Install Arc
Options

Do you feel $15 a month is justified?

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited April 2010
    mirek99 wrote:
    A good portion of DDO is inaccessable if you are on the F2P model and many groups will kick you if you are F2P gimped. It makes for good encouragement to get a real membership there. So DDO's F2P is more of a big free trial than anything else. So let's not post part of a story like fact.

Turbine press release said 500% increase in revenues AFTER changing to F2P.

Of course DDO has more things going for it than STO does at the moment, content for example.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I give u 2 dolla Cryptic!
    Per Year :eek::D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lot wrote:
    Gold Edition pre-order boxes came with the normal 30 days plus and an additional 60 days of free time included in the box price. That means up to May 2010 included in the box price. I guess it depended on which retailer you bought the box from, in which country and what promotions they had during pre-order.

Nice try but no cigar. ;)

Still a huge lie on your part because your sig states you cancelled your STO subscription. If you are indeed still on the free time that came with the purchase of your copy of the game you have never had a subscription that could be cancelled.

Before you can cancel a subscription you first have to be paying a subscription fee. All you have done is told Cryptic that you won't be activating your subscription once your free time expires. Claiming that you cancelled something that you never started is still a lie. ;)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lot wrote:

Exactly. When the F2P players realize how much they are missing they decide paying for subs is worth it.
    Thus revenues increase. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Lot wrote:

Of course DDO has more things going for it than STO does at the moment, content for example.

I hear they disable your forum access as soon as you cancel as well. It helps to keep the trolls in-game where they can be killed with fire.

DDO has more content? That's actually surprising considering they just launched as well. Oh wait, their launch date appears to be 02/08/06. So that would have given them..... wait don't help me.... fifty months? No, that can't be right. Are you trying to say a fifty month old game has more content than one under three months old? Inconceivable!
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Still a huge lie on your part because your sig states you cancelled your STO subscription. If you are indeed still on the free time that came with the purchase of your copy of the game you have never had a subscription that could be cancelled.

Before you can cancel a subscription you first have to be paying a subscription fee. All you have done is told Cryptic that you won't be activating your subscription once your free time expires. Claiming that you cancelled something that you never started is still a lie. ;)

When you set up your account, you do have to set up a subscription plan before you can even play the free 30 days. So it's possible he canceled his plan before the free time was up.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mirek99 wrote:
    I hear they disable your forum access as soon as you cancel as well. It helps to keep the trolls in-game where they can be killed with fire.

DDO has more content? That's actually surprising considering they just launched as well. Oh wait, their launch date appears to be 02/08/06. So that would have given them..... wait don't help me.... fifty months? No, that can't be right. Are you trying to say a fifty month old game has more content than one under three months old? Inconceivable!

Trolls?
    You mean people who think STO is a lcheap joke and aren't afraid to say it? lol
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Trolls?

It depends. Do they hang around in a forum of a game they don't play to trash talk it? If so, then yes!

Do they spend more time on the forums than in game and complain about everything under the sun? If so then yes!

Do they have troll comments in their forum sig? If so then yes!

But one thing from your post puts me into that category, Dublin old boy. I think a fair number of forum dweller are a cheap joke and I'm not afraid to say it. But I do understand that vitriol spewing in places like this may be the only therapy some can afford.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Justified? ppl will tend to justify anything.

Is $15 per month good value for money for the game in its current state?

Judging by the amount of time I've spent playing STO, I'd have to say no.

The game is lacking in depth, content and challenge.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Would a cheaper monthly fee tempt unsubscribers to return?
    I'm not sure.

Edit: IT would have to be a large drop, perhaps $7.50 a month?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    When you set up your account, you do have to set up a subscription plan before you can even play the free 30 days. So it's possible he canceled his plan before the free time was up.

I understand that's the procedure everyone has to go thru to get access to the server, but teling them you're not interested before the free time is up is not a cancelled subscription. The free time we were given is just a test drive of the game. :)
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I understand that's the procedure everyone has to go thru to get access to the server, but teling them you're not interested before the free time is up is not a cancelled subscription. The free time we were given is just a test drive of the game. :)

No it is not you pay for the box hence part of the box price is to cover the monthly fees.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Trolls?

