What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Request: Realistic Scale for Ships

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    I don't understand your statement. You were wrong just admit it.

No, I don't think I will. Besides, I think it's entertaining to see you get so worked up over what essentially amounts to the opinion of others...

I still believe I am right. And since, you kindly brought up all those quotes:
    mtattersall
    Cryptic Studios Team

First of all I would like to thank everyone for the feedback. We have tried to make ship scaling as accurate as possible while taking gameplay and ship tier into consideration. In the case of smaller ships like shuttles we decided to increase the size a good amount to make them easier to see in the environment. When researching other ships we found the scale sometimes varied depending on the episode. We took that into consideration as well. We have and will continue to make adjustments in scale and proportions based on game changes and player feedback.

Emphasis mine to show that plain as day, the ship scales have been altered for smaller ships.

You can pound the table all you want Geofftillman, but, scrolling back through the pages, you'll note that the players would still like to see the size alterations removed. The justification that the sizes were increases to increase visibility no longer applies due to all the highlight boxes that exist.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Efaris wrote:
    No, I don't think I will. Besides, I think it's entertaining to see you get so worked up over what essentially amounts to the opinion of others...

I still believe I am right. And since, you kindly brought up all those quotes:

Emphasis mine to show that plain as day, the ship scales have been altered for smaller ships.

You can pound the table all you want Geofftillman, but, scrolling back through the pages, you'll note that the players would still like to see the size alterations removed. The justification that the sizes were increases to increase visibility no longer applies due to all the highlight boxes that exist.

I clearly stated the smaller ships were not to scale on purpose multiple times. You are wrong. I am not worked up or angry, simply correct, you on the other hand are mad because you were shown to be in error.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I clearly stated the smaller ships were not to scale on purpose multiple times. You are wrong. I am not worked up or angry, simply correct, you on the other hand are mad because you were shown to be in error.

Well, since you've clearly stated that they are not to scale, then why bother repeatedly pointing out how wrong the rest of us are for noticing that they are not to scale?

All the rest of us want is for the ships to be to scale.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Efaris wrote:
    Well, since you've clearly stated that they are not to scale, then why bother repeatedly pointing out how wrong the rest of us are for noticing that they are not to scale?

All the rest of us want is for the ships to be to scale.

Because the ships that are not to scale are only the very smallest. Not the main ships. the complaints in this thread were claiming that the large ships were not to scale. This is simply incorrect.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *ignores the flamewar and /signs the thread as per original topic*
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    *ignores the flamewar and /signs the thread as per original topic*

The Galaxy is to scale as per the original topic.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Actually yes the scale is correct. This has been proven time and time again. The search feature is your friend.

I wouldn't say it is correct as in exact, especially with a ship like the Romulan Warbird, or with the BOPs in comparison with other Klingon Ships.

Though I was experimenting and managed to get a scale pic of 4 ships.

Using the station as a reference point. Based on previous links for scale of ships. They are close then it might seem for at least these four.

Defiant, Galaxy, Akira and Miranda.

Though personally I think the Galaxy and other higher tier ships should be bigger :).

Link to screen shots.

Using the ledge of the station as a base for elevation I just lined up the ships on the point of the ledge for reference so they are all the same "height" based on the bottom of the vessel.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ceilican wrote: »
    I wouldn't say it is correct as in exact, especially with a ship like the Romulan Warbird, or with the BOPs in comparison with other Klingon Ships.

Though I was experimenting and managed to get a scale pic of 4 ships.

Using the station as a reference point. Based on previous links for scale of ships. They are close then it might seem for at least these four.

Defiant, Galaxy, Akira and Miranda.

Though personally I think the Galaxy and other higher tier ships should be bigger :).

Link to screen shots.

Using the ledge of the station as a base for elevation I just lined up the ships on the point of the ledge for reference so they are all the same "height" based on the bottom of the vessel.
    That is an impressive picture. well done. looking at those and then looking at the ship chart though they still look to scale. A Constitution may have been a better model than a Miranda for that.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    That is an impressive picture. well done. looking at those and then looking at the ship chart though they still look to scale. A Constitution may have been a better model than a Miranda for that.

Here, I redid the image and yeah the Defiant is not "quite" to scale and the Akira is a little shorter. The Miranda is almost dead on and the Galaxy is a little shorter. The defiant is only 4/5 Decks, so she is a small ship.

Linkage
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Here, I redid the image and yeah the Defiant is not "quite" to scale and the Akira is a little shorter. The Miranda is almost dead on and the Galaxy is a little shorter. The defiant is only 4/5 Decks, so she is a small ship.

Linkage

Those are VERY close to scale. You don't think that they are within the margin of error?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Those are VERY close to scale. You don't think that they are within the margin of error?

I am a miniature painter so, when it comes to details I can be a stickler but that is me.

However, if you are familiar with using the Cryptic /camdist commands in game. If you play Champions and you use the /camdist 100 you zoom out a bit. Yet in STO using the same command you actually zoom in, for that matter using 150 distance, so to me that doesn't really give me the impression of "Wow that is a big ship"

To me personally I feel like I am looking @ game miniatures more then a Star Ship.

Here is another thing too.

