectively (up and down).
    * Roll: The orientation of the ventral and dorsal sides of the ship respectively.
    * Yaw: The orientation of the port and starboard sides of the ship respectively (side to side).
    Source

edited June 2010
    Yes, you don't under stand that you can't tilt the plane to produce upward movment as there is no up with out the Z axis.

Ships could not be above you if there is no Z axis. You could not fire up at them with beams or turrets.
    edited June 2010
    AH I see what you did there!

I never said NO Z, I said that we did not have full access! Sneaky sneaky sneaky!
    edited June 2010
    Well done, you are getting it, so if the Z axis is there, it is a control limitation on your ship that doesn't allow you to travel straight up.