It's not that they don't like the game, nor is it that they aren't afraid to say it. Also trolls aren't limited to people that don't like the game. :D
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Still stands that he canceled his subscription plan. It was there and even if he only uses the time with game purchase, he still had to cancel something. He canceled his plan. You're just nitpicking over him not saying the word "plan" which 99% of the people don't even use when talking about their sub.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No it is not you pay for the box hence part of the box price is to cover the monthly fees.

No it isn't. The price of the box is for the game itself.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Still stands that he canceled his subscription plan. It was there and even if he only uses the time with game purchase, he still had to cancel something. He canceled his plan. You're just nitpicking over him not saying the word "plan" which 99% of the people don't even use when talking about their sub.

You're right. I am nitpicking. It doesn't mean the point I'm making is wrong tho.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My only complaint about paying to play is all the instancing. Why is it this game costs 15 bucks a month yet all the Guild Wars are completely free to play. It's set up in almost the exact same way.

Discuss?

It's not the same way. The ONLY time you see any other players in guild wars is in the towns. When you enter a mission instance you are either alone or with the party you formed in town. You never encounter new players when you are doing missions. You can't wander the countryside and just find other people.
    In sto, you can find people during a mission (they join in), you can find them in space, etc. Also guild wars doesn't release free content, only new content you have to pay for. They also don't patch on a regular basis either. It's a static game that never changes, content wise. Sto is constantly getting free updates and will continue to do so until the first paid expansion. Then we will get more free updates after that until the next paid expansion, etc.

And yes, i think my 50 cents a day is well spent entertainment. I've wasted $15 on a horrible movie before. That was two hours of "entertainment" when my $15 could have bought me 30 DAYS of entertainment.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No it isn't. The price of the box is for the game itself.

Do you know that for a fact or are you just pulling it out of thin air? Of course it is factored into the box price. Do you think the servers and maintenance personal for the servers run on gerbil power? No they have real live humans running them and they have to be paid and servers need to be bought and maintained. And the subscription fee covers those expenses plus profit.

Hence my statement stands true that a portion of the box price covers the subscription fee.

get off your soapbox and take a business 101 class before you spew nonsense.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Krussian wrote:

And yes, i think my 50 cents a day is well spent entertainment. I've wasted $15 on a horrible movie before. That was two hours of "entertainment" when my $15 could have bought me 30 DAYS of entertainment.

30 days of the same half a movie sucks dont u think?
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Do you know that for a fact or are you just pulling it out of thin air? Of course it is factored into the box price. Do you think the servers and maintenance personal for the servers run on gerbil power? No they have real live humans running them and they have to be paid and servers need to be bought and maintained. And the subscription fee covers those expenses plus profit.

Hence my statement stands true that a portion of the box price covers the subscription fee.

get off your soapbox and take a business 101 class before you spew nonsense.

Look who's spewing nonsense. You aren't a Cryptic employee but you are claiming to have proprietary information on how they decided what to charge for the price of the game itself. The only thing you got right is that the sub fee covers the expense of maintaning the servers. The price of the game itself goes to the development costs.

The game cost $X to make and they need to sell #Y copies at $Z dollars to break even.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Koffeeuk wrote:
    30 days of the same half a movie sucks dont u think?

Only if you don't like the movie.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Look who's spewing nonsense. You aren't a Cryptic employee but you are claiming to have proprietary information on how they decided what to charge for the price of the game itself. The only thing you got right is that the sub fee covers the expense of maintaning the servers. The price of the game itself goes to the development costs.

The game cost $X to make and they need to sell #Y copies at $Z dollars to break even.

This is my last post to you because i do not talk to trolls on either side of the argument. Take a business class and then come back. Common sense FTW

You just make stuff to fit your view and bash anybody who opposes you

This post has been edited to remove content which violates the Cryptic Studios Forum Usage Guidelines ~Iylenya"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Whats gets me about this thread are the people who dont find it value for money, yet are still here. LOL
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Absolutely not. I feel this game should be F2P.

My justification?

Star Trek Online is way too casual with simplistic game play and progression.
    Star Trek Online is shallow and core game mechanics prevent it from becoming "massive"

Considering that other Free to Play games have greater depth and replayabiliy than STO (such as Free Realms, ROM, Allods and DDO to name a few), then I would say this game belongs in that bracket.

This game is not ready to compete with the subscription based MMO market, and shouldn't be considered AAA. This is just my opinion. Hopefully however, you can see the train of logic as to how I arrived at this opinion. See the thread in my signature.