Many of use have seen Defiant @/near DS9, docked or in the process of, and the scale of the ship in relation to DS9, compared to the in-game Defiant when @ the station is drastically different.

If you haven't yet, take a defiant class to DS9 and "dock" as seen in the show. Not the same thing by a long shot.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am a miniature painter so, when it comes to details I can be a stickler but that is me.

However, if you are familiar with using the Cryptic /camdist commands in game. If you play Champions and you use the /camdist 100 you zoom out a bit. Yet in STO using the same command you actually zoom in, for that matter using 150 distance, so to me that doesn't really give me the impression of "Wow that is a big ship"

To me personally I feel like I am looking @ game miniatures more then a Star Ship.

I am used to playing Starfleet battles so they look like really big game pieces to me lol. It's just the argument that some here are making is just crazy. They are acting like the ships are way out of whack with each other when in fact the scale is almost perfect. Yes the tiniest of ships was made larger so you could actually see them but still the ships of the line are spot on.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am used to playing Starfleet battles so they look like really big game pieces to me lol. It's just the argument that some here are making is just crazy. They are acting like the ships are way out of whack with each other when in fact the scale is almost perfect. Yes the tiniest of ships was made larger so you could actually see them but still the ships of the line are spot on.

Ah yes but.........be it that the Defiant isn't "tiny"

Here is the scene I am referring to> Linkage

Now if all the ships were to scale based on that, they would be the "WOW that is a Star Ship".

I am headed to DS9 now, I will get a shot of my ship @ the docking port for the station.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I agree, the ships are close enough to thier actual relative sizes that nobody should be glancing at a Galaxy and going. "Wow that looks small, the scale is obviously off" I finally got my Galaxy today at the same time as my friend got his Vigilany, and I have to say I dwarfed him. No comparison. I was driving a massive beast of reserved power and he was practicly in a runabout. But that may have just been the perception.

EDIT: sorry for the edit, I'd also like to point out that they massivly upscaled DS9, but they said they did that to make it feel more impressive otherwise it would look almost small compared to a galaxy class.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I dunno. I'm against realistic scaling of imaginary property as the scale tends to be 0:0.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Ah yes but.........be it that the Defiant isn't "tiny"

Here is the scene I am referring to> Linkage

Now if all the ships were to scale based on that, they would be the "WOW that is a Star Ship".

I am headed to DS9 now, I will get a shot of my ship @ the docking port for the station.

The problem is not that the ship is not to scale but that the planets and starbases are not.
    Compare the ships to each other and they are very close. Also as pointed out in the Dev post the ships in the show were all over the place. they had to use multiple sourse to get agreed upon sizes. The Defiant really is a tiny ship when compared to the Galaxy.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Looking at this you can see why the upscaled DS9

Galaxy Class Docked
  • Options
    edited February 2010

I agree the station is way to large. But compare the Defiant to the other ships in that excellent picture posted a few posts back. The Defiant is only slightly to small compared to those.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Badem wrote: »
    Looking at this you can see why the upscaled DS9

Galaxy Class Docked

I think this picture gives a better idea as to how big DS9 is supposed to be than the pictures with the Defiant. i wonder why they scale was changed so much. Did different teams work on the pilot and the main series?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The problem is not that the ship is not to scale but that the planets and starbases are not.
    Compare the ships to each other and they are very close. Also as pointed out in the Dev post the ships in the show were all over the place. they had to use multiple sourse to get agreed upon sizes. The Defiant really is a tiny ship when compared to the Galaxy.
    What I mean is if the ships were scaled to DS9, not that they are not to scale as previously shown.

That would put the game in a whole new perspective.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    What I mean is if the ships were scaled to DS9, not that they are not to scale as previously shown.

That would put the game in a whole new perspective.

True that.

EDIT
    I just want to say again how impressed I am with your ship scale picture earlier. That was impressive work. How did you do it?
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    /signed, this would be a good idea.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    True that.

EDIT
    I just want to say again how impressed I am with your ship scale picture earlier. That was impressive work. How did you do it?

Using the ledge of Earth Dock I positioned each ship so that it was "resting" on the dock to establish a "ground" level and then just parked the ship on a specific point in relation to a previous screen shot, then used Paint.net app to copy and paste each ship into the original which had the Galaxy. Then I highlighted each section of the Ship scale image, copied and pasted then positioned it in relation to the ships in the original image.

I was actually surprised myself that the ships aligned with the original Scale poster.

If you notice with each of the ships, @ the rear each ship image you can see the edge of the Space Dock, that was my "center point" for reference. If you were to measure it, it wouldn't be down to the exact "meter"
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I continue to be impressed.
  • Options
    edited February 2010

Linkage

I just wanted to emphasis how nice and informative this post is
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Would love to see the klingon ship scaling addressed as well. Most of the birds of prey are well beyond battlecruiser size. :mad:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Tain wrote: »
    Would love to see the klingon ship scaling addressed as well. Most of the birds of prey are well beyond battlecruiser size. :mad:

I just started a Klingon character so I can't really do a scale comparison yet with the different ships. Though when I level I can see if I can repeat my pic with Klingon ships.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bump. Really want this fixed...
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Bump. Really want this fixed...

What in particular. The Klingon ships?