test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Revival: Minigames for Non-Combat Missions (with pictures!)

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited July 2010
    Mr The Cat,

You, Sir, are a gentleman and a scholar! Great news indded to see your hard work recognised. I look forward to seeing the end results in-game.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just saw the wave mini game its pretty cool! Good work man!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I like the scan mini game. Got it right once and got some rare particle.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. In case you're not on Tribble, Here's a screen shot of the scanning/sine wave minigame in action:

Big Screen Shot

This looks like the only one that'll be included in Season 2. I don't know if they have plans to adapt more or if they'll wait to see what the feedback on this one is or what.

If you like it and want to see more of these adopted, be sure to post your feedback in the Tribble Test forums. Once the minigame goes live to Holodeck I suppose a new thread with specific feedback might be in order in this forum.

Also, be sure to stop by the General R&D room of Memory Alpha and get your picture taken with my alter-ego. :D

I won't be giving this up, I have a couple more ideas that I want to elaborate on down the road. I'm hip-deep in a huge project currently but will need a release every now and then so I'll try and use STO art as a "break" from that stuff. So I guess what I'm saying is there will still be an idea from me every once in a while going forward.

I just posted some new art today, though it's not about Minigames. Check it out here.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the congratulations, everyone. In case you're not on Tribble, Here's a screen shot of the scanning/sine wave minigame

Where's our option to skip them as well?

Also, someone from my fleet mentioned that they didn't give us enough time to read the directions or understand it before the mini-game was over.

Hopefully Cryptic will give us 1.) a way to skip these, and 2.) visible instructions and control layout before the mini-game actually starts (ie: a button to start the game while the directions are still visible, and a UI option to toggle skipping the start each time for those who are familiar with it).
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Where's our option to skip them as well?

I agree there could be a bit more time to figure out what's going on before the thing starts. I know that if you press "F" during the game it will let you skip it. I don't know if they'll be adding a global setting or not.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I agree there could be a bit more time to figure out what's going on before the thing starts.

Yup, would be nice. My fleet member who complained about this is a pretty quick learner and he had to fail one mini-game of each in order to spend time reading and understanding the controls.
    II know that if you press "F" during the game it will let you skip it. I don't know if they'll be adding a global setting or not.

Cool. I hope pressing F will be global.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    A big MEOW to Thomas The Cat. :) Love this thread! :)
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Is there a way to disable these stupid mini-games?
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    AnnonSeek wrote: »

I don't think they have a global setting yet, but you can press "F" or the "Quit" button right after the game starts to skip it.
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    ;) +1 Rep to The Cat
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    So Cryptic, you need to hire this guy to oversee and design these minigames for us! I am blown away my these games! :)
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    2of9 wrote:
    So Cryptic, you need to hire this guy to oversee and design these minigames for us! I am blown away my these games! :)

Cryptic actually bought them from ThomasTheCat. :D

He's that good.
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Nice work there ThomastheCat. I really like the Radial Frogger and Guiltar Hero. I could also see the 3D Plot Compare also be used to compare molecular structures for Scientific objectives (just replace the terrain with molecules, DNA strains, etc). Just because you referenced Bejeweled Twist, you are awesome (Twist is the best, imho), but linking it to a translator is brilliant. Your graphical work in integrating these into Trek is exceptionally well done, and I could see playing any and all of these throughout the game.

Also, congrats on your deal with Cryptic and congrats on seeing your 1st one in-game.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I have also a idea for a minigame and that is:

Play as a Red Shirt (security officer)

Now I am still thinking about the details to make it work, but it would be great to play as the biggest heroe of the game. Running and shooting enemies without fear to protect the Captain like a bodyguard.
    And when the Red Shirt is killed in action, a Captain (comp or player) will put the dead Red Shirt in a coffin and shoot it out the starship into space :D
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    That would be fun to have these kinds of mini games! Count me in :)
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Yeah, these are AWESOME, and the best thing is their all classics, AND atari games, hah! Talk about a double-bonus. These (when implemented) will be AWESOME, if they could add more like these, it would make STO that much more amazing.

