Options

Tips for Ground PvP

2»

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited March 2010
    Slamz,

I think I just need to test, not sure I follow exactly what you are saying.

SO if a guy runs around with a sniper rifle and a stun phaser, there is no shared cool down? It would only be shared if the weapons are both exploit or expose?

That makes sense if true. The inventory thing is something I was not aware of nor have I ever seen, and I would agree is something that should be fixed.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The inventory thing has been fixed. I updated the original post with that after they fixed it.

For what's coming in update one, as I understand it:

Expose weapons all share "cooldown A"
    Exploit weapons all share "cooldown B"

So yeah, you can carry stun + sniper and fire them back to back.

Originally I thought that this meant that carrying 2x sniper rifles would be useless (they would share their cooldown) but it sounds like the shared cooldown is only 3 seconds, so 2x sniper rifles will still be valid.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Slamz wrote:
    Originally I thought that this meant that carrying 2x sniper rifles would be useless (they would share their cooldown) but it sounds like the shared cooldown is only 3 seconds, so 2x sniper rifles will still be valid.

Oh really?? That sounds like good news. I was also thinking that a shared cooldown meant you have to wait the whole 10 seconds between shots regardless of which exploit weapon you fired.

I am eager to see how much they lowered the damage on the split beam myself. When I was a lowly Lt. Commander swapping compression pistols I stumbled upon your thread and switched to two split beams; I haven't looked back since. You're right, that if a tactical is specced correctly then the expose is never really necessarry. I also get most of my kills from pure wtfpzwn damage. I'm just a little weary of switching to a sniper rifle because I suck at selecting targets around those stupid drones and turrets and all that.

When these changes come out I would love to run some rounds with you Slamz and test it all out against the general populous.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    bump this awesome thread, that the Dev should STICKY....
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is it possible to get expose resist by any means?
    I've had some guys in T5 PvP that are always exposed after the first or second skills and some that didn't catch expose no matter what.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sophia wrote:
    I've had some guys in T5 PvP that are always exposed after the first or second skills and some that didn't catch expose no matter what.

Not that I know of, but there are medical skills (from science kits) that can give someone a ticking heal-over-time that cures exposes with every tick. Sometimes you'll expose them, hear the expose noise, but never see the symbol because it gets cured instantly.

It is a highly random thing, though. There have been matches where we comment that "we're just not getting any exposes" and then some other match where it's like we're getting them all the time.

At lease the changes coming on March 25th will make it so that exposes don't play such a huge role -- they'll be a lot easier to counter and deal with.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I know healers can cure it, but the ones I've encountered where a tac with stealth kit and a bunker engi.
    I could understand if the health generator removes it for the later, but from what I've seen on my engi it doesn't.
    Does one of those armors with adrenaline stimulator or constant HP regen automatically remove expose?
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    a tact and eng pair, kinda reminds me of 2 klingons, I played against and with. Back to the front page.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    awesome post, thanks :)
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Sophia wrote:

Yes, Tacticals have a skill that reduces expose chance.

There are traits that can reduce exposes.

Physician, Xenobiologist, and Medic kits can cure exposes completely.

Also, there are ways to survive from getting 1-shot by expose-exploit attacks. :) But not going to reveal that here.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    The reason they added a shared cool down for exploit and expose attacks is because they improved the game mechanic of switching weapons, so that it should be easier/quicker to do so. It's also a balancing issue.

I hope they fixed the Infected purple weapon bugs. Tired of seeing Feds abuse this bug in PVP.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Is there a stun chance or something? With the duels.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Surgery wrote:
    Also, there are ways to survive from getting 1-shot by expose-exploit attacks. :) But not going to reveal that here.

Its a tactical trait that they can fake it.... ???
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nothing more to add really.Youve covered all of it.So far,the pvp in this game has been impressive.I was able to pvp all the way up as a klingon and mix it up on my fed character and get xp,credits and rewards for it.I cant think of any other MMO ive played where you can do that right now-with the exception of WoW and i dont think you can actually level up in WoW just by pvping.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Nothing but common sense, but you missed out a good tip and that is make sure you're never to a corner, a box or something and make use of the rolls, if an enemy uses a exploit attack on you, if you roll before it hits you, you won't take damage.

You should never ever stand in the open, you need to play the game like modern day soldiers rather than the "red coat" style of standing in the open and trying to blast away, by dodging into cover you will also recover shields pretty quickly.

I do pretty well using these tactics with my Hirogen, Yagrik.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    So, I've noticed ground PVP has transformed into something else. After the patch, Sci captains have become the sturdiest, tankiest characters in PVP. I'd say Sci captains are now akin to paladins in WoW.

The overall feel of ground PVP has changed as well. Expose is not a guaranteed death ticket anymore. Less holds going around, meaning everyone is able to move more during skirmishes. A larger variety of weapons are seen; no longer the standard double split beam rifles.

It's a different feeling but I like it. Ground PVP feels a bit more faster paced than before (though it was already quite fast paced).
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    Surgery wrote:
    So, I've noticed ground PVP has transformed into something else. After the patch, Sci captains have become the sturdiest, tankiest characters in PVP. I'd say Sci captains are now akin to paladins in WoW.

The overall feel of ground PVP has changed as well. Expose is not a guaranteed death ticket anymore. Less holds going around, meaning everyone is able to move more during skirmishes. A larger variety of weapons are seen; no longer the standard double split beam rifles.

It's a different feeling but I like it. Ground PVP feels a bit more faster paced than before (though it was already quite fast paced).
    I actually kind of miss the expose damage. Now I pretty mush just spam primary and secondary attacks until things die -- expose/exploit took a bit more set up and was pretty much the only way to kill engineers or science officers.
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    inktomi19d wrote: »
    I actually kind of miss the expose damage. Now I pretty mush just spam primary and secondary attacks until things die -- expose/exploit took a bit more set up and was pretty much the only way to kill engineers or science officers.

True, I end up spamming an full auto, primary and secondary while using all the tactical buffs/debuffs hoping for a expose chance. But, unfortunately the smart players will use their consumables and their abilities to heal hp or shields, where as the tactical...can only utilize consumables. IMO, the tactical class got the short end of the stick, with the changes. Not like engineers, who can emplace gizmos, and heal their shield/hp w/o using a consumable, or even the Science class, whon can heal themselves, and/or remove expose chances...

So these 2 classes gets 2-3 ways to keep themselves alive...the tactical gets...uh...consumable and...smoke/stun bombs. :mad:
  • Options
    edited March 2010
    I like the new way. The expose hold - one hit kills where so lame.
    Too bad they didn't fix the rifle butt stunlock yet....

Tacticals do more damage, utilize it.
    It is possible to kill medics, though it will take you some time.
    Engineers are real hard to kill, they where insane tough before, but now it's nearly impossible to get the shields to drop. As Tactical you might as well try killing them with a Bath'let. ;)