Allods and Free Realms aren't really good examples. I acutally like both games, but Free Realms is subscription based these days if you want to get above level 5 and has a cash shop. It also doesn't have much depth, its a kids playground. Allods is the nearest to a WoW clone I've ever seen and its actually the most expensive MMO out there to play at the moment, due to its skill system and death penalty recovery requiring the cash shop. Someone recently costed that to have a maxed out character would currently cost $10,000. Yes, $10,000. Just because a game doesn't have a subscription doesn't makes it free.

In general STO is a lot better than the (true) F2P MMOs, which often are extemely dated in their mechanics and design. The exceptions are DDO and Guild Wars. The latter, to be honest, puts the vast majority of subscription based MMOs to shame. One also has to take into account DDO is a failed subscription based MMO.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Whats gets me about this thread are the people who dont find it value for money, yet are still here. LOL

The very definition of troll if you ask me
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Yeah, people whom claim to hate this game but secretly love it. They will take the CE box edition into the closet..........well lets not get..nasty here, I am sure you get the point.

Take a look at the person that bad talks this game, look at the time they joined. Figure it out, at launch not 1 pre-order game had more than 30 day trial, thats been over since 3-2-10, its 4-13-10 which means that paid for another 2 months.

Now there are people that are spiteful enough to pay the fee just to spew BS on the forums, personally I think they have a agenda or reason for doing so other than just not liking the game.

Anyway, back to topic, yes this game is justified at $15 a month, if my wife wanted to play, I would pay for her monthly instead of a lifetime sub though, unless the LTS price went back down. Peace.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Krussian wrote:
    Thats how it works in this lil girls twisted personal world.

$15(ish) to go and a see a movie that last maybe 2 hours... And then you have to pay that amount again if the movie was good and you want to see it again. (and then we got all the obnoxious people while you try and watch the movie... you can simple /ignore those in a MOO)

Or pay the same amount for a MMO that you can pick up and experience whenever you want during these 30 days. Oh and if you wanna redo it? Just roll a new character. No need to shell out another $15.
    Not saying the game will last those 30 days... But it sure will last more than 2 hours.

Once balanced 3 MMO's at the same time... Never again. But it was soooooooo worth it.(bf would argue however... he didn't get food for days.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am on my free trial...but I do not think I would continue this but 2-3 months...

$15 is just a start...is not what you think it is worth now...what are you
    willing to pay when things get better? $20/mo - $25/mo?

I hated\ AOL and I surely hated the $24.95/mo fee....the only reason I had
    it at all because of the wife...once DSL came to be known...I
    dumped AOL in a heartbeat....sure AOL screens looked good,
    and pretty graphics, but that was it...there was very few
    features that I ever used at all....to me $24.95/mo was not
    worth the price...

When STO gets better and all, just be prepared to pay more...

when anything gets better, you always pay more of a price....

but at this time, I do not think it is worth $15/mo - this does not
    mean I wont play, but will play for the time being....if you can not
    keep things fresh, changed around, more action, more everything, then
    things get dull, and when it gets dull, people will leave anyways....
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yes $15 is worth it if all the things I need are available in game and do not require micro transactions. right now MT is supplemental income.

Look at eastern MMO models sometime. Those F2P games make huge bank off Micros.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    dsimms wrote: »
    I am on my free trial...but I do not think I would continue this but 2-3 months...

$15 is just a start...is not what you think it is worth now...what are you
    willing to pay when things get better? $20/mo - $25/mo?

I hated\ AOL and I surely hated the $24.95/mo fee....the only reason I had
    it at all because of the wife...once DSL came to be known...I
    dumped AOL in a heartbeat....sure AOL screens looked good,
    and pretty graphics, but that was it...there was very few
    features that I ever used at all....to me $24.95/mo was not
    worth the price...

When STO gets better and all, just be prepared to pay more...

when anything gets better, you always pay more of a price....

but at this time, I do not think it is worth $15/mo - this does not
    mean I wont play, but will play for the time being....if you can not
    keep things fresh, changed around, more action, more everything, then
    things get dull, and when it gets dull, people will leave anyways....

No other MMO has went over the $15 month sub, it probably will never happen, and definately will not happen with this game, EVER! Give the game a few months and season 2 should be out then(july). More content = happy players.