Congrats ThomasTheCat, and I hope to see more in the future!
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    AnnonSeek wrote: »

Is there a way to disable the trolls?
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I really like these ideas; I personally like the pipe game which they also had in Star Trek Elite Force. I would like to use these minigames to help to repair my ship when it is damaged rather than using components. Having to go inside my ship and do the repairs manually makes me feel more involved. Or even when making ship improvements, for example I could go to the maindeflector inside my ship and re-align it to improve my ships stats. Also 3D chess is something I have always wanted to try. I hope Cryptic takes these suggestions to heart.
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Thomas, I have a couple ideas that you might be able to expand upon.

The first one is called Computer Hack (took me an hour to make that one up)

What you do, is you play a game of Pac-Man. Simple, fun, and definitely something that would make sense.

Basically, you use your "Virus" to steal/corrupt "memory shards" or "bytes" from enemy computers to gain information. Your enemy has several "antivirus" programs that are out to take out your programs, after a certain amount of deaths (I say 3) and the enemy knows you are hacking into their computer.

The second one is called AntiVirus

Basically, you take the other side, you are defending against a virus that is taking over your computer.

I can say this one can be an even SIMPLER game, I'm thinking, Pong, yes, Pong, you are trying to get the Viruses (ball) away from your computer (you side) and send them back to the enemy. This one is also very simple, fun, and there are a LOT of styles of Pong, which means there can be special variations.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    GREAT Ideas!!! but is it possible to the creators of the game (A.K.A. Cryptic...) see this stuff? I'm tired of just scan or "Press F" actions... So Bored... Send this to them and let's hope see it in the game very soon!!!!

P.S.: I do prefer these kind of missions, because looks like more scientific and "...to boudly go" than "shoot first, aks later" missions in the present game!!!!
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    fccruz wrote: »
    GREAT Ideas!!! but is it possible to the creators of the game (A.K.A. Cryptic...) see this stuff? I'm tired of just scan or "Press F" actions... So Bored... Send this to them and let's hope see it in the game very soon!!!!

P.S.: I do prefer these kind of missions, because looks like more scientific and "...to boudly go" than "shoot first, aks later" missions in the present game!!!!

They actually bought all the designs...

And have implemented exactly one so far.

Oh, and they also made dabo so you can spend hours listening to (or muting) a tiny loop of Chase Masterson clips while slowly, slowly, slooooooooooooooooowly converting energy credits to GPL to get dress-up costumes for your ship.

So that's two whole minigames so far.
  • Options
    edited October 2010
    They actually bought all the designs...

And have implemented exactly one so far.

Oh, and they also made dabo so you can spend hours listening to (or muting) a tiny loop of Chase Masterson clips while slowly, slowly, slooooooooooooooooowly converting energy credits to GPL to get dress-up costumes for your ship.

So that's two whole minigames so far.

I wonder why these other mini-games haven't been implemented
    yet. I was thinking that there were more than just the anomaly
    scanner & costumes. Maybe they have to rewrite several ground
    missions to put in locked doors or hackable computers or something.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It's cool to see that there are still people excited about these ideas. Dstahl has said in the recent Ask Cryptic that they're working on more.

I did want to pop in here because it seems fitting that this is the right place to announce this, but Cryptic Studios/Atari have hired me as an Associate Graphic Designer and I'm going to be starting with them November 29th.

I'll be working primarily on marketing and website stuff but hopefully they'll let me chime in on STO every now and then. :)

Anyway, I know for a fact that I wouldn't have had this opportunity if you guys hadn't been so supportive with this thread, so thank you, again. I am really looking forward to be working at Cryptic full time and you guys all helped to make that possible.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Congrats ThomastheCat, you're one lucky Cat! ;)

Just out of curiosity, will you be working from home or at one of the Cryptic / Atari offices?
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Alecto wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, will you be working from home or at one of the Cryptic / Atari offices?

Thanks! I'm moving out to the San Jose area; I'll be working at the Cryptic/Atari offices.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    I did want to pop in here because it seems fitting that this is the right place to announce this, but Cryptic Studios/Atari have hired me as an Associate Graphic Designer and I'm going to be starting with them November 29th.

Congratulations. :)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Thanks! I'm moving out to the San Jose area; I'll be working at the Cryptic/Atari offices.

That is incredibly awesome, good luck and congrats again! :D LoL
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Just wanted to offer my congrats to the cat. Who says you can't be a creative gamer and then not get hired by the game you play? Looks like your ideas paid off and got you to move to California! Though, I hope they pay you well as it sounds ike it costs an arm and leg just to live in California.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    It is certainly a culture shock moving from southern Missouri! But the opportunity is definitely worth it!