test content
What is the Arc Client?
Install Arc
Options

Remastered Trek movies?

SystemSystem Member, NoReporting Posts: 178,019 Arc User
edited February 2010 in Ten Forward
Anyone know what this is about?
Have been seeing all the movies 1-10 now popping up as "remastered" in online stores.
Does anyone know exactly how they are remastered versus the original releases?
Mainly confused about the late TNG movies like First Contact through Nemesis since they are relatively new.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Archived PostArchived Post Member Posts: 2,264,498 Arc User
    edited February 2010
    sound and picture quality have got alot better recently even since nemesis, i have the latest trek film with Pine/Quinto on blu-ray and on hi-def TV its amazing :eek:
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    The most noticiable difference can be seen in TMP. I'm not sure how you'd describe the change exactally, but as the Enterprise departs from Earth in the original release, a thin cable can be seen briefly. In the new release, this is not there. And if I remember correctly, the path leading up to V'Ger from the Enterprise is different as well.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I would read up on the BlueRay reviews of the ST movies.

From what i have read on blu-ray.com and IGN, some of the ST movies are good visually, some are ok, and some scored 2/5 (insurrection/search for spock on blu-ray.com)
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I am thinking that it is the Blu-Ray re-releases.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Except these are DVD's im looking at. :p
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have the DVDs. Big difference in quality between the VHS movies and the re-releases on DVD. The greates difference can be seen in the first 6. I have yet yo notice a change in the TNG movies, but I think I the ones I have were release for the 40th Anniversery. So I might be describing something completely different, but I'm not entirely sure.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I have the DVDs. Big difference in quality between the VHS movies and the re-releases on DVD. The greates difference can be seen in the first 6. I have yet yo notice a change in the TNG movies, but I think I the ones I have were release for the 40th Anniversery. So I might be describing something completely different, but I'm not entirely sure.

I'm not quite that ancient, its just that i have the entire collection of movies on DVD and now there is re-mastered DVD's out.
    Just trying to figure out if there is any difference really content wise like in the way of TOS original vs TOS re-mastered.
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    Alexraptor wrote: »
    I'm not quite that ancient, its just that i have the entire collection of movies on DVD and now there is re-mastered DVD's out.
    Just trying to figure out if there is any difference really content wise like in the way of TOS original vs TOS re-mastered.

Think of it as a subtle visual update that allows the older versions to have a cleaner look with some increased and enhanced visuals that make the older stuff look similar to the newer stuff. It's a way to make the older content more palatable to people who have no appreciation for the era in which the originals were created and want everything to be modern looking and "not cheesy."
  • Options
    edited February 2010
    I was disappointed that the Blu-Ray of TMP did not include the "Director's Cut" remastered FX scenes. The cheese factor was still felt pretty heavily.

My fiance' bought the Blu-Ray original set for me for Christmas. I've only watched up to Wrath of Kahn, and they did a wonderful job on that one. It also seems like the director's cut stuff was left in on TWoK.

The detail level is really amazing, even in The Motion Picture. I could personally pick out specs on the hull of the Enterprise that I had no clue were there before - and there was a time where I used to watch pretty closely.